The Final Coliseum: Victory, Death, or Humilation

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

DeletedUser13682

The party was going extremely well. There was a bit of a scare earlier, when Taranis arrived without Laura, but she popped up a few moments later, and all was well again. The word had spread like wildfire, and there were dozens of people in and around Ferruccio’s cell. Some people had even gone to other nearby cells. Some people had brought in instruments, and were playing songs in one of the corners. Mostly music from the Northern regions of Ferruccio’s continent, but he heard a few pieces from his region, and quite a few he didn’t recognize. The food was being cooked by several people, and Ferruccio had just finished making a pasta dish with alfredo sauce, tomatoes, various vegetables, and ciabatta bread with an olive oil and herb dip. Ferruccio set aside a large plate for Argent, no meat, yet still very delicious.

Heading out of the bath room converted to kitchen, with the rest of the pasta, Ferruccio greeted those who said hi to him, and set the pasta down on the table, next to the roasted deer. He grabbed a cup, and poured some of the liquid Taranis and Laura had brought, and took a sip. It definitely was stronger than the wine he had taken from the cantina. Tasted like the alcohol popular in the Theodisce regions. Not bad, but Ferruccio preferred his wine, more flavour to it, and not so overpowering, but it can still get a guy drunk off his rear.

Looking at the party from the door, Ferruccio saw that everybody here was having fun, enjoying the night, and allowing themselves to forget that they were all prisoners here. The next cell over somebody had cleared the main room and gotten some dancing going. You could see various styles from all over the world. There was formal, tribal, rural, urban, all mixing together, forming an entirely new dance form. You could hear the sounds of people enjoying new found companions in other nearby cells. Now that he thought about it, this party wasn’t totally unlike that which had happened for the 500th anniversary of Ferruccio’s home town, Castrum Villari of Calavira, though on a smaller scale and very mixed populations.

Heading back into his cell, Ferruccio saw Taranis and a couple other Cruithni laughing it up in their language. “Glad to see you’re enjoying yourself, Taranis,” Ferruccio yelled out to him. Looking around a bit more, Ferruccio saw Frank. He walked over to Frank, and clapped him on the back. “Wonderful deer Frank. Tastes great! You’ll have to tell me what you put into the marinade. Here, have some Theodisce Water.” Ferruccio handed Frank his glass of alcohol, and went off into the crowd again. He grabbed a bottle of wine from the drink table, and took a long drink from it. Not the best wine in existence, but it wasn’t bad either.

Floating around the crowd some more, greeting the various people he ran into, Ferruccio found Laura standing in a corner, nursing a glass of liquids, and looking a bit forlorn. He walked over to her with a large smile. “Glad you made it Laura. We were worried about you,” Ferruccio said. He looked into her cup and saw there was water in it. “You’re at a party! Here, have some wine!” Ferruccio put the bottle into Laura’s hand, he had no idea of her earlier experience with alcohol. “Why are you looking so sad? We’re at a party! Be glad! You know how to dance? There are quite a few people making a new dance form in the next cell over. It’s really quite interesting. I might join here in a bit. Want to come over with me?”

DeletedUser31931

Frank finished roasting the deer on the spit and the chickens on the heating table as well. He used some water to cook the Broccoli and the other vegetables. When they were done he served them all up, it was a marinade he had taken a long time to perfect involving several spices. It was better with more time but he'd done what he could. He served it all up and enjoyed the expressions on peoples faces as they eat. He liked it when people got enjoyment out of his food. He spotted Argent and slipped over to him. "There's some raw lettuce and some broccoli and cabbage over there. As well as a few beans maybe." He said to Argent, having guessed that the monk was a vegetarian by the way that he avoided even looking at the deer. Then he saw Ferruccio head across the room and he heard Ferruccio congratulate him on the deer. "Secret recipe mate. Get's better with time though." Frank replied. "Congratulations on holding such a good party though." and he slipped off, grabbed a thing of beer and opened it and drained it all in one go. Throwing the can into the bottle he grabbed another can and drank again. And repeat. He'd done his cooking, now he was going to enjoy himself.

