Bible Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser10480

I'm an atheist but Hellstrom demanding an end to contradiction is quite funny.

To keep it simple, Christians don't run around nowadays blowing up their babies in the name of christianity. Muslims do. (yes, I know not all muslims are terrorists you numbskull).

When Christians start blowing up the nyc and London subways and airliners I'll get concerned about the christians.

DeletedUser

To keep it simple, Christians don't run around nowadays blowing up their babies in the name of christianity. Muslims do. (yes, I know not all muslims are terrorists you numbskull).

When Christians start blowing up the nyc and London subways and airliners I'll get concerned about the christians.

Are you serious? How many bombs did the Catholic IRA set off in London, Birmingham etc?

DeletedUser

Alright, I'll play. Where does an angel go when he dies? How about a demon? How about Lucifer (fallen angel), or God? Where do they go when they die?

This is what I think...

Everybody has biomechanical energy in them ie their soul. Theres even been devices created that can detect and display this energy.

Ive read some of Einsteins work where he said he thought energy once created could not be destroyed or in other words energy would exist forever in one form or another.

If thats true maybe god cant destroy energy either. I mean why punish us with a eternity of hell when he could just obliterate our souls into oblivion. The bible stresses gods unlimited compacity for mercy. If that is true why would he sentence a being of his creation to a eternity of cruelty. I know its a punishment but that seems a very harsh punishment from a merciful being such as god. I mean we were never given the choice to live or "exist" and if we were I dont remember it! heh. We were created and thrown into this existence without ever being given a choice between existing and living a righteous life or not existing at all. So than just because we choose not to believe or live a righteous life were doomed to a eternity of hell? I think its more likely that einstein was correct in that energy once created can not be destroyed and hell is just a place to put the bad energy aka souls. Furthermore our souls are energy that orginated from god. I dont think he can destroy this energy because to do so he'd have to be able to destroy himself.

To answer your question no one knows. Thats part of the test. Faith is to believe without seeing and without proof. To believe and trust in god that where ever we go when we die as long as were with him we'll be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

To answer your question no one knows. Thats part of the test. Faith is to believe without seeing and without proof. To believe and trust in god that where ever we go when we die as long as were with him we'll be okay.
How about we take that one logical step further. Not merely that we do not know if demons, angels, Satan and God can die, or where they go if they do die, but we don't even know if they exist, any more than we know Allah, Odin, Zeus, leprechauns, the tooth fairy, or Klingons exist. There's no evidence, for or against. So yes, it's faith --- faith on a fantasy --- faith on stories written two thousand years ago by sheep herders in togas, ignorant of almost everything we know today and whose claims include a "man" centered universe, a flat earth, two of all species (roughly 50 million animals) fitting into a large wooden boat, and a race of immortal eunuchs.

DeletedUser

whats funny to me is that most people read the King James VERSION... of the bible. which is just a VERSION of the orriginal. not a translation. the most accurate bible is the New World Translation. studies have been made to prove that. and NO WHERE in that bible will you find a place where it says that you will burn in hell and be tormented for eternity. the bible says that "God is Love." why would a loving and merciful god torment ANYONE for eternity? he wouldnt. which is why i dont believe in a place of fiery torment.

DeletedUser

Everybody has biomechanical energy in them ie their soul. Theres even been devices created that can detect and display this energy.

Is this what you think or something, that can be found outside of hypothetical ideas?
I've never heard of this before. I know about biomechanical energy harvesters, that create electricity by movement, but that doesn't really relate to souls. Or do you mean enzymes that work partly with mechanical power, i.e. ATPases? The connection to souls still eludes me there.

Do you care to elaborate?

DeletedUser

Romans 6:23 (In all translations) says that the wages of sin is death.

The KJV is a translation of the Bible. It is also a very good one; although I believe that the NAS is an even better one.

DeletedUser

The KJV is a translation of the Bible. It is also a very good one; although I believe that the NAS is an even better one.
Thanks Justin, contradiction presented.

Satan and devils .. sin, wage is death. Ergo, they die.

DeletedUser

i DO believe that you die for sinning. but being tortured? i dont believe that at all. and KJV has the word VERSION right in its name. if someone gives you their VERSION of what someone said, and someone else gives you the TRANSLATION of what they said, which is more likely to be correct?

ps- look up the question on Jeapordy about which bible is the most accurate and see what you find.
answer: NWT

DeletedUser

the bible says that "God is Love." why would a loving and merciful god torment ANYONE for eternity? he wouldnt. which is why i dont believe in a place of fiery torment.

