Website Town Management Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I'm thinking it's the algorithm which processes the log data. The thing is I haven't added that much extra to cause this long load time. It could just be a looping problem I have overlooked, I need to go through all the lines of code and see if I can see any problems with it.

If I can't see any problems then I will just have to do the caching like I said before.

DeletedUser

If you had properly indexed your tables, then it's a problem in your algorithm. Try to optimize it and (if necessary) save your summaries from last time and continue from that information (if possible).

DeletedUser

I have found and fixed a problem with some unnecessary looping which caused a slow page load. The only other thing that really effects speed now is the amount of logs you have on record. I think I will have to introduce some sort of log cleaning, maybe delete log's over 3 weeks old?

The page seems to be loading in about 5-10 seconds now and that's with my over 300 logs. I have also put a page load timer at the bottom of the page so you can see how long it takes for your summary page to load.

DeletedUser

5 seconds for 300 records means 60 records/s hmm that looks somewhat slow to me.

DeletedUser

No it doesn't really work like that and unless you were testing it you wouldn't know the speed of it.

Anyway I have done some more optimization and got the page load time to around 2 seconds or less, which is about what it used to be.

DeletedUser

The page seems to be loading in about 5-10 seconds now and that's with my over 300 logs.
I was deducing that from your post as an average time and that page as such should be instant (without computations as such), also speed should be mainly dependent on number of records.

Those 2 seconds now are good. But don't let it discourage you to continue with your optimizations :D. But I'll maybe look at your product today.

DeletedUser

Don't take it offensively. I just don't know your programming experience and skills. That way I'm posting hints that can help you locate problems.

DeletedUser

Well thanks for trying to help. The main reason for most the bugs is because I'm coding it quickly and not doing full white box testing. I'm just letting the users do black box testing for me and as bugs are found I'm fixing them. This way it saves me the time consuming task of white box testing all the code.

DeletedUser

Updated to Version 1.21

I updated the Town Management Tool a few days ago to version 1.21 but I couldn't post about it, due to some "forum" problems. Anyway here's what's changed for everyone who hasn't already discovered the changes.

1. Town members & levels can now be imported by pasting in residents list. This makes it a lot easier to keep the player levels up to date which was quite hard before.

2. Town members are now sorted by level making it more like in-game list. Just like is says really this makes it easier to see and find members. This includes the summary pages and town member page.

3. Summary page no longer takes town member names from logs. The summary page used to get member names from the logs and add them if they was not on the member list. As you can easily import members this makes more sense as the logs may have members which have been dismissed. Although I overall totals do as there would be gaps in the money and you can see where it all came from.

4. You can now create a link to a public summary page for all town member to see. You can create your link on the summary page which allows you to post it on your town forums. This allows other town members to see how much they owe in tax this week without logging in. The link is secure and the only way for other people to see it is if a town member was to give it to someone. If you think this has happened or just want to be safe, click remake link and you will get another secure link.

DeletedUser

I get errors when the user has a . in the name, such as:

Duel: caveman8fb vs. mr. vincent vega On 1/31/09 at 6:20 PM
caveman8fb
Level 24
Dueling level 34
challenger
Duel location
Domination - HQ mr. vincent vega
Level 28
Dueling level 28
No hit
Strike: Right shoulder
- 51 HP
No hit
Strike: Left shoulder
- 31 HP
No hit
- 59 HP
No hit
- 62 HP
No hit
No hit
No hit
No hit
- 18 HP
- 54 HP
No hit
- 20 HP
Total health points
- 18 HP
Total health points
- 277 HP
caveman8fb wins the duel, gains 24 experience points and steals $21 from mr. vincent vega.

DeletedUser

Also have problems with the duel report when somebody passes out. Such as:

Duel: caveman8fb vs. Dizzy On 1/29/09 at 11:40 PM
caveman8fb
Level 23
Dueling level 32
challenger
Duel location
Domination - HQ Dizzy
Level 24
Dueling level 24
No hit
Strike: Left arm
- 52 HP
No hit
Strike: Right arm
- 8 HP
No hit
Total health points
- 60 HP
Dizzy passes out. caveman8fb wins the duel, gains 9 experience points and steals $13 from Dizzy.

DeletedUser

Thanks for letting me know about the . in names I didn't know that. I did however already know about it not accepting duels where you pass out.

I will try to resolve these issues in the next update which should be a big one ;). Just lacking the free time at the moment to work on it.

Red Falcon

Also have problems with the duel report when somebody passes out. Such as:

Duel: caveman8fb vs. Dizzy On 1/29/09 at 11:40 PM
caveman8fb
Level 23
Dueling level 32
challenger
Duel location
Domination - HQ Dizzy
Level 24
Dueling level 24
No hit
Strike: Left arm
- 52 HP
No hit
Strike: Right arm
- 8 HP
No hit
Total health points
- 60 HP
Dizzy passes out. caveman8fb wins the duel, gains 9 experience points and steals $13 from Dizzy.

Dude! How did you do that? I'd like to try that!

DeletedUser

can there be a tool made, to count same stuff with dueling...

what is natural lvl , dueling lvl how man duels did this day, in a week in a month.
possibility to know the % of money lefdt to "gear up maximaly"... and stuff ?

DeletedUser

Are you talking about a tool to see how many duels you did in a day/week? or everyone? Also what did you mean about the money "gear up" thing? Can you explain your idea in more detail.

Someone actually had asked me about creating a tool to find out the best gear you have to wear when duelling. Is this something similar to what you mean?

DeletedUser

Have you considered to make it multi-language like weststats is? How about makeing it general and parsing/text get from special language file? After it's done, you can just put the language file for other volunteers on web to translate it into other languages. That would help you and them too. But that depends only what are your plans with this tool and how much traffic you can handle.

Edit: Or you can make an open source project from it :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.