JR's Movie of the Week -- "Mad Max" Trilogy (1979-81-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I could use a good movie to see..

John, have you seen these three people in a movie?

good_bad_ugly-219x300.jpg

I don't think this thread can handle so much epicness.

DeletedUser

Of course I have seen those three men in a movie! :D

And it is a good suggestion, but Senokai did it quite "recently".

I must admit I have not been watching many movies lately, which is odd.
Anyways, I did watch one yesterday.

Inception

Anyone else seen that one, and care to discuss it?

DeletedUser

Aghh, my this summer's favourite block-buster. But actually it is much more than your ordinary action movie. I would even dare to call it the successor of Matrix.

On the visual side it was a masterpiece. It had the right combination of explosions, buildings being demolished and so on. But unlike most action movies Inception had cast that really helped to improve picture. Its good to see that Leo is getting better with every role he plays.

And how can I not mention the ending, which gave me a whole lot to think about after leaving the cinema.

inception.jpg

DeletedUser

Inception = Matrix + 13th Floor + The Cell x Alfred Hitchcock

Still I think it eclipses all of those movies in the Layered format each share. It has a better ending than all three, and leaves you with a feeling that Avatar never lived up to. The quality of the acting never really jumps out at you but it doesnt seem it was meant to. In fact it blends perfectly with the plot and perhaps for a reason. Regardless, its one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Leo knows how to pick his roles. Although I still say Titanic sucked(dont hate).

Without going into too much detail so not to spoil, this movie is what the other three movies from the equation tried to be - should have been - or wish they were.

dueces

DeletedUser

suggestions:

Zombieland (fun movie to watch, but for one tear jerker moment - gotta love Bill Murray)

Snatch (could watch just about every day)

Master and Commander (very well rounded movie, makes you feel historically nostalgic)

enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Noone wanted to prestent it, ah well.

Has anyone even seen it?
If not, hurry up and watch it then post some comments!

Personally I prefer lock stock, but they are both gems in my book.

DeletedUser

I think its time for a new presentation then. But instead of one Im going to give a whole trilogy. It might turn out to be quite long, but bare with me. This week's entry is ...

Mad Max trilogy

220px-MadMazAus.jpg

Made in Australia back in 1979, Mad Max could have been just another action movie with less reason then excitement. But boy, did things turn out quite the opposite. Directed by George Miller and starring the then-relatively-unknown Mel Gibson in the title role, set in dystopian future and based in the western genre. It tells the story of Max Rockatansky, a highway cop in the lawless Australian countryside. The world is in the brink of a new are as the energy crises has escalated and western society is about to collapse. The film has magnificent car chases, brilliant costume design and intriguing look to the possible future. It has the least action in the trilogy, focusing more on character build and the setting. Max has to deal with a motorcycle gang terrorising the local highways. As the picture unfolds, Max looses both his best friend and his family and decides to leave the force and take matters into his own hands. Its also one of the highest crossing Australian movie ever made.

220px-Mad_max_two_the_road_warrior.jpg

The Road Warrior

Made in 1981 and again featuring Miller as the director and Gibson as Max. Set a few years after the events of the previous film, the film takes place in post-apocalyptic future, where the energy crises has finally caused the collapse of the country and society. Max has become a lone wanderer, who drives around the countryside and looks to salvage whatever he can. Finally he gets in the way of two gangs who are at war with each other. As Max is looking for fuel that one of the gangs possesses, he gets involved in the conflict and decides to help the more civilized group. The character of Max has become more hardened and darker, he trust no one except himself and his dog. Again the film makers demonstrate their innovative ideas on visual design and their ability to picture the post-apocalyptic future. The main car chase takes up most of the action in the movie and its probably the most epic car chase you'll ever see. The film was exceptionally well received by critics and holds a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

220px-Mad_max_beyond_thunderdome.jpg

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome was made in 1985 and also featured main ensemble from previous installments. It gives some additional background information and tells us that the energy crisis was followed by a nuclear war. Set 15 years after the previous film, Max makes his way to a newly built settlement called Bartertown. He decides to to a job for the leadership in order to get his equipment back, but soon finds himself betrayed. Later he teams up with group of children who have survived a plane crash in the middle of a desert. Eventually Max helps them to make their way to the ruins of the old world, where they start rebuilding their society. Although its the weakest part of the series in both the plot and action sequences, it helps to complete the trilogy and put some more light on the post-apocalyptic future.

The series share a great many similarities with Sergio Leone's Dollar trilogy. Max is most probably based on The Man With No Name played by Eastwood. Its also one of the best depictions of post-apocalyptic future seen on silver screen. The Road Warrior has developed into a cult film and is probably the only sequel that is one the same level with the original, the other one obviously being Godfather II. I really hope you appreciate this little summary of mine.

And those of you who are fans of the Fallout series, this trilogy is a must-see. I can say that roughly half of the Fallout franchise is based on this trilogy. If you've seen these movies and played the games, then you most certainly have noticed numerous references and homages.

DeletedUser

Eliel, I just finished watching the trilogy (again) and even began to model something in the Campfire section over it. The movies are by far is more than just a band of cult flick or instant classic; this series is a testimate to all the good that has ever been in the film industry. Mad Max is an overall great, inspiring, and total milestone that can not be topped in the film industry. So much has been taken from the series itself and made into great things, and many of the modern hollywood sucesses can be attributed to the insperation of some of the ahead-of-their-time scenes in the amazing trilogy.

And by the way? Who Run Barter Town?

MSTABLSTA!

(Lift Embargo :) )

DeletedUser

Eliel!

What have you done?!

OMG. I think I'm having a bro-crush on ya right now!

Although I must say I think Mad Max 2 does a better job of telling the story of Mad Max 1 in the intro scene, and Mad Max 3 whilst awesome still has some 'meh' to it.

DeletedUser

The Expendables

Saw it recentlly, and some may question why I'd bring it up in this thread.
Simple, look at the cast!

Currently on my phone, you may start siscussing now ;)

JR

DeletedUser

There is no denying an award for having an amazing collection of action hero PvPs, provided all in one movie, with just barely enough screen time to insert a few clearly shallow, yet iconic character lines, accompanied by way-too-close unshaven mugshots, to hammer in the nostalgic history this movie represents.

What can I say, it's macho.

DeletedUser

great thread JR and good picks too. (coming from a movie lover and addict)

DeletedUser

Thanks.

It's just that the interest from the community seems to have faded and then so did mine to keep this thread going as well.

I do hope people have found some inspiration here and went to see, rent, or buy some new movies :)

DeletedUser

Honestly, this is one of the best threads in the entire Forums, down to the fact no one flames each other and everyone voices their opinions without trying to insult someone else.
:up: John

DeletedUser17143

Can this thread begin again? I only just joined and I'm really annoyed to have missed it.

DeletedUser1121

Since JR is not active anymore, you can start a new thread like this.
I will lock this one, so things won't get mixed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.