Why is the US So Fat?

DeletedUser

Every time you ingest Diet Coke it is a missed opportunity to drink a glass of water.

It isn't so much that bad food is bad. The problems start when bad food is substituted for good food.

DeletedUser

diet coke is 99% water, so its only really missed chance of drinking 1% more water

DeletedUser

Lifestyle, diet, and worst of all, convenience. In America if you can't or won't do something, usually there's a program or group who will do it for you.

Convenience can be nice, but too much can super-size you.

DeletedUser

That 1% is what is going to nerf your sugar levels, give you a short term high, give you a caffeine addiction and encourage you to eat more carbs. Not to mention the laxative affect of artificial sweeteners lolz!

That 1% is 100% un-necessary in your diet.

DeletedUser

poor diet

two issues:

1. Poor diet choices in my humble opinion. To begin with, in the states, most fresh foods used to be canned. The long distances makes it costly to ship fresh produce. These days people from the US are much more interested in farm to market produce. However, this is not pervasive, nor the norm. Besides which, the new fresh grocer approach is too expensive for most. Remember, people in the US are conditioned to buy by value and by the month, as opposed to by quality and every other day or so. Even organized organic GM free foods are expenisve (take Whole foods, popularly known as Whole Pay Cheque)

Another issue is the dichotomy between affluent and 'underclass'. I lived in Philadelphia, Pa. for almost a decade. I always found it ridiculous that certain sections of that city are completely void of markets selling produce and healthy food. Instead there is the petrol station, fast food, or the 'corner store' with their pale sized soft drinks and junk food.

2nd is consumerism. The telly advertises crap food and so the people buy crap food.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

obesity is a societal problem that the US is facing. It is a combination of unhealthy foods being more readily available, stress, cultural acceptance that obesity is ok, US cultures obsession with TV and computers, and a lack of nutritional awareness. the real list is longer, but these are a few main points.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
I wonder if a healthy supermarket chain would be welcomed in the USA. Healthy food was so easy to get in Holland and junk was hard to find, the total opposite.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

we have subway... i love their food. not everything they have is healthy, but they hae much more healthy options then BK or McDonalds.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
No I mean instead of ice cream, noodle, microwave meals and sugary cereal isle they have section for more useful stuff like dairy, meat, bread products, fruit etc. Being able to buy fruit on the street is also good.

I know we have that in our supermarkets but it's harder to find and we haven't got a very good choice.

Most places have the fast food chains, the products change depending on the country but none of it's very good.

DeletedUser

we have subway... i love their food. not everything they have is healthy, but they hae much more healthy options then BK or McDonalds.

Subway has some fattening foods, but one shred of proof that some of their food is good is Jared Fogle.

DeletedUser

He start exercising, granted, but he also went on the Subway Diet and lost TONS of weight (not the measurement tons, the adjective tons).

DeletedUser

He start exercising, granted, but he also went on the Subway Diet and lost TONS of weight (not the measurement tons, the adjective tons).

Lol, the "subway" diet. You actually bought into that?

I could go into the "Double Orea Cookie Diet" and still lose weight. It's simply about consuming less calories than what your body is using.

DeletedUser

They make me sick!!!

I'm talking about the ones who don't have a medical problem(i.e 99.9% of them). If only they could clamp down they jaws of fatness, they wouldn't be so damn fat. What's more disgusting than watching a 300 pound woman wearing tight clothes? *shudder*.

My 398 pound sister-in-law who is so large she can't wipe herself or take a decent shower and wears rotting clothes that may get washed twice a month. She's epileptic and almost couldn't get an MRI because the equipment has a limit of 400 pounds. She was actually "manageable" in the upper 200's until Social Services decided her weight was too much for her knees. So what do you think they did? Put her in a weight management program? An exercise program? Nope, wrong again. They GAVE her an electric powered wheel chair and she ballooned an additional 100 pounds. Good ole entitlement government we have here in the US isn't it. Don't do the thing that is best, just the thing that is the cheapest (making her get off her ass would've been best in the long run but we've become such a rediculously litigious society that someone was probably afraid of getting sued for not "giving" her a solution).

What's worse than the morbidly obese people are those that decide they have to be enablers to them.

