The vision of Brazil on other countrys

DeletedUser

Hey guys, I'm very curious to know what vision do you have from brazil. I know that before you travel to a country the midia flood your mind with things that are real and unreal about the country and when you arrive on the promissed land you got a big surprise. So I wish to know what your countrys says about my little country so I can do like a Myth Buster and tell what is true and what is not. Since Brazil is one of the most visited countrys in the world, maybe you wish to come here one day :p

I'll not take anything on an offensive way, just want to know what you see.

ps:This topic was not did for who alrdy came here.

DeletedUser

Fit girls playing beach volleyball in Rio. :)

Football-mad kids, jungle and lots of bioethanol production.

DeletedUser

Well girls playing veollyball you cna find everywhere in brazil. You can see girls surffing, walking, swimming or just standing on the beach :p

People here rly like football, it's not everybody but the most like. The kids are mad due the father influence and all the propaganda that brazil have to football.
We don't have nothing with jungle. Rly, only amazonic jungle, but the rest are all citys with a great number of people. Is rare to see a jungle far from amazonic one. And about the bioethanol, this is wrong in all ways you can think. We use alcoohol and gasoline. Bioethanol is not being used and never was, only with few exceptions.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Umm... dusty roads, lots of green stuff, Spanish people, coastal areas surrounded by green stuff, bananas plantations (seriously) and the flag.

Not exactly the promised land but that's the things that come to mind.

DeletedUser

Hey guys, I'm very curious to know what vision do you have from brazil.
Almost no vision at all. Jungles and beaches is what I think of when I think of Brazil.
I know that before you travel to a country the midia flood your mind with things that are real and unreal about the country and when you arrive on the promissed land you got a big surprise.
The media here doesn't flood anyone's mind about Brazil as a vacation destination. We might get the occasional commercial on tv advertising one of the States or a tropical island vacation spot.
Since Brazil is one of the most visited countrys in the world.
It's not really, you know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism

DeletedUser

I told that was one of the most, ok it maybe is not a top10, but Brazil is always a big tourist recipient. Sometimes is hard to distinguiche who is from here and who is not.

Jungles and beaches?

São Paulo: http://api.ning.com/files/58BTe0Y6j...bqVYbT0jdHZ6e93Otsa73fmtWJd-/SaoPaulo_jpg.jpg

Rio de Janeiro: http://www.shoppinguolviagens.com.b...ereo/cidades/img_capitais/Rio_de_Janeiro2.jpg

Belo Horizonte: http://www.destination360.com/south-america/brazil/images/st/belo-horizonte.jpg

Curitiba: http://gnomawarrior.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/curitiba1.jpg

Just some of the most important citys in brazil

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

oh and street gangs and gun crime in the horrendous slums (what was that film? City of God or something).

and Skull, ethanol is alcohol and your cars DO run on it! This is an article on the BBC website.

Brazil's carmakers sold more vehicles adapted to run on alcohol last year than conventional petrol-driven models, motor industry figures show. "Flex-fuel" cars, which run on any combination of ethanol and petrol, took 53.6% of the Brazilian market in 2005.
Brazil has made ethanol-driven cars for 25 years, but they have not outsold conventional ones since the late 1980s.
Brazil produced a record 2.4 million vehicles last year, 1.7 million of them for the domestic market.
In all, 866,267 flex-fuel cars were sold in Brazil in 2005 against just 328,379 the year before, the Brazilian motor manufacturers' association Anfavea said.
Return of ethanol
Brazil began its Pro-Alcohol programme more than 20 years ago to promote the use of ethanol, derived from sugar-cane, as an alternative fuel for cars.
At the time, Brazil had a military government, which wanted to reduce the country's dependence on imported Middle Eastern petroleum after the 1970s oil shocks.
The idea fell out of favour in the 1990s after sugar prices rose and the price of oil fell, while Brazil's state oil company Petrobras discovered new offshore oilfields which reduced the need for imports.
But in 2003, a new generation of cars capable of running on alcohol entered production, thanks to a combination of new technology and tax breaks.
"Flex-fuel" cars attract a purchase tax of 14%, while buyers of their exclusively petrol-powered counterparts are charged 16%.

DeletedUser

Hum, I thougt that it was a bio combustible. Sorry for that, my mistake.

Well the most of cars here use flex-fuel to use gasoline and alcohol ;S
Since the price for combustible here hurty our pockets is good to have 2 options.

About the violence, I was waiting for someone ask about it.

