Things I like/dislike in this game

DeletedUser22575

Yeah, the game, like life, is unfair. Boohoo.

I guess that means there's no point in having a forum for feedback and debate, and discussions about what might be issues with it and how they could be corrected.

Oh wait...

p.s. do you read the entire wiki about an online game before deciding whether you'd like to join it? Personally, I just started playing this after a quick look, and decided after a while that I liked most of the things about the game. Back then, I didn't realise that there were quite so many people who were inconsiderate/undisciplined/discourteous etc. in the game, nor the fact that the dev.s were happy with people getting annoyed by the duelling aspect of the game and wishing the effects of it could be removed or at least ameliorated. And now that I do realise, I'm already 'into' and enjoying most of the game. I'm not going to quit now, but there's no harm in airing my thoughts about what I see to be issues with the game... or is there?... no, I'm sure all the mature players out there will take my thoughts at face-value and respond without getting snarky.

There is nothing wrong with having a forum to debate issues. The problem is what you see as needing corrected is dev designed to be the way it is. So while there are changes made to dueling as time goes on more than likely the only way to avoid being dueled is probable going to be townless.

The other problem is you come across as any one who duels you are inconsiderate/undisciplined/discourteous for playing the game the way it is designed.

As for that one guy..you tried diplomacy? What else did you try? Did you try reaching out to a dueler better than he was..one who could have handled that problem for you by telling him.."every time you hit him and he sends me a report I am going to put you down for 48" and then it being done?

DeletedUser25233

I hear what you're saying TJ, and I do kinda see what you're getting at. I guess maybe it's a little presumptuous for me to view everyone who ignores my town's rule of 'We don't duel workers, please don't duel ours' as inconsiderate etc., and yes, I have, and am pursuing a course of getting my high-level dueller friends to duel him back, although I think it's a little childish for me to have to resort to that (I'm basically sinking to his level, but I seemed to be out of other options).
I can see that a lot of people would consider duelling as a core feature of the game, and can even understand that they might view it as based on The Old West - back then and there, things were undisciplined at times, and I'm sure some people were duelled who didn't want to be. But then again, law and order weren't totally absent, and it was possible to bring villains to justice (unlike the game as it stands - simply KO-ing a villain doesn't seem like much punishment to me, the victim, when I've been duelled mercilessly for quite a while).
It's true, I could go townless, but as I mentioned in a previous post, it'd be shame to have to miss out on the sense of community you can get from being a member of a town (not to mention missing out on some of the other things, such as being a member of an alliance, participating in fort fights...).

It's possible that my idea of choosing a profession (or whatever) that means you can't duel or be duelled is a bad solution, but I wish there was a better one than simply going townless.

DeletedUser22575

I hear what you're saying TJ, and I do kinda see what you're getting at. I guess maybe it's a little presumptuous for me to view everyone who ignores my town's rule of 'We don't duel workers, please don't duel ours' as inconsiderate etc., and yes, I have, and am pursuing a course of getting my high-level dueller friends to duel him back, although I think it's a little childish for me to have to resort to that (I'm basically sinking to his level, but I seemed to be out of other options).
I can see that a lot of people would consider duelling as a core feature of the game, and can even understand that they might view it as based on The Old West - back then and there, things were undisciplined at times, and I'm sure some people were duelled who didn't want to be. But then again, law and order weren't totally absent, and it was possible to bring villains to justice (unlike the game as it stands - simply KO-ing a villain doesn't seem like much punishment to me, the victim, when I've been duelled mercilessly for quite a while).
It's true, I could go townless, but as I mentioned in a previous post, it'd be shame to have to miss out on the sense of community you can get from being a member of a town (not to mention missing out on some of the other things, such as being a member of an alliance, participating in fort fights...).

It's possible that my idea of choosing a profession (or whatever) that means you can't duel or be duelled is a bad solution, but I wish there was a better one than simply going townless.

Its not sinking to his level. Its administering justice in a form he will understand.

That often was the law of the west..have him ko'd every 48 until the problem is resolved and you feel justice has been achieved.

DeletedUser9470

I guess that means there's no point in having a forum for feedback and debate, and discussions about what might be issues with it and how they could be corrected.