Deleted User - 819397

Laura couldn't help smiling when Ferruccio came over. His obvious excitement about the party, coupled with his already somewhat flamboyant nature, made for a truly energetic figure. He mentioned that he had been worried when Taranis showed up without her, and her smile flickered for a moment. She considered telling him what exactly had transpired, but then Taranis' voice flickered in her head;

"Get rid of him or I will kill him here and now...the choice is yours"

Taranis wouldn't think twice about killing Ferruccio, despite the fact that doing so would incur the wrath of the wardens. She couldn't get him involved...she had just come to this decision when Ferruccio put a bottle of wine in her hand, claiming that at such a party she should drink something other than water. Laura's first instinct was to throw the bottle away, then remembered that Ferruccio didn't know about the mishap with the stronger alcohol. "No thanks, I don't drink, remember?" she smiled slightly awkwardly, handing the bottle back.

Ferruccio then mentioned something about dancing, then essentially asked her to dance with him. "Well, I didn't go to many parties like this back home, but I think I'm an ok dancer..." she started slowly, trying to figure out if she felt like dancing. It would be nice to do something that was fun for once, seeing as this place lacked that for the most part...and if she wasn't in the same room as Taranis, he couldn't do anything. Two birds with one stone. Smiling more naturally, she nodded. "I think I'll join you in your endeavor. Let me know when you're ready, ok?"

DeletedUser13682

Laura handed the bottle back to Ferruccio, claiming she didn’t drink. “Oh well. Let’s see. I think I had my first drink of alcohol when I was about five or six. A bottle of red, it was. Tasted alright, but the flavours grow on you. If you do try alcohol, I suggest the wine. It’s not very harsh, and doesn’t have as much alcohol as the bottles the Cruithni brought with him. Stay away from those, it could make a person very, very drunk with just a quarter bottle, especially somebody who hasn’t had alcohol before.”

After taking a few gulps from the bottle, Ferruccio spoke again. “There would be parties like this almost every night throughout Calavira. The people there love having fun. Sometimes, entire cities would be lit up like day if there was an important festival, which happened nearly every day in some city or other. Just a week before I was taken, Castrum Villari, my city, celebrated the annual festival of light. I think for a few days, she was brighter at night than at day. One of the most beautiful sights in the world is to see Castrum Villari over the ridge of Monte Casinum at night during the festival of light. Maybe I’ll see it again.” Another few gulps from the bottle, then, “Come, I’ll show you some dances of my kingdom, and others around it. My favourite is the Pizzica. Very fun dance. Come on.” Ferruccio offered out his hand, ready to lead Laura into the dancing room. “What do you have for entertainment, where you’re from? I know not every place has parties like Appenninica.”

Deleted User - 819397

Laura was glad to know that the alcohol Taranis had forced her to drink was stronger than most liquor, but still was hesitant to try anything else. She couldn't help but smile again as Ferruccio told her about his home...it seemed that many of his people were flamboyant like he was. He then held out his hand, and it took Laura a second to realize what his intentions were. She'd been mostly ignored by boys back home (although a large part of that was her fault, she had to admit) and this was something she hadn't experienced before. Once she realized what was happening though, she took his hand, equal parts excited and nervous about dancing...she knew a little bit about it, but hadn't had much cause to practice...she hoped she'd at least be passable.

Ferruccio inquired as to what Laura's people did for fun. "Well, in order to explain that, I have to tell you a bit about the history of my city. Baticul, about a week's caravan journey from here, is known as the City of Light. It's quite unique in the sense that it's built on a mountain. The higher you go, the richer the buildings and lifestyle. The very top though, is nothing but ruins...Baticul used to be the Royal City of Light...before The Overlord took over, one of the kings lived there...it's said that the castle could be seen from miles off, and it was huge...no one has ever built anything where the castle used to be, to keep a testament to the past. I lived about halfway up the mountain...not rich, but not poor either...entertainment-wise...to be perfectly honest, I don't know what most people do...my father is a librarian, so I had my nose in a book most of the time, or helping around the library. About the only true activity I had was jogging...I didn't have a ton of friends...didn't think I needed them, with all my books...now though, I don't know any more..." She trailed off, looking conflicted.