Brazil is like EVERYWHERE. There are places where you cannot go at night(even at mornning) and I'm sure that in USA, Italy, France, England and all other coutrys there are some places dangerous. Rio de Janeiro is the most dangerous city from Brazil in my opinion. I never want to go there again. Where I live (Belo Horizonte) I never was Robbed. It's just stay on the good party of the city. You need to go to the poor party, if you do it using a gold necklance of course they will kill you to get your things. Everything is matter of information. Don't go to places that you will not be welcome and I belive that everywhere is like this.

DeletedUser

Most fights I had in a week. Prostitution is rampant, streets are dirty, beaches are clean, except after a rain, in which case many of the beaches smell (sewage runoff from the slums - hillsides). The contrast of modern living and slums is actually one of the worst in the world. Your belief that such things exist everywhere is incorrect. Brazil has a problem of gross social casting, and which it makes no effort to address. Pardos/morenos are treated poorly for the most part, denied jobs and are more prone to being adopted into gangs and instituted into the sex trade.

There are some beautiful places in Brazil, but only if you don't turn around and see the whole picture. Also, the mass deforestation of the Amazon has caused massive runoff into the Rio de la Plata, lasting over 30 years now.

rio-de-la-plata.jpg

A population explosion, expansion, and greed has dramatically changed Brazil over the past 50 years.

Don't get me wrong, I love Brazilians for the most part. Beautiful, friendly, open, albeit a bit reserved. But the nation as a whole is in trouble, and the people suffer for it. In fact, the world suffers for it.

DeletedUser

Don't think in this way hellstrom. You are inteligent but don't see Brazil on the worst possible way. It's the same to look to USA and see only fat people walking around, a poor health plan, anti-social people who spend all his life at home or working, and a the country of bad people who are hipocrits who talk about peace and bring war on everywhere. This is a vision that is not true, see only bad thing on a country is not good.

Brazil have 1000 social problems. There are bums on the streets, the most "popular" beaches to the stranger are dirty and we surely have violence.

But we have many good points. You say that there are racism here? This is crap(if you forgive my language). How can we have racism in a country with this level of racial mix? This is very wrong. Is so common to see people from all possible skin color that have racism here is the same to sign your death sentece. It's a illusion, of course the racism exist, everywhere it exist, but you put a point about it on brazil is very unfair, and It rly make me doubt that you rly know Brazil. You talked about prostitucion, this don't make to much sense to me, but I cannot give you a place to compar since I never saw this as a huge fact here.

DeletedUser

It's a illusion, of course the racism exist, everywhere it exist, but you put a point about it on brazil is very unfair, and It rly make me doubt that you rly know Brazil. You talked about prostitucion, this don't make to much sense to me, but I cannot give you a place to compar since I never saw this as a huge fact here.

Skull, we ARE talking about Brazil so no wonder Hellstromm brought it up. And anyway, YOU ASKED for our opinions! ;)

DeletedUser

Humm, errrr, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh? What I said wrong? I accept what he said. I just posted what is the real about that o_O

DeletedUser

Of course Brazil have problems, but most of them are aggravated by OTHER countries.

Prostitution, for example, is present here, and we like "export" prostitutes, NOT because the girls want, but because they are fooled to do so. Some Europeans, Americans, Brazilians, of course, etc. come here, search for low-class girls, and promise them that they could be models on other countries. Note that we are talking about LOW-CLASS girls, they are "fool", think that they will have a chance to become rich as a MODEL(Like Gisele Bündchen) and so they get convinced by them to go to Europe or US. Once there, they realize that all was a lie, and the real objective was to turn them into prostitutes. Then there's no return, they are frightened by those who took them there, and they can die, or they can become prostitutes.

About racism, I will not say it's present in Brazil. There are a few people who still have this "mental block", but younger people already have a good mind, and this doesn't occur. In Brazil there is, and I won't lie, segregation relationated to the social class. Racism is KKK, Nazism, Neo-Nazism, and what happens in Japan, where the people don't like immigrants. Here, some rich people don't like poor people, and some poor people don't like rich people. That's all.

Amazon... Well, the biggest problem is the deforestation, and most of it is made by Brazilians, but the Bio-Piratery can't be forgetted. There are many indian tribes, isolated in the forest, that can't speak Portuguese. But a big part of them speak English. The Amazon has the greatest biodiversity in the world, and some foreigners come here to discover plants WITHOUT the government permission, and use them to make chemicals, cosmetics, medicinal drugs, etc.

