The Final Coliseum: Victory, Death, or Humilation

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

DeletedUser

As Argent waited for Ferruccio to respond to his request, he picked the bottle up from his desk and rolled it around in his hands. Waiting for the tradesman to answer him, the Klemstrian let his mind wander back over the years to a birthday celebration he had attended for his dear friend and mentor, Father Vincent. There had been song and dancing, fresh greens and pastries and even a little spirits -- though Argent did not partake as alcohol interfered with his quest for the Aerandir Linwëlin. That didn't stop the others from drinking though and later on in the night he had been present when a brother accidentally broke a bottle on the side of his table. The razor sharp shards had bit deeply into his hand and he'd dropped what little remained of the container to the ground -- where it also shattered. Argent smiled a little to himself. It might just be possible.

It was as Argent was about to ask to be alone that the girl he'd been placed next to during the meal came in. A look of alarm came into her eyes as she registered the presence of a second person in the room. Argent immediately stood from his desk, absently tossing the bottle onto the cot he slept upon "Ah, welcome Laura, I had almost given up upon you."

"If you please, brother, the sister and I have business." Argent smiled at Ferruccio across the desk. As the tradesman vacated the barrel-chair and left the room, Argent motioned to the seat with a sweeping gesture, murmuring "I am sorry for the discomfort, I'm in the process of finding some form of padding."

Turning away from the makeshift desk Argent began rifling around his room. He got down on his hands and knees to search under his cot, rooted around in the pile of rags that used to be the clothes he was given upon entry and finally found his stack of stained parchment. As he took a piece from the pile and found the inkwell and quill he had had on his person at the time of his abduction Argent apologized "I am sorry, sister. Both for startling you with Ferruccio and this horrifying parchment. I do my best. Just, please, do not think about what the stains on the paper might be from."

"Now" he continued, dipping the quill into the inkwell and placing his hand at the top of the paper "can you read and write, sister?"

DeletedUser

Aughr sat in his cell, curled up into the foetal position on the floor, he did not care for the plush bed that sat next to him, why did these ignorant city-dwellers bother with such things? why burden themselves with meaningless comfort? His mind puzzled over this, eventually his thoughts turned to the coming fight, it would be so good, time for him to finally fill his quota...the Dauhtor tribe was focused around death, and each tribal member had their own important role to play, the women focused on giving birth to new warriors, so that they could fill their quota, whilst the men went out and attacked neighbouring tribes, with each kill they advanced to completing their quota of killing fifty souls. after a warrior's quota was fulfilled, that warrior would immediately allow himself to fall into death's sweet arms, killing themselves at the first opportunity.
Aughr had already sent two souls on their way, he had killed both during the ambush, only 48 more to go,, then he could finally end his life...

Deleted User - 819397

Laura visibly relaxed as the second man left the room, though his eyes remained on her until it was no longer possible for them to be so. Sitting on the barrel-chair, she waited patiently for Argent to bring out the paper...it seemed that he really was who he said he was...someone who wanted to help. He finally procured the paper, and asked if she could read and write. "Y-yes, I can," she nodded. "My parents made sure that I was as educated as they could afford." When offered the quill, she took it and pulled the paper so that she could comfortably reach it. Thinking for a moment, she turned the quill over in her hand several times. Then, she began to write.

Dear Mother and Father,

I apologize for having to resort to writing to contact you. I know you must be worried about me...I've been gone for a week already as I write this, and who knows when you'll get it? I was returning from the Monastery after my talk with Priest Hemme when a gang jumped me. I had taken one of my alley shortcuts, not realizing how late it was getting. I assured them I had no money on me, but they had other pursuits. I was absolutely terrified, and just as they moved to hold me down, I felt something...blossom, inside of me. I had developed what we had always hoped I lacked - a power. I was able to use it to knock out the gang members, and just as I felt I could relax, recruiters from the Coliseum grabbed me. They immediately took me away.

I'm at the Coliseum now. I go to my first fight tomorrow. I'm writing this because a religious man of sorts has been helping those of us who wish to write home has offered his assistance in getting it to you. I wanted to write now, before the fight...just in case.
At this point, Laura's hand started shaking slightly. She forced it to stop and kept writing. I must ask that you don't come to see me...the only way you'd be able to is if you watched me fight...and I would never forgive myself if I fell as you looked on. I love you both, and will never forget you. Please don't forget me.

Love,

Laura

Now trying hard not to let the tears so heavy in her eyes fall, Laura handed back the quill and the now-full paper. "T-thank you..." she managed before tilting her head back, eyes closed, clearly trying to hold back the tears.

DeletedUser

It was both bad manners and rather awkward to stand about and watch as someone wrote such a personal letter. Doing his best to set the young girl at ease and to make this situation as bearable as possible, Argent stood from his desk, patted her shoulder and whispered that he would be just outside the door when she was finished. Argent went out the door and stood against the wall.

A few moments later, the girl called him back in, having completed her letter. Argent sat down just in time to receive the parchment. He did not read its contents, simply blew upon the paper to dry it, before beginning the intricate folding process that made the parchment small enough to fit onto the pieces of cloth attached to whichever pigeons he caught's foot.

Argent took his time getting a piece of cloth and then attaching the note -- hoping the girl would have regained her composure by then. These letters were never easy, Argent remembered the letter he wrote himself and which now resided in a pocket just over his heart. Sitting in the chair, head titled back on her shoulders she did not look any better. Argent reached out a hand to her and put it upon her shoulder "It is okay to cry, sister. We must all cope with what has happened, this cell is a place of healing and sanctuary."

