World Cup

DeletedUser

i always love the old Brazil, but since Dunga came , the old Brazil is no more. :sad:

DeletedUser

Actually, there aren't many good teams about atm. I would say Spain are quality but Brazil, Italy, Holland, Argentina are shadows of their former selves. England are weak and will need a lot of luck to win. I predict that there will be an upset and a complete outsider will reach the semis. Johannesburg is 2km above sea level! The ball does funny things as do people's lungs at that altitude.

DeletedUser

Italy has never really been all that good in the World Cup. Their local games are great to watch because they import their players. Spain, in my opinion, has been running on a lot of good luck. I didn't find their performance all that good, with all the games I watched of the prelims, Spain was being dominated. I agree that Brazil is not that good this year, but I disagree with your views on Holland. They are very good this year and have a strong chance. England is as good as they've always been, which is to say they're good enough to get to the quarterfinals. Argentina's players are strong this year, but I truly think Maradona being the head coach will undermine their chances at winning. He was a great player, but that's where his talents end.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Italy has never really been all that good in the World Cup.

Top World Cup winners - Brazil 5, Italy 4.

Hmmm........

Their local games are great to watch because they import their players.

All the top leagues in Europe do, and Italy is actually a very weak league now as the teams can't compete with Spain and England.

England is as good as they've always been, which is to say they're good enough to get to the quarterfinals.

Just when I think you know absolutely nothing about football, you partially redeem yourself with this remark.

DeletedUser

Two of Italy's wins were in 34' and 38', which was not only a long time ago, but the reigning champs (and by far the best team at the time), Uruguay, boycotted both of those world cups. Argentina joined the boycott in the 38' world cup.

Italy won soundly 82', I cede that. However, I firmly question the veracity of their win in 2006, as there was quite a bit of corruption running in Italy's camp (which I feel bled into FIFA's activities) at the time, and the world cup prior they were eliminated by Korea. This cup, they have a free walk-in. But you're right, I'm not being all that courteous to Italy. I have never liked their performance and truly despise the corruption they bring to the sport, so I'm not willing to give them their due.

And I don't deny, I'm no scholar when it comes to sporting events. I love to watch the World Cup, and love to root for Argentina, but that doesn't make me any more of an expert than the next infrequent fan.

DeletedUser13020

MEXICO MEXICO MEXICO!! Go Ochoa. We will win, we are unstoppable (for reals this time we mean it). Gotta show love to my Mexican team.

DeletedUser

Two of Italy's wins were in 34' and 38', which was not only a long time ago, but the reigning champs (and by far the best team at the time), Uruguay, boycotted both of those world cups. Argentina joined the boycott in the 38' world cup.

Are you correcting your original statement about Italy not being any good at World Cups then? You made no mention of these mitigating factors before!

Italy won soundly 82', I cede that. However, I firmly question the veracity of their win in 2006, as there was quite a bit of corruption running in Italy's camp (which I feel bled into FIFA's activities) at the time, and the world cup prior they were eliminated by Korea.

Actually Rossi (The Italian hero from that '82 world cup) was banned shortly after that tournament in the betting/mafiosi scandal of the day.
However, what does a domestic corruption case have to do with Italy winning that or the last World Cup. I fail to see your logic.

DeletedUser

Umm, Bendos, how about reading my entire post, as I already stated my opinion on the matter. *rolls eyes*

DeletedUser

Umm, Bendos, how about reading my entire post, as I already stated my opinion on the matter. *rolls eyes*

Doesn't matter how many times I read it, it still makes no sense along with being factually inaccurate. Italy could have said to have won last time through a dive against Australia getting them a penalty, and the stupid sending-off of Zidane. Nobody considered it to be because of a domestic corruption scandal. Please explain.

DeletedUser

I'm not sure why you want to fixate on my opinion. You're only succeeding in hijacking your own thread and taking the fun out of it for others. Granted, I know you don't like me, but behaving in this fashion is not proving anything.

DeletedUser

New Zealand! No but seriously although I have a limited knowledge of football I would have to say spain. Maybe france?

