Crafting Items

DeletedUser

Do you all want me to make a rational summary about crafting??? It will probably have to be 4 pages long... There's alot of info that needs to be crammed into there.

But then again it's zgreedus' idea, so I won't take credit... Let's see how long it takes him to respond...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I kinda like the idea, too. Would definitely give more purpose to some of the items.

DeletedUser

Do you all want me to make a rational summary about crafting??? It will probably have to be 4 pages long... There's alot of info that needs to be crammed into there.

But then again it's zgreedus' idea, so I won't take credit... Let's see how long it takes him to respond...
I'd like a summary. It might not have to be that long if you leave the specific formulas up to the devs. A couple examples would suffice to illustrate the concept.

DeletedUser

And I'm gonna guess also that there is no creation of new items, only the ones available currently so we don't find new, wierd sets.

DeletedUser

Main purpose
Enabling players to combine the products into a usable items

How does it work now?
no system implemented right now, doesn`t work at all

How it can be solved?
This can be solved by adding a structure (workshop) where players may buy recipes.
Recipes tells what products shall be used to create (craft) a particular item.
(there is an attachment in this thread of crafting menu from another game)
Use of a recipe adds an item to the list, under a new button "workshop" (I think it should be added below "quests" and above "town")

A player opens that "workshop" button, sees all of learned recipes, chooses an item to be created, checks the necessary products and prresses "create" button

ITEMS

Created items are divided into: clothing, boots, headgear, weaponry, and usable items (like healing powders, coffee or bread).

Clothing, boots, headgear adds a random bonuses to skills, or stats (just like now),

50% for 1 skill bonus 10 points max
25% for 2 skill bonus 10 points max in each skill
15% for 3 skill bonus 10 points max in each skill
10% for 4 skill bonus 10 points max in each skill

Usables, vanishes when used and adds points to:
HitPoints (red bar), Stamina (blue bar), or both of those. To avoid abusuing those shall be used once per 24 hours. (of course you cannot use the same item, because it vanishes used once, just like coffee to drink it again you will have to make one)

Problems

Gathering products: some players may find it difficult to gather all of necessary products to craft an item, and a soltuion would be auctioning of those; (all "trade" posts in this thread) the auction is open and a playes sees olny the last bid and timer of the auction.

How to implement this:

System:

• Adding a new shop for the recipes
  • recipe for particular item has a list of : products necessary for crafting, percentage chance of bonuses

Player wanting to craft item

• buys a recipe (for example for a hat)
  • it is added to a list of recipes (crafting button, on the left side)
  • chooses a recipe (item) he wants to craft
  • makes sure he has all of the products necessary
  • pushes "create" button

System:

• randomizes how many skills will be bonused (1-4 skills,3 skills for example)
  • randomizes what skills will be bonused (all skills included, dodging, shooting,hitpoints for example)
  • randomizes how many points will be added (from 1 point to 10 points) for a particular skill

If I forgot about anything please feel free to add it into summary

DeletedUser

What about attribute boni?

Do the recipes stay or vanish after use?

DeletedUser

I do not believe that crafting items that are for wearable slots should be allowed. Trying to balance a game where players can craft items with freely available raw materials is a very difficult endeavor. If you don't make the crafted items better than the store brought ones people will not waste the time doing crafting them, but if you make them have better stats then players that don't want to craft or take the time to craft complain that other players are getting these items for essentially for free.

You also have a full time job fixing the sell back prices on crafted items. The sell back can not be less that the sell back for the individual raw materials or again no one would waste the time to craft. But if you make the sell back to high then non-crafters complain that crafters are making a killing money wise.

In all it's very difficult to balance crafter items vs items available in the game. Not to mention the time it would take to implement such a system.

DeletedUser

I do not believe that crafting items that are for wearable slots should be allowed. Trying to balance a game where players can craft items with freely available raw materials is a very difficult endeavor. If you don't make the crafted items better than the store brought ones people will not waste the time doing crafting them, but if you make them have better stats then players that don't want to craft or take the time to craft complain that other players are getting these items for essentially for free.

You also have a full time job fixing the sell back prices on crafted items. The sell back can not be less that the sell back for the individual raw materials or again no one would waste the time to craft. But if you make the sell back to high then non-crafters complain that crafters are making a killing money wise.