He stood from his chair, letting his hand fall back to his side as he did so "Stay here as long as you wish, sister, no one will bother you. I will go and send your message, with luck your loved ones will get it." Argent bowed to her as he left, the last pigeon in his cell held gently under his arm.

With quick steps - for he knew the curfew was rapidly approaching - Argent hurried to the courtyard. All of the cell blocks - dormitories as the wardens called them - were underground and thus the courtyard was the only place aside from the dining hall that was exposed to the sky. Higher than Argent could even comprehend, stars glittered in the dark abyss and Argent gazed on them with a look of reverie upon his face. This world held such beauty in it, it seemed a harsh contrast that such beauty could be seen from inside the walls of such a hideous place. "May your wings be swift and your course true." Argent told the pigeon as he lifted it high above his head and opened his fingers. The bird lifted from his hands and flew away, out between the bars over his head.

It was always a hopeful and disparaging thing, to release one of the pigeons. Pigeons knew not where you wished them to fly, these wild pigeons were just going to fly off into the city and resume their normal lives. Argent could only hope that the loose way he tied the messages would eventually work the parchment free and it might fall where someone else might pick it up and, assuming they could read, see its contents. Of course, Argent would never tell the prisoners of the ridiculous chances it would take for their messages to get home, but it was hope for them and to put the harsh reality into it would destroy the meaning of the gesture entirely.

Shaking his head, Argent turned and returned to his cell, just before the guards came by and locked them for the night. Argent settled down into his cot, taking the bottle he'd gotten from Ferruccio and hiding it under the bed where he hoped none would find it. As he drifted off to sleep, Argent began to recite the mantra deep in his mind.

Deleted User - 819397

(THIS POST IS IMPORTANT FOR EVERYONE! PLEASE SEE THE INFORMATION LOCATED AFTER THE FIRST ------- FOR DETAILS)

Laura waited for Argent to leave before finally breaking down. She had thought she'd gotten all the sorrow of the situation out of her on the week-long journey here, but the letter had forced the feelings back to the foreground. She allowed herself a couple minutes of quiet sobbing before coming back to herself. Curfew couldn't be more than 15 minutes away, and she had to be back in her own cell by then. She hurried back to her room and closed the door. She hesitated, then turned the bolt in the door. She knew that the guards would lower the wooden plank outside her door to keep her in, but, as the man down the hall from her had said, this wasn't a safe place for her, and if anyone got out of their own room, leaving her door unlocked wasn't smart. She took off her boots and climbed into the bed, surprised that it was so comfortable. She figured this was another way to make the combatants happier...the more content they were, the better they'd fight. Despite the fact that she thought she'd have a hard time sleeping because of the fight to come tomorrow, she was asleep within minutes, exhaustion taking over.

-----------------------------

Ok, here's the deal. I'm going to require everyone to make a "prep" post, about how they prepare for their fight, starting with waking up. Until you make said post, I won't make a character for you to fight. I don't mind putting the effort in for you guys, but I don't want it to be wasted. Zemelci and Catherine Warr, you two have yet to post. I've come up with a plan...if no prep post is made by the time the rest of the fights have concluded, you lose your chance to fight that round. I'll assume your character won the fight, and you can try again next round. However, if you miss...let's say...3 fights in a row, your character is in risk of being killed (kind of like inactivity in the game works, come to think of it). This goes for everyone. An example of a prep post (mine) is below. Good luck to all.

-----------------------

The next morning, Laura woke suddenly as a guard rapped on her door, demanding she get up. Somewhat groggily, she made her way into the bathroom and rang the bell, signaling that she wanted a bath drawn. She then returned to the bedroom to use the chamber pots. She began to slowly wake up as she waited for the bath, and was somewhat conscious by the time a voice coming from the bathroom told her the bath was ready for her. She returned to the room, closing the door to her bedroom behind her. She tried the service door (locked), then quickly stripped and sank into the bath.

Several minutes later, she got out and dried herself off, then put on the clothes from yesterday...there was no point in wearing another set until something was wrong with the first one, since she didn't know if the clothes would be replaced. She used the rough brush next to the bath to brush her hair briefly, so that it wouldn't fall in her face when the fight came, and then returned to the bedroom. She noticed a key on the desk, and assumed it was for locking her room when she wasn't there.

Unbolting the door, she stepped outside, then locked the door behind her. The cafeteria was serving breakfast, a mess of pastries, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, toast, and other foods. A large board had been set up, and this showed who was fighting who, as well as which arena (there were 10) and what time, ranging from a half hour from now to three days from now. A quick scan told Laura that she wasn't fighting Argent, although he was fighting at roughly the same time as her. Nerves prevented her from eating much, though she forced a couple bites down, knowing she'd need it later. All too soon, it was time.

From the cafeteria, the path diverged. In front of her was the path to the main Coliseum, where the big fights were put on. To the left, a path to the odd-numbered arenas, to the right, the evens, forming a big U shape. She saw Argent heading down the right path, and nodded jerkily to him when he saw her. Turning towards the left path, she groaned to see her tormenter in front of her...surely she wasn't going to have to fight him?!? She was in arena 9, the farthest one down...so as long as he turned before then...