DeletedUser

I'm not sure why you want to fixate on my opinion. You're only succeeding in hijacking your own thread and taking the fun out of it for others. Granted, I know you don't like me, but behaving in this fashion is not proving anything.

I don't dislike you, I don't really know you. A bit pathetic to play the "victim" card though! ;) You have made an incorrect statement and then not admitted your error. Get back on topic and stick to your predictions of the North Koreans sweeping all before them etc. :laugh:;):razz:

DeletedUser

I don't dislike you, I don't really know you. A bit pathetic to play the "victim" card though!
lol, you actually think i'm pulling the victim card? I'm just saying you're fixating on me, as you've done in many other threads. I assumed, based on that, either you were a stalker or a fan. In no way do I consider myself a victim, nor would I ever deem you capable of victimizing me, so don't flatter yourself.

You have made an incorrect statement and then not admitted your error. Get back on topic and stick to your predictions of the North Koreans sweeping all before them etc. :laugh:;):razz:
Right, now you're making crap up. Anyway, going back to your request as to my opinions on Italy and corruption. FIGC is one of the founding members of FIFA and is, for all intensive purposes, part of FIFA. Don't you find it the least bit suspicious that Italy (FIGC) won the World Cup in the year they were outed as grossly corrupt?

Doesn't matter how many times I read it, it still makes no sense along with being factually inaccurate. Italy could have said to have won last time through a dive against Australia getting them a penalty, and the stupid sending-off of Zidane. Nobody considered it to be because of a domestic corruption scandal. Please explain.
"stupid sending-off" of Zidane? Dude, Zidane head-butted someone on the opposing team, and he admitted doing it on purpose. You don't think that deserves a red card? Maybe you were watching a different world cup.

My comment very clearly stated, and I repeat, I "truly despise the corruption they (Italy) bring to the sport." Granted, they're not the only ones bringing corruption to the sport, but there can be no doubt that Italy brings in far more than any other country. In fact, it virtually mainstreams corruption. Anyway, FIFA has a history of corruption issues, not the least of which surrounding Sepp Blatter, who has worked quite hard to block investigations of corruption.

DeletedUser

I'm just saying you're fixating on me, as you've done in many other threads. I assumed, based on that, either you were a stalker or a fan. In no way do I consider myself a victim, nor would I ever deem you capable of victimizing me, so don't flatter yourself.

lol. "don't flatter yourself". That could be said about your paranoic accusation of me stalking you! Ridiculous really. You make a factually inaccurate staement and I pull you up on it as I would anybody else. Just a shame you keep digging that hole and have tried to wipe out 3 of Italy's 4 wins through convenient half-truths and conspiracy theories. :laugh:

Anyway, going back to your request as to my opinions on Italy and corruption.

I don't remember asking for your opinions on the matter but rather how a domestic corruption case won Italy the World Cup, but please go on.;)

FIGC is one of the founding members of FIFA and is, for all intensive purposes, part of FIFA. Don't you find it the least bit suspicious that Italy (FIGC) won the World Cup in the year they were outed as grossly corrupt?

No. Italy have always been a strong tournament side and they had some luck along the way.

"stupid sending-off" of Zidane? Dude, Zidane head-butted someone on the opposing team, and he admitted doing it on purpose. You don't think that deserves a red card? Maybe you were watching a different world cup.

No. I think getting yourself sent-off for violent conduct and leaving your side a man down as, well, stupid.

I really think you need to open a new thread about corruption in football. This thread is about the game on the pitch. :rolleyes::D

DeletedUser

I really think you need to open a new thread about corruption in football. This thread is about the game on the pitch. :rolleyes::D
Indeed, I made a similar recommend some 10 posts ago. Oh right, but you called it the "victim card."

*rolls eyes*

DeletedUser

I seriously think this topic is going to be closed.

I'll admit Italy has brought SOME corruption, not all of it, to FIFA, but the Zidane incident was dealt with properly. If you wanna headbutt someone like that, go play rugby.