DeletedUser13682

Ferruccio led Laura to the cell next door, while she was explaining her life. A city on a mountain, arranged by prosperity levels, with a ruined castle on top of it. Ferruccio had heard of it before, in passing, but never travelled to Baticul. Hearing how Laura lived made Ferruccio think about his own life. “I have some similar experiences. We have a beautiful library, filled with books and folios and scrolls of all sorts. I would spend much time in there, reading about various subjects, like the new advancements in technology, histories, tales and myths. I also spent much time with tutors, learning the various things needed in life, languages, literature, sciences, engineering, mathematics. I had some of the harshest tutors in the peninsula, but I learned well, and it’s still with me. I also designed carts and carriages. I was in the middle of designing a carriage with a new way to absorb bumps using a torsion bar suspension. But my two favourite joys were socializing and running.

“I’ll be honest, I knew a lot of people, I spent lots of time with them, going to parties, attending plays and concerts, dreaming up new ideas, travelling the countryside. Those were great times. But, I also ran. You’d think I would travel by cart everywhere, but I find running a better way, much more healthy, and you get to experience the air more. I nearly won the first Piedmonti 20mi, but was barely overtaken by a runner from Borgo San Dalmazzo.” They had arrived in the cell with the dancing. The music was a ballad from the island of Albion, and the dancing right now resembled Albion Country Dancing, with waltzes thrown in from various places, and a bit of Cruithni tribal dancing. “I’ll show you the Pizzica. It’s not that hard a dance.” Ferruccio started dancing, very slow, and one move at a time, to demonstrate to Laura how it went. “See? Not so hard at all. Now you try. Just the first move or two.”

DeletedUser28032

Lost in conversation with his new friends it took Taranis several moments to realise that Laura hadn't come over to join them as he'd invited her to do so, which in itself didn't bother him in the slightest after all he could always catch up with her later if he so desired also he was currently enjoying the company of the beautiful Shae which more than made up for it.
Slightly taller than Laura and with slim physique, Shae had long copper coloured hair intricately woven into a French braid and deep green eyes. The tight fitting leggings and halter top displaying the swirling blue tattoos of her Sais heritage on both her arms and her face though unlike Taranis' which were dark blue going on black, Shae's had been done in a much paler shade of blue.
It was as he was admiring the intricate swirls on her face that he noticed Laura speaking with wagon maker, a deep and burning resentment suddenly welling up inside of him as his eyes attempted to burn there way through the mans head Why are you being like this? She’s not your woman or your blood let her be. But he knew he wouldn't even as the questioning look came upon Shae's face having noticed the burning hatred in his eyes "Taranis...What’s the matter is there something going on between you and that girl?"
"No"
"Then why are you glaring daggers at that guy?"
"Because she's mine!"
Struck by the sheer intensity of his voice Shae felt momentarily afraid of this man as he claimed ownership over the small blonde girl, a small wave of dread washing over her as she was struck by the sudden revelation "Oh gods Taranis...your clan doesn't practice that silly tradition still do they? this isn't a battlefield it doesn't count!" she spoke frantically, pulling the sleeve of his shirt in a vain attempt to draw his attention away from them and distract him from this foolish course only to watch him rise to his feet and storm after the two of them "No Taranis please...Leave them be!" she pleads before rushing after him into the next room, the sound of music all around them as people danced with one another in a near bizarre medley of styles.
Weaving his way through the throngs of people it takes several moments for Taranis to finally find the pair of them; the wagon maker appearing to be teaching her how to dance, an evil smile spreading across his face so they want to dance do they?
Clapping his hands Taranis approaches the pair of them with a friendly smile on his face "you dance well girl, allow me to introduce a new friend of mine...this is Shae" he says pointing to the stunned Sais woman, the sudden and unexpected introduction catching her off guard as she stumbles through her own greeting to the pair of them as she started to wonder what Taranis' game was.
"Shae and I were about to partake in the finger dance perhaps you would like to join us?"

Deleted User - 819397

Laura did her best to keep up with the flood of information Ferruccio gave her about his lifestyle and home, not wanting to offend him by forgetting later. He was one of two people she considered a friend here, and knew she couldn't afford to alienate either of them. The fact that he jogged too was interesting...she wasn't sure she'd feel safe going at it alone in the twisting corridors, but maybe with another person it'd be better.

