Duel Changes

DeletedUser36182

Black Max

I did like the idea of being able to make a more rounded character and still survive the west.

I had similar idea adding sheriff and deputy hats to towns but then it would become time consuming filling those roles. Adding a recovery of stolen loot might make it worthwhile. Say if sheriff can defeat attacker within a certain amount of time he could recover what was stolen and get a percentage of that. Even from multiple towns. Adding that element of risk to being a "bad guy".

The thought of a new "mirror buff" that would turn you into one of the mirror npc's people could buy from the shop had occurred to me too but knew that would only start trouble lol

DeletedUser23737

Me again...

(Thanks ViriM and long stroke for your comments :) ).

I am really grasping at straws atm to keep dueling... in fact... to keep playing is also at risk here for me. Why?

On one world (Dakota) I was #1xp dueler for a time, but now find myself armed with a bible trying to lose duels just to get some new targets. Dueling there was no fun at all because the strategy of dueling was gone. (0-5 targets world wide tends to do this).

No hitting enemy players before fort battles, no revenge duels for our lower or less duel-able players, no contributing in town vrs town fueds, or alliance vrs alliance wars. No getting easy income from plain old armed robbery duels either.

After 4 weeks, I now have about 19 targets in the world. How many of them duel me? Just two, and that is because they realise from chatting to me that I am now such easy duel and game xp. I have even helped put another player up to #2 spot there. This upsets me no end as I had to fight my way to the top. While the current #2 dueler is a good dueler and nice person, I somehow feel I am cheating him by putting him from #5 to #2 spot through my many bible wielding loses to him. ((I need to point out that it is not I alone who fights fairly to get to #1 xp dueler. I apologise to any dueler who is doing just what I did and is dueling like crazy to get to #1 spot.))

I just don't want to spend a dime on that world as I am only playing to lose, lose, lose. After years of playing there... I am really struggling to enjoy that world atm. Who plays to lose? I played to enjoy the win, and to help my town mates.

I am now in a town of one there, because a player who is in a major town needs to believe they are adding to their town... and not diminishing it by losing duels.

On El Dorado, I was a zero motivation dueler... with a nice duel record... but now... slowly my duel xp is rising. Yes... slowly. Again, I find no duelers who are targeting me. Why would they? Where is the advantage of taking out a rival dueler? There is none.

I won't some day enter a level where there is just duelers to test myself against because already players are losing duels to keep their duel level low... but also because somehow dueling is continually being relegated, down graded... censured.... to the point where the once formidable duelers I battled hard against have quit and gone on to new pastures.

At some point I will need to forsake my duel record... and start the process of losing? to keep this game interesting??

I am not spending on that world either... what is the point?

I am trying to highlight how the West is becoming very 'correct' and 'sanitised'. The fun part of this game was the strategy and the coming together of a town.

Remember when shops were actually useful? and when building the town... the builders were prized and protected... as any 'good' items your shop had could give your town the advantage over rival towns? Where duelers would hover like angry hornets to protect their builders... and where town wars erupted from dueling them?

With all the many great changes to this game... some changes have not helped at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35520

the problem still seems to be that things in the west are needing to be updated, but its never universal. Seems like fix one thing, break another these days.

I enjoyed collecting until the ridiculousness of it became too much. Why spend spend spend, when I can sell sell sell and then just buy what i need with in game cash and avoid spending/buying nuggets almost altogether?

I enjoy FF'ing, but if you are on the wrong world with few players, multis, players who skill for their stats and not to win FF's, etc then they are not worth the headache of dealing with drama associated.