Staying behind him so he wouldn't see her, she passed arena 3...5... On the way to 7, she was truly freaking out...if he didn't turn at 7, she'd be fighting him, something that would be terrible. However, upon reaching the passageway to 7, he turned, and she breathed a sigh of relief...that would have been terrible, battling him first...

Coming to arena 9, she saw a branching path again. One had an arrow with her name on it, the other, the name of her opponent, which meant nothing to her. Upon reaching the end of that path, she came into an armory. The guard there told her that if she wished for something not there, she had to just ask, and so long as it wasn't armor, she'd get it. He mentioned that anyone who had specific weapons they'd had when they were captured, that's how they'd get them, but since she had been unarmed, she couldn't use it that way.

Looking around, she saw swords, axes, lances, spears, bows...and she didn't have a clue how to use any of them. As far as protection, there were only shields...and they were all much too heavy for her. If her power worked...not a guarantee...she wouldn't need anything...but if not...Eventually, she selected a rapier. It was easy to lift, and seemed to work best by thrusting. She still had no clue how to use it effectively, but it was better than nothing. She nodded to the guard, stomach clenching painfully, her mind feeling like this was all some horrible dream. She was ready...or at least as ready as she'd ever be.

DeletedUser

Aughr woke up the next morning, his eyes snapped open and and stood up.
rubbing his eyes, but not yawning, he moved over to the door, he had left his door unbolted last night, as he couldn't see a point of locking it. pushing it, he found that it swung open easily, the guards had already moved the wooden bar that kept the door shut.
Aughr moved out into the corridor and began moving down the passage, he didn't even think for a moment about washing, why bother?
He brushed past several of the other prisoners as they made their way to the canteen, or as his people would call it the Keymwar, the waste space.
In the room lay row upon row of full dishes of meat and various other foods, laden upon benches.
How could these people bother with such frivolities, after all, not many of the combatants were eating, as most were too pale with the thought of the oncoming fight.
Aughr however, relished the through and treated himself to a piece of meat. his eyes scanned the large board that had been laid into the wall as his teeth ripped through the flesh.
His eyes searched the board for his own name, eventually he found it, labelled under Arena number 4.
Finishing his food, he turned and moved out of the canteen and down the passageway.
Soon he came to arena 4, he turned and moved into the corridor, on the wall in front of him were two arrows; one with his name on it, and the other with his opponent's name on it.
Aughr moved down his assigned corridor, soon he came to an armoury, where a guard tried to explain that he could get whatever weapon he wished.
Aughr didn't listen, and instead interrupted the man; "Where's my bow?"
The guard nodded and moved into a far corner of the room, he returned carrying a small black curved bow, alongside a leather quiver filled with black fletched arrows.
Aughr snatched up his tools and moved out of the armoury. Time to send a soul on it's way!

DeletedUser28032

Something was chasing him, he could feel its eyes burning into his back as he ran through pitch black forest, his breath coming out in big icy plumes as his feet crunched on snow and leaf litter. No matter how fast he ran or in which direction he always ended up stopping at the edge of that same ravine, night after night after night. Peering over the edge he stares down in suffocating black abyss, a noise from behind him suddenly causing him to turn around and face his pursuer only to wake up instead.
A guard’s voice calls through the thick wooden door telling him to wake up and that he was to fight today.
Leaving his cell after only a brief call to the privy Taranis strides down the corridor towards the dining hall leaving the door to his cell unlocked after all there was nothing of value in there and nothing he couldn't get back later if it was required of him.
The smell of food greeted him long before he arrived in the large room causing his mouth to water in anticipation. Helping himself to a small portion eggs and bacon so as not cause cramp in the arena Taranis nodded his head in greeting to the only other man who appeared to be eating, judging by his attire he was what the city folks termed as a tribal like he was himself although this man definitely was not of the Sais.
Finishing his meal and wiping the grease from around his lips with the cuff of his shirt he makes his way towards the arena his mind so wrapped up in finding the correct room that (Luckily for Laura) he paid no heed to anyone else around him.
He eyed the vast array of weaponry like a kid at a toy stall, swords, hammers, glaives the choice seemed endless though he knew what weapons he required the moment he stepped into the room "I want my knives...the ones I was carrying when you took me...and I hope you cleaned them since then" he said digging the barb in deep, the recruiters hadn't expected a lone tribal to cause them so much trouble and they had been truly horrified when his ability had finally manifested killing four of them before they were able to subdue him.
Testing the familiar weight of the two blades in his hand Taranis smiled with satisfaction before removing his shirt and tossing it at the guard, he would be fighting bare-chested with his tattoos and pendant there for all to see. Gripping his weapons tight he walks towards the final arena door and steps through it.

DeletedUser

Throughout the night and into the morning, the Klemstrian Mantra ran through Argent's head, reverberating about inside his skull and lulling him deeper into sleep. From the moment he could understand speech, these words had been given to him. The mantra and it's thousands of verses, poetically telling him how to live a good life. Deep inside, Argent felt the power of the Klemstrian People flow through him, even as he woke up a full hour before the guard would come by to release him from his cell.

During that hour, Argent took a seat upon the floor. Crossing his legs and closing his eyes, Argent began his morning meditations, slowly clenching and unclenching his body. Preparing himself mind and body for the trials that were about to come. As his consciousness slowly melted away, Argent could almost feel all of the life around him; from the family of mice that lived inside his desk to the prisoners in their cells around him. With each repeat, the feeling only strengthened, until Argent thought he could just touch the outside of something vast and dark. The moment he felt that dark presence about him, Argent stopped his meditations, his eyes flying open, just as the sound of sliding bars alerted him that the prisoners were now being released.

