Why is the US So Fat?

DeletedUser

The USA has the (probably correct) reputation for being the country with the highest percentage of obese citizens. Some of this is because of fattening foods, and being lethargic. The worst state for this is Mississippi, the least is New Jersey.

Why do you think there's so many obese in the United States?

DeletedUser

In Argentina, people pride themselves in looking lean, and it shows (pun). Every time i'm in the U.S., I'm amazed at the proliferation in obesity, especially those folks running around in Walmarts.

My take? I think it has a lot to do with lifestyle and diet. Americans, for the most part, leave a rather lackadaisical lifestyle and have horrible eating habits (McDonalds anyone?). But, I also think it has to do with excess. Availability, opportunity, distraction, consumption. Get it too easy, take it for granted.

DeletedUser

Fast food of course, folks would rather go someplace, such as Mcdonalds, as hellstorm said, to get more then a good portion of food for what most times is a low price, and is made a whole lot faster, and most times better, then anybody can make themselves at home, but not everybody in america is fat, but alot are, one thing i don't understand... with so many folks being fat, then why is it that folks in american put others down about being fat? kind of off-topic, but still,

due to the put downs, at young ages,

Fat kids = become sad, and feel like they need to be skiny,
which leads to...
very skiny adults. the thing is, because they were made fun of, they make fun of fat folks.

Now... why is it that america is so fat... if everybody is afraid of how they look in america?

could it be the parents fault?

Parents would most of the time, rather buy some food at a restraunt for about 5$ in about 3-4 Mins, and then spoil the child with games.

DS's PSP's PS3' PS2's Xboxe's Ect.

alot of the stuff I said is kind of off-topic, but still.

DeletedUser

Ill tell you why people in the US are so fat go into town and look for the big yellow M or look for anywhere else you can eat greasy, fatty, fried food.

DeletedUser

Whilst the USA has the highest rate of obesity in the Americas it cannot all be put at the feet of the parents or the ready availability of cheap "junk food". The highest proportion of obese men in Europe is Croatia with 31% of population and Albania has the most obese women at 36%, neither of which are particularly well blessed with cheap processed food outlets. According the W.H.O the most obese nations in the world are in the Western Pacific, again not the most "McDonalds" heavy countries.

It seems that the main reason is that we as a species have moved on from a mostly plant based diet to a high fat based animal diet as well as generally doing less physically active jobs than was previously the case.

Basically we have all got lazy because of technological progress and mass production. As the United States is one of the most technologically advanced nations in the world statistically it would be the most susceptible to the drawbacks this causes. Croatia and Albania have very high unemployment so there is less requirement for activity.

DeletedUser

(( Let me make a request. Let's try to avoid referring to those who are obese as "fat." For the most part it is an offensive term, and not altogether accurate. Thanks ))

DeletedUser14280

I actually have a little bit of a fat problem myself.
I manage to eat well, apart from favoring KFC a bit too much, but otherwise...
I think the problem lies in that I don't do enough exercise, I'm often sitting in front of the computer, or the TV, or on the bed, places like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14189

Dont you go to work/school?

i.e.

In order to keep myself in shape I force myself into daily exercise. From the 5 days I work I spend 2 days cycling 2x12 kilometres, in about an average of 30 km/h. And the rest of the week I use the subway, which offers a 15 minute walk from home to the station, and a 15 minute walk from the station to work. Wich is also 1h exercise a day.

All in all I dont get under 1h of exercise a day (xept for weekends). As a result of this I can eat anything I like (aslong as you breakfast well) and not gain a single pound.

Ive been 1.75cm and 65kg's for about 6 years now I guess. No fat to be found.

DeletedUser

Lack of daily excersize is an important factor.
I'm not necessarily talking about working out here, but the general avoidance of anything physicaly taxing, IE lazyness.

If it isn't a big building, take the stairs, walk those three stories.
Walk more, don't use the car if you're just going down the street for some grocery.
Take back the "training" in your everyday life. It'll be a good start.

Next on the list is ofc: Moderation. Don't eat or drink in excess.

Thirdly; Some real excersize, and a closer look at exactly wht you eat.
All these steps are ones that doesn't cost anyone much.

Heck, I am very much familiar with the enjoyment of food myself, as I like to cook,
but gluttony isn't the way to go, and gaining weight isn't fun.
Loosing weight, and feeeling you get in shape however, that is nice.

DeletedUser

I actually have a little bit of a fat problem myself.
I manage to eat well, apart from favoring KFC a bit too much, but otherwise...
I think the problem lies in that I don't do enough exercise, I'm often sitting in front of the computer, or the TV, or on the bed, places like that.

You got no one to blame but yourself. Instead of sitting your ass on the couch all day, watching tv and eating chips, go outside, play some tennis/soccer/footbal w/e. Get a dog, take him out for walks. Problem solved!

DeletedUser

Uhhh got a hate problem with obese people buddy?

They make me sick!!!

