JR's Movie of the Week -- "Mad Max" Trilogy (1979-81-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Being too lazy to read this entire thread I'm not sure if this movie has been mentioned or not, but a film I really enjoy is Stanley Kubrik's A Clockwork Orange,saw it as a young lad and immediately me and me droogs took to the streets in search of the" ol" in out in out and a bit of the ultra violence,highly impressionable youngsters that we were.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Clockwork is good, no strike that, clockwork is excellent.

So it's a new week and thus we should have a new movie up and running.

Anyone want to talk about the best, worst, or whatever movie they have seen?

First one up gets to pick this weeks movie.

DeletedUser

I'll go ahead and call that one.

Here's a classic many of you probably haven't seen before, more than 20 years old but it still looks like new.

This'll be my first presentation, here goes...

The Pope of Greenwich Village

In my opinion this is probably the most underrated movie of all time, this is a movie you
have to see the second time through to enjoy because you have to understand it. The
first time I saw it, I couldn't understand what in the hell was going on, but lo and
behold, I decided to watch it once again, to see if anything made sense. Sure enough,
it grew on me after that doubletap. I quickly went from thinking it was deserving of
about 6 or 10 stars, to thinking of pissing on the graves of those who thought it was so
terrible.​

Mickey Rourke plays the excellent part of a small time crook, and the beautiful (then
anyways) Daryl Hannah plays his girlfriend, and the... Eric Roberts plays his neurotic
and incompetent 3rd cousin, so perfectly in fact that he managed to fool everyone at
my house into thinking he was playing a mentally challenged individual, and his voice
sticks with you even after the movie is over.​

"Charlie!!!!! They took my thumb!" -Eric Roberts, high on prescribed medicine

The movie is outright hilarious if you pay attention, miss a second and you will be lost.
The soundtrack matches the movie perfectly as well, and it has an amazing irish
orientation that both sounds wonderful and is quite catchy.
"Aw man, another two-hundred dollar a week hard-on lookin' to * on anyone was drivin' a Coupe deVille." -Eric Roberts

DeletedUser

Very few people have seen this movie, only bad movie critics it seems to me. It is one you would be better off watching twice than once, it is better the second time around.

DeletedUser

Clockwork was TERRIBLE, just, bleh, couldn't stand that one tbh, sorry guys :p

DeletedUser

Well, I just read the Wikipedia of The Pope of Greenwich Village, and I quite liked the look of it from reading the Wikipedia.Unfortunately, I couldn't find the full storyline, but I read the Italian part.Paulie, I have to admit is a cheap and treachorous man.The fact he blindly robbed a Mob Boss's safe, is a very un-intelligent thing to do, but the fact he saved his brothers life by poisoning Eddy, partly makes up for his bad ways.Charlie was quite unfortunate to lose his wife, and aswell lose his share of the money.

DeletedUser

Who wants a movie?
Time to present something you loved, loathed, or that impacted you in some way.

DeletedUser13682

And now for this week's movie:

A-Clockwork-Orange.jpg

Being the adventures of a young man whose principal interests are rape, ultraviolence, and Beethoven.

A Clockwork Orange, a film many considered too disgusting and shocking to be shown in theaters, prompting Stanley Kubrick to remove from the UK until after his death.

A Clockwork Orange is about what the tagline says, the adventures of Alex De Large/Burgess, and his droogs (friends) throughout future London and the surrounding area, causing trouble wherever they go. This is all good and fun for Alex, until he gets betrayed by his droogs, after a robbery goes wrong, and sent to jail. There, he is 'reconditioned' to only be capable of 'good', hence the name A Clockwork Orange, something that seems alive or organic on the outside, but inside is nothing but clockwork, a machine. After getting kicked out of his parents' place when he found out his room had been boarded out, encountering some of his droogs, now police officers, and some victims of his, Alex finally winds up in the hands of the government, where they cure him of his rehabilitation, and he now has the ability to choose for himself again.

A Clockwork Orange demonstrated reasons why it's bad if we take away the human ability to make moral decisions. It warns us of a possible future that, at least I hope we would, want to aviod. Generally, the movie is true to the book of the same name, the biggest difference being the exclusion of the 21st chapter of the book from the movie, which tells us what happens to Pete, and gives us hope that Alex might change. Besides a few other minor changes, the book and movie are pretty much the same. This is a good thing in my opinion. The message of the author still gets through fairly well. The movie is as good as the book, though I suggest you read the book as well, for that 21st chapter.

The scenery is amazing as well. You get the feel that the entire country of England has gone to waste, crime is commonplace, the police are brutal, the citizens uncaring. Nothing is really done to make it better, or is there nothing that really can be done at this point? That question isn't the main purpose of the film, but it is an important question. The major characters are great, the actors playing them fit the roles perfectly. Great choices all around I say.

The music deserves a paragraph of its own. Classical music was the perfect choice for this film, it brings out the scenery, the horror of this particular future, and what Alex and his victims went through. If any other form of music had been picked, the effect just wouldn't have been the same. The effect would have been less, if there at all.

Overall, I give the movie a 10/10.

