Bible Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Can someone explain to me what the bible is trying to say in the story about Jesus walking over water? I know most of the stories in the bible have some kind of moral, i just don't get this one.

I think the lesson to be learned there is that the bible is fiction.

DeletedUser1121

yeah we know how you think about the bible and religion John. I don't believe either.
But you can't deny the fact that most of the stories in the bible (and maybe the koran to) are based on morals. They try to explain something about how you should act.
But i just can't figure out what this story means.

DeletedUser14029

When if you read on later a bit - one of the disciple was afraid to step onto the water.
It was about faith *wink*

If it follows that Jesus is the Son of God - it is also reasonable to say that Jesus can 'switch off' the usual 'Physics Engine' for a bit :)

DeletedUser

God does exists. You people are talking about a being who has the power of creation. The power to create universes, shape worlds and give life to dirt. You state points of views but dont consider anything from gods point of view. Okay one guy said "the world was not created in 7 days and in fact it took many millions of years" yes thats true from our point of view but even einstein said time wasnt always relative and that in fact time might actually slow down the closer any object or thing came to the speed of light. That being said do you think God the creater of worlds and the universe might be able to move faster than the speed of light or maybe even controls the passage of time itself?

DeletedUser

Have you ever thought about or considered the reasons behind God's motivation for creation? I mean why even bother with all of this if your a all powerful being capable of anything? Boredom? Maybe god was feeling a little lonely? All that craps cool but if you dig even deeper things get more interesting.

One example is...

God created Adam by molding him with earth into a likeness of himself. He than breathed life into Adam and he later created Eve from one of Adams ribs... (sounds a little like gene cloning) ANYWAYS the important thing at least the important thing I pay attention to here is the "breathing of energy or life into adam". Okay he breathed energy into the both of them. So now they both have souls or gods energy in them. So when adam and eve reproduce later on.. more of gods energy is needed right? Okay there is said to be a "hall of souls" that once emptied will actually be one of the precursors to the apocalypse. Anyways I'm wondering if this "hall of souls" is in fact god himself. Because a soul is gods power and since weve mastered the atom but still cant bring anything dead back to life I'd have to say the power of life or god has to be incredible indeed. Anyways so when we reproduce are we in fact creating gods energy by creating another soul OR is the energy being given to the baby from god. Because if you think about it from a power perspective than the battle of heaven versus hell starts to make sense. He who controls the must souls has the most power. The only question that needs to be answered is does gods power get reproduced in the creation of a new soul (new baby) or does god give the power or the soul to the baby himself. If the first half of that question is true than satan must believe he can eventually gain control over enough souls and power to overthrow god. The hall of souls maybe a marker god is using to ensure satan never obtains enough power to defeat him.

Anyways whatevers clever... IMO God and satan do exist and we are very close to the end.

DeletedUser9470

LMAO!
sorry to say but ive never told anyone untill now:
Im God.
Ive got prophets to come down many times now but no one recognises them any more so im taking them all back as humans dont deserve to know.

as for the whole creation thing:
yer we had a science contest in school with the other gods (there are many of us) we had to create something beautifull.
sorry i completely messed up, so i sent a guy with nuclear knowledge to sort that.

in the meantime have a good time, make sre you all get on the right boat!

DeletedUser

But you can't deny the fact that most of the stories in the bible (and maybe the koran to) are based on morals.
Uh, yes I can.
Now do elaborate.

They try to explain something about how you should act.
But i just can't figure out what this story means.
Wrong again. They don't explain how you should act, they tell you how to act and coerce you to act and think the way the dogma teaches.
You could of course chose to not act the way they threaten you to, but then you'd burn in hell. Forever and ever.

How is that for telling us something about morals?

God does exists.
Prove it.

You people are talking about a being who has the power of creation.
You must have the wrong discussion then.
Most of us were talking about a collective delusion inherited from men in togas.

Have you ever thought about or considered the reasons behind God's motivation for creation? I mean why even bother with all of this if your a all powerful being capable of anything? Boredom? Maybe god was feeling a little lonely?
Ah yes, so he created a pet!

Then when his pets misbehaved he drowned the lot of them.
What does that tell us about this most dangerous figment of someones imagination?

Anyways whatevers clever... IMO God and satan do exist and we are very close to the end.
Thus we dismiss your inane views.

DeletedUser1121

Uh, yes I can.

Wrong again. They don't explain how you should act, they tell you how to act and coerce you to act and think the way the dogma teaches.
You could of course chose to not act the way they threaten you to, but then you'd burn in hell. Forever and ever.

How is that for telling us something about morals?

That is just your interpertation. If you act according to the laws of your country (most of the important ones are based on the same morals which are in the bible) you are a good person in my eyes. And we all know what happens to good persons :nowink:

DeletedUser

Alright, I'll play. Where does an angel go when he dies? How about a demon? How about Lucifer (fallen angel), or God? Where do they go when they die?