Yes but torment could be anything. It could be mental, physical ... you name it. The Bible is a lot of literal writing and figurative writing too. For example, fire could literally mean fire or it could mean pain.

i DO believe that you die for sinning. but being tortured? i dont believe that at all.

I do believe that you have a choice in there. And I know again there might be some sort of mental or physical torture such as I heard people say that simply being separated from God is torture enough. But, I believe that it isn't God that is torturing you. God didn't send you there. You put the shackles on yourself through your own choices. God gave us a choice for a reason.

and KJV has the word VERSION right in its name. if someone gives you their VERSION of what someone said, and someone else gives you the TRANSLATION of what they said, which is more likely to be correct?

yes but translation could be literal. A version is closer to an interpretation but not quite.

DeletedUser1121

So we are all sinners? Since everybody who has ever lived died or will die someday. God must feel real lonely up there. I guess somebody made some wrong judgement on what sins are :)

DeletedUser

Thanks Justin, contradiction presented.

Satan and devils .. sin, wage is death. Ergo, they die.

There is no contradiction, Hellstromm. The proper definition of death is separation (Webster, see 12). Sin causes separation from God.

i DO believe that you die for sinning. but being tortured? i dont believe that at all.

You don't believe it because you don't want to believe it. It's not because it isn't in the Bible. Here are just a few quotes from your preferred version:

19 “But a certain man was rich, and he used to deck himself with purple and linen, enjoying himself from day to day with magnificence. 20 But a certain beggar named Lazarus used to be put at his gate, full of ulcers 21 and desiring to be filled with the things dropping from the table of the rich man. Yes, too, the dogs would come and lick his ulcers. 22 Now in course of time the beggar died and he was carried off by the angels to the bosom [position] of Abraham.
“Also, the rich man died and was buried. 23 And in Hades he lifted up his eyes, he existing in torments, and he saw Abraham afar off and Lazarus in the bosom [position] with him. 24 So he called and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in anguish in this blazing fire.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you received in full your good things in your lifetime, but Lazarus correspondingly the injurious things. Now, however, he is having comfort here but you are in anguish. 26 And besides all these things, a great chasm has been fixed between us and YOU people, so that those wanting to go over from here to YOU people cannot, neither may people cross over from there to us.’ 27 Then he said, ‘In that event I ask you, father, to send him to the house of my father, 28 for I have five brothers, in order that he may give them a thorough witness, that they also should not get into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to these.’ 30 Then he said, ‘No, indeed, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them they will repent.’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone rises from the dead.’”

However, I say to YOU that everyone who continues wrathful with his brother will be accountable to the court of justice; but whoever addresses his brother with an unspeakable word of contempt will be accountable to the Supreme Court; whereas whoever says, ‘You despicable fool!’ will be liable to the fiery Gehenna.

“Then he will say, in turn, to those on his left, ‘Be on YOUR way from me, YOU who have been cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the Devil and his angels.

and KJV has the word VERSION right in its name. if someone gives you their VERSION of what someone said, and someone else gives you the TRANSLATION of what they said, which is more likely to be correct?

I'd really like to know what level of education you have. I doubt you've ever read a history of the KJV. I have. You should.

This article explains fairly well why the NWT is not a good translation, let alone the best: http://www.gotquestions.org/New-World-Translation.html

So we are all sinners? Since everybody who has ever lived died or will die someday.

Read the verse again. It says that the wages of sin is death. We do all deserve death; but, because of His love for us, Christ took what we deserve. That is why, unlike all other messages, the gospel is one of love.

DeletedUser

So we are all sinners? Since everybody who has ever lived died or will die someday. God must feel real lonely up there. I guess somebody made some wrong judgement on what sins are :)

If you keep on reading it says after that part That the wages are death but the gift of God's is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.(NIV)

DeletedUser

Lol, okay so if I blow someone's head off, they're not dead, they're just "separated from God."

I'll remember that next time.

DeletedUser

I'd like to know where in the Bible it says that a 'sinner' will be tortured for eternity.

What I've read is that if Adam and Eve were to eat from the tree of life, they would become immortal "like us." That sounds like humans were not immortal by nature. I'll repeat part of what was written in my Holy Babble:

Gehenna (one of the words often translated as Hell) was a pit where garbage and dead bodies (especially those who died of contagious diseases) were burned. If you followed the guide lines, you'd continue to live; if you didn't, you'd get sick, die and could end up being sent to the pit. Sheol (another word usually translated as Hell) actually means grave or pit. Again, it's saying that if you don't follow the guide lines, you'll die and could end up in a grave.