Dueling, as with almost all areas of the game, is no where near as enjoyable as it was 4 years plus ago. I find most who were good are gone and what's left are players who attack workers or FF'ers and think they are duelers for it. Dakota once had good duelers, its a ghost town largely these days and who wants to engage in resistance duels nonstop, especially when no one attacks back... El Dorado I can only attack 6-12 players, all of whom are like ranked 30 or more in the duel rankings, I KO half of them, and rarely loose. When i do, its pretty much stance only/luck. The reason being is the actual good duelers have left, bible dueled down, or cannot be bothered to duel. Lifetime El D I have been challenged 183 times and 100 plus of those have to be bible duels. I try to poke people with multiple duels a day and they still don't hit back, most cannot be bothered to fix their stance. dueling just seems dead. And I stand by my past comments of instead of forcing people who do not want to duel to duel (like builders FF'es etc) why are they not making people want to duel? Resistance builds don't make people want to duel. Its not gratifying to beat someone 56-0 or loose 0-0. Where's the rivalries of years past where you tried to KO your nemesis... gone, because if you skill for power you will loose half your battles to players you have zero business loosing to.

And adventures, I give credit to those who can still play the things. I mean 1 single adventure in a year... whatever happened to the bear hunt? Or just another map!!!

And none of the above is to say that positive changes have not occurred over the last few years, but the core elements to the game are what seem to be broken and needing a fix. We are tired of more items, more quests that are just go here and do those for literally nothing of a reward, etc... This is a changing and evolving game sure, but its not about hanging onto the past or a certain play style, its about making changes that improve upon the past and that certainly is debatable.

Ares Venganza

Hi Fellow dueling enthusiasts,

I really want a place to share my thoughts on the recent changes to dueling. I haven't really worried about the past changes because I could find ways around them to still enjoy the West experience.

I know there's three core elements to playing the West: questing (which involves jobbing), fort fighting and dueling. Take away one element... and the West experience is less somehow. Think about it... a world with no dueling? or with no fort battles. Would it be the same? Not imo.

The point behind the latest 10% min motivation effort is to increase every duelers duel level? so over time workers and fort fighters will be able to play this game without being dueled?

Well... the reality is simple: Duel players will start to win 10 duels to get the xp and then they will equip the bible and lose 30 duels. This will mean resistant builds will be favoured as it can better handle the losses. Duel records (wins vrs loss records) will no longer be a source of pride. So the world will see a very one dimensional dueling playing field.

Honour duels? With skill buying, how can a player seriously pick duels that will give honour points with hidden aspects such as this? Well, they can't.

Possible solutions:

Erase the duel level. It is actually an out-dated feature. Skill buying scuppered it. (Eg: A lev 80 player with a duel level of 140 can now duel a lev 130 player (d/l 150) who has bought 20 levels of skills... and this is supposed to test the lev 80's duel ability?).

Instead any level player can duel +20 levels or -20 levels.

Make fort fighting and dueling skills compatible.
Leadership becomes shooting or vigor, stamina become toughness, hiding becomes reflex. (dodging and aim remain the same :p) Why? A town now has many more players who can enjoy two aspects of the game (dueling and forting).

New feature: Sheriffs. Sheriffs are nominated players of a town who defend the citizens of their town. (Can be done much like a founders/councilors hat feature). When a duel is initiated against a town member, if they are within a certain vicinity of their town, then the duel gets enacted on the closest sheriff (is based on player level however). If there is no available sheriff (sleeping or KO'd)... then the town member gets to face their own duel. (Hence why making fort skills and duel skills compatible).

What might this feature mean? 1) Workers can be dedicated to their field of choice (helping their town) and know there is a nearby sheriff who will defend them against attacks.
2) Duelers/Soldiers who are Sheriffs will become a vital feature of a town's prosperity.

Any thoughts on this?

^ This is actually not a bad idea.^ inno should hire this guy for ideas.

DeletedUser32747

Funny, after SO many complaints about melee getting an edge, this event starts, and the ONLY dueling set, IS A MELEE SET!!!
INNO, it seems to me, that you guys ALL want the players to play a specific way(your way). Why not just do away with ranged dueling and ALL shooting weapons?
You guys/gals obviously want melee duelers only playing this game.
Is it possible to delete this thread(as i am the original poster)?
It is plainly obvious that it accomplishes nothing to propose ideas that make things equal(unless the suggestions fall completely in line with the game you all feel we should play you way ONLY).