My opinion: the problem for Brazil was the bad colonization. After that, we've never recovered all that was lost. None of the portuguese colonies has developed well, after all, and Portugal is one of the less developed countries on Ocidental Europe. "The gold that raised palaces in Portugal, has financed the Industrial Revolution on England". This explains all.

Nothing against Americans, Europeans, and etc. I know that this all happens because of a large passivity of the Brazilian Government. :sad:

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Brazil is like EVERYWHERE. There are places where you cannot go at night(even at mornning) and I'm sure that in USA, Italy, France, England and all other coutrys there are some places dangerous. Rio de Janeiro is the most dangerous city from Brazil in my opinion. I never want to go there again. Where I live (Belo Horizonte) I never was Robbed. It's just stay on the good party of the city. You need to go to the poor party, if you do it using a gold necklance of course they will kill you to get your things. Everything is matter of information. Don't go to places that you will not be welcome and I belive that everywhere is like this.

You should be able to go anywhere on the street, there's some risk of crime everywhere but no where should be out of bounds unless you're unusually vulnerable. Not everywhere is like that, you have a false impression of the rest of the world, properly because you have limited experience outside of that particular environment. Wearing a gold chain is not asking for it in the UK, you certainly wont be killed for it.

Most Brits don't consider taking a holiday in Brazil, the mainland that is. You've made it sound a lot less appealing by saying it's the norm to kill people for crappy gold necklaces in the rough areas :p I intend to go to the rainforest sometime though.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Jax where are you from?

Everything you spoke is true. I had forgot about the human traffic, in Belo Horizonte it's not common. Here we have no beach, and the turists are "rare" compared to Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.

One thing you need to understand Jax is that Brazil is an young country. The population don't care. We know what the government does, but we simple don't make nothing. I don't make nothing. I rly don't care about this all, cause I know that the young of 3 or 4 next generations will have a good will to try to take the control of the situation. All our problems with government are just happing due the lack of will to change this. The young will have more informartion and will be the first car of a revolution on this country, but this will take a long time :]

You should be able to go anywhere on the street, there's some risk of crime everywhere but no where should be out of bounds unless you're unusually vulnerable. Not everywhere is like that, you have a false impression of the rest of the world, properly because you have limited experience outside of that particular environment. Wearing a gold chain is not asking for it in the UK, you certainly wont be killed for it.

Most Brits don't consider taking a holiday in Brazil, the mainland that is.

I cannot argument with this. I rly don't have so much experience outside, but as I said, this is what I belive and I'm gladly that you told me this. All my information about the outside is taking from talks with foreign people and some with the midia(but I don't belive to much on what midia says, nothing is better than talking with someone who rly knows the reality).

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Amazon... Well, the biggest problem is the deforestation, and most of it is made by Brazilians, but the Bio-Piratery can't be forgetted. There are many indian tribes, isolated in the forest, that can't speak Portuguese. But a big part of them speak English. The Amazon has the greatest biodiversity in the world, and some foreigners come here to discover plants WITHOUT the government permission, and use them to make chemicals, cosmetics, medicinal drugs, etc.

What languages do they speak, do they speak common languages or would you need a special translator to communicate?

I like it better when the tribes come and visit us instead of the other way around, I know it benefits them a lot more than it would us, I still wonder if our books get wet in the rainforest though lol (someone must have thought of that).

DeletedUser

What languages do they speak, do they speak common languages or would you need a special translator to communicate?

I like it better when the tribes come and visit us instead of the other way around, I know it benefits them a lot more than it would us, I still wonder if our books get wet in the rainforest though lol (someone must have thought of that).

No, the tribes I'm speaking are REALLY isolated tribes, deep into the Amazon. Supposelly, they've never had ANY contact with the civilization, so they should ONLY know native languages. But what happens is that foreign people(from other countries), come here and penetrate the forest, searching for these tribes. Like a religious mission, I don't know if you have this idea there where you live. They gain confiance, teach the language they speak (English, French, etc) and then the tribe reveals their millenar medicinal uses of the plants. Then they go away. When some Brazilian people discovers this tribes, that, I repeat, supposelly are fully native, they knows how to speak civilizated languages, what only proves that they were used to the Bio-Piratery. Of course, there are some foreigners who actually wants to help the indians, but it's nothing compared with the ones who wants to use them.

DeletedUser

Brazil, I guess the image thats sold here is like the film City of God, but with football and beautiful carnival dancers.

As a football fan, and as one of my personal footballing icons was a Brazilian, Juninho who played in the UK, I've understand that life for a lot of people in Brazil isn't great, but that could be said of where I come from.

I'd love to go treking through the jungle though... it'd be fantastic