DeletedUser

Lol, okay so if I blow someone's head off, they're not dead, they're just "separated from God."

I'll remember that next time.

Hellstromm, you have to remember that if you read the Bible I believe in Revelations that Satan is already sentenced to death. If I recall chained for 1000 years which a bunch of other things God says will happen to him. Plus, Satan and his demons are angels, otherwise know as spirits and celestial being. They aren't human. They dont just die like we do. Also, if you blow someone's head off I don't see how they are separated from God in anyway because they haven't sinned. I can more see you being separated for sinning by taking the life of another.

I'd like to know where in the Bible it says that a 'sinner' will be tortured for eternity.

The Bible, if I am correct does not, in anyways state explicitly that people are going to be tortured. It does talk about a fiery place called Hell to which all those who did not accept Jesus Christ as their Saviour will go to. Since this place is fiery, people believe that the fire is probably going to torture you. Although there is a lot of debate whether the fire is a literal element or a figurative thing. And since sinners, which is what people call those who haven't accept Jesus as the Messiah, will be sent there for eternity, there you go.

What I've read is that if Adam and Eve were to eat from the tree of life, they would become immortal "like us." That sounds like humans were not immortal by nature. I'll repeat part of what was written in my Holy Babble:

If you actually read the Bible you can see that what it really says is that Satan to the shape and form of a snake and lied to Eve by promising her that if she ate of the forbidden fruit that she would be like God. Of course she took the bait and Adam followed her. Guess what turns out the snake actually fibbed. Of course after that there were punishments. One of which separated humans from God and created hard or harder work and labor. Another consequence was death. Before Adam and Eve ate the fruit, it is believed that there was no such thing as death.

Gehenna (one of the words often translated as Hell) was a pit where garbage and dead bodies (especially those who died of contagious diseases) were burned. If you followed the guide lines, you'd continue to live; if you didn't, you'd get sick, die and could end up being sent to the pit. Sheol (another word usually translated as Hell) actually means grave or pit. Again, it's saying that if you don't follow the guide lines, you'll die and could end up in a grave.

These to places and things were used to symbolize Hell. Since nobody knew or knows what Hell is like people are confused as some or most can't comprehend. Although nobody in reality know, the Bible does use things like the above Gehenna, Sheol, and descriptions such as fire, to further give humans a way to visualize this place.

DeletedUser

If you actually read the Bible you can see that what it really says is that Satan to the shape and form of a snake and lied to Eve by promising her that if she ate of the forbidden fruit that she would be like God. Of course she took the bait and Adam followed her. Guess what turns out the snake actually fibbed. Of course after that there were punishments. One of which separated humans from God and created hard or harder work and labor. Another consequence was death. Before Adam and Eve ate the fruit, it is believed that there was no such thing as death.
Perhaps you should reread your Bible; I've read many versions many times over the years. Nowhere does it say that Satan took the form of the serpent. The serpent also didn't say that she would be immortal, it said she would know good and evil like gods do. Maybe you could start with Genesis 4:22 - And the Lord God said, "Behold, the man is become as one to us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever.

These to places and things were used to symbolize Hell. Since nobody knew or knows what Hell is like people are confused as some or most can't comprehend. Although nobody in reality know, the Bible does use things like the above Gehenna, Sheol, and descriptions such as fire, to further give humans a way to visualize this place.

Gehenna was an actual place. It was a big pit outside of the city where they burned garbage and dead bodies. There was a fire that was always kept burning there. Sheol is a word that means grave or pit.

DeletedUser

Perhaps you should reread your Bible; I've read many versions many times over the years. Nowhere does it say that Satan took the form of the serpent. The serpent also didn't say that she would be immortal, it said she would know good and evil like gods do. Maybe you could start with Genesis 4:22 - And the Lord God said, "Behold, the man is become as one to us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever.

I never said that the serpent promised them immortality. I said that the serpent promised them to be like God and the verse does say to know good and evil, like God. Here is the verse in the version I use (NIV):Verse Also, your Genesis 4:22 reference is probably the wrong verse. I believe its probably a miss reference as I double checked it through biblegateway and found something totally different.

Gehenna was an actual place. It was a big pit outside of the city where they burned garbage and dead bodies. There was a fire that was always kept burning there. Sheol is a word that means grave or pit.

Exactly. I did the research on Wikipedia. Since nobody knows what hell is like, I am saying that the Bible uses these terms to describe hell and to allow people to visualize and have an idea of what it is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.