Why is the US So Fat?

DeletedUser

130Lbs... big whoop, not everything in weight is fat buddy, I weighed 174Lbs when I was 12 Mix of height and muscle.

DeletedUser

Germany has a weight problem (as far as I know); I think theirs I spurred by chocolate and alcohol.

DeletedUser

130Lbs... big whoop, not everything in weight is fat buddy, I weighed 174Lbs when I was 12 Mix of height and muscle.

Do you actually read before replying? did you see the part where I said 10 year old weighting 130 pounds? maybe asking you to read a whole post is too much?

P.S am I right to assume you suffer from a weight problem?(i.e fat)?

DeletedUser14280

Look, everyone, from now on, ignore Toko22, unless you have a witty putdown that'll make the rest of us like you more.

And Toko, I've been refraining from giving you bad rep, but if I hear one more nasty word out of you, I'm going to report you for offensive conduct.

Let's talk about Wii Fit.
I got it for christmas a year (maybe two) ago, but I didn't play it for long.
I started waking up sore every morning, so when someone packed it up to play another game, I didn't have the heart to open it up again.

DeletedUser

Look, everyone, from now on, ignore Toko22, unless you have a witty putdown that'll make the rest of us like you more.

And Toko, I've been refraining from giving you bad rep, but if I hear one more nasty word out of you, I'm going to report you for offensive conduct.

Let's talk about Wii Fit.
I got it for christmas a year (maybe two) ago, but I didn't play it for long.
I started waking up sore every morning, so when someone packed it up to play another game, I didn't have the heart to open it up again.

This is a thread discussing Obesity(among other things). As such, I am well within my right giving my own opinion about the subject. Maybe if you put the same effort in getting some exercise that you do in getting offended, we wouldn't have a problem.

DeletedUser14280

Tum-te-tum, I'm ignoring you...

So, Thomas Franklin, where'd you read about there being a weight problem in Germany?

DeletedUser

Being an American, I'll tell you.

I've traveled Europe and Canada several times. The biggest difference between us and them is how food is marketed. Here in the US, food is marketed as a way to have fun, get chicks, feel overly-full, make parties happen, change your life, etc. Here, food completes us. Food in Europe is... well, food. It is what it is.

Also, food is expensive here. There are so many crap-sources of food that actual "good" food has become a commodity. If you want a burger, you can spend $6.00 for a healthy-ish one at a sit-down cafe, or you can go to McDonalds and get one for $2.00 Oh, and don't forget the fries! And the Coke! And don't forget that for only $.49 you can make your portions 33% larger!! It's a byproduct of capitalism/consumerism: we expect value in every transaction. We want to feel like we are making out like bandits every time we pull up to a drive-thru menu.

Unfortunately, the only way to eat healthy here is to live near a farm, to eat smaller portions (year right), or to pay a lot for everything you stick in your mouth...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14280

What about the Original Burger from KFC?
Does having chicken and lettuce and bread in it make it healthy?

DeletedUser

I'm sure it's been said, but it's really not a complicated answer.

1. Sedentary lifestyle. When it comes to sports, we tend to be spectators, not participants, unless we're exercising our thumbs. We drive everywhere.

2. Diet. When the foods you eat are 50% fat, so are you. A lot of it comes down to laziness again: it's easier to buy a bucket of fried chicken than it is to cook your own meals. It's also a matter of instant gratification.

Does that make us bad people? No, it just makes us fat people.

DeletedUser

I blame it on milk! Most of the places with higher rates of obesity tend to drink more milk, eat more red (fatty) meat, and eat more starchy foods.

Lower income people often have weight problems (according to a few social workers and doctors I know) because they depend heavily on pasta (macaroni, spaghetti, etc.), bread (sandwiches or just filler), hamburger (higher in fats than more expensive cuts of meat) and junk food (more filling than healthier foods, so seemingly less expensive).

I also think that more people in the US drive, ride busses/subways, or take cabs most places than in many places. You do see more people riding bikes now with the rising costs of gas, but still don't see a lot of people walking other than short distances (compared to the number driving/riding). A lot of people walked to work or school years ago; now too many have an hour drive or more one way, so walking isn't really feasible.

Until my lungs went kaput on me, I usually walked at least 5-10 miles a day, I've never cared much for bread or pasta, I'm lactose intolerant, and I was always underweight. I can't even walk a block now, and have gained some weight, but I'm still within a few pounds of what my doctor considers to be my ideal weight. I'd say diet and genetics have more to do with it than laziness.

DeletedUser

Tum-te-tum, I'm ignoring you...

So, Thomas Franklin, where'd you read about there being a weight problem in Germany?

It may be a stereotype I heard, but I first heard of the alcoholism in an article on the German Army being unfit: they are the army with the highest percentage of drunk soldiers (and officers) in the world (I don't mean to offend any Germans here) and there's things like Octoberfest (Germany holds the largest beer festivals in the world). I think I just heard somewhere that the Germans eat a lot of chocolate compared to the average nation (same thing with the Dutch), and those combine to create a weight problem in Germany.

DeletedUser

I blame it on milk! Most of the places with higher rates of obesity tend to drink more milk, eat more red (fatty) meat, and eat more starchy foods.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there Artemis. Argentines eat 2 to 3 times more red meat than Americans, drink and eat plenty of dairy products, and pastas are definitely not a stranger to them.

What you eat is not as important as how that food is prepared and what you do with yourself before and after you eat.

DeletedUser

"What you eat is not as important as how that food is prepared and what you do with yourself before and after you eat." By Hellstromm

Yea, look at the ROMANS , they ate and ate and then went to the VOMITARIUM.

DeletedUser

It's lifestyle, diet, access to cheap & healthy food combination that makes USA so fat.

http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?p=260366&highlight=food+obesity#post260366

I need to google to find some of those research I read. If an area is poor, tend to have climate & weather that discourage outdoor exercise + local diet prefer unhealthy type of cuisine, your chance of finding obese people is quite high.

and to update my own post, I found out what USA take for granted as "Italian food", spaghetti & meatball sauce is actually an American invention (according to Alton Brown's good eats).

I don't think Germany's obesity problem is as bad as USA, at least the parts of Germany that I traveled and visited in.

DeletedUser

Wasnt Australia named the worlds most obese country a while back?

DeletedUser

Wasnt Australia named the worlds most obese country a while back?
Probably, there is definitely a big problem here, and dodgy current affairs shows run regular filler pieces on our "obesity epidemic", usually showing footage of unfortunate children waddling around with their faces blacked out. These shows will often discuss how children are spending too much time behind the computer or in front of the television, instead of playing in the healthy fresh air and getting plenty of well needed excercise. Of course these are the same crappy, commercial, right-wing programs that try to convince parents that every stranger on the street is a paedofile, every piece of play equipment is a deathtrap, and that playing outside in the healthy fresh air is suicidally dangerous for children.

As for the true causes of obesity in the modern western world, I think Elmyr pretty much nailed them with his post.