Planned sdjx22: Auction House Proposal

Do you want this ingame?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I would like to see a possibility of filtering by skill modifier like filter all items that increase reflex (mobility included).

DeletedUser

have a point diggy. . .

• hmm. . .how many times can i bid ..or how many items can i bid at per day?
You can bid on any number of items, but keep in mind that until your bids aren't overbidden, they will not be returned to your hand. This way you can bid only as much as much money you have.

DeletedUser

Are we ready for final summary incorporating the common-sense refinements outlined here?

Diggo11

Yeah I think so. We could continue to think of features for this until Ulthor gives a compliment, but honestly we don't really need to overcomplicate things.

DeletedUser

Now diggo, I think this was actually based on a previous proposal that i made. Formerly you have had a little dig at me for only bigging up my own ideas. So if you like i can go all American and use inflated hyperbole. Should I also like Metallica too? Colonials can be so impertinent at times!

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggo11

Don't take it personally Ulthor, you just have a reputation of being critical. I think you may have misinterpreted my former comment, it was about you being critical rather than selfcentered.

Last edited:

DeletedUser5046

ulthor - sharpshooter (dun ask why):D

topic : how will tey know if a certain town have a certain auction item? will they use te west forum to advertise for their items?

Diggo11

I think its meant to be anonymous so people bid on certain peoples items and try boost their own bids.

DeletedUser1105

New summary:

The Problem
Many, many people are crying out for trade to be implemented, as a way of being able to buy items off other players and sell unwanted items to other players.

Other Ideas
There have been many ideas about trade on here, but none that sufficiently solve the abuse aspect. Hopefully, this one will.

The Proposal
That an 'Auction House' be implemented, allowing players to purchase items off other players.

The Set Up
The initial set up could be one of two ways:
1) It is just an inbuilt system that everyone has access to at all times or
2) It is a new building or an upgrade of the general store and must be built by a town to allow members to use the auction house.

It would be very difficult for this to work if you have to visit a specific town, so the idea is that this 'Auction House' would link to a central system that is accessible from anywhere. Anyone wishing to sell anything would drag and drop the item into the 'auction house' in their town. The item would then go into a central pool of items, visible to anyone. Anyone can then bid on any item.

Those wishing to buy would then be able to see those items and be able to place a maximum bid on them [just like ebay] The money would be taken from their account. If they were unsuccessful it would be returned.

The Auction Rules
  • No 'groups' of items, or multiple items. Each item must be an individual lot.
  • The auction would not show the name of either the seller nor the bidders.
  • Each person would just see what the current bid was, and be able to put their own bid in.
  • Each item would have to be in the auction for 24 hours minimum, and 72 hours maximum, with the seller being able to choose how long. At the end of this time (and there would be a timer for each item, to allow for last minute out-bidding) the item goes to the highest bidder.
  • Every auction would have a minimum starting price of it's sell price.
  • Items that are usually purchased from shops have a maximum bid of their foreign purchase price. Items that can not be purchased from shops have no maximum bid.
  • Items put up for auction would be un-retractable, but items with no bids after the time runs out would be returned to the seller's inventory.
  • The bidding system would work in the same way as ebay's, with maximum bids being used to bid on behalf of the bidders.
  • The item would automatically start at it's minimum sell price.
  • Items would have a 'minimum increment' rule. For example, up to $100 you can raise the bid by a minimum of $5, but after $20000 you can only raise the bid by $250.

The Auction House
  • You can drag items into the auction house. It asks you to confirm (in the same way it would if you were selling to the general store) and also to put your minimum sale price in. It would cost to place an item for auction. This could either be a set fee, or an incremental one based on an items value. This money is swallowed by the system and is non-returnable regardless of the item selling or not.
  • Each item would be in it's own category to try and ease congestion and make it easier to find what you want e.g. you click on 'Neckgear' or 'Melee Weapons'. You would then click on which type of item you are after, as shown in these excellent Diggo mock ups:
    auctionhousent4.jpg

auctionhouse2su6.jpg

• Each item would then be in order of type of item and then by price. Note the colouring to indicate whether it is above, below or equal to shop price. Items with under an hour to go have a bold font.
  • To see/do anything on the item, you would click on the item. You can hover over each item and see the details (as you can in the general store/gunsmith/tailor).
  • To bid, you click on the item you wish to buy. A box comes up (like the tick/cross one when you buy/sell in a store) asking you what your MAXIMUM bid is.