DeletedUser

Surprisingly enough, this movie got no replies.

It is way beyond time for a new movie.
Anyone want to go next?

DeletedUser

A clockwork orange, great film if you havent seen it yet you got to, might not be everyones taste though if your into films, this is a must see :) 9/10
A little bit of history for you the U.S rated it X rated when it first came out and it was bann in Britian for more than 27 years, due to the sexual violence.
Though this was around the time when Britian went abit mad, police were told to raid video stores and remove any titles seemed to be extremely violent or contain sense of rape.
Alot of normal films got banned for no reason too , as alot of violent cheap bugget films were being released faster than they could name. They ended up just taking anything that had a grahpic picture on the cover or a horrible name. And grabing any film never the X rated films. Needless to say it was a cluster :censored:, they took films off shelves that were fine and left really nasty one on the shelves.
Mainly because the people that wanted this films removed had never seen them before and only heard what was in them. Needless to say we finally kick them out of power and got our nasty films :razz:

(Sorry for not adding any films, didnt want to be seen as plugging)

DeletedUser

A clockwork orange, great film if you havent seen it yet you got to, might not be everyones taste though if your into films, this is a must see :) 9/10
A little bit of history for you the U.S rated it X rated when it first came out and it was bann in Britian for more than 27 years, due to the sexual violence.
Though this was around the time when Britian went abit mad, police were told to raid video stores and remove any titles seemed to be extremely violent or contain sense of rape.
Alot of normal films got banned for no reason too , as alot of violent cheap bugget films were being released faster than they could name. They ended up just taking anything that had a grahpic picture on the cover or a horrible name. And grabing any film never the X rated films. Needless to say it was a cluster :censored:, they took films off shelves that were fine and left really nasty one on the shelves.
Mainly because the people that wanted this films removed had never seen them before and only heard what was in them. Needless to say we finally kick them out of power and got our nasty films :razz:

(Sorry for not adding any films, didnt want to be seen as plugging)

Hello all,

Interesting comments, however not totally correct.

This thread actually starts with Clockwork and it states clearly that the movie was withdrawn from public viewing because Kubrick wanted it removed. The movie was already getting critisism from religious groups and other organisations. The final straw was that (I'm not totally sure about the details) a young man murdered another person and claimed that it was the movie that gave him the idea to do it. It's never been proven that this statement was true or even acurate but along with the pressure from protest groups and the publicity that the murder had caursed, Kubric felt he had no other choice. He was in fact totally horrified by the idea that someone could kill because of a movie that he made. This altered his view of the movie and so resulted in the ban that lasted for his life time.

In the 1980's there was a crackdown on movies that were released onto video which was at that time a new technology. In the UK there was 2 certification boards. One for movies that came out to the cinema and other board that certified videos. The cinema board was heavily influenced by a women named Mary Whitehouse who was a staurnch christian and believed that movies and television could influence and corrupt the young.

(Not sure when exactly but) in the early 80's two boys, around 12 years old kidnapped a 4 year old from a shopping centre. They then put the boy over a train track and allowed him to be killed. As you can imagine the county was shocked very badly. How could young children do such a thing? This brought about politacal action from the pressure aplied by the media, press, religious organisations and Mrs Whitehouse. Horror movies and excessively violent moveis were still shown at the cineme but had problems being passed for video. the videos were labelled "video nasties". It was believed that these videos were too easy for the young to get thier hands on and so they started to ban them.

They were recut and edited for video but it did tend to ruin the movie as the editing was very heavy handed. The Chucky movies were hit the most.

As for the movie.

I only saw this movie after Kubrick died.

I found quit soft really. However, I did understand just how this could have effected an audience from the early 70's.

Prior to this movie violence in movies was always justified by the actions of the character. The bad guy wants to steel something or get revenge or obtain power. This would justify the violent act. The good guy is mostly saving the innocent from the bad guys and so is allowed to be violent up to a point. This movie did away with that and simply had violence in it for the sake of it or even for the pleasure of it. Kubrick not only said to the audience "violence is fun" he showed it in slow motion with classical music playing in the background which gave it an almost ballet feel. Somehow artistic and if it's artistic it must be acceptable. This was the conflicked for the viewer. An unacceptable act shown in an acceptable way. This made the viewers very uncomfortable.

I also believe that the movie is trying to show the divide between the generation in the UK at this time. The UK was still being run by people who were in authority before the 2nd world war. They were very different from the new, young people of the ealy 60's now teenagers. The young were developing the idea that they didn't need rules or order or tradition to keep a society together like the older generation did. The young belived that doing what you wanted and having fun was best. "Wait until you're old before you take on responsabilties". This was a big split in the UK at this time and I believe Kubrick was trying to reflect that. He knew that the movie would court protests. I believe that was his original intension.

As a modern movie it held little interest for me other than the fact it was banned by Kubrick. Yes it was different in style but it didn't shock me or surprise me at all.

Thanks

DeletedUser

Other movies that could be looked at.

Donny Darko
The Deer Hunter
This is Spinal Tap
Eraserhead
The Draughtmans Contract
The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover
Leon
The Big Blue