World Cup

DeletedUser

FOOTBALL. Not soccer. It's a british sport for the most part.
One thing that annoys me to no end, people calling football soccer:mad:

I have to say that when people call football soccer is an insult to the British game.

Association Football came about in London in 1863 and formalised the rules of the game. Football had been played in various forms for centuries before but this was the first formal version of soccer. Previous incarnations of football ranged from a wide-ranging, free-for-all melee to something more like rugby football (which wasn't invented by William Webb Ellis, incidentally).

The term "soccer" came into use shortly after 1863 (the earliest known example in writing is from 1889) as a way of distinguishing Association Football from other forms of the game. At the time "football" could have meant soccer, rugby or traditional forms of the game (such as "mob football"). The term "soccer" originated in England, probably as an abbreviation of "Association" - in the same way that "rugger" has been used as an abbrevation for Rugby Football.

In recent years there's been a trend amongst certain English fans to assume that the term "soccer" is an offensive American term and to object to it on principle. It is, however, an English term and there's nothing in the least bit pejorative about it. It really should be embraced as part of the history of the game rather than sneered at.

Meanwhile, trying to claim "football" as a unique term meaning Association Football and ignoring the variety of alternatives such as Gaelic Football, Rugby Football, American Football, Canadian Football or Australian Rules Football (some of which are far older forms of the game) is just a tad arrogant. It's "soccer" - learn to deal with it. :dry:

Anyhow, sorry about that, I seemed to have rambled a bit...

What I meant to say is that my money's on whoever wins a quarter-final match-up between Netherlands or Brazil. Seems to me that Hellstromm's look worth a punt.

DeletedUser8950

Association Football came about in London in 1863 and formalised the rules of the game. Football had been played in various forms for centuries before but this was the first formal version of soccer. Previous incarnations of football ranged from a wide-ranging, free-for-all melee to something more like rugby football (which wasn't invented by William Webb Ellis, incidentally).

The term "soccer" came into use shortly after 1863 (the earliest known example in writing is from 1889) as a way of distinguishing Association Football from other forms of the game. At the time "football" could have meant soccer, rugby or traditional forms of the game (such as "mob football"). The term "soccer" originated in England, probably as an abbreviation of "Association" - in the same way that "rugger" has been used as an abbrevation for Rugby Football.

In recent years there's been a trend amongst certain English fans to assume that the term "soccer" is an offensive American term and to object to it on principle. It is, however, an English term and there's nothing in the least bit pejorative about it. It really should be embraced as part of the history of the game rather than sneered at.

Meanwhile, trying to claim "football" as a unique term meaning Association Football and ignoring the variety of alternatives such as Gaelic Football, Rugby Football, American Football, Canadian Football or Australian Rules Football (some of which are far older forms of the game) is just a tad arrogant. It's "soccer" - learn to deal with it. :dry:

Anyhow, sorry about that, I seemed to have rambled a bit...

What I meant to say is that my money's on whoever wins a quarter-final match-up between Netherlands or Brazil. Seems to me that Hellstromm's look worth a punt.
Soccer...*gags*

DeletedUser

come on france henry last minute of the final punches into the net to win

DeletedUser

Group A
-South Africa
-Mexico
-Uruguay
-France
--------------------------
Group B
-Argentina -
- Nigeria
-Korea -
-Greece
Group C
-England
-USA
-Algeria
-Slovenia
Group D
-Germany
-Australia
-Serbia
-Ghana
Group E
-Netherlands
-Denmark
-Japan
-Cameroon
Group F
-Italy
-Paraguay
-New Zealand
-Slovakia
Group G
-Brazil
-Korea-North
-Cote d'Ivoire
-Portugal
Group H
-Spain
-Switzerland
-Honduras
- Chile.

Move on:
GroupA, France and South Africa
GroupB, Argentina and Greece..
GroupC, England and USA..
GroupD, Germany and Serbia..
GroupE, Netherlands and Denmark..
GroupF, Italy and Paraguay..
GroupG, Portugal and Brasil..
GroupH, Spain and switzerland..

winner will be Spain

edit and offtopic: this topic should be in debate and discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

come on france henry last minute of the final punches into the net to win
Thats the only reason why they won. It's also the officials who should've called a rematch but didn't. It was a hand ball and shouldn't of counted.
(Personally, I can't stand France, nor Brazil. I prefer England and Italy.)

DeletedUser1121

Bumping this thread.

World Cup starts today.
And i believe in Hellstroms guess on page 1 :)

Holland is going all the way.
Only one team is equally skilled technically and that is Spain.
I consider this the best playing teams of this moment.

DeletedUser8627

Woot!

Kick off today! South Africa vs. Mexico at 16:00 server time!

Was a wonderful concert setup on last night, had quite a lot of international singers (best of course was Shakira :p).

The street are full of people, I guess there are going to be mass crowds come about 13:00, a lot of people get off from work that time and start heading to the fan parks.

I think everyone here in South Africa now own their own vuvuzela!
foot28.gif
That's all you can hear bellowing from the streets :laugh:

Good luck to SA!

DeletedUser1121

Ooh, i really hate those vuvuzela's.
What's the whole idea behind those noisy things anyway?
It is not like your favorite team benefits from the use of it.
It only makes the game harder for the players since they can't hear eachother when they are two meters apart.

DeletedUser22685

I don't really follow soccer being from Australia, but the world cup is the one time we get behind it. Germany is going down!

Go the Socceroos! :laugh:

DeletedUser1121

i support every team which wants to take down the Germans.
Oh and the socceroos have Dutch influences aswell!!

DeletedUser8627

I think the vuvuzela is just to make a noise :p

It seems to be quite a South African thing now to have one. If you don't you not South African.

DeletedUser1121

Well, the last few weeks that damn thing has emerged on the dutch market and now every kid on my block owns a vuvuzela (including my own) And they use it for some kind of communication i guess. They start blowing their vuvu aproximatly at 6 pm and stop at 8:30 pm. Which is the time i try to get my children to go to bed.

I already had fantasies about shoving some vuvu down a throat of a random punk kid who keeps my kids awake (and me away from quality time with mrs Boukerse)

DeletedUser8627

Well soccer supporters use it as an instrument.

Rugby supporters use it as a beer funnel :laugh:

DeletedUser1121

Beer funnel FTW!!

But seriously, those things just make to much noise.
the Dutch squad had a public training so the fans could come and see the players for free.
They all decided to bring their vuvuzela and started making noise like you never heard before.
So after a while the coach asked them to stop, but they only started making more noise.
I can tell you now, that was the first and last public training they will give this championship.
So, they screwed up a nice event for all the other fans with their horns.

I am glad the FIFA has forbidden those really big vuvuzelas at the matches.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser22685

Speaking of vuvuzelas or whatever they are called, did anyone see the absolutely huge one? I'll try to find a video or pic.

Ah, here you go: No, click me!

DeletedUser8627

Hahaha yeah.

There is a number you can sms and when you do the thing goes off :p

DeletedUser

South Africa vs. Mexico and Uruguay vs. France today (and only those two, I think?). :D

Bet there's an amazing atmosphere out in SA right now. :)