JR's Movie of the Week -- "Mad Max" Trilogy (1979-81-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser618

What, safe for a day? I do not see how this makes the neighbors safe. Did they somehow get empowered? So this group of thugs will be gone. Who will protect them from the next group. They are sheep and sheep they will remain. Even Clint could not or would not protect his neighborhood from the decay. He chided one of the sheep to do it for him.

DeletedUser

What, safe for a day? I do not see how this makes the neighbors safe. Did they somehow get empowered? So this group of thugs will be gone. Who will protect them from the next group. They are sheep and sheep they will remain. Even Clint could not or would not protect his neighborhood from the decay. He chided one of the sheep to do it for him.

If this is your perception, then your previous statement about good triumphing over evil is false. His death in vain, the sheep no more safe than they were. Not a triumph, but a failure.

DeletedUser

It might make the neighbors safe by becoming a martyr. If you make that argument, then one of the main themes of the movie is redemption via being open to new experiences. You could even say that that moral was foreshadowed by the scene where he tries the Asian food and realizes that he likes it.

DeletedUser

It might make the neighbors safe by becoming a martyr. If you make that argument, then one of the main themes of the movie is redemption via being open to new experiences. You could even say that that moral was foreshadowed by the scene where he tries the Asian food and realizes that he likes it.

Aye, that is a good observation.

DeletedUser

If you were more pessimistic though, you can say it had a message about the youth of today being unable to stand against the evils of the world. That they can only rely on the strength of the "greatest generation" to make things right for them. In a sense then, there is the implication that the moral compromises of Walt are a result of having the strength to stand against the evil symbolized by the gang. While the kid who hasn't done anything terrible, and is morally pure, does what other people tell him with no independence.

DeletedUser

HoD, that is an interresting view.

Through his purety he is unable to fend for himself, and his own.
Whereas Walt is more than able.

Although, we do see Walt leaving those ways behind when he pays the ultimate price in order to put the gang away.

DeletedUser618

Although, we do see Walt leaving those ways behind when he pays the ultimate price in order to put the gang away.

Once again Walt has to do for others rather than empower or teach them to stand up for themselves. They do not have to as someone will take care of them or do it for them. I do not think Walt had taught all he had to the kid but he did give him a base on which to grow.

Walt faced a future of illness, pain, incapacity and loss of dignity. Rather than fight the inevitable death, he chose suicide.

I still believe good triumphs over evil as the brat grandchild does not get the car and even if just for a day, the neighborhood is safe.

DeletedUser

Once again Walt has to do for others rather than empower or teach them to stand up for themselves. They do not have to as someone will take care of them or do it for them. I do not think Walt had taught all he had to the kid but he did give him a base on which to grow.
He taught the kid a great deal, most importantly perhaps, he set an example,
was a role-model.

Walt faced a future of illness, pain, incapacity and loss of dignity. Rather than fight the inevitable death, he chose suicide.
He faced all those things, and he also knew he was expected to act,
and act he did. He went there alone, keeping the kid away from certain death in a violent shootout. This is an act of sacrifice, rather than the selfish and cowardly way of the suicide.

I still believe good triumphs over evil as the brat grandchild does not get the car and even if just for a day, the neighborhood is safe.

I hardly call that good triumphing over evil, however it is both just and right.

This new post of yours is highly contradictory to your previous post:

Your pessimism is deplorable.

DeletedUser

Perhaps we should move onto the next movie since we seem to be getting into unproductive arguments.

DeletedUser

Yup, I was thinking about that, but I have yet to decide on a movie of the week.

Taking suggestions for the next two hours.

DeletedUser

I would scream Inglourious Basterds, but I did that one in my own thread, it of course has a great deal of accusations of racism revolving around it, but oh well..

Hmm...

How about the movie Amistad?

DeletedUser

Haven't seen that one David, so I'll extend the suggestion period.

DeletedUser

There's also Dances With Wolfs, it teaches us to not pass judgement on first sight of someone.

DeletedUser

The movie Anchorman was pretty funny and had a lot of good actors in it

DeletedUser

Great movie in my opinion. V was an amazing character to learn about as the movie went on. Great choice John.

DeletedUser

I love it for several reasons myself, and I'd be very much interrested to hear what people thinks about it.

DeletedUser

Sorry, haven't seen this one. I'm putting it in my queue, though.

DeletedUser

For one, it's a good comic book. Another, Natalie Portman is a good actress for lead role alongside Hugo Weaving playing as V. Another is it's link to history aka Guy Fawkes. The relation between him and V and what he does shows and tells a little about Guy Fawkes and his plans to destroy Parliament. The list goes on and on but it is an EXCEPTIONAL movie.

DeletedUser

Personally I greatly appreciate the story, and how it unfolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.