accept/decline duels

how annoying is randomly being duelled to you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reyne

That is the level 1 bank. Upgrade your bank and you deposit more.

How realistic is it to work 40 different jobs a week? How realistic is it that one man can single handedly build a town? How realistic is it that you can duel someone who has a shotgun, be hit 8 times and not be dead?

Total realism would be horrendous.

Yes, upgrading is something to do after you build your hotel so you can rest, and store so you can afford to buy things.

So do you advocate removing the two non-fighting classes? Because if there can't be a compromise, you may as well remove them.

Reyne;
It is NOT a guaranteed win.
You are acting as though you are actually going down a coal mine all day rather than just clicking on a button, same as a dueller is.
That's called roleplay.
Duellers only gain significant experience points if they attack higher up players.
Not so. Every duel I've been involved in was with someone anywhere from one to five ranks higher than I was. They all gained experience off of me, the last one gain 30 EPs. I gained NOTHING.
It is not a guaranteed loss
Therefore they can get money off a dueller.
Therefore they can get experience points from the encounter ESPECIALLY if it was a higher ranked player.
It's certainly not been my experience. Perhaps there is a bug in the system. And please don't tell me to get a weapon or raise skills to become a better dueler. I have a weapon, and why would I become a better dueler if I prefer to be a different character class - as is provided by the game developer?

It seems the other classes are surviving very well indeed. have you looked at the leader board...it may surprise you! Please note that a couple of the duellers there have no gear because they basically got there by 'cheating'
Sorry, not buying it. I don't play for competition or ranks. I play to immerse myself in building a town in the old West. Yes, there was some lawlessness. Sojourner explained that very well.

Have you ever thought of building your bank up so it holds more money.
Or of recruiting a dueller so your town has more balance?

Yes, after we get the other buildings we need. And we did have a dueler. We recruit all kinds. Are you volunteering? ;)

DeletedUser

Not on your nelly old son!
This is going to sound awfully patronising but hey you ain't gonna duel me are you?:)

Most of the problems you are outlining are things that experience will answer for you more eloquently than anything anyone else can say. In short you seem to want to have your cake and eat it. You want this you want that and you want it all now. There are plenty of strategies at your disposal to advance if you have the patience and wit to pursue them.
It seems that you want this to be a solo point and click exercise. Get a tamagotchi.

Reyne

No, I don't want to have my cake and eat it too. How is it wanting my cake and eating it too when my character does all the work? What I want is balance. This sounds like what the Dueling class wants, to take with no risk and have it all. And you don't have to wait two hours to get it or to take two weeks to complete a building (longer when you're continually robbed).

And no one has yet to explain how a consent system hurts Duelers or restricts them. There are other duelers and soldiers to fight. Do you REALLY need to attack all other characters? Game growth is a good thing, yes? Adventurers and Workers grow the towns from which you duelers benefit, yes? Then find a REAL target. A challenging target. And leave us alone and let us work and build. If you can't do that on your own, then let us propose coding with would provide game balance.

DeletedUser

There are risks to the duelling class. We forego the advantages you have chosen by your class choice. Consent would mean far fewer targets, so that's how it hurts duellers. Duelling isn't very financially rewarding. I don't think that you want balance because what you are proposing is one way traffic.

Reyne

Not at all. Duelers have their own benefits. Believe me, while I was working my way up to rank ten I read and re-read every single one of them several times over trying to decide which would be better and more fun for my playing style.

Consent would mean a some fewer targets. You'd still have plenty and more of a challenge.

Yes, I've changed my way of playing. Since you duelers seem to be intent on imposing yourself on my game, I've slowed down a bit. I carry very little money and then spend it all on building as quickly as I can. I take the things I find, save them up, go to a different town and sell them so I can take the money back and build. Hopefully, I can get back to questing eventually.

But in the meantime, I'm going to continue to work for balance.

DeletedUser1105

I take the things I find, save them up, go to a different town and sell them so I can take the money back and build.

Off topic, I suppose, but why don't you sell them in your own town? Quicker to deposit in the treasury and less chance of being duelled :)

Reyne

I gave up and joined another town with buildings already in place.
:sad:

I just find it funny that people complain about the consent system not being realistic enough, yet a few posts later complain that realism could wreck the game. "Realism...when it suits you."

DeletedUser

realism has nothing to do with the fact that you want to play a non pvp game. Go play something else then. It's an inherent part of the west. Deal with it. I'm sick of this thread. I'll be posting in discussions that include fair play balance and some thought.

DeletedUser

Fair play is exactly what we're after here. The idea that you should be allowed to act as a bandit without fear of reprisal is ridiculous, and totally typical of a certain class of PvP players, e.g. the bullies.

Nobody's saying there can't be ANY PvP; only that there should be reasonable checks and balances, as there are in the real world. Dueling is one thing; that should be totally consensual outside of the professions of lawman, soldiery, or duelist. Banditry doesn't have to be consensual, but the bandit should face the reasonable risk inherent to the profession, eg, being chased down by lawmen, soldiery, posses, or bounty hunters.

That's fair play and balance. Thinking you should be allowed to run roughshod overy everybody in the game without consequences is not.

Sojourner

DeletedUser

I agree, there cant be "my way or the highway" and "fair play balance in the same space. Just doesnt work.

DeletedUser1105

Sojourner, you've summed it up nicely there.

All we need is another class (bandit) and combine it with the sherrif/jail idea and it would probably fix people's idea.

Or even not another class. Use the 'Ambush or Duel' idea and everyone has a choice. If you choose ambush, you face jail time, if you choose duel, you have to get consent.

DeletedUser

''without fear of reprisal''- That is not actually the reality of this game.
By the way chaps I don't know if you are aware but their are actually proposals out there that practically address this issue.

DeletedUser

duelling is one of the parts of this game to make it interesting, without it, getting up levels seems redundant.

DeletedUser1865

honeslty

if you were to decline being dueled you would be seen as a coward in the west, dueling is about honor. defending your honor or challenging someone for honor and respect. Now what i think they should do is allow you to prepare for an oncoming duel to give you better chance of winning. I really hate it when i dont hae my dueling gear on for defending and I get dueled while I am wearing my attackers gear or my working gear. I hate that.

DeletedUser

I agree with callicia143
There really should be a way to defend against optimized attacker.
There can be at least two ways:

1. After opening the duel notification, you have the possibility of changing your equipment and othed dueling options (hit points and dodge directions). Then hit "Duel" button and see the outcome.

2. Having a possibility in Duel window to save Duel Equipment, separately from the equipment in Inventory window.

Option 2. should be easier to include in the game, as this still uses the "duel outcome notification", which is instant. Otherwise you just do not open the notification mail and this would be like not accepting to duel.

If someone has other / better ideas... please...

DeletedUser

changing the way duels work would change the concept of the game to much, and if i am not wrong in the forum rules say that no ideas that will change the concept will be approved.It is annoying sometimes but its the way the game works , some random ppl attack you , you attack some random ppl as well .. thats the game.

if there would be a option to decline the duel , than those with dueler / soldiers profession wouldnt make so much money since they get those by attacking workers.

DeletedUser

Its funny how these guys keep saying no retribution. I already know Reynes is in a crappy town but the others need to take Ulthor's advice and get some duelers in their towns. The towns I am in will send duelers to knock you out if you mess with our workers. I think they are hobby players and want to play in a simcity environment. All the whinning gets old after a while though. Give them a bottle and get them to stop crying about it pleeeeeeeease.

Status
Not open for further replies.