Crafting Items

Red Falcon

I have to agree with what Gem said, simply because there IS a skill on RuneScape called Crafting. Will this idea make the final cut? I wonder...

DeletedUser

Quake has guns, so if you want to shoot people, go play Quake.

Sim City has town building, so if you want to build towns, go play Sim City.

Diablo has item drops, so if you want to find items from your adventuring, go play Diablo.

Your real life town has shops, so if you want to go shopping, get up and go outside, fatty!!!

etc.

DeletedUser

Bonuses

make the bonuses less.

I can see this modification:

When you craft item:
85%chaned of crafting no bonus item,
with selling price=2x (price of products necessary for crafting)

7% for 1 skill bonus 10 points max
5% for 2 skill bonus 10 points max in each skill
2% for 3 skill bonus 10 points max in each skill
1% for 4 skill bonus 10 points max in each skill

(chances are randomized, skills are randomized, bonus points are randomized)

This will make crafting possible, but to make an useful item you will have to try many times and gather many products, am I right BartBot?

DeletedUser

Now look at the development discussion summaries and copy the format: that's a real summary.

DeletedUser

At first I would like to learn if someone has anything more to say about this in general, maybe there will be some changes in the idea before voting.

DeletedUser

I don't think there should be new bonuses for a crafted item, rather the same set of bonuses as the standard equipment (that wasn't crafted).

DeletedUser

I have a feeling this will fail in the voting, however I will likely vote for it. If you do create a proposal, I'd suggest designating multiple options. Lots of possibilities have been floated in this thread, IIRC (not gonna go back and reread it now).

DeletedUser

Luap beat me to it. There is 33 pages of discussion, you will likely find everything you need for your summary.

Case Closed.

DeletedUser

in the first post I have added a summary with all suggestions concerning this thread

DeletedUser

I love the idea of crafting items... in games i have played in the past you were able to craft items for your own personal use and for selling to others ... of course here we would only be doing for ourselves since there is no trade as of yet but it would be really cool to make some items for myself.

DeletedUser

Are w3e ready for voting guys?

No wonder this thread is 34 pages long! Zgreedus has asked : "Are we ready for voting guys?" about 30 times.

(ok ok I sometimes exaggerate)

Firstly I must say, I wanted to see craftable items. This will add depth to the gameplay.

But how we justify all that extra programming and time and effort that some of you are worried about?

Well, I have played a lot of different free online games, and get quickly bored. Generally there is a "formula".
Kill things, level, spend exp points on skills, repeat.
Some games have areas that you need a certain level to be able to enter.
These will have harder things to kill, but of course you get more experience.
The things to do in each area is the same, there are occasionally "quests" but these collect stuff left behind by monsters, get enough and you can complete the quest.

My point? After a while players get bored and move on.

I spent over 2 years (paying subscription) to UO.

Reason? Depth.

Surely a simple justification for the extra work and effort for the Devs, is player retention. And possibly player conversion from playing for free to paying (!) :eek:hmy:

(Of course I know a lot of games get their revenue from simply signing up as many players as possible, (and using player numbers as leverage), Often there is practically no information about the game on their homepage, apart from lots of enticing pretty pictures which will get people to sign up. These games tend to be quite limited (it doesnt need to have too much depth as they are simply "collecting" players - players can leave but it doesnt matter - they are still 1 of 14 million 'registered players' -- which looks great to advertisers!))

Now, I like the way Sigmastorm2 has craftable items.
You buy the blueprint from the shop. (each level had different fixed shop items)
You collect the parts needed for the item from killed enemies and also sometimes you need to buy a part from the shop)

Then you took the parts to a building to construct it, and pay an associated cost.

If you are lucky the item gets made. (percentage chance of success)

The items are different to things you can buy from shops, but not overpoweringly so. This game had a "class" system (mutant, cyborg etc) The only way to gain "class" items and armour is by making it.

So in theory we can have certain items that can maybe only be used by a certain class (we have the product slot in our character screens -- perhaps that could be for a item?..)

Or perhaps any class can use them.

Compass (increases speed by 25%)
Lucky charm (+5% chance of finding stuff)
Iron Hammer (bonus for builders plus also bonus for jobs involving building (repair fences, installing barbed wire fences etc)
Other items could give bonuses in some small but useful way : eg an item could give you 10% off items bought from stores, A quality shovel that makes digging easier (so monetary bonus or % increase in finding an item while digging)

Simple things, which wont unbalance things too much but give a small advantage, and also give something for crafters to do, and use up the items you can find when working.

Of course, if players make a lot of items, and become experienced they can gain "master" status and have a chance of creating that is of "exceptional" quality which has a small extra bonus... hmm yes, just like UO!

yours humbly.

Wilcx
Detective.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I spent over 2 years (paying subscription) to UO.

Reason? Depth.

Yeah me too... I remember the times when it was necessary to craft items. I think this game lacks it, people are getting bored (how many times you can hit the same players that are not not hitting back, because they do not care about duels anymore?), and doing simple jobs is getting schematic and boring too..... So this idea will make the game more...... well..... deep?