World Cup

DeletedUser1121

I did see the goal about 15 times now (it is on Dutch television 24/7).
I still see (pic i posted proofs it) that at the moment Sneijder shot, van Persie was on the same height as the defender.

After that the direction of the ball got changed twice by Uruguayan players. But this all doesn't matter because at the moment of the shot he was onside.

DeletedUser14006

Let us now dissect that second Oranje goal and see why it shouldn't have stood. But let's first explain what "offside" means.

According to the Laws Of The Game, a player is in an offside position if he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent. But it is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

This essentially means that a player can stay near the opposition goalkeeper throughout the 90 minutes, but he will not be deemed offside unless at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

a) interfering with play or
b) interfering with an opponent or
c) gaining an advantage by being in that position.

But a player is not in an offside position if:

a) he is in his own half of the field of play or
b) he is level with the second-last opponent or
c) he is level with the last two opponents

Now let us apply these rules to Wesley Sneijder's goal.

When Sneijder took the shot on the Uruguayan goal, striker Robin Van Persie was (apparently) in line - to the assistant referee - with defender Diego Godin, who was the second-last opponent (the last one is the Uruguayan goalkeeper Fernando Muslera). However, TV replays showed that his right foot was beyond the line, and according to the interpretation of the laws, the Arsenal striker was in an offside position, as a part of his body with which it is legal to score a goal was beyond the second-last defender.

Now, Sneijder took an attempt on the Uruguayan goal rather than try to pass the ball towards Van Persie. So in an ideal situation, Van Persie wouldn't have been in an offside position had he just allowed the ball to go past him. Suppose Sneijder's shot hadn't taken a deflection off Maxi Pereira and had gone in, then the Dutch striker wouldn't have been deemed to be interfering with the play and the goal would have been legitimate.

But the ball did take a deflection towards Van Persie, who apparently tried to turn the ball home with his right foot, which directly denotes that the 26-year-old was interfering with the play - this is an offside offence.

Even if for argument's sake, we take it that Van Persie was just letting the ball move by removing his leg from its path, he was still interfering with play. The Arsenal striker was directly in front of Muslera and was blocking his sight of vision, therefore putting Muslera at a disadvantage and interfering with play. The Dutchman was in an 'active' state of play at the time.

All of which points to the fact that Van Persie was in an offside position. Of course, the entire hypothesis is based on the fact that the positioning of his right foot placed him in an offside position - this is, in turn, based on the interpretation that for a player to be deemed onside, his entire body should be in line with the second-last opponent.

Once again a controversial decision left an ever-lasting impact on a game's result. Not that you can entirely blame the referee's assistant: after all, we - all those not on the touchline dressed in black with a flag in one hand - have the luxury of watching the video over and over again, while the poor referee has just one chance to make his decision.

Source

DeletedUser

Yep --- offsides

http://foreign.peacefmonline.com/sports/201007/55755.php

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/06/world-cup-2010-holland-uruguay-live

http://www.worldcupblog.org/world-c...-dubious-decision-the-dutch-offside-goal.html

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/world-cup-live-uruguay-vs-netherlands/

I found many more articles, all of which contend it was, indeed, offsides. In fact, I couldn't find a reputable article that claimed otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ9COgxn0iU

"Technically that is offside. Interferring with an opponent as he clearly put gk off with attempted touch. It takes luck to win a WC!!" ~ Graham Poll -- http://twitter.com/MAIL_GPoll/status/17892252534

DeletedUser1121

The whole point is that the shot taken to show van Persie van off side was when the ball had already didn't touch the foot of Sneijder anymore. Offside goes for the moment of play. When you take a look at the shot and freeze it when he actually shoots the ball, van Persie wasn't offside.

Besides, you forget one important part of the rule.
Fifa have stated that when in doubt the referee should give the attacking side the benefit of the doubt (although it is ussually done the other way around).

DeletedUser

Besides, you forget one important part of the rule.
Fifa have stated that when in doubt the referee should give the attacking side the benefit of the doubt (although it is ussually done the other way around).

That should cover it.

DeletedUser

Spain deserved it. They started the game well and kept on pressuring Germany. Spain had a lot more shots on goal than Germany and you just knew that eventually they would prevail. They should have scored their second as well, but the attacker got greedy and didn't pass the ball.

DeletedUser

Spain won! YAY! I realy tought they would lose against Germany. Oh well...

But the assistant referees can go shoot themselves... and I can't believe what Pedro did :|. A blind man could give the pass to Torres.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1121

Spain controlled most of the game. Their midfield is just great. All the movement. All the technical players. Great to watch. Strange thing is that they were the least productive squad in the semi's. I think it has something to do with the way teams play against Spain. Germany did the same (don't know if it was their first choice).

I hoped Germany would go to the finals because i believe that the Netherlands had a better chance of beating them than Spain.

I think that Spain is beatable. Holland needs to put preassure on their midfielders as early as possible. Most attacks start at Alonso. So somebody needs to be so close to him he could count the hair on his head. When the ball gets to Xavi or Iniesta, you already are to late. They are great on the ball.

Another point that could be used to our advantage is their rightback (Ramos) who likes to attack. This leaves a lot of space which could be exploited.

I don't think it is going to be a great game to watch. But then again, finals ussualy aren't the best games played.

DeletedUser3543

I did have the offside rule explained for the ladies, but recently re-set my phone, so have lost my text messages :(

Perhaps someone can find a link to it somewhere?

It describes the offside rule perfectly in terms of shopping queues and handbags :D

DeletedUser

hup holland hup!

Who's with me? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Called Netherlands winning their first one since the beginning! Go Dutch!