I was a dueler, but after watching all your updates make dueling completely lopsided, i am barely able to even keep logging in to this game anymore...

Please delete this thread, or point me in the direction of deleting it myself, since all it has done is made another place for people to argue.
I get it now, if you don't like melee dueling, quit the game. POINT TAKEN.

DeletedUser33353

meh, I love ranged...and I love the challenge. Bring it on knife fighters. :)

DeletedUser35120

The new Collin's set may have high bonuses.. it doesn't really qualify as a great dueling set for melee.. It doesn't give any aim.. one would still say Cullen's is more balanced as a dueling set for melee still.

DeletedUser

The new Collin's set may have high bonuses.. it doesn't really qualify as a great dueling set for melee.. It doesn't give any aim.. one would still say Cullen's is more balanced as a dueling set for melee still.

It gives a lot of dexterity though, which accounts for some aim. Although why a melee set should give that much dexterity is lost on me.

DeletedUser36559

Also there is hardly any tactics so range duelers have a slight advantage when attacking players in Collin's. Although Collin's seems OP on the skill basis alone, only certain skills have huge bonuses while Cullen's is more roundly balanced.

asdf124

Also there is hardly any tactics so range duelers have a slight advantage when attacking players in Collin's. Although Collin's seems OP on the skill basis alone, only certain skills have huge bonuses while Cullen's is more roundly balanced.

I thought that they nerfed some of tactics to make em less powerful than what they were.

So, your argument might become less powerful.

Pankreas PorFavor

I didn't want to start a new topic, so I just picked the latest duel related thread, I hope nobody will mind..?

Anyway, I just noticed something interesting in my stats. I started in w9 in 2009. In July 2012 I got the achievement for being attacked 50 times. On July 9 2015 I got an achievement for being attacked 250 times. 3 years - 200 attacks. If I didn't reskill to pure trader sometime in spring 2015, I probably still would not have that achievement because summer 2014 - spring 2015 I was a dueler, and FFer before that.
But anyway - in 5 months (July 9 - December 9) I got attacked another 126 times. That's 50% of the number of attacks in 6 previous years! And my dueling level is 450, which means that I am NOT farmed by those bad bad bullies we like to call 0 motivation duelers. Each and every attack is by the brave XP duelers.

To draw you a picture:
- before duel motivation split and all the other changes that were put in place to fight 0mot duelers, before job KO changes etc. in 6 years I got attacked 250 times (almost 100 attacks after I reskilled to pure trader in spring 2015, partly because I wanted to get that achievement about being attacked 250x). I had full control, and no problems with 0mot or any other duelers, no reason to complain.
- after all the changes, job KO removal etc., in 5 months I got dueled 126 times - exclusively by XP duelers. Sure, that number could be lower, but I would need to initiate duels with no gear/weapon and get KOd intentionally, giving someone free xp, improving their dueling stats. If they want that, let them work for it.

The point? 0mot duelers were never a problem.
Again, I am not complaining about being dueled. I am just saying - next time you think 0mot is the problem, think again. And stop fixing stuff that isn't broken.

DeletedUser36559

Heh, had my account for 1 year and 9 months and I still haven't got that 'get dueled 250 times achievement' and pretty much most of the duels that we against me were when I was in work clothes as opposed to duel clothes...

DeletedUser19518

...The point? 0mot duelers were never a problem.
Again, I am not complaining about being dueled. I am just saying - next time you think 0mot is the problem, think again. And stop fixing stuff that isn't broken.

The new players didnt like 0 mot. That was the problem for Inno.
V
$1

Pankreas PorFavor

The majority of new players didn't stay, a lot of old players left so today we have worlds with no more than 1000 really active players. Yes, I know I am just stating the obvious, but it was not a good move to listen to new players and design the game based on their wishes (which were based on not knowing how to play the game).

DeletedUser23737

The sad reality is developers (for all the amazing good things they have added/refined and improved) have over looked the very thing they still advertise on the West Log-in page...