I'm talking about the ones who don't have a medical problem(i.e 99.9% of them). If only they could clamp down they jaws of fatness, they wouldn't be so damn fat. What's more disgusting than watching a 300 pound woman wearing tight clothes? *shudder*.

DeletedUser

Religious extremists, stereotypes, and haters. Seeing any of those make me want to break something. Don't be hating on the obese people. Some of them can't control it. And some of them are the greatest people in the world.

DeletedUser

Like i said in the reputaition I just took from you.

Look at yourself buddy, I bet my entire life savings that your fat yourself, Putting others down don't make ye look good, your just some little dang kid, who sets at home everyday of his lonely life, cussin and insulting others, because that's what they do to you in the real world, over-weight folks are perfectly fine, I know a man with cancer, 307Lbs. 82years old, sweatest man in the world, i've known him since I was a kid, been fighting cancer his whole life, still ain't dead still going strong, If there was anything I could do, to make his life better, for even the last hours of his life, I'd do it, even if it ment ending my own, that mans been through more then hell, and never complains a bit.

DeletedUser

I personally am a little fat, but I'm fairly active. This is just an example of how my diet and exercise affects me:

DIET
My mother tends to cook meals, so I don't eat fast food often.

EXERCISE
I do leg exercise every 2 or 4 days. I also have two Sheltie puppies, and I play with them by running with them.

FAT/MUSCLE POWER
Most of my fat is on my belly, about 1 inch wide. I'm weak in my arms, but only from lack of exercise using my arms and I can't run fast but I can run farther than most of my classmates (better stamina).

Also, in response to Toko, I agree that some people are sickeningly obese but most people in the USA (that I see) aren't obese and insulting people like that is wrong.

DeletedUser

toko. you have a lot of nerve to come out like that. you must be a fatist (hate fat people)
you are just as bad as people who say that a person can not hold an office because of his/her age (ageist)

and what do you think of the people with MOMO basicily born Fat

DeletedUser

Religious extremists, stereotypes, and haters. Seeing any of those make me want to break something. Don't be hating on the obese people. Some of them can't control it. And some of them are the greatest people in the world.

Well, if they are so great, why can't they keep their jaws closed??!! surely if they weren't so damn fat, they would live longer, thus allowing the world to enjoy more of their greatness? totally incosiderate of them!

Like i said in the reputaition I just took from you.

Look at yourself buddy, I bet my entire life savings that your fat yourself, Putting others down don't make ye look good, your just some little dang kid, who sets at home everyday of his lonely life, cussin and insulting others, because that's what they do to you in the real world, over-weight folks are perfectly fine, I know a man with cancer, 307Lbs. 82years old, sweatest man in the world, i've known him since I was a kid, been fighting cancer his whole life, still ain't dead still going strong, If there was anything I could do, to make his life better, for even the last hours of his life, I'd do it, even if it ment ending my own, that mans been through more then hell, and never complains a bit.

He's probably sweaty because he's fat;)

I personally am a little fat, but I'm fairly active. This is just an example of how my diet and exercise affects me:

DIET
My mother tends to cook meals, so I don't eat fast food often.

EXERCISE
I do leg exercise every 2 or 4 days. I also have two Sheltie puppies, and I play with them by running with them.

FAT/MUSCLE POWER
Most of my fat is on my belly, about 1 inch wide. I'm weak in my arms, but only from lack of exercise using my arms and I can't run fast but I can run farther than most of my classmates (better stamina).

Also, in response to Toko, I agree that some people are sickeningly obese but most people in the USA (that I see) aren't obese and insulting people like that is wrong.

Hey buddy, nobody's hating on people like you. We've all had a little too much fat at one point in our lifes. I'm talking being fat to the point that you can't do any kind of activity, can barely get up the stairts, etc. You're ok in my book;)

DeletedUser

One inch really ain't much, theres loads of folks who hate being the slightest bit fat and complain, thanks for not complaining.

But yet another example that over-weight folks are nice.

In middle school we had this chubby kid, FUNNY AS HELL! the kid was also amazeingly sweet.

DeletedUser11353

Luckily I don`t have any weight problems, I`m 180cm and 76kg, maybe I need to put a few more kilos on and that`s it
The highest proportion of obese men in Europe is Croatia with 31% of population and Albania has the most obese women at 36%, neither of which are particularly well blessed with cheap processed food outlets. According the W.H.O the most obese nations in the world are in the Western Pacific, again not the most "McDonalds" heavy countries.
Yup, a lot of people have weight problems here in Croatia but we do have a lot of fast foods as well, some are McDonalds and some not so big and know to you in rest of the world.

Basically we have all got lazy because of technological progress and mass production.
Main reason for it IMO

Croatia and Albania have very high unemployment so there is less requirement for activity.
Croatia has more retired people than employed. Do I need to say anything else?

DeletedUser

It's even more despairing to see an obese family with their 10 year old kids who already weigh in the 130 pounds area. This is basically neglect!