Standing, Argent rolled all of his extremities around in their sockets. He felt lithe and powerful, sleek and fast, but in the back of his mind the grim reality was coming upon him, that in all probability he was about to take the life of another prisoner, just like he. Argent did not wish to think of it, and so he brought up the Klemstrian Mantra again and began to recite it silently to himself.

From nothing we came and from nothing we must return.

The bars to his cell were parted and the door opened outwards. Before the door had even fully came unlocked, Argent was moving towards the door, each step seemed to barely touch the ground before the next footfall. He did not wait for permission, nor for his guards to catch up. Argent simply strode forward through the ocean of prisoners, his mind clear of all fear and doubt, the Mantra giving him strength with each verse. His stomach no longer growled in hunger and Argent wouldn't have fed himself anyway, not only was there nothing upon the table that he could eat, but a full belly would slow him down and break his concentration.

Stopping in front of the great board that told of the battles, Argent found his opponent. Not giving the breakfast table a second glance - the sight of the meats on display would roil his stomach - Argent strode past, joining the group of souls traveling to their respective deaths. His pinkish eyes lit up when they fell upon the young girl he'd helped the previous night. Her nerves were playing with her, it was obvious by the way she inclined her head towards him, the look in her eyes. Argent bowed deeply to her and called to her "From nothing we came, from nothing we must return." Before turning on his heel and vanishing up the rightward facing path, headed for the stadium with his number on it.

The armory he found himself was filled to bursting with weapons. Swords with wicked tips and sharp curves glittered from their stands while finely made spears and halberds leaned against a far wall. Shields were piled together for his selection right next to a tremendous war hammer that looked to weigh a ton. Argent paid no mind to these weapons, these atrocities against nature and strode to the middle of the room, where sat upon a high wooden table were his clawed gauntlets. Argent reverently took them from the table and held them in his hands, staring down at them and remembering all they meant, what they were for and why they were made. These are a last resort, these were made to protect life from those who would squelch it. He put a finger to the tip of the claw that would be just over his index finger and pushed down upon it, a tiny, painless ruby of blood came from the tip of his finger. Argent then ran his hands down the back of the gauntlets, where razor sharp blades were strategically positioned to allow him to backhand an enemy with lethal force. Argent bowed once again, before attaching them to the front of his belt by a chain that dangled there for this exact purpose.

Walking around the table and towards the gate that would raise, and then lower behind him to trap him inside the arena, but still caged by a second barrier in front of him. Argent nodded his head to the guard "I am ready."

The guard nodded back to him, as he opened the gate. Upon the other side of the barrier was a second gate and Argent walked toward it. Only after he was three steps from it did the gate between he and the armory slam down behind him. Inside the cage it was pitch black, Argent could not see his own stark white hand in front of his face. Despite the darkness, Argent closed his eyes again and uttered the last verse of his chant.

Allow me the strength to defend that which is sacred.

Deleted User - 819397

(Ok, to prevent myself from having to type for an hour to get everyone going at once, I'll do the ones that are ready now...Johann, Zem, Catharine, please don't hesitate to post when you can Also, I'm changing the rules...if you want to narrate the fight, go ahead...if you want me to control the opponent as I said at the beginning, don't and I'll take the hint :p).

Aughr
As Aughr walked into the waiting corridor, testing his bow to make sure the scum hadn't messed with it, a loud clanking greeted him. The final door leading into the arena was already opening. It was time. As he stepped out, a man, clearly an announcer, was introducing him. "Coming out of the Gold Door, we have a tribal savage from the far south-east, where the wastelands stretch for miles. He's from a tribe that values death above all things, so his opponents need fear his name...I give you...Aughr Kuenack!" A roar erupted from the crowd, not overly welcoming, but not condemning either. As he balefully looked around the audience, he could see that many were not enjoying themselves, clearly only here because of the requirement of watching at least one match a year.

"And now..." the announcer continued. "Coming from the Silver Door, a man from the far reaches of the very city we are in, a man who, prior to capture, ran one of the most successful gambling operations this Coliseum has ever seen, I give you...Drake Lenda!" A somewhat portly man carrying a spear and a round shield stepped out of the opposite door, looking completely terrified. "Please! I won't ever set up a pool again...please, just let me go!" he screamed to the air, clearly trying to attract the Overlord's attention. The announcer, oblivious to the man's begging, stepped onto a platform that was pulled by several Wardens up and out of the way. "Here we go...only three ways to end the fight...3...2...1...GO!" Drake looked at Aughr, at the coldness in his eyes, and knew the only way he was getting any mercy was by killing him. Hesitating, trying to find the right position to hold the spear, the man charged.

Taranis

Walking into Arena 7, an announcer was screaming about Taranis' achievements, where he was from, and other nonsense. "He killed four recruiters when he was taken, showing just how much of a fight he'll put up...I give you...Taranis an Dearg!!" The cheering was punctuated by confused mutterings...his lack of any sort of shirt seemed to put the group ill at ease...surely he wasn't foolish enough to take on someone without SOME protection! The announcer continued unabashed. "And, emerging from the Silver Door, we have a competitor from two cities over, known as the Gold Capital of the world! She was a martial arts teacher, though she didn't know much of the craft herself! I give you...Lynda Fon!" A rather strict-looking woman walked through the door, carrying a whip. Looking over at Taranis, she gave him a once-over, then turned to look at the announcer, who was getting on the platform that would take him out of danger. "Here we go...3...2...1...FIGHT!" Lynda unfurled the whip with a sharp crack. "Watch yourself, or you'll find yourself in the last embrace of your life," she warned.