"Discover new lands and experience exciting adventures and duels! The West awaits"

Back in the day... the adventure was probably the quests (now it is quests/fort battles/adventures)... and the duels... well they just made this game for the likes of players like myself. :)

The quests can still be almost impossible to do with out the help of the walk throughs from sites like tw-db. Also... there's a serious lack of new quests to help players level as you pass the level 100 mark. 2 areas that would be great to get fixed... as the slow pace of leveling above level 100 detracts from some of the many very good aspects of this game game.

Duels were all about proving oneself against other players... back when a level 60 player was actually a level 60 player. (skill buying should be made into level buying imo) They were also a way of protecting your town members who had distinctive roles to play...

Duellers/soldiers were the protectors and trouble makers :) the war bringers and bone breakers... , adventurers tended to be the money players who financed town builds and shop items, builders built the town and opened up shop items to help the rest of the town perform their various tasks more efficiently... shiny weapons/better duel clothes... new clothes to open up new jobs etc.

Everyone had a role to play.

New changes I'd like to see to bring back the reliance of each character class on the other classes:

1) Having more levels to build shops (tailor/gun smith/general store) up too... and each level will give new clothing items that both have better duel stats and/or job stats. Opening up a new level should cost money, and this would mean town treasury's have more purpose than just paying for a fort battle and time building a shop. Money making players would be needed to help fund a town's build.

2) Clothes and other items should be specifically targetted to jobs and dueling. E.g: a 'green' shirt/pants/hat/shoes/belt... can help with a specific job... eg: felling trees... so they give vigor/stamina/reflex/appearance. Linking them to player level can mean they improve as a player gets bigger. Other clothing items can target other jobs or duel builds. Perhaps up grades after level 3 can only be done with nuggets if inno is worried about losing possible revenue.
This way... players skilled to duel, build, trade, fort fight... can get to do a wider variety of jobs, and still perform competitively at their respective areas they have skilled themselves at. It also means clothes found in towns will be more useful and valuable to collectors and for trading on the market... both pluses for players who enjoy this aspect of the game.

3) Towns should be able to build up some kind of defence against duelers/soldiers. (I could suggest that the bigger the town... the wider its sphere of protection becomes... where any jobs that fall within a town's sphere/influence... no person from that town can be duelled while working there. The town's sphere would be slightly shaded on the map. Towns member numbers should increase to at least 80 imo.

4) Make it possible through upgrading... for shop items to be comparable with clothing sets from tombolas... at the moment all tombola items make shop items redundant. This is something that needs to be tweaked and made better.

4) Make fort fight skills and duel skills the same. This would enable fort fighters to defend themselves better. Eg: hiding now becomes reflex, stamina becomes toughness, leadership is a combination of shooting and vigor, dodge and aim... stay the same :p , health too.

Please, please, please... developers... listen to these ideas/... as something needs to be done remove the boredom of the West... and make it a lot more fun to play again.

DeletedUser

Okay, so you know the rules for duelling were changed recently? Well I'm getting an earful from my friends now because apparently they now find it physically impossible to KO ANY quest-NPCs.
Thankfully, I've already passed the vast majority of them, but they haven't. Now they're all saying that the daily NPC duels are wiping out 90% of their HP and when they have to KO a quest-NPC, they get KO'd themselves and only manage to do about 25 or so damage whereas before the changes took effect, they managed pretty much the same as I did.

So that said, as the old rules for duelling have apparently been set on fire, p'd on, the ashes then danced on before being thrown out of the window, does anyone know what is the best setup for duelling - re: Where to put points, stances etc.?
Before this, an Aim of 100 and a Dodging of around 80 was more than enough. Now apparently, not.
So. any advice? I.E. Will they now need to up Aim to around 200 and Dodging to around 160 or will that have no effect whatsoever?

Like I say, I'm pretty much good as I've already KO'd most of them, but they keep saying, "Will you go on the forum and ask for us to see how we can KO them again?" or words to that effect.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :)

DeletedUser33353

Actually, the dueling was only tweaked a bit. I am sure your friends can figure out how to ko a npc.