In all it's very difficult to balance crafter items vs items available in the game. Not to mention the time it would take to implement such a system.
Some good points there.

If we toss the craftable wardrobe items, we can still add some craftable products which won't really compete with anything, seems to me.

DeletedUser

That's pretty much what I said early on. Crafting should only be about the whole selling for more than the sum of the parts, with possibly a small chance of a wearable item being created, in which case it would be identical to a random item that's already in game.

DeletedUser

What about attribute boni?

Do the recipes stay or vanish after use?

Learnt recipes are added to list of items able to be crafted, do those vanish

attribute bonus. Well I think it can be added, but to selected recipes only.

DeletedUser

Great idea !Why?Because why do you need a 'Ham' item?Normally you would just sell it to the Gunsmith or something.But having a 'backon and eggs for breakfest' in the game this would be great ;)

DeletedUser

glass of water+cofee+sugar = hot coffee with sugar : +10 stamina, consumable (vanishes when used) and able to use once per day

Fairly useless.

grain + glass of water = bread:+50 hp, consumable (vanishes when used) and able to use once per day

Not imbalancing, but not incredibly useful.
beans x2+T-Bone-Steak+Corn x3 = meal: +15 stamina +50 hp,
consumable (vanishes when used) and able to use once per day

Not hugely imbalancing, but not incredibly useful and unrealistic. A steak dinner would slow you down more than give you stamina.

Fool`s gold+gemstones x3+coal = necklace with random bonuses:

50% for 1 skill bonus 10 points max
25% for 2 skill bonus 10 points max in each skill

Brown shawl:
+10 Vigor
+9 Hiding
+13 Fine Motor Skills
+13 Appearance

Buy for $4360 or make it with a few fairly low difficulty items which have nothing to do with making an actual "shawl". +13 is higher than you can get, but you could get an even better selection of skills.

Beaver skin x4 = a hat with random bonuses:

40% for 1 skill bonus 10 points max
35% for 2 skill bonus 10 points max in each skill

Brown Top Hat:
+8 Health points
+9 Horseback riding
+9 Fine Motor Skills
+10 Leadership

$2700 or 4 beaver skins, which can be obtained from a 53 difficulty job (demolishing the dam). You could wind up with much better skills which would be worth much more than $2700, and 4x +10 at that.

I know a lot of people have put effort into this idea, but it's never going to be implemented. Items range from completely useless to completely overpowered. You could wind up with someone walking around with 4 clothing items that give +40 aim, +40 shoot, +40 appearance, and +40 dodge.

Or you could have someone with 4 items with +10 stamina, hiding, tactics, and trading, giving them +160 labor points on burglary. A pure hider could do burglary at level 45. Add coffee/bread/steak dinner for another +75 and that pure hider can do burglary at level 35!!

The only way this is going to be implemented is in the way I suggested: the value of the crafted item is worth more than the sum of the parts. You make hats that add no bonuses, but sell for more than the products. Maybe add a small chance of crafting a useful item that's already in game.

DeletedUser

I wrote 10 bonus points max, but devs may change this into 15 or 20...
What is easier to obtain $2700 or 4 beaver skins?

DeletedUser

I wrote 10 bonus points max, but devs may change this into 15 or 20...
What is easier to obtain $2700 or 4 beaver skins?

Beaver skins are not hard to obtain. Demolishing is a very easy job, but only 5%. Beaver hunt is harder, but 17%, and there are a lot of trappers out there, and a pure trapper can do it at level 10 naked: (9 + 30) * 3 = 117.

You might as well say that items found by luck have random bonuses. There is no chance of this ever being implemented as is.

DeletedUser

The recipes would create the general type of item as you already have it, but to use one of your examples, 4 beaver skins would create a hat. 4 beaver skins sell for $72. The value of a normal hat with no bonuses would be something like $144 - $720, or something to that effect. You might even go below $72 for the minimum in the event that you didn't make a very good hat. Say there's a 10% chance of crafting a regular hat, with all the normal stats, with the quality based on how many labor points you have.

Edit:
make the bonuses less.

I honestly don't think there's a chance of them implementing items that look like regular in game items but with different bonuses. Possibly...possibly...they would go for something like the generic hat I mentioned above that gave a small amount of bonuses, maybe up to +4 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Food creating stamina and health is kinda cool, just not the clothes crafting.