The Final Coliseum: Victory, Death, or Humilation

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

DeletedUser28032

"No you misunderstand friend...you dance with the ghosts of the glorious dead in order to send them on their way to the next life and appease those that refuse to go" Taranis explained almost cheerfully. It was just as he was about to comment on the feast that he saw the figure gliding down the corridor towards them, at first he thought it was just another gladiator and then he watched with mounting horror as blood began to flow from the creatures eyes as it spoke of the dead. Clutching the pendant about his neck tightly he mutters something rapidly beneath his breath in a foreign tongue his other hand unconsciously squeezing Laura's arm as his eyes followed its progress Is this some spectre of my on coming death? he thought to himself before hearing Argent ask if anyone had seen it also "Yes brother I saw it...we should be away from this place it is a grim omen indeed to see a spectre such as that" suddenly realising that he was squeezing Laura's arm far more tightly than he had ever intended to do he releases his grip altogether absently muttering an apology as his eyes search past the newcomer for any sign of the creature that had been with them only a short while ago.
Deciding that he had lingered here long enough Taranis starts walking towards the dining hall "Come friends I am in need of a drink...that was as close to the dead as i ever want to get"

Deleted User - 819397

Laura shook feeling back into her arm as Taranis, unconsciously or not, let go of her. Unfortunately, it was at that moment that Ferruccio put his arm around her shoulders, so she still couldn't find a way to get away from her tormentor. Ferruccio and Taranis seemed convinced that the man had been a ghost of some sort, but she wasn't sure...it could be that whatever his power was, it involved his own blood...that he was just psyching them out. Thinking of powers brought back her loathing of the ability deep inside her. If she could just control it...then she wouldn't have had to kill Randall...then maybe some of the gang members would have been able to run, rather than have them be all cut down...Knowing that the power was going to consume her at some point made her dread the future fights she knew were coming...she had no desire to kill again, but she wouldn't have a choice if the decision to surrender came too late.

Lost in thought like this, she wasn't aware of what was happening around her, allowing Ferruccio to guide her without reacting to anything...

DeletedUser13682

“Right, let’s put that rude man, and the devil man behind us, and get this feast started. We’ll have to spread the word around, so I’ll need a few people to do that. I’ll also need someone who can cook to help me with the food. And I’ll need somebody or two to get ingredients, materials, and flames. We can use the bathroom in my cell as a kitchen. I think it’ll be big enough, and the copper wash bin should be good enough for a fire.” Ferruccio thought for a moment about what he would make, then looked down and saw Laura gazing off into the middle distance. “Hey, Laura, are you ok? You seem a bit dazed.”

DeletedUser31931

When frank heard the man said he needed a cook he said. "I'll cook. I can help get materials too if you want."

Deleted User - 819397

Her power...so far it had only responded to fear, yet last night when Taranis had his last word...she had felt something try to materialize when she felt angry. Was it possible to do it with other emotions? Would they too sap her of her reason and restraint? She hadn't wanted to ever kill...and Randall...and several of the gang members...had surrendered...she could have avoided killing...but by then, she had no power to stop herself...the only way to avoid it was not let her fear reach the level to use her power...but then she'd die, not knowing how to use any normal weapon. There was no way out...

"Hey, Laura, are you ok? You seem a bit dazed.”

This jerked Laura out of her ever increasingly miserable train of thought. "I...I'm ok." she muttered. "It's just...I didn't need to kill my opponent...he surrendered...but I couldn't stop myself...I had no way to stop it..."

DeletedUser28032

What did she just say? Taranis had barely heard her melancholy mutterings but he could have sword she'd said that she'd been unable to stop herself from killing her opponent or something to that effect at least. Still rattled by the spectres appearance Taranis frowns slightly at the girl as if he was trying to identify some strange species of bird she can't be like me surely not…but then again…
"Of course she's alright a few drinks and she'll be as good as new...Speaking of which I think I know where to locate something a little stronger to drink than watery beer" he said, a sly smile coming to his face as he began to piece together the beginnings of a scheme.
"You guys go on ahead to our new friend’s cell whilst Laura and I go and retrieve the drinks...What do you say Laura? Sound like a plan?" he said clapping his hand upon her shoulder in a seemingly friendly manner smiling at her once again.
Once he got her away from the others he'd be able to question her about what she had meant by her last statement, that and he had a lot more work to do if he was ever going to make her his pet.