Ferruccio began to teach her a dance he called the Pizzica, going through the motions slowly for her benefit. When invited to try it herself, she focused for a moment, then mimicked his movements, stumbling slightly once, but overall doing ok...or at least she thought so. She was just about to ask Ferruccio if she was at least getting the basics of it when Taranis showed up again. Laura's smile faltered for a moment before she forced it back up...couldn't he leave her alone for a moment? All she'd wanted was a few moments of relaxed fun...that was gone now.

Taranis introduced his Sais friend, Shae, who seemed surprised for some reason. Before Laura could wonder what that could mean, her tormentor announced the two of them were planning on doing something called "The Finger Dance." Hoping it'd get her out of whatever it was, she shrugged, muttering, "I don't recognize the name...do you, Ferruccio?" She knew it wasn't a great defense, seeing as she didn't know much about the Pizzica either, but it was all she had.

DeletedUser13682

After Ferruccio had shown Laura the first steps of the Pizzica, she had tried it. Watching her movements, Ferruccio saw that she wasn’t bad. She caught on quickly, and with a few more practice tries, would be nearly as good as a native. With only a week’s worth of practice, Ferruccio felt that Laura could seamlessly join any festival, and be mistaken for a native Appenninica. Just as Ferruccio was about to say this, and teach her the next part of the Pizzica, Taranis shows up, towing along another Cruithni, a girl named Shae.

“Good evening, Taranis. Good evening Shae. I’m Ferruccio Fernado, and this is my friend, Laura.” Taranis was planning something, thought Ferruccio. Something to torment Laura again, probably. Taranis stated he was going to perform a finger dance with Shae, and invited them to join. Laura had no clue what a finger dance was, so she asked Ferruccio. “There are a couple terms that I know of, that might be what Taranis is talking about,” Ferruccio said to Laura. “I’m afraid I don’t know for certain.” To Taranis, “Thanks for the offer, but Laura is learning the Pizzica right now. It’s bad form to interrupt somebody in the middle of lessons. Maybe we’ll join you later.”

DeletedUser28032

Taranis couldn't help but smile at the expected ignorance displayed by the two city dwellers and although Shae probably knew of what he spoke of he hoped she wouldn't give the game away or at least not until he'd gotten them to agree.
"Apologies friend...the customs and manners of the cities are not known to me, I am merely a simple tribal from the north" he replied to Ferruccio's comment over him interrupting him and Laura "Fair enough my friend not everyone has the agility or the stones required for the finger dance come Shae lets leave these girls to their dancing" he said in a friendly manner almost as if his comments were meant as a light hearted joke.
A look of relief came to Shae's face as it appeared that Taranis' little game hadn't worked, hoping that he would let it drop so that they could enjoy themselves once more even if it meant doing the finger dance herself.

DeletedUser13682

Interesting, this Taranis was. He was acting almost exactly like an Albion public school bully. By the way Taranis acted, Ferruccio could guess that the finger dance was a dangerous thing, that could involve serious maiming or death, and all Taranis really wanted to do was justify hurting Ferruccio and/or torturing Laura some more, even if it meant dragging an unwilling other person into it. There were two ways Ferruccio could handle this. Either give in to Taranis, or play his game, and hope he could win. Strategy number two was the one Ferruccio chose. It seemed the better course, and, it helped if you knew archaic terms. “I’m afraid you’re right, Taranis. I have no stones with me right now, and my reflexes have been dulled by years of lazy city life. I don’t think I’d be able to last half a day in your tribe. This knave girl is just not cut out for the tribe life. You and your gay girl go enjoy yourselves with your rigourous dance. We might watch later, just to get a glimpse of a feel for the demanding pleasure activities the tribals partake in.”

DeletedUser

Argent slipped through the crowded corridors of the cell block being careful not to upset or bump into anyone, both wishing not to offend any of these men and also not wishing anything to send the knife stuck into his waist band point-first into his stomach. He glided among the celebrants and party goers without a word spoken or returned to him, just a ghost among them, silent and thoughtful.

Finally the crowd thinned and altogether died before the turn that would take him into his cell. The monk slipped into his prison cell, sliding the bar open and entering without even a sound. Just on the other side of the portal, he let his eyes search the room for a decent place to hide his new prize, as he slipped the knife from his waistband and held it at his side. He tapped the knife against the of his leg as he thought.