Oh wait...

p.s. do you read the entire wiki about an online game before deciding whether you'd like to join it? Personally, I just started playing this after a quick look, and decided after a while that I liked most of the things about the game. Back then, I didn't realise that there were quite so many people who were inconsiderate/undisciplined/discourteous etc. in the game, nor the fact that the dev.s were happy with people getting annoyed by the duelling aspect of the game and wishing the effects of it could be removed or at least ameliorated. And now that I do realise, I'm already 'into' and enjoying most of the game. I'm not going to quit now, but there's no harm in airing my thoughts about what I see to be issues with the game... or is there?... no, I'm sure all the mature players out there will take my thoughts at face-value and respond without getting snarky.

man, you completely ignored my response to your initial post:

simple solution:
Go townless.

omg! they did make it so you could avoid duels if you wanted to!!!

this rant of yours doesn't stand. the devs have done an impressive job making this game for everyone to enjoy.
if you dont want to be dueled: Leave Town and go solo. as simple as.

DeletedUser

Man, you just described at least 50% posts on this forum with one line.
Is it a thing I like or dislike? Dunno. But I'll say only this to keep the years old tradition:

Boohoo

DeletedUser25233

man, you completely ignored my response to your initial post:

this rant of yours doesn't stand. the devs have done an impressive job making this game for everyone to enjoy.
if you dont want to be dueled: Leave Town and go solo. as simple as.

ha ha ha!

That's funny Neo! Actually, you ignored me! Didn't you read the bit where I acknowledged that going townless was a solution? And then in a later post I again admitted that going townless was a solution, but one I wasn't keen on?

I guess, in a way, it was a 'rant', but I still feel, personally, that it stands. You're welcome to your opinion that duelling is awesome and the dev's are awesome for leaving duelling just the way it is. But I reckon I'm allowed my opinion that it could be modified in a way that the only people unhappy with the modification would be worker-killers (and really, who cares about them? If they're made unhappy, I, for one, am not going to shed any tears).

DeletedUser9470

ha ha ha!

That's funny Neo! Actually, you ignored me! Didn't you read the bit where I acknowledged that going townless was a solution? And then in a later post I again admitted that going townless was a solution, but one I wasn't keen on?

I guess, in a way, it was a 'rant', but I still feel, personally, that it stands. You're welcome to your opinion that duelling is awesome and the dev's are awesome for leaving duelling just the way it is. But I reckon I'm allowed my opinion that it could be modified in a way that the only people unhappy with the modification would be worker-killers (and really, who cares about them? If they're made unhappy, I, for one, am not going to shed any tears).

lol sorry, twas weird, when i posted you had alread stuck up a few posts with TJ...

as for the dueling, well theres a solution for workers not to be dueled. whether you find that solution satisfactory or not isn't of anyones concern. the solution is there for you and has been tested over and over.

the whole point of being part of a town was to be dueled and also duel others.
thats the basis of the game, as is the basis of the west in general real life. live by the gun, die by the gun. you dont go west and expect everyone to be mother teresa, on the contrary, if you didnt weapon up and get some bonus before going, you knew very well you were easy meat, and you would probably get mugged and killed.

you sound just like one of these bankers moaning about the income tax, after having been payed a huge 6 figure bonus!
you cant get the advantages of a town without losing your immunity. should this change the game would become a worker game. it would have to change its name and description because living, playing and ruling in the west without a gun is the same as trying to go to the moon without a space shuttle.

as for the "no one would care about dueler builder killers...", i promise you, a lot of people would care. you think you are the first to bring this type of debate to the table?

if you cant cope with the dueling then best thing to do is to find an easy game where you dont have to compete with anyone...

gl man

DeletedUser25233

thanks for the luck Neo, you're right, someone who has a strong non-confrontational bent like myself is probably going to need it in this game. I think it's a bit rough to describe me as a banker getting paid a huge salary and then moaning about income tax though, because I don't agree that having, for example, a class that couldn't duel or be duelled would radically change the game. Yes, some people would be a bit upset about not being able to duel a percentage of the players of the game - but there'd still be a lot of people they could duel, so why get upset (and yeah, I'm aware that I'm not the first person to get upset about what some people, myself included, call 'rogue duellers')?