Argent

The arena door opened, and Argent serenely walked into the open. The announcer for this arena was speaking in hushed tones for whatever reason. "He's a monk of the Klemstrian Monastery...who knows what he's capable of. I give you...Argent!" The crowd here seemed subdued, just like the announcer, as very little cheering occurred. The announcer, still being quiet, turned to the other side. "And coming from the Gold Door, a man who was convicted of several murders...someone you wouldn't want on your bad side...we stole him from death row, and now he's here to add more bodies to his name. I give you...Daniel Linle!" A heavily-muscled man walked out, glaring over at Argent, no warmth in his eyes. "THIS is what I get to kill? He'll be just a couple seconds." the man scoffed, pulling twin blades from their sheaths. The announcer was up in the air by this point, and whispered, "3...2...1...go." Without hesitation, Daniel charged at Argent, meaning to end it in one stroke.

Laura

Feeling fairly sick as she walked into the waiting corridor, Laura began trembling again, fear filling her. Unlike the previous night, she embraced the feeling, trying to actually increase the amount of terror she experienced. The door in front of her opened, and she stepped forward. The announcer for her arena was yelling, "As you no doubt know, this match has two of our youngest competitors this tournament! Emerging from the Silver Door, we have a girl of only 17 years, who was a last minute find by the recruiters in Baticul, the City of Light! Not a lot is known about why she was chosen, but rest assured that she'll put up a bit of a fight! I give you, Laura Krends!" the crowd applauded politely for her, while she stood there trying desperately to not look up at any of them. The announcer turned and continued his report. "And coming from the Gold Door, another 17 year old, albeit a boy. Brought from an orphanage in this very city, he almost slipped under our radar for a while longer. However, he's here, and I'm sure ready to fight! I give you, Randall Sandlark!" A boy, looking as nervous as Laura, came through, looking everywhere he could that didn't have a person occupying the area. He carried a sword, somewhat plain to look at. The announcer was safely out of the way, and the countdown began. "3...2...1...GO!" The boy looked over at Laura, and said in an undertone that somehow traveled across the arena to her, "I'm sorry...I don't want to kill you..." He began to move slowly to the right, and Laura mimicked his movement, keeping him in her view. Her heart pounding a thousand beats a second, she knew she couldn't avoid this any longer...it was kill...or be killed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The sunlight glaring off the sand floor of the arena nearly blinded Argent when the pitch black lifted and the world was plunged into light once more. Not wishing to appear weak to his opponent, Argent waited a few moments before he breathed deeply and strode out into the arena itself to the announcement of his name.

The Klemstrian refused to let the callous announcement of his Monastery get into his concentration. He wouldn't let this place break his will. The muted cheers of the crowd began to fade away as the announcer and his platform were lifted from the coliseum and Argent's opponent entered. The thumping of his heart in his chest was louder than the cries of the crowd, as was the breathing of his opponent as the man lifted his blades and charged. Each footfall the man made was as thunder in the night sky, an intense roar that grew closer and closer with each rumble.

Knowing full well that Daniel would cleave him in two if he stood still, Argent trusted himself to make the correct moves. Argent relinquished control of his body, which sprang forward like a rock from a catapult. As his walking gave way to running, Argent called upon his gift.

The Aerandir Linwëlin was first visible to those in the crowd and to Argent's opponent, as the deep black marks that traced up his exposed forearms from his hands shone with a bright white that was almost blinding when viewed to closely. In a flash, the black marks all over Argent's body filled with the color and then it cascaded from the intricate lines and onto his unmarked flesh. Argent appeared only as a blinding flash of white as he leaped forward, towards Daniel who had brought his sword up to try and stop him.

But when the ghostly figure came into contact with the blade he simply flowed around it, the blade slicing right through what should have been Argent's stomach, but there was no tell-tale jarring impact of sword on bone, no momentary resistance followed by screams of agony. Argent just went through the sword and then kept on coming, straight through Daniel's stomach. Argent shot out the other side of the man like an arrow fired through a piece of parchment, rolling as he did so and coming up on three points, his right hand cocked back. It was obvious to all that Argent could have but reached out and taken hold of a body part and crushed it in his grip if he'd wished.

"I wish not to fight you." Argent calmly told the fighter "If you surrender you will come to no harm, you have my word."

