World Cup

DeletedUser22685

RAWDOG, I think he was calling you a noob because it seemed like you thought Italy were still in it. I also think he was joking :dry:

DeletedUser1121

I agree Argentina had holes in their defense. I don't agree entirely about the rest though, as the problem was not merely their defense, but a huge dependency on Messi and Teves (primarily Messi), both of whom were sick (Messi with a cold and Teves with some stomach issue). These were noted by the game announcers even before the game began (and a few times during).

Ultimately it was Maradona's fault for not changing-up, having only one format, becoming predictable, and especially for not adjusting his team structure after Messi was too sick to play (review the video and you'll see, he was completely incapable of playing, sweating and red-faced after only 10+ minutes of the game). Maradona had only one card to play, and that only works if you're playing one game, not a series of games. Germany's team managers were smarter.

I agree. The defense is a weak spot. I've said it before. Those two central defenders are just to static. The real problem wasn't in defense though. The problems started in midfield. There just weren't enough players there for Argentina who could get a ball from the opponent. Germany played with 3 offensive thinking midfielders (Ozil, Schweinsteiger and Khedira) These guys had all the time to do whatever they wanted to do. They missed a player like Cambiasso. No clue why Maradonna didn't take him to the World Cup.

DeletedUser

Oh no! Paul picked Spain.
Then again, the only match he predicted wrong in the Euro Cup 2008 was the match vs. Spain, so there's still hope :laugh:

DeletedUser

Oh no! I just put my life savings on Germany. I hope those Russian guys play nice when its my time to cough up the cash which I don't have.

DeletedUser1121

is this your first time? then they might go for the knees.
If you fooled them more often, i think you will be sleeping with the fishes tonight :)

DeletedUser

Even tough I always knew that Holland was going to win for sure and started watching when the time was about 81 min, I was pleased to see that both teams kept the pressure on. And after Uruguay's second goal in additional time there was a slight possibility that they can even the score. Its good to see teams who keep on going no mater what and fight till the end. Cause it might very well be worth it.

DeletedUser

Holland's second goal was offsides. Once again, the refs decide the winners

DeletedUser13020

Was not offsides as since it was obviously a shot and not a pass. Sneijder shot to the left side and it was deflected by TWO defenders and zoomed pass (makes no contact with) the other Holland player and went in through the bottom right. And anyways Uruguay deserves to lose after that game against Ghana. I am glad that it was a nail-biter for them at the end so the little hope that they had at the end was stomped and kicked out the window when the ref blew the whistle.

DeletedUser1121

Holland's second goal was offsides. Once again, the refs decide the winners

Actually it wasn't offside. The replay the FIFA has shown was stopped when Sneijder has already shot. When you look closely, the moment Sneijder shoots, van Persie isn't offside. I will try to get you a printscreen if you want but i have a terrible headache...

But the first goal by van Bronckhorst is the gola of the tournament if you ask me. that was some nice shooting there.

edit: Hangover or not, here is the printscreen:
2r2vecw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13020

lol that shows him being way offsides. But it doesn't matter because 1. it was a shot not a pass, and 2. that other player never touched the ball.

DeletedUser1121

Well, you can be offside when you block the keepers sight of the ball when another player shoots.

DeletedUser

Well, you can be offside when you block the keepers sight of the ball when another player shoots.
Exactly. The goalie's line of sight was blocked by a player who was offsides and, in fact, the player had to move in order to avoid making contact with the ball, forcing the goalie to compensate for the possibility the other player may redirect the ball's path. Offsides doesn't require actual contact with the ball, only that the ball is passed/shot forward when a team player is forward of any opposing players (sans the goalie).

DeletedUser1121

It wasn't offside. You can only be offside when you are between the keeper and the last man at the time of the shot. Since he was atleast at the same height as the defender, it can never be offside.

The argument that the ball was touched and he would be offside at the moment that it happend doesn't go either since you can only be offside when the ball comes from one of your teammates.

DeletedUser

i feel sorry for the commentators,i cant remember any of the dutch players names but im sure they would do well in a game of scrabble.

DeletedUser1121

Well, you can always become a fan of South Corea.
The only name you need to remember then is Lee.

DeletedUser

japans got to be the worst,how would you know when they are making a substitution?

DeletedUser1121

they found out a nice thing for that a while ago.
They all decided to put numbers on their back.

DeletedUser

It wasn't offside. You can only be offside when you are between the keeper and the last man at the time of the shot. Since he was atleast at the same height as the defender, it can never be offside.
Umm, Desi, perhaps you should look at the pic above, and the video.

The argument that the ball was touched and he would be offside at the moment that it happend doesn't go either since you can only be offside when the ball comes from one of your teammates.
Umm, the ball came from one of his teammates...