Deleted User - 819397

Laura did her best not to wince as Taranis put his hand on her shoulder. The seemingly friendly gesture, accompanied with the smile that didn't reach the eyes, made it crystal clear that saying no wasn't an option. "Y-yeah...sure," she mumbled, shaking off Ferruccio's arm. She suddenly realized that both Ferruccio and Argent wouldn't like the development either, seeing as they had been the ones to intervene the first time anyway. A slight tightening of the hand on her shoulder told her Taranis was thinking something along the lines herself. "I'll be ok...I'm sure we'll be at Ferruccio's room before a half hour has elapsed." She resisted the urge to return her tormentor's cold smile; she'd just made it crystal clear that if they didn't show up after a half hour something was wrong. Hopefully that'd deter Taranis from doing anything too bad...although as the two of them began to move off, she wondered if it'd be enough.

DeletedUser28032

A time limit clever girl...but that won't protect you not from me, oh no your new friends don't worry me...a cursed man has no fear.
Moving down the corridor Taranis felt no need to man handle her to their destination she knew it was in her best interest to do as he said besides which dragging her would draw too much attention.
Keeping his voice low in a conspiratorial whisper Taranis asked the question that was on his mind "When you said you couldn't stop yourself from killing...what did you mean exactly?" Are you cursed like me? was what he really wanted to say but if she proved to not to be like him then at least she wouldn't know his secret...or at least not just yet anyway.
Listening to her reply Taranis leads her up a short set of stone steps before taking a left hand branch in the corridor their feet beginning to echo loudly as they walked down the deserted corridor.
"This is it, we're here" Taranis said quietly, grabbing her arm for the first time since leaving the others in order to stop her in front of a plain studded wooden door "The warden keeps a couple of liquor bottles in his room I want you to go in there and steal some whilst I keep watch...oh and you'd better make it quick we have less than half an hour" he said with an evil grin hoping that the rumours and gossip he'd overheard the night before would prove to be true for once.

Deleted User - 819397

Taranis had at least let go of her, a small victory in Laura's mind. However, his question caught her off guard. She had been expecting more yelling, taunting...not this polite question. She was suspicious of his motives...after all, they might end up fighting each other down the road, and knowing an opponent's ability gave one the upper hand. Once again though, the knowledge that he had her over a barrel with the fact his room was so close to hers, combined with him being all too keen to taunt her over what could happen to someone like her...she knew she had no choice.

"My power...it's brought on by fear...when it reaches a certain level it manifests itself. I channel that fear to power my attacks...however, if the source of that fear isn't eliminated either through death or me not needing to fear them due to surrender before a certain time...the fear consumes me. I lose the ability to control my own body...until the object of the fear is dead. I can think clearly and try to stop my body, but I haven't been successful yet." She left out the part about other emotions possibly triggering her power, mainly because she didn't know it worked for sure yet either.

"This is it, we're here The warden keeps a couple of liquor bottles in his room I want you to go in there and steal some whilst I keep watch...oh and you'd better make it quick we have less than half an hour"

Laura looked at her tormentor in horror. "Y-you want me to be the one to get the alcohol? I-I don't even know what I'm looking for...my parents didn't drink either..." she trailed off as Taranis continued to grin wickedly at her. Clearly he didn't care...and he also didn't care what would happen to them if they were caught. Hating the fact that this man had managed to put her securely under his thumb less than 48 hours after she'd arrived, she steeled herself and opened the door.

The quarters were plush, keeping with the arena's theme of treating people nicely so they could do their job better. Completely clueless as to what she was looking for, she scanned the area quickly, not finding anything that she thought would be the proper bottles. A wooden crate caught her eye, however, and upon looking inside, she saw several bottles that didn't have water in them, but rather a strong-smelling liquid. Assuming this was what Taranis wanted, she grabbed a bottle in each hand and quickly left the area. Resisting the urge to glare at her tormentor, knowing it would only bring more trouble, she held up the bottles. "Are these what you want?"

DeletedUser13682

“That is most unfortunate. My opponent, he deserved death, most dishonourable actions, and he wasn’t the surrendering type.” Ferruccio shrugged, a claim that the workings of the universe were beyond his control. The forest dweller mentioned he could cook. “That’s great. You go get supplies. Then after passing through the cantina, take your third left, then second left, first right, seventh left, and my cell is the fourth door on the right. Spread the word around too. And take somebody if you need help carrying supplies.” With that taken care of, Ferruccio set about assigning tasks to the rest of the group.

