JR's Movie of the Week -- "Mad Max" Trilogy (1979-81-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

That is one of the best things about it. The story is the best, no doubt.

DeletedUser

I absolutely adore the movie. I don't know how to express my feelings about it, I guess my english is too limited for that so I am afraid I cannot go into detail about it.

I guess I did not care as much about the fancy outfit of V or the explosions and gunfights as I did about the setting and the feeling it gave me. I know it's probably a cliché by now but I thought I'd mention my favourite sentence. 'Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.'

edit: Now you know why I chose to have this name on the forums and this signature.

DeletedUser

Vendetti; I keep quoting that line myself.

As you did, I too did not love the guns, explosion, or violence the most.
I loved the setting, the story unfolding in it, and the feeling the movie gave me.

One could simplify this to "good vs evil", but that would be an oversimplification.

DeletedUser13682

I saw that movie a few years ago, and I was interested in the degradation of England, and how a country that is usually seen as tolerant could suddenly illegalize everything that goes against the views of the government. I also like how V, as a seemingly single person, could tap into the feelings of millions of Londoners, and cause a mass riot, and how even people in the government didn't like how England was turning out.

DeletedUser

I never read the graphic novel it was based on, but I liked the story. I did think it was lacking a little in execution though. But that was when the Wachowski brothers were deep in their decline.

DeletedUser

So what about Inglorious Basterds

I found it very funny, the gory bits were well made, and i also loved the cinema finale.

DeletedUser

I have to first preface my comments by mentioning that it's been some time since I've seen the movie.

That being said, I did enjoy the concept for the movie which was taken from the graphic novel. There are many ways you can play off the Orwellian future scenario. I especially enjoyed the fact they casted John Hurt in the movie since he starred in 1984. However I don't think that the actual execution of the movie was as good as it could have been. It tried too hard to be a political statement against the Bush and Blair post-9/11 administrations instead of making a stronger, more generalized, statement against autocratic and totalitarianism regimes. By trying to make it too relevant to what was then the current political atmosphere, they lost the thread of what I feel should have been a solid overarching theme.

As far the Wachowski brothers go, they had a rock solid movie in the original Matrix. It was visually excellent, was relatively well acted (who believes that Keanu Reeves can act?), and had a very good script. The next two Matrix movies became successively worse. Then the rest of the movies they've been involved with have continued their death spiral downwards culminating with this Speed Racer movie. I keep waiting for them to redeem themselves but they just keep getting worse.

DeletedUser

So what about Inglorious Basterds

I found it very funny, the gory bits were well made, and i also loved the cinema finale.

I did Inglourious Basterds, and pretty much everyone has read my thread as I have covered it pretty good, no sense in having it talked about in 2 threads, eh? (Ok, well, Inglourious Basterds in 2 threads would rock...)

I would say there are movies out there that are better than I.B. but, I would only be lying to myself...

DeletedUser

There shall be no talking of that movie when it is not up for review here.
In fact, another movie should only be mentioned if it is relevant to the discussion, if any, going on at the time.

DeletedUser

How does it kick ass? What'd you like?

I just watched it, and I must say there are many things to like.

First of all, I find the message it sends just amazing. The script writers are true masterminds!

Second, the acting was good (in my opinion).

Third, the story was incredible.

Fourth, the special effects were also great.

All in all, this is now one of my favorite movies. ;)

DeletedUser

I think the movie of the week should be a classic movie like Kelly's Hero's.

DeletedUser

Let's have something peculiar.

I like A Prairie Home Companion, but I don't recommend watching it on purpose. I watched it randomly on TV late at night, and it really added to the effect. The next morning, I thought I might have dreamed the whole movie.

DeletedUser

I haven't can't really recall Get Smart, nor any much of Kelly's Heroes, nor have I seen Oisin's suggestion.

Therefore I'll just skip quickly ahead and name the movie of the week as:

Pulp Fiction
by Quentin Tarantino

DeletedUser

Pulp Fiction is simply a classic. It has a lot of interesting philosophy, great dead-pan humor, great acting and a terrific plot. I've always been a sucker for movies that mess with either time or perspective and this movie messes with both.

By half way through, you're so engrossed in the story and the philosophy that you almost forget how violent it is, the bad language and sometimes truly horrifying subject matter (a horrible drug OD and the pawn-shop homosexual rapists, for example).

I remember going to that show and loving it so much that I made my mom go to it with me. About 10 minutes into my second viewing, I remember how harsh the subject matter is when John Travolta accidentally blows out someone's brains all across the back seat of a car. I look over and check on my mom, and luckily, she's laughing with the crowd. (WHEW...dodged the bullet on that one...)

At that point, it has truly become PULP Fiction...

Status
Not open for further replies.