DeletedUser28032

Stepping upon the sands with the roar of the crowd washing over him like a tremendous wave Taranis gazed about himself before dropping to his knees and rubbing a handful of the sands into his palms, the musky scent of dirt, sweat and blood wafting up into his face.
Every fibre of being seemed to be pulsating violently, it felt as if his heart was about to explode and his lungs would tear their way out of his chest but it was not fear he was feeling. As a child his clan had come across a travelling circus he could still remember how he and the other children had stood petrified watching as a giant ape had tried to pull apart the iron bars of his cage, roaring as he shook them back and forth in rage...that was how Taranis felt as if something deep inside of him was desperately trying to get out.
The scraping of a gate catches his attention causing him to jump back onto his feet as his opponent stepped onto the sands, with pale skin and short black hair tied back into a severe bun, Lynda Fon looked more like a school mistress than a warrior but that was no reason to underestimate her, the long black whip snaking out with a vicious crack.
"Watch yourself, or you'll find yourself in the last embrace of your life" Taranis smiled the same smile he'd shown the blonde girl last night, it spoke of unpleasant thoughts and even more unpleasant deeds to come "A cursed man has no fear...now come let us dance" bringing the two wickedly curved blades together in a tremendous crash Taranis sprinted across the sands towards her the guttural roar coming from his throat drowned out by that of the audience.
Jerking back his head Taranis narrowly avoids losing his eyes as the womans whip cuts through the air before him, skidding within a shower of sand he quickly changes direction only to narrowly avoid the same fate once again.
Pacing back and forth like a caged animal Taranis eyes the woman and her fearsome weapon before charging once more only to bring his arm up to meet the whip, the long strip of leather wrapping itself tight about his forearm causing him to grimace with pain as it cuts deep into his flesh, blood running down his arm in tiny rivulets. Yet slowly to Lynda's horror the grimace turns into a smile of triumph as he brings his blade down upon the taught leather severing the whip almost in half.
Pausing long enough to unwrap the severed piece from about his arm Taranis looks up at his quarry with murder in his eyes "Now it is my turn" he snarls before once again hurling himself into the fight.

Deleted User - 819397

Argent

Daniel turned around in shock. Not only had the sword gone through this tattooed fool, but his own body had phased through like a ghost. He backed up quickly, out of range, sneering. "You think you can scare me, Monk? I think you're just trying to dissuade me from cutting you to ribbons. So you're even paler now than before. So what? Sooner or later you're going to taste my blades, and it'll be the last thing you ever feel. Come on, coward!" With that, he lunged again, swords swinging madly, planning on finding a body part...any body part, that he could hit.

Laura

Laura could not remember another time where she'd been so scared. Even with the gang she had maintained some sort of mental control over the situation...now, the fear was overwhelming, coming in waves. However, she knew that in order to access the power she had just discovered, she'd have to use that fear. She switched her rapier to her left hand, holding her right arm out to the side, prompting a flinch from her opponent as they continued to circle each other. She embraced the fear, then felt a clenching sensation in her stomach. In a voice scarcely audible above the hubbub in the stands, she began to whisper words she neither asked for or meant to say. "Fear...fear...fear...many people are afraid of storms...particularly thunder...thunder is caused by lightning...bring forth the power of lighting...fear...fear..." Suddenly, a flash of lightning struck her hand, a severe jolt of fear coursing through her at the same time. When the lightning had faded, a staff was in her outstretched hand. A crystal, clearly pulsing with electricity, was at the top. Laura casually tossed the rapier aside, clutching the staff...and knowledge of how to use it came in a flash. Pointing the tip straight at the boy, she let another wave of fear roll through her, and an accompanying bolt of lightning arced across the battlefield and slammed into her opponent. He got up quickly, shaking with aftershocks. He said something, but Laura couldn't hear it...nothing was audible, nothing truly felt, aside from her own fear, which boiled inside her like a weapon itself. The boy charged, and Laura turned the staff horizontally, readying herself for the impact.

DeletedUser13682

“Thank, you, Brother Argent. I’m glad the carts are helping out, and I’m glad you approve of my penmanship.” Ferruccio looked down at his hands. “I can sometimes feel the cane of the tutor, if I concentrate hard enough.” Ferruccio got up, and stretched his back. “Well, Brother Argent, it is getting near to curfew. I think I’ll go find Laura; that’s her name right?, before we have to be back in our cells.” Right before Ferruccio left, Argent asked if he could keep the wine. “Of course, Brother Argent. It is a gift from the Overlord himself, for being a beacon of hope and comfort to the scared conscripts, taken from their homes and family in the name of entertainment.” Ferruccio let a big grin form itself on his face for a moment, before heading toward the door. “Good night, Brother Argent. May we not face each other in the field of combat.”

A few steps before he left the cell, the jogger Laura entered, and was surprised by Ferruccio’s presence. She quickly apologized before exiting. “Don’t worry, you didn’t disturb anything. In fact, I am glad to see you.” Before he could say more, however, Argent spoke up, and indicated that Ferruccio’s time in this cell was over. “Of course, Brother Argent. I will be waiting outside. Once again, good night.” Ferruccio stepped into the hallway, and leaned against the wall, next to Argent’s cell entrance. For a few minutes he waited, whistling a bit, before a guard told him there was only ten minutes left until curfew, and that he should head back to his cell. Ferruccio sighed and headed back to his cell, arriving only a couple minutes before his door was boarded up for the night. Ferruccio blew out his candles, and groped for the bed, finding it, and laying down in it, instantly falling asleep.

In the morning, he was woken up by a guard pounding on his door. “Wake up, gladiator. You’re fighting today.” Ferruccio got up, and rummaged about his bags for the clothes he was to wear. Finding them, he set them out on his bed, then rang for the bath to be filled. After bathing, Ferruccio got his clothes on. He was wearing his khakis, a modified military uniform, given to him by a Major in the Dolomiti Guards. Grabbing his duster and pith helmet, Ferruccio headed over to the meal hall, and grabbed a breakfast of bacon and eggs on biscuit, with a glass of wine. After enjoying his meal, Ferruccio walked to the board, and looked for his name. He would be fighting in Arena 3 today, at about ten. Ferruccio headed over to a couple other arenas, where he watched those fights, then when his time neared, he headed to his arena.