The Cruithni decided to gather alcohol, and bring Laura along with him. “I’m not sure tha…” Before he could finish though, Laura shrugged off Ferruccio’s arm, and headed with Taranis, giving weak assurance she would be ok, and giving a time they would be back. “Alright, don’t get caught then. Bring back lots of alcohol. We’ll need it.” After they left, Ferruccio turned to the remaining people. “Let’s get a fire going, and get some more people. Remember, everybody’s invited, I mean everybody. Get as many people as you can. This will be a great party, and everybody deserves to be a part of it.”

DeletedUser31931

Frank headed into the cantina and the kitchen was empty. He smiled. Walking up to the door he saw it was locked. No matter he just walked across to the serving area and slid across the top into the kitchen. He grabbed some chicken. Broccoli (OOC: Not sure if Broccoli was around, but believe it was just not commonly eaten then again, we are on Klemestre), cabbage and lettuce were the three best vegetables he could find. He grabbed some beans too. Finally grabbing a mix of fruit he thought he'd make a fruit salad for desert. He put all the crates he needed on the desktop. Deciding to take two trips he slid the other crates under the table. Taking half the crates he set off quickly carrying the food. He took a left, then another left, then right, then another left and walked to the cell fourth door down. Opening it he guessed it was Ferruccio's and put the crates in the corner. He set off at a run back. In the cantina he also grabbed a blank piece of paper that was on a pad that was clearly being used for lists. He grabbed a pencil and wrote a short note although his writing was not great as he had not practiced it that often in the forest. Taking about five minutes he had a tidy looking note reading "Party in Ferruccio's room to celebrate us surviving. From cantina take third left, second left, first right, seventh left, fourth cell on the right. Tell everyone you know. Tonight we dine like kings to try and pretend we're not in this hell-hole. Even if you don't want to come spread the word. Put this note through someone else's door when you're done with it. Taking the second lot of crates and the notes he pushed the note under the second door he came to after hearing signs of life from it. Then he hurried on with the crates back to Ferruccio's room. With the crates set up all he would need was a fire, some water and a couple of pans. Making an executive decision he hurried back to the cantina and grabbed a roasting spit for the chicken, and several pots and pans and a heating table to erect them on. Spotting a carcass room with a deer he could roast he thought he'd nick that too on a final trip back. He ran the pots back to the room and dumped them with the crates. Finally he checked the lock on the carcass room and as fate would have it, it was unlocked. He grabbed a deer however only a small one and a second roasting pit and began to head off. Dropping the final piece into Ferruccio's room he decided to go find Ferruccio wherever he was.

DeletedUser28032

Fear? No she was definitely not like him...rage, bloodlust and violence those were the things that effected him most, forcing him to fight back the red mists that threatened to descend and turn him into a mindless animal "Best you find a new weapon then girl...a weapon you can't control will only kill you and fear only breeds cowardice" he had sneered in reply, although he was curious to learn more of this power she spoke of after all one day they may have to fight one another or at least share an arena together.
Leaning against the wall outside of the wardens cell Taranis kept watch though should anybody arrive he would only bang once upon the door before departing, it would be up to her to save her own skin.
Hearing the slight squeaking of the hinges as the girl made her exit, a pair of bottles in her hands Taranis grinned once more as he took one of the bottles from her and held in under his nose for a few seconds, completely ignoring the faded label "Yes this will do nicely" he said before pulling the cork out with his teeth and drinking a mouthful of the amber liquid inside, the coarse liquor burning its way down his throat "This will calm you down a bit, Drink" he said holding the bottle towards her, the look on his face saying that he would force it down her throat if he was required to do so.
Once this small act of cruelty was over the two of them would make their way over to wagon makers cell pausing only long enough for Taranis to retrieve a shirt from his own cell, he would clean the now dry blood from himself once he'd had his fill of feasting and drinking.

Deleted User - 819397

Laura's relief at having located the proper bottles changed to trepidation as Taranis held the bottle out to her, telling her in no uncertain terms to drink. "C-can't it wait?" she stuttered, inexplicably terrified of the liquor. However, her tormentor's face held no mercy, draining any hope Laura had of delaying. She took the bottle, hand trembling slightly. Her parents had never drank, considering liquor to be a corruption with so many succumbing to it regularly. She didn't know how much was required to become drunk, and knew that she needed her wits about her in a place like this...particularly when the person who was making her life miserable seemed determined to control every aspect of her life.