Other Points
  • When a player bids on an item, the money for that item is taken from their cash/bank account. If they do not have enough money, then no bid is placed. They get their money back as soon as they are outbid. If they win the item they of course get the item, but they also get any change leftover from thier maximum bid. This money would be taken as if it was already spent i.e. they cannot spend that money elsewhere. Nor is it robbable in a duel.
  • Players can bid on as many items as they like, as long as they have the money to cover those bids.
  • As an addition to the proposed sorting system, it would be nice if there was some sort of filtering sytem whereby you can search for all items that give a bonus to certain skills. Maybe also a drop down list of all the products within each group, so you can jump to just those items as well.

Potential Abuse
  • To help prevent abuse, items placed on auction would not appear on the auction screen until after a random amount of time between 30 minutes and 25 hours has passed. This is to prevent multi-account cheaters from easily identifying thier items on the auction.
  • Players would not be able to see thier own items. If it just stopped you bidding on your own items (as lots are anonymous) then it would be easy to identify which item is yours, and therefore helpful to a multi-accounter. With no viewing of this, and with the point above, we believe we can prevent most multi-account abuse.
  • The minimum and maximum sell prices listed above will also help prevent abuse of the system.
  • Another suggestion to help prevent abuse is to only allow players to trade with the same player once in any 24 hours, much like the 1 hour duel rule.
IMPORTANT NOTE
Items purchased in a shop will NOT be allowed to be sold. Only items found by doing jobs will be allowed to be sold at auction. This is to prevent everyone buying up the best items to auction off. This would need some kind of coding that when a player purchased an item, it becomes 'bonded' to the player, but items found would not.

ADDITIONAL STUFF
  • As an addition to the proposed sorting system, it would be nice if there was some sort of filtering sytem whereby you can search for all items that give a bonus to certain skills. Maybe also a drop down list of all the products within each group, so you can jump to just those items as well.
  • It would be nice if we could have some statistics to go with the auction house as well such as: Highest Amount Paid, Most Items Sold, Most Items Bought, Most Trades between the same two players (This would help to spot abuse), etc.
  • It may be helpful to restrict the number of items a player can have up for auction at any one time, as this would help to reduce the 'clutter' on the auction house.
Does everyone agree with my new refined summary?

DeletedUser363

The summary looks great but I just have two questions:

If they win the item they of course get the item, but they also get any change leftover from thier maximum bid.
What do you mean by this? If the player wins the auctions wouldn't all of their money go to the person selling the item?

Another suggestion to help prevent abuse is to only allow players to trade with the same player once in any 24 hours, much like the 1 hour duel rule.
How would you know with which player you are trading with, if the players names are anonymous?

DeletedUser1105

In answer to your first question, it is because the bidding works just like ebays. You bid the maximum you are willing to pay and the system bids for you.

Example: You are willing to pay $25 on a shirt so you bid that. The current bid stands a$5. The system would bid the next amount up from that for you i.e. $10. If someone then comes and bids $15, the system automatically outbids them for you with a bid of $20.

Therefore, you may bid $25 but actually get the item for $15. All it means is in that case you would get the shirt plus your $10 "change".

As for your second question, the system would HAVE to know who was bidding/selling. It just would not show this information publicly. It would be kept in the background. After the auction has finished, then it could update the stats and start to show names. You wouldn't know who you traded with, but a very keen-eyed multi-accounter may be able to spot thier own items (even with the random drop times and such), so this is just another measure to prevent that.

Diggo11

Oh my shiny mock ups :D BTW the button on the left takes you back to the General Store, assuming the Auction House is still a button it the General Store.

Somewhere in there it says "foreign sell price". You should correct it to foreign purchase price so if its translated to German there is no risk of confusion.

Also I think there should be a 24-48 hour limit. Two days is plenty of time for appropriate amount of bids to be placed and ensure every active player a chance to bid.

DeletedUser

Items purchasable in shops would have a maximum sell price of their foreign sell price. All other items would have no maximum price.
Try to rewrite this sentence it looks like you want to sell items from shops and it can be confusing for developers.

How about:
Found items that are usualy purchasable in shops would have a maximum sell price of their foreign sell price. All other items would have no maximum price.

Diggo11

Ok that sounds dodgey enough without translation.

Try:
Items that are usually purchased from shops have a maximum bid of their foreign PURCHASE price. Items that can not be purchased from shops have no maximum bid.

DeletedUser5046

auction is different from trading in a way tat te bidders and te item owners are anonymous...

in tis case only from a telegram will they know who owns te item...

so ..can te owner of an auctioned item be temporaily discourage to send a telegram to anyone?

DeletedUser1105

Changed the wording and added the bigger pictures, cheers guys.

Anything else before we ask Gem to assess it?

Status
Not open for further replies.