Things I like/dislike in this game

DeletedUser

things i love about the game:
99.9%

the 0.1% that i dont like:
crybabies who are always crying around saying how much they dislike this and that and this should be changed and that should be improved etc.

Agreed!
What was the need for this thread?

DeletedUser9470

When I started this game, like many others, I chose the path that wasn't a dueler. I wanted to make money, gain xp, build a town, and try my luck on jobs. My stats were not dueling oriented and I didn't have the equipment to duel.
I was constantly being dueled and KO'd although I wasn't a voluntary participant. I was told it was part of the game to be bullied around. I like many aspects of this game but I never liked the fact that duelers can prey on the non duelers without incurring any prosecution or penalties. We now have bounty hunter, but with all the money in the game, it is a minor deterrent.
The very definition of duel is the voluntary participation of the parties involved. KO'ing an unarmed, unequipped, and unwilling person is not a duel.
Stats of 600 victories and 50 losses don't impress me, and can be interpreted many ways.

I do like the bounty hunter and the ncp dueler updates. What we really need are prison cells, ncp deputies, and a posse.

I fall in the category of born again dueler. I moved from defenseless for most of my levels to being able to put up a fight. Even if I lose a duel, at least, I can dish good damage. Every victory I earned (except for 1) was well earned defending myself against an aggressor(someone who thought he could beat me).

This is my opinion and I don't expect everybody to agree with me. I understand that some people play the duel part of this game like an arcade game and that is what they enjoy.

We like this game for different reasons, and everybody has rants on certain parts of it.

The versatility of the game allows many styles of play, and to each his own.

Born again duelers are as legitimate as all the other types.

Pedro Vasco

i understand mate, i went through the worker build myself, and its difficult when you loose a duel.
but then there are ways around it.
duelling is part of the action in a world, if you want to be part of the action then you have to put up with duelling.
if not then just put yourself at the edge of the world, far away from everyone, not many duellers go out of their way to go hit a builder miles away.

DeletedUser16008

We like this game for different reasons, and everybody has rants on certain parts of it.

The versatility of the game allows many styles of play, and to each his own.

Born again duelers are as legitimate as all the other types.

Pedro Vasco

Amen to that Pedro I have no problem with born again duelers in the slightest, I do enjoy being around to welcome them to the fold tho rather than 70 or so duel lvls too high to do so and being unable to protect my fellow townies. Something that only low duel lvl duelers can do at a later date in the game and most people forget, who watches the adventurers or builders back when a dueler pops in to smack them when your hard high lvl duelers are all to high duel lvl to respond ? yup thats right the 0 motive guy whos still able to go get retribution.

DeletedUser16628

There is very few things I don't like and I can learn to live with them or most of them.The game has become more individual than team oriented other than forts.Just keep trying and see how it goes.

DeletedUser

I just want to present a thought: After reading these posts, it's obvious there are some dislikes. I would love it if you can think about those dislikes, mull over them and figure out what can be done to remedy them without breaking the game, then post your ideas in the Ideas & Brainfarts section, on separate threads (one for each idea).

This game doesn't get better on its own, and the developers don't play it like you do. Having your insights can help them to improve upon the game whilst removing some of your dislikes. So get busy ya bunch o' whiners. hehe

DeletedUser

I wish that more ingame notification of a fort battle would be added. Like say for example there is a fort battle in a county. Well when you declare, everyone in your alliance gets a report alerting them to the battle, with a link to the fort and an invite to come and join your attack. Same for defense.

DeletedUser22575

I wish that more ingame notification of a fort battle would be added. Like say for example there is a fort battle in a county. Well when you declare, everyone in your alliance gets a report alerting them to the battle, with a link to the fort and an invite to come and join your attack. Same for defense.

checking there to see what has already been suggested might be helpful also.

this is currently an ongoing suggestion currently being considered.

http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=41686

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28464

:(

Disliking something about a game doesn't make anybody a crybaby.
Also, some players want to close threads because they don't like the thread.

The forum moderators are extremely capable of deciding the fate of threads.

Here is a tip:
If you don't like the topic of a thread, just don't read it. Those interested in the topic are not interested in reading "case closed", "bad thread", "crybaby", "stupid thread" or anything of the sort.

Things I like/dislike in this game is a thread I enjoy. That's why I posted in it and I read every new post. I'm interested in knowing other player's opinion of the game.

There are some thread that don't attract my attention, but I see that others are interested in the topic. I don't go in their thread and post, "lets close this thread, its lame".