*short circuit the fantasy*

DeletedUser

That is just your interpertation. If you act according to the laws of your country (most of the important ones are based on the same morals which are in the bible) you are a good person in my eyes. And we all know what happens to good persons :nowink:

Oh really. Some of us call that the Nuremberg defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_Orders

Superior Orders (often known as the Nuremberg Defense or Lawful Orders) is a plea in a court of law that a soldier not be held guilty for actions which were ordered by a superior office.[1] The superior orders defense is similar to the doctrine of respondeat superior in tort law where a superior is held liable for the actions of a subordinate, and the subordinate may escape liability.[2] Legal scholars and war crimes tribunals define the superior orders plea as the complement to Command responsibility and may correlate or distinguish the plea from the doctrine of respondeat superior.[3]
One of the most noted uses of this defense was by the accused in the 1945-46 Nuremberg Trials, such that it is also called the "Nuremberg Defense." The Nuremberg Trials were a series of military tribunals, held by the main victorious Allied forces of World War II, most notable for the prosecution of prominent members of the political, military, and economic leadership of the defeated Nazi Germany. It was during these trials, under the London Charter of the International Military Tribunal which set them up, that the defense of "Superior Orders" was no longer considered enough to escape punishment; but merely enough to lessen punishment.[4]

In Mexico, up until around 1950, it was legal, and LAW, to kill an Indian when you saw one. I guess, in your eyes, that killing Indians walking in the street in the 1950s would have made someone a good person in your eyes.

I suggest a comprehensive vision check in your case.

DeletedUser

I would like to suggest a new point. Most of the big modern religions stress on the importance of people acting good in society instead of being a bloodthirsty killing machine. How can any harm come from being a good and loving person?

And sort of offtopic, but Hellstromm I remember you saying how we shouldn't take advice from people who lived 2000 years ago. But I think that you are wrong on that, if you can't get the word of the people who lived 2000 years ago, then why not just seek the advice of the thousands of saints that lived in the past 30, 50, or 100 years?

DeletedUser

I would like to suggest a new point. Most of the big modern religions stress on the importance of people acting good in society instead of being a bloodthirsty killing machine. How can any harm come from being a good and loving person?

Define "good and loving".

DeletedUser

Define "good and loving".

I thought someone would say that :razz:

Not killing everything that you see. Being polite with others. Caring for your neighbors. Giving alms to charity. Not sleeping with the wives/husbands of others. You get the point?

DeletedUser9470

i think religion is somethingvery simple invented by someone quite smart to dominate people wo think they are smart.
if you look at most of what is said in religion, most is big straightforward, esay to abide to ideas like "thou shalt not kill"...
but it is vague enough to let smart wannabes think there is something written between the lines.

the fact of the matter is that religion is headed by one rich bossy mother.

so if you are smart and put 2 and 2 together you come to same conclusion:
its all a load of crap

DeletedUser14029

All c'mon. You can't judge Christianity base on Catholic-terror in the Middle-ages... Gave me creeps too, what they did. But in my community a lot of Salvation Army officers are earning minimum wages, just enough to support their families and they're very devoted to work. By definition I mean REALLY devoted >.<

First of all, Hellstormm - from what I know, - Angels and Demons don't die. Demons are corrupted Angels that followed Lucifer when Lucifer betrayed God because he thought he is greater than God - the Bible said he brought away one third of the angels to his side and were banished from Heaven.

Now if you read Revelations, it mentions at the Final Judgement, those without the names on the Book of Life will be cast into the pit of burning sulphur and fire - where Lucifer, and his lot are. Angels and Demons don't really... Die. and God won't die either. Something in existence doesn't really incur a beginning or an end, right?

DeletedUser1121

Oh really. Some of us call that the Nuremberg defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_Orders

In Mexico, up until around 1950, it was legal, and LAW, to kill an Indian when you saw one. I guess, in your eyes, that killing Indians walking in the street in the 1950s would have made someone a good person in your eyes.

I suggest a comprehensive vision check in your case.

I wasn't talking about responsability. Everybody is responsible for his own actions. Actually, the Nurenberg defense was rejected lately a few times against old nazi leaders.

And i clearly stated most of the important laws were based on morals. I am sure you can find a strange law in every country around the world. Fact is that we don't live in the 50's anymore for a while now. So it is of no use at all to call on a single law in a single country to make your point.

I still have no answer about the walking over water thing by the way..

DeletedUser14029

I did answer! :D

I said the story is about faith and believe in Jesus if I am not mistaken.

DeletedUser

First of all, Hellstormm - from what I know, - Angels and Demons don't die. Demons are corrupted Angels that followed Lucifer when Lucifer betrayed God because he thought he is greater than God - the Bible said he brought away one third of the angels to his side and were banished from Heaven.

Now if you read Revelations, it mentions at the Final Judgement, those without the names on the Book of Life will be cast into the pit of burning sulphur and fire - where Lucifer, and his lot are. Angels and Demons don't really... Die. and God won't die either. Something in existence doesn't really incur a beginning or an end, right?
Hehe, I read the Bible. I must say, I find it entertaining you don't see a problem with the above, nor the contradictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.