JR's Movie of the Week -- "Mad Max" Trilogy (1979-81-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser8950

PHILADEPLHIA!
Tom Hanks is prolific in this film, and it was one of the first big films to deal with homosexuality, homophobia and AIDS.
Plus Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen wrote songs for it.

DeletedUser13682

Alright, sorry for the delay. But here it is.

And now, for our feature presentation

The Evil Dead Trilogy!
Starring Bruce Campbell as Ashley J. “Ash” Williams
179998-ash2_large.jpg

In the beginning, there was

The Evil Dead (1981)
Evil_dead_ver1.jpg

In The Evil Dead, we are introduced to Ash Williams, who is vacationing in the mountains of Tennessee, along with Scott (his friend), Linda (his girlfriend), Cheryl (his sister), and Shelly (his friend’s girlfriend), in a cheap cabin, isolated from everybody else, only accessible by an old bridge. Everything in the beginning is about suspense, from what? We don’t find that out until an old tape recorder is played, revealing the danger, the Nyturan Demonta, the Sumerian Book of the dead.

After playing a recording of one of the chants, the demons get released, and attack the campers. The hero of the first part of the film though, is not Ash, but Scotty, who would have been the ultimate hero, but for his abandonment of Ash. In the end, only Ash remains, left to face three Deadites, those of his friends that were possessed before they were killed permanently, which he does, only to get attacked in the end by the last surviving demon.

This is the first movie that Sam Raimi directed, and Bruce Campbell starred in that was released for general public, and launched their careers. Its special effects, great storyline, and superb acting make the Evil Dead one of the greatest horror films ever released.

Now it’s time for

Evil Dead II, Dead by Dawn (1987)
Evil_Dead_II_poster.jpg

After a brief recap of the events in the Evil Dead, we start off right where the first movie left off, Ash getting attacked. He temporarily gets turned into a Deadite, but the sun turns him back. Back at the cabin, the head of Ash’s girlfriend bites his hand, making it try to kill him, and causing him to cut it off, with a conveniently placed chainsaw. After getting laughed at by various items and throttled by his reflection, Ash gets some new friends.

This time its Annie (daughter of the professor who discovered the Nyturan Demonta, now called the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis), Ed (The professor’s research associate), Jake (a mechanic who led everybody to the cabin, despite the bridge being destroyed), and Bobby-Jo (Ed’s girlfriend). Upon their arrival, they lock Ash in the fruit cellar, thinking that he killed the professor and his wife. It turns out that the demons killed everybody, and the wife is still in the cellar. Thankfully, Ash is released before he gets turned into Deadite food. Through attacks by countless things, including the woods, Ash and Annie are the only ones left.

After defeating another possession, Ash decides to work with Annie to rid the demons forever from this planet. With the last remaining pages of the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis, a portal is created that sends the demons to another place. Unfortunately, Annie gets stabbed, and dies, right before she’s done, so only Ash is left. Doubly unfortunate, Ash gets sucked into the portal, and sent to the middle ages. There, he meets some knights, who want him dead, until a dragon comes, and Ash slays it with ease. The army kneels down before him, and worships him, and the movie ends with Ash hating his newfound status as Hero From the Sky.

Anther great movie, fitting perfectly in with the first. Ash gets to be the undisputed hero this time, and getting sent back to 1300 A.D. is a good twist. This movie might not have even been made if Crimewave, the Sam Raimi film before Evil Dead II had been a success. Evil Dead II is less of a horror film than the first, with a little comedy thrown in, including slapstick. This combination of horror and comedy make Evil Dead II a great movie, even without the special effects, the actors, and Bruce Campbell.

and last, but not least

Army of Darkness (1993)
Army_of_Darkness_poster.jpg

Army of Darkness starts off with Ash as a slave, after getting sent to 1300 A.D. at the end of Evil Dead II. This ignores the ending of the last film, where Ash is worshipped as the Hero from the Sky, but that’s alright. After getting thrown into a pit, and defeating the creature there, Ash is once again seen as a hero, who only wants to get back to his own time. Of course, the only way he can get back to his time is by using the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis, destroyed in the present world, but still alive in 1300.

After a few strange adventures, including a fight between many mini-Ashes, another encounter with Evil Ash from the last film, and more, Ash gets to the book, but, there are three books, not one. After nearly getting killed by the two wrong books, Ash grabs the proper book, saying the magic words needed, or close enough. But close enough isn’t good enough, and an evil army of Deadites comes to destroy the castle Ash is in. After a spectacular battle, where Ash proves that science is indeed better than magic, he gets sent back to his own time. What happens depends on the version of the film. In some versions, he defeats a Deadite that he accidentally raised from saying the wrong words, or he gets sent to a post-apocalyptic England, 100 years past his own time.