It came to him in a flash and Argent dropped to his hands and knees, skittering over to the hard cot he slept on each night. Rolling onto his back, Argent lifted just the corner of the mattress and slid the contraband inside his mattress by stabbing through the seam and shoving the blade inside.

Standing and nodding to himself, Argent left his room and made his way to the party. Argent wasn't much on parties, actually. The loud noises of music, drunken chanting and the occasional moan escaping from adjacent cells all added up to create a cacophony that tried its best to rob him of his center. Argent took the man's words and filled a plate with as many vegetables as he could and settled down into a seat to enjoy the first meal he'd had in quite awhile.

The monk spoke not a word as he sat and crunched on his meal, but tried his best to drown out the sounds around him. Argent was there to eat. If this had just been Ferruccio, Laura and the tribesman it would not have been this bad, but as it was Argent had to work hard to hold a single thought in his head, trying to recharge before the next day of carnage and bloodletting.

DeletedUser28032

A seething rage bubbled up within him as Ferruccio not only refused to take the bait but proceeded to insult him in the process or at least that was how Taranis perceived it "You pompous, condescending ass!" Taranis snarls as what few vestiges of control he had over his temper began to rapidly disintegrate as stepped uncomfortably close to Laura and Ferruccio "..You dare think yourself superior to me just because you come from the cities? you're right you are soft and we would rip you limb from limb" Taranis continued to snarl and growl as the damn finally burst, eyes ablaze with unchecked fury and hands bunching into fists "I am not waiting for the arena I am going to kill you now" it was as he was drawing back his fist to lash out that Laura and Ferruccio who were the only people close enough witnessed the sudden change upon Taranis' face as his bright green eyes suddenly turned a muddy red. The eyes however were only the beginning as his teeth appeared to grow longer and sharper and had his face taken on a more bestial appearance?
The first blow to land however was delivered by Shae as she delivered an open handed slap to his face and whatever changes that the others had or thought they had seen were gone "No, Stop it Taranis!" her voice more like that of his mother than a friend, a look of shocked anger on the Sais mans face as he turned to face her, his hands flexing into fists once more as if he intended to vent his anger upon a different target.
Bursting into laughter Taranis speaks a few words in his native tongue causing Shae to join him, laughing at some private joke no doubt at the others expense.
"Enjoy you're dancing" Taranis says quietly before casually walking away like his threats to kill them had never occurred. Quickly mouthing the word sorry to Laura, Shae then goes off to join Taranis linking her arm with his as they disappear in amongst the crowds of people of which only a handful had witnessed the potential fight and fewer still seeming to care after all there was a fight at all good parties.

Deleted User - 819397

Laura watched the vocal battle between Taranis and Ferruccio with growing trepidation, and jumped when Taranis finally snapped, claiming he was going to kill Ferruccio now and hang the consequences. What happened next, though, was almost as shocking as the man with the bloody eye had been; Taranis' eyes drastically changed color, his teeth began to grow, and his face began to change as well. Shae then slapped him, causing the change to instantly reverse, but the image was still there. As her tormentor stalked off, Shae mouthing an apology, Laura turned to Ferruccio and in a shaky voice stuttered, "T-that was...what...did you see that too? What is he?" She inwardly cursed her fortune, that someone who was determined to make her life miserable was some sort of monster in human skin...how was she going to get away from him?

DeletedUser13682

Apparently, Taranis didn’t understand that Ferruccio was just trying to avoid conflict with some lighthearted self insults. Instead of shrgging it off as a loss, Taranis decided that the arena wasn’t soon enough for a kill, and decided to end Ferruccio now. As Taranis was winding up for a punch, he seemed to grow more beastial, his eyes turned red, and his teeth grew longer. Just as Ferruccio thought he would have to fight back, use his power against Taranis, Shae stepped in, and slapped Taranis back to sanity.

Taranis decided to pretend that none of that had happened, even as the red hand mark faded into view amongst the blue swirls on his face, and bid Ferruccio and Laura happy dancing, as he walked off with Shae. Laura, who was visibly shaken by the experience, turned to Ferruccio and asked him what Taranis was. Ferruccio himself was worried by this new development, but he steeled himself against the fear, and responded to Laura. “I believe we may have seen a vampire come out of hiding. Thinking back on what I know about the world, what we saw best fits descriptions of vampires. Not to worry, though. We shall try to stay away from him, unless if we must face him. I feel it is best to put that experience behind us and carry on with more enjoyable activities, like dancing. Do you agree?”