She slowly raised the bottle to her mouth, planning on taking a small sip to placate Taranis. However, right when she could feel the liquid beginning to flow, the bottle jerked upward, and her mouth was filled with the liquor. The taste was so strong, so overwhelming, that she immediately began to choke, almost throwing the bottle down as she fell to her knees, spitting as much as she could on the floor. She could feel a little of it slipping down her throat, burning the whole way. She couldn't believe that Taranis and the others actually looked forward to drinking the stuff...it was awful. "How can you stand that?" she gasped hoarsely, tears streaming down her face as a result of the burning sensation, her tear ducts forced into opening. She didn't think she'd be able to drink any more of it, no matter how Taranis tried to force the matter...it was just too strong.

DeletedUser28032

Quickly relieving Laura of the bottle before she dropped to her knee's Taranis burst out laughing at her reaction to the strong liquor "I'll make you into a warrior yet" he laughs taking another swig from the bottle himself before replacing the cork.
"Come on get up we've a feast to attend...also if I don't get you back your friends are going to come a looking, and then I’d have to kill them" he said as he gently helped her back onto her feet his voice despite his threatening to murder was friendly as if killing someone was just something you had to do every now and again...like bathing.
Suddenly a pair of voices could be heard from around the corner as they drew nearer to where they were currently stood. A look of worry suddenly sprung upon Taranis' face only to be replaced by another evil grin "I'll see you at the feast...oh and I hope you can run fast" Taranis whispered so as not to be overheard by the approaching voices before turning to bellow down the corridor "Hey warden! someone’s stealing your stuff" without waiting to see how Laura or the approaching people would react to his cry Taranis began sprinting down the corridor gripping the neck of the bottle tightly as he went.

Deleted User - 819397

Still trying to recover her breath from the liquor, Laura barely registered Taranis' newest threat, though it was clear he seemed almost eager to kill Argent and Ferruccio. She had just been helped back up to her feet, albeit still hunched over at the waist, breathing hard, when the clear sound of voices began to float up the corridor. Taranis took a bad situation and made it far worse by yelling at the top of his lungs about how someone was stealing the Warden's things, then taking off. Still weakened by the alcohol, Laura began to stumble away as fast as she could. She couldn't hear what the voices were saying, but it was clear from the tone that they were urgent...clearly Wardens to some capacity. She had just rounded the corner when she began to cough again, the burning still present in her throat. She forced herself to stumble on, despite all that was going wrong...if she was caught, a slow, torturous death was guaranteed.

Several corridors later, she had almost reached her limit. She'd have been able to get away easily if not for the effects of the alcohol, most namely the burning sensation sapping her breath. An open door was too tempting to resist, particularly after a quick glance showed it was empty. She stumbled inside, closed the door, and collapsed, panting heavily. After recovering for a few minutes she turned around, and froze. The same man whose eye had bled while proclaiming that Randall could exact his revenge was standing there. How in the world hadn't she seen him? The man didn't move at all, not even blinking as they looked at each other. "E-excuse me sir..." Laura began, nervous as all get-out. The continued lack of any reaction made her stop talking, more unnerved than ever. "I-I'll just go then..." she managed, opening the door to see that whoever had been pursuing her was long gone. She left without looking back, not wanting to see his gaze anymore. Instead she focused on Taranis...she had to figure out how to stop him from forcing her to do whatever he wanted, tormenting her even if she complied with his wishes. She'd have to talk to Argent when Taranis wasn't looking...he would likely have the best chance of diffusing the situation...at least, she hoped he would...

DeletedUser28032

With his heart still hammering in his chest after his headlong flight down the long twisting corridors Taranis entered Feruccio's cell with a look of triumph on his face as he presented the bottle to those gathered "Here you go lads this will put hairs on your chest" he says with a broad smile.
Placing the bottle onto a nearby table Taranis looks about the small room and notices that Laura was not present must have gotten lost he thinks to himself the idea that she may have been caught never entering his mind as he makes himself comfortable leaning against the back wall.
Once it had become apparent that no one was chasing him Taranis had made a quick detour to his cell in order to scrub the worst of the blood from off of his face with cold water and then change into a homespun shirt causing him to look less like the Wildman that had decapitated its opponent earlier this day.

DeletedUser

After being forced to take life, Argent was not feeling his best. However, the prospect of something to eat was enough to lure him back to Ferruccio's room, but not before he took a brief detour to the benches where breakfast was arrayed before he entered the arena. There were still some left overs around - though Argent wouldn't have eaten any of it, even if the code would allow him to - the food was not why Argent was there to begin with. Pretending to stretch, Argent spread his arms and walked rather stiffly in the general direction of a grate sat into the stone floor. When he got close enough, Argent rotated his head around on his neck until he could look right down it. At the very bottom of the grate was standing, murky water. Perfect.

