JR's Movie of the Week -- "Mad Max" Trilogy (1979-81-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

(( Mod insert: Every week a New Movie is presented for discussion. Stay On-Topic and discuss the movie of the week (as presented by the host of this thread), not just any movie. Additionally, this thread is not subject to the 10 page rule, as the topic changes periodically. ))

Hallu everyone!

In this thread I would like to share with you movie experiences, good and bad.
Movies will be recommended, warned about, and discussed.

I am a passionate film-watcher, and a filmscience student, amongst other things, so ye be warned, I may pull forth some less than mainstream films.

First off, let's start with one of my favorouite movies;

The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky. (week of 8-25 to 8-31)

This is the movie of the week, and I am confident few of you have seen it.
It is a rare treat, and not to everyones liking, but those of us whom can appreciate it... oh man.

If you have not seen the movie, avoid reading spoilers beforehand,
it will only ruin the experience.

I will get back to discussing the movie later on, first off you guys should go
rent, buy, or whatever you need to do in order to experience this great movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The Fountain was beautifully filmed and made very good use of special effects (they were cleverly inserted, but not distracting from the story), generally good acting (although I think Hugh Jackman is rather limited), but I guess I wasn't completely blown away by the story, itself. Maybe I was having a bad night that night and couldn't fully appriciate it. But, I found the movie to be quite forgettable. And, something suggested to me that the director was trying too hard to make this a artsy-fartsy film. Still, it was worth a rent. I'm just not sure it would be worth a second viewing. If I had to grade it, B+.

I'm going to counter with one of my favorite films. JR, what did you think of The Painted Veil?

DeletedUser

I definitly recommend you watch the film again.
Personally, I bought a copy as soon as I saw one.

Haven't seen The Painted Veil, yet, but as you recommend it, I definitly will check it out.

Fun fact: The special effects in The Fountain are not CGI.

DeletedUser

Fun fact: The special effects in The Fountain are not CGI.

Really? Wild...but now that you say that, it makes sense. Sometimes the imprefection of using non-CGI effects actually creates a more interesting visual. Good to know.

DeletedUser

Haven't seen it, I will take a look at it. Good idea to make this thread. I am a huge fan of movies too :)

DeletedUser

So I'm sitting here now, waiting to go back up to my apartment in the city I study.
Looking forwrd to seing the movie again, and sharing it with friends.

I sit here listening to the soundtrack. It's brilliant.

One of the most excellent soundtracks I have encountered.

Let's move back to the movie, it seems that either few have had any interrest in discussing it, or fewer yet have seen it. The story is quite complex.
I've seen people writing about the movie, whom do such proffesionally, not get it.
Some friends of mine fail to get it even when it's explained to them.

DeletedUser

I like this thread, but I think that you're not going to get all that much response unless you start reviewing Batman flicks or something. IMO (and I could be completely wrong), The West community doesn't have all that sophisticated tastes in movies.

Tell me more about why you consider this movie to be so incredible.

DeletedUser

True, I might get a lot more attention if I was to talk about mainsteam films only,
but tbh most of them are hardly worth a debate, and with the average input being "it rawked. me lufs it. etc",
I don't really see the point of inviting to such a spamfest.

Anyhow, why do I love this movie?

I'll start with the sound-track. It's done very well, provides excellent atmosphere.
I really like the way the story is told, the three diffrent storylines, being in truth one.
Not to mention the theme of the film. I'm not sure how in-depth I can go here, without seeing it again.
I will watch it and give a proper commentary before we switch to next weeks film though.

Then there is the mise-én-scene, most excellent. The special effects, brilliant.
You say it tried too hard to be artsy, I say it nailed it. It's not over the top, but just right, with many a fine detail.

Anyhow, I will go further into detail once I've seen it again.
If you have specific questions you want to debate, the use of sound, light, mise-én-scene, etc, please do say so. I'll be happy to discuss. :)

Also, taking suggestions for next weeks film now.

DeletedUser

Suggestion

My suggestion for next week is the movie: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom or Ghostbusters

DeletedUser

Ah, now that is a movie worth a discussion!

Been 3 or 4 years since I saw it last time around.

I will definitly consider it!

DeletedUser13682

I would like to put in Pink Floyd, The Wall for consideration.

DeletedUser618

Risking the wrath of JR, my one word review......snoozefest. My son's review.......bizarre

DeletedUser

Not a very helpful review that.

No wrath invoked thus far, but do go on.

DeletedUser618

I was unwilling, by mood or time of day, to invest in the lives of these people. Hugh Jackman is not my fave, and I kept thinking that Viggo could of made a better showing and I could not separate Rachel Weitz from another of her movies. Son did not like the story transitions but that was about all I enjoyed.

DeletedUser

I was unwilling, by mood or time of day, to invest in the lives of these people. Hugh Jackman is not my fave, and I kept thinking that Viggo could of made a better showing and I could not separate Rachel Weitz from another of her movies. Son did not like the story transitions but that was about all I enjoyed.

You might want to see it another time when you are in a brighter frame of mind.
Had I been in a foul mood the day I saw it, that would have ruinied the experience completely.

DeletedUser

I eagerly await your next choice.

Glad to hear it.

I'm going to dig through my collection this weekend, and eitehr select something there, go to the ciname, or buy a new one. It all depends.

But as I said earlier, I am taking suggestions, and I will make a list.

Status
Not open for further replies.