Pedro:hmf:

DeletedUser15127

there are new items and i don't know for what are they
please write information
and new quest:halloween
where is crystal ball?
there is no information
i dont' like this:)

DeletedUser

From a complete noob's standpoint:

-No account upkeep --no need to worry that my character is starving, my town is in shambles, etc
-You have complete control of your character no matter the class bonus
-The quests*
-It's free and the team behind the scenes actually seems to take action against rule breakers (a big plus)

Dislikes
-It's too easy to level in the beginning. I understand the easiness of going from lvl 1 to 2 however your character is broke, has no equipment, hardly any skills. By time you manage to get enough money from doing jobs to buy a few pieces of crappy eq and perhaps a donkey you're already at level 7+, still broke and the quest items you received are either obsolete or very soon to be obsolete. Possible solution? After level 5 get a few hundred $$. Yes I know about the fishing rod but that only levels you faster.

-Being a free player, 3 clicks and you are done. No reason to hang around.

-*the quests. I do LOVE doing the quests however I completely screwed myself out of some good stuff because I chose path 'A' opposed to path 'B'. There is no going back, nothing to be done about it. Had I known even a little bit of what the outcome would have been I would have chosen differently. I know about weststats and the forum for quests would have really helped BUT is it really right that players have to read spoilers to find out whether or not they are screwing themselves? Possible solution? When at a decision quest let players know going down path 'A' the road will give them more xp and a piece of gear, going down path 'B' will give them more cash and a skill bonus. Something like that.

-Male gear vs female gear. Damn I wish I had picked male and a name that wasn't gender specific. No complete gentleman's set for me! 2nd point, I have to play the same character name in different worlds unless I use a second email. IF there is a way around that, I don't know it.

Almost forgot
- Buying an item from the market, traveling hours to pick up and then being dueled by players in the town. WTF.

Overall I like the game, I log in everyday and know now to read the spoilers in advance. I am still a noob and play for free so go ahead and start ripping.

DeletedUser

I like the quests and the fact that I can hang around to do them when they're added (at least some of them, my skills suck) even though everybody else in my town has quit playing.

I dislike the fact that you have to be more intelligent than I am to be able to consistently complete quests when they are available. I'm at level 76 now, and I still can't finish the quest line I got at level 35 (among others) because I can't do all of the jobs. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser28464

quest jobs

I like the quests and the fact that I can hang around to do them when they're added (at least some of them, my skills suck) even though everybody else in my town has quit playing.

I dislike the fact that you have to be more intelligent than I am to be able to consistently complete quests when they are available. I'm at level 76 now, and I still can't finish the quest line I got at level 35 (among others) because I can't do all of the jobs. :rolleyes:

I haven't had that trouble, because my ability and skill distribution have always been based on 2 factors : being able to do a few decent experience jobs and a few money jobs, then quest requirements.
Here are a few tips to acquire this goal:
Don't distribute your ability and skill points when you level unless it is to do a much better experience or money job then you currently are doing, or to fulfill the skill requirements of the jobs needed in your current uncompleted quests.
It is a must to get the gentleman's set and the Indian set if you are a quest-er, these sets give huge bonuses that will help you to do many jobs you would normally be unable to do.
The Charlatan set and Mexican can also be very useful. I would work on buying these too.
For the much harder epic quests, you might need to re spec some skills and ability points.
As a general guideline, don't put too many ability points in strength and mobility. Hide and shoot will be important skills. The Charisma ability will need a lot of points.

Hope that helps,
Pedro

DeletedUser28464

Indian Set

True. Unless you play a female character where Dancer's set is musthave.

Not true, you need to get actually only moccasins.
;)

I think you will need only moccasins if you have some of the best equipment in the game. From experience, the Indian set was very useful when I couldn't afford much of the good equipment in the game. The golden necklace, mustang and Indian cloth are in the list of best items, and are useful for all your "The West" life.
Judging from your past post, you are probably a better expert than me.

Just trying to help out,
Pedro

DeletedUser

You're right there, you need the best equipment in the game. But don't worry. With Gentleman's set (and Charlatan's if you can do that job early) you won't have a problem of earning piles of money and buying anything you want to.

Also, there is no need to buy items from indian's set except moccasins - because you get those from quests. Ok, the jacket you can't get from quests if you're after key#2, but what hard jobs do you need it for anyway? Ambush and Robbing settlers. ;)

Expert... Um... Dunno. Although I know some are pretty useless, I have all full sets in my inventory (except the holiday set). Why? Because I like to think in front. Pants will be added to the game soon, only god and devs know if there will be pants for existing itemsets with more nifty bonuses. So it's better to be prepared, right? ;)

DeletedUser

Joxer the indian set is not usles like you say it gives you good advantage in some jobs like hunting grizzly bear which is high exp. job + it give you a lot of speed on map hole set (without mustang)+ quarter horse and after all you know that better than me dont know why i mention it :laugh: i just want to say it is not usles. :)

DeletedUser

Um... I use nuggets for speed. ;)
But ok, if you don't want to use that premium, and if my eyes don't lie, mexican set is a better option for speed bonus (HP). ;)