JR's Movie of the Week -- "Mad Max" Trilogy (1979-81-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I've not seen it, but I've seen with my own eyes just how exploited and abused Christianity can be.

This film might just show you a thing or two you haven't seen yet as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This film might just show you a ting or two you haven't seen yet as well.

Oh I'm sure it can. There's sometimes, though, where you just don't want to be reminded of negative personal experiences if you don't have to be.

DeletedUser

Oh I'm sure it can. There's sometimes, though, where you just don't want to be reminded of negative personal experiences if you don't have to be.

Well, if you have some bad first-hand experiences, I'm not one wanting to rip open an old wound.

The people need to see this film though, especially Americans.
It should serve as a warning.

DeletedUser10480

Stop picking on the little Christian kids! I'm an atheist standing up for the little Jesus munchkins! lol (no, have not seen the film)

DeletedUser

I suggest Splice (2010) for the next movie.

Oh, you want a reason?

•Phallus(-ish) monsters
•Human on Synthetic life (unf unf unf)
•More puns than in Punjab.
•Some gore.

More than that and I'd be spoiling it.

DeletedUser8950

Nah, if any film deserves film of the week, it's dirty harry, you punk.

DeletedUser

I sense avatar bias.

But he does deserve a spot.

Or the Dollars trilogy.

DeletedUser8950

I sense avatar bias.

But he does deserve a spot.

Or the Dollars[I/] trilogy.

Philadelphia is an amazing film, first ever big film to deal with AIDS, deals with homosexuality too. And Bruce Springsteen does the main theme.
Where can you go wrong?

DeletedUser

Still taking suggestions.
I have a few in mind, but a few more wouldn't hurt ;)

DeletedUser

suggestion
I Love You Phillip Morris
I admit that every part of your body may scream WTF?! while watching it... but it's a damn good comedy.

DeletedUser

Nah, if any film deserves film of the week, it's dirty harry, you punk.

I have decided, we will once again feature a film starring Eastwood, namely Dirty Harry.

Since this was your suggestion, I now leave the floor to you Dn5.

Present the movie buddy ;)

DeletedUser8950

Okay, I'll try then:unsure:

Without a doubt, anybody who knows a good crime thriller, or good thriller generally, will have watched and loved.

Dirty Harry (1971)

dirty-harry.jpg

This film is right up there with the dollars trilogy for Eastwood's most famous film series, and The good the bad and the ugly for most famous film, and with good reason.
Dirty Harry is centered around "Dirty" Harry Callahan, played by Clint Eastwood, the king of all badasses. An oldschool cop, Harry has no time for his incompetent superiors and the rules, and has no qualms killing people who give him reason to-he kills 43 people throughout the series.
This film is definetly the best of all the films, with the only other ones I'd rate above 3stars being Sudden Impact and Magnum Force.
I won't give a detailed plot synopsis, just a quick and very, very brief description-watch the film yourself if you want anymore, as that short quote cannot and does not do the film and it's plot justice.

As a sadistic killer goes from one victim to the next, taunting the police, Detective Harry Callahan is assigned to hunt him down and stop him.
Throughout the film, Callahan is more and more at odds with the Police over his methods as the killer again and again flaunts his attempts.
This film is very iconic, pretty much inventing the phrase "feeling lucky, punk?" It also made the .44 magnum incredibly famous, right up there with the lighsaber.
I'd reccomend this, and this is one of my favourite films of all time. Classic Eastwood at it's finest. 10/10
Warning: This film was an 18 here in the UK at the time of it's release. I personally would rate it more like a 15, but it does feature strong language and violence, and some mature themes, as well as brief nudity.

DeletedUser

Notable quote:

I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, "Did he fire five shots or did he fire six?" Well, in all of the excitement I've forgotten myself. So you'll have to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?

If Eastwood had a fraction of a penny for every time someone has said that, he'd have funded a dirty Harry museum.

Also, it made me count every shot in every movie I've seen since.

DeletedUser

In fact he wouldn't as that is one of the most commonly mis-quoted quotes around ;)

DeletedUser

It's time for some new films.

These films are long overdue.

Can you guess it?
Have you been expecting it?

If you don't love 'em, you're playing the wrong game!

DeletedUser

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. (1966)
alamogoodbadugly1.jpg

(Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo)
Directed by Sergio Leone, music by Ennio Morricone
Starring Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef.

Arguably a match for Dirty Harry as Eastwood's most famous movie, it and the trilogy it is a part of has set the
standard for "Spagheti Westerns"

"Such ingratitude after all the times I've saved your life."

The camera opens on a lonely desert.
Suddenly, a sunburnt and dusty face juts into the frame, without even a cut. It is here that he sets a standard in the movie. All that exists is what the viewers see. If something happens off the frame, nobody (not even the characters) know about it. This leads to some improbable circumstances, such as the Good and the Ugly walking down a street without getting shot, and the Bad appearing undetected in a cemetery, even though he should have been seen from a mile away. It is in this way (and others) that he makes fun of "normal," American westerns.

"The thing is, when I get paid, I see the job through..."

The story is that of "Blondie" (the Good,) "Angel Eyes," (the Bad,) and Tuco (the Ugly.) and their journey to recover four bags of gold from a man named Bill Carson. Their journey takes them civil war camps and battlefields, a Union POW camp, and eventually culminates at a graveyard in the most famous standoff in movie history.

"Never have I seen so many men wasted so badly."

One ofthe more memorable scenes is that of the battle over the bridge, about 4/5 of the way through the movie. In it, Blondie and Tuco have almost come to the end of their journey, only havin to cross a bridge to achieve their goal. However, Union and Confederate soldiers are fighting over it. Upon seeing the carnage, Blondie states the line above.

"You know what you are, Blondie? You're just another sun of a--!

Continuing would spoil the movie, as there is still (surprisingly) people who have not seen it. However, in short, the movie is one of Eastwood's best, and anybody who has not seen it cannot call themselves a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.