Looking over the assortment of stale, rotten, small or otherwise unsatisfactory pieces of meat that had been left by the combatants before they went to their battles, Argent took a plate from a short stack at the side of the tables. He took a fork and knife from the pile next to the plates. Using the fork, Argent went down the benches and speared a few pieces of meat, pulling them onto his plate even as his stomach roiled. Finally, a pile of left overs stacked on his plate, Argent turned away from the tables and began to walk away, in the direction of the grate. Clutched in the hand holding the plate aloft was the knife, while the fork was stuck into the summit of the pile of meat, like a flag atop a hill.

When he was close enough, Argent purposefully tripped over his own feet. The monk went sprawling to the ground, the meat flying from his plate and pattering over towards the drain before falling through and splashing loudly into the water. His knees and elbows burned and Argent pulled himself into the fetal position, wheezing as if the air had been knocked from his lungs -- using this to hide his hands, as they slipped the knife into the waistband of his pants and arranged his shirt to hide it.

A moment later, Argent stood up, doing his best to appear dazed as he dusted off his black clothing. As soon as he was finished, Argent picked up his plate, an embarrassed look upon his face as his eyes searched around the ground for the knife he had lost. Then, a look of worry crossed his face and he called to a nearby Warden who was watching the table "Sir, I have lost my silverware - and breakfast - down the storm drain."

With a look on his face that said he could really care less about Argent's fall, he spoke back "So? Go get another plate if you really want this slop."

Looking down at the plate in his hands, Argent got a dejected look in his eyes as he went back to the table and sat it in the pile of dirty plates at the end "No thank you, sir, I seem to have lost my appetite." Without waiting for a response, Argent turned from the benches and went towards the doors that lead to his cell block. His breath came short and each second stretched on for hours, even as his footsteps fell in slow motion. The entire time, the monk was sure he was about to be discovered, that some small thing might alert the nearby warden, but Argent finally got through the door and into the cell blocks.

The moment the door closed behind him - hiding him from sight of the warden beside the bench - he let out a great breath and then gulped for more. By the essence. Argent thought to himself as he set out for his cell -- intending to deposit his contraband before meeting with Ferruccio and his new found friends.

Deleted User - 819397

Still shaken from her encounter with the man who had spooked the larger group before, and with the alcohol still burning her throat, Laura headed to Ferruccio's cell for the party. She wasn't particularly looking forward to it, as any fraternizing that was done could be done with someone she'd have to fight later, but at the same time she knew that without friends she'd go crazy...and with Taranis determined to make her life miserable, she needed some support.

By the time she got there, the party was in full swing. Grabbing a glass of water (checking to make sure it was actually water) she downed it, trying to get rid of the burning sensation left from the alcohol. She didn't talk to anyone, afraid of finding another Taranis who would go out of their way to torture her. She also needed to avoid her current tormentor...with all this commotion in such a tiny space, even a scream would be hard to hear. She still had no clue why Taranis was so inclined to go after her at every opportunity, but knew that the less she was near him, the better things would go. She just had to avoid him at all costs at this party...

DeletedUser28032

As celebrations went Taranis had to admit this one wasn't bad; as he poured more of the potent liquor into the Sais woman's cup. It hadn't taken him long to strike up a rapport with her and a Cruithni man, the similarities in their language and culture making for a natural bond between the three of them.
Sat in the corner of the small cell the three of them laughed and regaled one another with tales of their homelands in accents near indecipherable to the others gathered in the room.
Upon noticing Laura's arrival to the party Taranis smiles broadly and waves the her over as he calls in an accent thickened by drink "Girl, come and meet my new friends!" his voice easily carrying across the crowded room, the Sais woman sat on his knee smiling good naturedly at Laura before turning her attention back to the two men as the Cruithni man begins telling a joke momentarily drawing Taranis' attention away from Laura as he turns to listen to listen to him, though for how long was anybodies guess.

Deleted User - 819397

Taranis called out to Laura to come over and meet his "friends", but was quickly distracted by one of the other two, so she was able to quickly duck away and place herself on the opposite side of the room. She wondered if the other "friends" were like her...after all he'd used the word with her back when Ferruccio and Argent tried to intervene...but eventually dismissed the idea because of the fact the two had seemed completely relaxed, something she couldn't have acted like no matter what Taranis threatened her with. She was beginning to regret coming to the party...the mess, noise, and throng of people was starting to feel a bit stifling, and she realized she wouldn't be able to stay much longer. Out of gratitude for Ferruccio helping her earlier though, she decided to stick it out as long as she could...it was the least she could do to begin to repay him.