...and, lol, I do enjoy 'easy' games! Someone once told me, when I was in 'whining mode' I should forget The West and go play SimCity - and I did that, heh heh! Aaah, maybe I am a whiner wanting to have his cake and eat it too. The game'll probably never be exactly what I want it to be. But then again, Arizona, where I play, does seem to have a pretty steady attrition of players, and I'm sitting here thinking 'Maybe it's 'cos they, like me, are annoyed with being duelled all the time?'

By the way, I'm pretty sure the majority of settlers moving out into the old west would disagree with your comment that they were doing it, to paraphrase, to 'be part of a town where they could duel and be duelled'.

DeletedUser9470

thanks for the luck Neo, you're right, someone who has a strong non-confrontational bent like myself is probably going to need it in this game. I think it's a bit rough to describe me as a banker getting paid a huge salary and then moaning about income tax though, because I don't agree that having, for example, a class that couldn't duel or be duelled would radically change the game. Yes, some people would be a bit upset about not being able to duel a percentage of the players of the game - but there'd still be a lot of people they could duel, so why get upset (and yeah, I'm aware that I'm not the first person to get upset about what some people, myself included, call 'rogue duellers')?

...and, lol, I do enjoy 'easy' games! Someone once told me, when I was in 'whining mode' I should forget The West and go play SimCity - and I did that, heh heh! Aaah, maybe I am a whiner wanting to have his cake and eat it too. The game'll probably never be exactly what I want it to be. But then again, Arizona, where I play, does seem to have a pretty steady attrition of players, and I'm sitting here thinking 'Maybe it's 'cos they, like me, are annoyed with being duelled all the time?'

By the way, I'm pretty sure the majority of settlers moving out into the old west would disagree with your comment that they were doing it, to paraphrase, to 'be part of a town where they could duel and be duelled'.

lol, sorry, banker comment was a tad harsh
:D
I love Sim city too, I even went through a "the Sims" phase!!!

that said, well I'm a "builder killer" as you might have guessed. I now come play the west because of this. Dont get me wrong being the other characters is fun too. I have played an adventurer all rounder and enjoyed doing the quests and working and getting drops. I found very quickly i became bored so i ended up leading a small bunch of famous names.
I found myself with even more time on my hands and ended up opening a new account on w10.

and thats when dueling began

dueling changed the game completely for me

i was shown a completely different philosophy of the game...

I was able to help my town and friends a lot more.
dueling became something that we all did and enjoyed as a community.
until goldens came out it wasn't really an issu.
I mean If you're a builder, why would you care about any of your dueling stats?
The only problem any builder/worker has with dueling is being knocked out. it sticks you back in time, you lose out on a load of finished jobs, and also have to sleep losing a load of energy!
before goldens came out it was rare i kod a worker. and I was respectful, I never hit twice.
so there was no real loss for the worker, only a stat.
since near every duel is a ko.
i cant take my golden off or else i get kod myself.
and that isnt right. it hinders the game more than it helps. cf "goldens was it worth it?" post

being a pure dueler has a lot of advantages, but requires a much higher activity.
maybe try it out yourself?
remember you are only ever playing against other people, notagainst the game. in this sense it is up to you to outsmart your opponent.
:)

DeletedUser25233

You bring up a couple of points I hadn't considered. Thanks Neo.

mrnnh

By the way, on the SimCity thing, I'm a big fan, and have quite a few mods and so forth from the site SimTropolis, but haven't been back there for quite a while. My NAM is quite old. Have you tried the new one? Is it any good? (sorry for veering away from the main thrust of the thread here).

DeletedUser

Duelling was pretty fun on world 1, but since i founded my alliance and were fort fighting a lot more, i found i no longer duelled, so reskilled into a fort fighter.

And this game change is like a whole new concept its gone from duelling throughout the day to those special 30 mins of a battle. Thats why i like the west, the huge changes to your game play you make

Then world 12, pure construction. its fantastic just building up towns, sure you get duelled but so what its part of the fun, making sure those people dont hit you while your at work to organising you revenge via bounties or your town mates protection.

World briscoe allowed me to explore, pure construction but found it boring and restarted for a dueller, now got a win streak 0f 90 duels and still going, the fun of maintaining it is what the game offers and its brilliant.

Thats why i like and chose the west over all other

DeletedUser

Not crazy about the 1 hour max work time....now you spend most of your time sleeping because you burn through your energy in half the time, with the 2 hour max you could build energy while you work.