Deleted User - 819397

Laura wasn't sure about Ferruccio's thought that Taranis was a vampire, but seeing as she didn't have any better suggestions she held her peace. When the suggestion to return to dancing came, she nodded. "Yeah...it'll help get our minds off that as well as everything else," she muttered. She went through the motions that Ferruccio had shown her again to convince herself she had learned them, then asked, "Is there anything else to add to the Pizzica?"

DeletedUser28032

Pushing aside the thought the fact that Taranis had only been seconds away from attacking the man Shae found herself once again enjoying his company, albeit without any further drinking, the bottle of spirits they had been enjoying long since gone.
Yet despite having narrowly averted the incident, Shae couldn't help but feel slightly concerned for the girl, she'd seen the look of terror on her face as Taranis had begun to shout at the pair of them and although he held no grudge against her for striking him and in fact had found it rather amusing she feared for the girls well being.
As the hour drew nearer to that of the curfew the crowds began to thin out as those most effected by drink staggered back to their cells hoping to avoid the inevitable hangover the next morning. Being one of the last to leave Shae bid Taranis a good night as he unsteadily made his way back to his cell using the excuse of a headache so as not to join him though in truth she'd barely touched the potent liquor and so would be spared he worst of its effects the following morning.
Waiting until Taranis had turned the corner and was out of sight Shae slipped into the shadows and began waiting for the girl to make an appearance knowing that if she didn't warn her about Taranis' intentions then she would never forgive herself, how she dealt with the rather volatile warrior after that would be up to her but Shaes conscience at least would be clear.

DeletedUser13682

With the decision to continue dancing, and put that event with Taranis behind, the party started to get its charm back. Laura danced what Ferruccio had taught her again, to make sure she had gotten it down right, then asked if there was more to add. “Well, technically speaking, there is a lot more to add. To be honest, I don’t think there are many people who know the entire thing. But what you know now is basically the dance. We can add more later, but we basically repeat that set of moves for most of the dance.”

By that time, the crowd in the dance cell had begun to thin out. A look at the clock in the corner showed that curfew was fast approaching, a little over one half hour remained. “We better hurry if we want to get any dancing in. Curfew is in a half hour.” Then Ferruccio realized that Laura might run into Taranis on her way back to her cell. “You want me to escort you when you head back? In case Taranis pops up again, I think it’d be better if there were two people to stand up to him. He’s like an Albion school age bully. He doesn’t do too well if the numbers are against him.”

Deleted User - 819397

Laura was touched that Ferruccio was willing to ensure her safety on the way back to her cell, but she was also worried that a drunk Taranis would be even more likely to kill Ferruccio without a second thought than a sober one. "Thank you for offering, but I have a feeling he's so drunk now he won't be able to function...he wasn't exactly sober when he came over before, and I have a feeling he had even more afterwards. If anything Shae would have to carry him to his cell, I bet. I'll be ok...thanks for offering though!"

Several minutes later, she knew that she'd miss curfew if she didn't leave. Thanking Ferruccio for his time, she began to make her way back to her own cell. Despite her assurances to Ferruccio, she was still somewhat nervous that Taranis still might try something, so she decided to walk relatively quickly, so as to make it with several minutes to spare...she knew that the quickest route back to her cell took her by Taranis' place, but any other way wouldn't get her there in time, so she had to go that way, no matter the danger.

DeletedUser28032

Shae watched as the blonde haired girl darted down the corridor with a look of anxiety on her face no doubt worried that Taranis would make a sudden appearance in order to exact his vengeance for her friends actions back at the party, though Shae knew for a fact that Taranis would be safely passed out by now, despite his boasts the drink had hit him worse than he'd expected it to.
Following the girl with the swiftness and silence of the hunter that she had once been, a skill she'd had to use regularly since her capture... What was it two years ago? She kept pace with the girl not wanting her to discover that she was being followed and making things even more awkward than they would be already.
Waiting a few moments until Laura was safely within her cell; Shae stepped quietly into the doorway checking over both of her shoulders that she was alone before speaking "Its Laura right? Can we have a word? Just that I think there are some things you should know about Taranis"