Entering the indicated doorway, Ferruccio found himself in an armoury filled with weapons of all different kinds, but lacking nearly any defensive armour. “Take any weapons you want. If there’s something here we don’t have, ask for it. We’ll get it to you in time.” Ferruccio thought for a few moments, looking around. “I remember asking a soldier to grab a very specific sword from my bedchamber, a Milano Rapier. Bring it to me.” The armourer nodded, and went off to fetch the sword. A few minutes later, it was handed to him. Ferruccio nodded in thanks, and set sword and helmet down, as he put on his duster. Ferruccio then picked up the sword, and drew it from its sheath. It was his sword all right. It had the right feel, the right look, the right inscription Respice post te! Hominem te esse memento! Memento mori! (Look behind you, remember you are but a man, remember your mortality). “Thank you, armourer. May we meet each other after combat.”

Just then, Ferruccio was struck by the fact that he had to possibly kill somebody else, or he would be killed. He had years of sword training, by some of the best trainers in Appenninica. But he had hoped never to use his skills, or his power. Ferruccio knelt down, driving his sword into the ground, and gripping the blade, prayed, as the blade cut into his hands, and sent blood trickling down the blade. After this impromptu display of faith, Ferruccio got up, attached his sheath to his belt, put his sword away, and put on his pith helmet. “I am ready, armourer. Open the gate.” The armourer nodded, and opened the gate. Ferruccio walked through, and as the gate to the arena opened, he was dazzled by the sudden brightness of the sun bouncing off the sand.

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: Sorry about that, I forgot to warn you guys that I was off sailing up until yesterday. I will post now)

Frank ate the dinner silently and headed back to his room. He threw himself into bed having done sit-ups and then some pull ups and push ups off the door frame. He briefly wondered who he would be fighting but decided not to worry, he caught a goods night's sleep and the next morning he got up and did more exercises, including several exercises to do with his power. He then washed himself down completely and practised some combat manoeuvres. He then had breakfast and waited to hear who he was fighting.

Deleted User - 819397

(Johann, sorry for somewhat excluding you in Argent's room...I was just getting antsy because we had two people already "sleeping" so I wanted to move things forward. My apologies. Zem, you need to say what your character does all the way until walking into the arena, so I know what equipment you have for sure, your mindset, etc. Don't worry about the name of your opponent quite yet (look at how the rest of us managed without it)...I haven't even thought of the name yet hah. Welcome back though!)

Ferruccio

As his eyes adjusted to the glare of the arena, Ferruccio's name was being screamed by an announcer. He realized that he'd missed most of his introduction, which probably hadn't been too long because the recruiters hadn't bothered to learn much about him at all. However, he was in time to hear the introduction of his opponent. "And coming through the Silver Door, we have a man who fled his town when the recruiters showed up, leaving everyone he loved behind to save himself. We caught him though, and now he fights for us! A real danger with a battle-ax...I give you, Riley Jonds!" A rather lanky man walked through the door, glowering around. He was indeed carrying a large battle-ax, and upon seeing Ferruccio, and more particularly his already cut hand, he laughed. "And here I thought this was going to be difficult, fighting in the arena...turns out, I'm against a person who can't avoid cutting himself on his own weapon!" The announcer was in the air by this time, and the countdown began. "3...2...1...Fight!"

Laura

The blade of Randall's sword swung in a heavy arc at Laura, who desperately turned the angle the staff was at to counteract it. The resulting connection of their weapons had explosive results. Both of Laura's arms became so badly jarred from the impact she thought for a moment they had dislocated, and Randall was thrown back by an eruption of electric energy that had traveled from the staff, to the sword, to him. Trying to get some feeling back in her now numb arms, Laura retreated slightly. A thin trail of smoke now rose from Randall, the result of two lighting surges slamming into him. He realized that Laura was trying to recover from his attack, so he jumped up and pressed his advantage. She tried to move out of the way, but gasped in pain as the sword cut a line into her left arm. Her fear of the situation only intensified, and of its own accord her right arm moved, slamming the crystal of the staff into the side of her assailant. A crack of lightning exploded from the tip, launching the boy away from her, jerking as arcs of electricity coursed through him. Laura clutched her wound as best she could while still holding onto her staff, not truly inclined to press the fight at the moment. Randall got up, a little slower than last time, clutching his side, where his tunic now had a black hole in it. He yelled something at her, but sounds still weren't registering, so the effect was lost. He began to move again, and the battle continued.

(Forgot to do this last time, but bio updated)

DeletedUser

(OOCL If you need help with names Regal, try this, I found it a while back, and it is quite simply brilliant; http://rinkworks.com/namegen/)

Aughr snarled at the mention of his tribe as savages, did these ignorant city dwellers know nothing? The Dauhtor were far more sophisticated than these fools, a society advanced so far that they had learned through centuries of hardship that death, or Charsryn, was nothing to fear, and that emotion was pointless.
These thoughts were pushed from his mind as his opponent, a fat man carrying a spear and a shield. A shield? how cowardly were these people? Aughr scoffed and notched an arrow to his bow, he sidestepped the fat man's clumsy charge and pulled his bowstring back to his ear and let go of the string, muttering 'Jytnh Yt Nihen." as he went.

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: Ok then Regal, fire away. Also, just an idea but how about you edit the first post with a tournament board and then you can update it as we go along. just draw one in paint and then edit it and re-load it as necessary.)