Army of Darkness isn’t so much of a horror film, as it is a horror parody, more comedy than horror. And for this film, it works great. I was laughing, I was even a little scared at parts, but the film was great. It’s a fitting film to cap off the trilogy, and the change of setting is good for those of us who got a little tired of the cabin. Bruce Campbell shines again, more as a hero parody than a true hero. His one-liners are legendary, and repeated constantly throughout the modern world. Who hasn't heard somebody say, "This is my boomstick!" or "Hail to the king"The acting is appropriate, funny, and a little cheesy, but that’s what this film is, a comedy more than serious horror. If you’re looking for a serious horror film, watch The Evil Dead. But, you’re missing out if you haven’t seen Army of Darkness. It’s a great film, even if you haven’t seen the first two films in the trilogy. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give all three films a resounding infinity. The films make up my favorite trilogy ever. Hopefully, the fourth film being made will live up to the first three, and be as good, or better than these films.

I now open the floor for discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The ground rule about zombie films is that they are supposed to be comic. Any motion picture that involves zombies and tries hard to be overly scary fails. As simple as that.

DeletedUser

I have honestly only seen the last bit of that trilogy, but I loved it. Bruce Campbell really scored points with me in that movie.

DeletedUser

I have honestly only seen the last bit of that trilogy, but I loved it. Bruce Campbell really scored points with me in that movie.

Personally I like the last one the best as well, but the first two are well worth watching, although not quite as funny imo.

DeletedUser8950

No shame to Philadelphia being ousted by this trilogy, it is quite, what's the term? Lol?

DeletedUser

Next up with a movie of the week is none other than Hellstromm.

Take it away Hellstromm!

DeletedUser

Mr & Mrs Smith (2005)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356910/

A truly superficial movie chocked with stereotypes in a domestic backdrop of a perfect married couple, each oblivious to the others "true" identity, both assassins of opposing interests. As you watch this movie there are few surprises, but plenty of mayhem, with wonderfully nonchalant acting by Brad Pitt as the husband, Angelina Jolie as the wife. And when it all hits the proverbial fan, there is no denying both of them present interesting characters, despite the superficiality of their given roles.

You could hardly argue the eye candy, not only of these two passionate figures embracing amongst shards of glass, but of the explosions, atypical car chases, and oddly disturbing, yet comically ironic extreme domestic abuses. But it was the moments in this film that captured my attention. Moments of infusing a typical suburban couple's agreements and disputes, with rock hard abs and deadly use of force. And let's not forget the department store scene of full-on violence and destruction interrupted by a few minutes of elevator music as they calmly waited, with weapons in hand, for the elevator to reach the next floor, emerging once again to automatic fire and explosions.

This was clearly not a cerebral movie, there was no great message, and nothing altogether inspiring, but what it presented was a uniquely comical contrast of simple suburbanites working double lives as deadly agents of espionage. What more could you ask for?

DeletedUser

Thanks for contributin Hellstromm.

Never thought you'd contribute with such a movie though.
Kinda expected something of a more profound nature ;)

Whilst your pick may not be one of my favorouites, it is however entertaining in several ways.

I enjoyed the piece of crap movie, and I'll recommen people to see it if they need some simple entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Didn't like Mr. and Mrs. Smith, watched it a couple of times; but never really sat through the whole thing..

Anywho, for a suggestion; someone should review Shutter Island. I liked the movie personally, although the end confused me.... a lot.

DeletedUser

I could ask for realistic action. I don't like this type of movie at all. Doesn't entertain me much to see how 1 girl kills 100 other skilled muscle man without getting a scratch. They fall from one kick in the chest and she can take thousands of hits without crashing to the ground. Because Angelina Jolie mostly does this type of movies, I don't watch anything coming out with her (including the new Salt which looks as stupid as Tomb Raider to me).
I can't say the same thing about Brad though. He's done some good movies, I can see why he did this one, oh well! He was darn good in Fight Club compared to Mr and Mrs Smith. I watched Fight Club several times now, but I felt asleep during Mr and Mrs Smith :razz:

DeletedUser

Talking about Angelina Jolie, then Changeling was the only decent picture starring her in recent times. It probably has something to do with Clint Eastwood being the director aswell.

DeletedUser

Changeling was boring and Salt is confusing! :blink:

She should adopt 100 more kids and become a full-time mother.:unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.