DeletedUser

My 398 pound sister-in-law who is so large she can't wipe herself or take a decent shower and wears rotting clothes that may get washed twice a month. She's epileptic and almost couldn't get an MRI because the equipment has a limit of 400 pounds. She was actually "manageable" in the upper 200's until Social Services decided her weight was too much for her knees. So what do you think they did? Put her in a weight management program? An exercise program? Nope, wrong again. They GAVE her an electric powered wheel chair and she ballooned an additional 100 pounds. Good ole entitlement government we have here in the US isn't it. Don't do the thing that is best, just the thing that is the cheapest (making her get off her ass would've been best in the long run but we've become such a rediculously litigious society that someone was probably afraid of getting sued for not "giving" her a solution).

What's worse than the morbidly obese people are those that decide they have to be enablers to them.

That is a sad story indeed.

But how did she get into the upper 200's in the first place? It just boggle my mind that someone can get so fat without doing something about it.

DeletedUser

I wonder if a healthy supermarket chain would be welcomed in the USA. Healthy food was so easy to get in Holland and junk was hard to find, the total opposite.

All of the supermarkets have the healthy foods, they're just more expensive and have a lower profit margin for the big stores and therefore don't get the prime isle placement (elbow to shoulder height where it's easier to grab). I have a brother-in-law who is a Supermarket Manager and the psychology behind getting you to buy what is most profitable is not only mind bogglingly insane but is being practiced on a second-by-second basis. Those discount cards at the supermarket are used to track consumption trends and give you "special" offers to get to buy products which you may like but are more profitable to the stores. Manipulation of the masses isn't something in the back pages of fiction, it's alive and thriving here in the good ole USA.

"Would you like fries with that"? or "Would you like to upsize/biggie-size that order for an extra 99 cents"? The average consumer (key word consumer) wants the largest quantity for their money and once they have that quantity, they are obligated not to waste it ("that would be like throwing money down the drain" or "What about those starving kids in __________").

Longer work hours for many in non-physically demanding jobs, less exercise, more disposable income so we can sit on our asses and type (wait, that's me) and you pretty much have the answer to your obesity problem. Not to mention the fact that the levels of what is considered to be obese keep rising (no kidding) just like the sizes of womens dresses keep increasing (a size 4 from 30 years ago can be a size 0 by some manufacturers today, got to keep the women feeling good about themselves ... mam, you have a 54" waist but I have a size 6 that will fit you nicely ... SOLD!)

How many people on a average Sunday would rather watch NFL football than go outside and play touch-football?

DeletedUser

That is a sad story indeed.

But how did she get into the upper 200's in the first place? It just boggle my mind that someone can get so fat without doing something about it.

She got that way by being epileptic and placed on "Social Services" (Medicare/Medicaid) and was given a seat at the table of "entitlement", that place where money truly does grow on trees (the ones that everyone else has to plant, nurture and pay for that is). As her weight kept climbing, her epileptic medication became less and less stable so she was jumped from one drug to another to try to control, all the while playing the "poor me" card and not doing anything for herself. Currently, she has the mental ability of a pre-teenager and the family has to bail her out of her problems every few months (gets kicked out of houses, trailers, motel room, etc. due to not cleaning them and they become roach infested ... and no, I'm not kidding because we did it again last weekend ... it happens 3 or 4 times per year on average). She's had apartments in the past where she used an extra bedroom for trash because she didn't want to carry the trash out to the dumpster, and continues to used a plugged up toilet because "someone just spilled something on the floor" ... getting the picture of the total mental collapse that happens in an "entitlement" world (we've tried to put her into an assisted living facility but she checks herself out because they "keep all her money" ... we get her into a facility that lets her keep $52 of her $800 SSI check for a $5000/month facility and she walks out).

DeletedUser

She got that way by being epileptic and placed on "Social Services" (Medicare/Medicaid) and was given a seat at the table of "entitlement", that place where money truly does grow on trees (the ones that everyone else has to plant, nurture and pay for that is). As her weight kept climbing, her epileptic medication became less and less stable so she was jumped from one drug to another to try to control, all the while playing the "poor me" card and not doing anything for herself. Currently, she has the mental ability of a pre-teenager and the family has to bail her out of her problems every few months (gets kicked out of houses, trailers, motel room, etc. due to not cleaning them and they become roach infested ... and no, I'm not kidding because we did it again last weekend ... it happens 3 or 4 times per year on average). She's had apartments in the past where she used an extra bedroom for trash because she didn't want to carry the trash out to the dumpster, and continues to used a plugged up toilet because "someone just spilled something on the floor" ... getting the picture of the total mental collapse that happens in an "entitlement" world (we've tried to put her into an assisted living facility but she checks herself out because they "keep all her money" ... we get her into a facility that lets her keep $52 of her $800 SSI check for a $5000/month facility and she walks out).

Jesus Christ!