Frank heard his name drawn and singled off, he sharpened his two swords, a medium hand and a half sword and a short sword for when he needed to get in close, he though back to the day he had been taken. He had been hunting in the forests checking his traps when a tiger charged at him, he drew his sword and charged, he used his power and the tiger was dead with it's head smashed in and it's back cleaved in half, (My power is not insta kill or anything like that, I'm just keeping it secret.) as Frank landed twenty men stepped out of the shadows with bows aimed at him, even with his power he could not evade or fight them. They must have used the tiger as a distraction to set up the ambush. One man stepped forward. "You have been chosen for a great honour, you have an ability that is great, you will fight in the arena." Frank flinched at the name, he stood where he was though and did not move otherwise. "If you do not comply you will be shot." the man said again. "Drink this." and he held out a cup. Sleeping draught Frank thought, so that they could get him tied up nicely in a cage. Frank took the cup and said one thing. "Fine, but my weapons come with me." and drank the whole cup. He collapsed to the floor and the men lowered their bows and set about tying him up whilst one of them removed his weapons and their scabbards and when they arrived at the cart put them in the cart but out of Frank's reach. Frank woke up in his room, his swords, his shield and his bow and his quiver all sitting across the room from him. Someone bumped past Frank snapping him out of his memories. He shrugged them off, return to his room and grabbed his kit and went down to the practice range where he practiced close combat and chargin at an enemy. He wasnt sure but he thought there might be one stage where a two groups of gladiators were pitched against each other so he practice fighting a group of dummies too. He then heard his name called and having refilled his quiver he set off down the path to the arena 2 (OOC: believe that's not in use, if it is then Lr just edit it to one that is) and he heard. "And now! He's from the Great Forests of Klemestre, with nothing else known about him he is a shadowy figure but we know he killed a tiger in ten second flat and here he is! Frank Jefferson!" and Frank walked out the gates to the screaming of hundreds if not thousands of people wanting a good blood thirsty fight.

DeletedUser13682

How disappointing, Ferruccio missed his announcement. That was bad form. He’ll work on it next fight, if there was a next fight. Then his opponent came out, a tall man with long limbs, and wielding a battle axe. Mr. Jonds taunted Ferruccio, revealing that Riley hadn’t heard of any of the Appenninican regions and their traditions. It also revealed he was overconfident. There would be no surrendering from this man. Ferruccio thought about strategy while circling with Mr. Jonds. The battle axe was large, heavy, powerful. If Ferruccio got hit with that weapon, it would mean the loss of limb and life. The important part though was if he got hit. Ferruccio and his rapier were very fast, especially compared to the battle axe. Although not as powerful, the Milano Rapier could permanently incapacitate limbs and deal quick death, especially if stabbed through a vital organ.

As the combatants circled closer together, Ferruccio came up with what he thought was a good strategy. He would play off of every weakness his enemy had, using them to his advantage. His overconfidence would be boosted by Ferruccio’s purposeful display of lack of skill, sloppily holding his rapier and barely dodging the axe blows, adding a few staged missteps here and there. Once Mr. Jonds was extremely overconfident, and had become sloppy, Ferruccio would strike. He could almost see it in his head, Mr. Jonds would strike from above, bringing the axe down to cleave Ferruccio in two. As the axe came down, Ferruccio would dodge, and all of a sudden turn into a sword master, at least to the appearance of Mr. Jonds. In truth, Ferruccio was a great sword fighter, but he hadn’t had the decades of training and experience that true sword masters have. As the axe was brought down, Ferruccio would slash the back with his rapier, hopefully cutting into the spine, and making the legs inoperable. Then a quick stab into the side, hopefully piercing vital organs and killing Mr. Jonds. If not, there was the decapitation strike, taught to him by an executioner after a week of begging when Ferruccio was 15.

The fighters got closer together. Soon they were close enough to exchange blows. Ferruccio, looking scared (in reality this was part of the ruse), gulped, and prepared to execute the strategy. As Mr. Jonds was about to strike, Ferruccio executed a dodge, in appearance a very clumsy move that almost cost Ferruccio his footing. Stumbling about, Ferruccio pretended to nearly drop his sword from having to dodge. This continued for a few more minutes, with Ferruccio just dodging axe blow after axe blow. Then, Ferruccio felt the time had come. The blow he had envisioned was coming, it was time to end this fight.

DeletedUser

As the words came to Argent from across the distance, he knew he would have to kill this man. The last thing he wished to do was take this man's life, though from his announcement it seemed the man was most deserving of it. And as Argent's powers receded back to the markings - leaving his body vulnerable to attacks - he knew that surrender was not an option either. Argent slightly inclined his head in understanding and resignation, the his code dictated that he defend life, but it also allowed for defense of self, though this was almost unheard of in The Monastery.

Then again Argent thought, as he stepped away from one of Daniel's attacks The Monastery is gone.

Daniel's next attacks sent Argent dodging backwards in a series of flips, rolls and dives. The man's swords were simply to fast to parry with his claws unless perfectly positioned. Argent knew that if he could get both of the blades coming around in just the right positions that he could grab them and disarm his opponent, but doing so was going to be difficult.

Stepping out of the way of another slash of Daniel's blade, Argent only just brought his right claw up in time to deflect a downward slash meant to cleave him down the middle. Sparks flew as his claws came into contact with a follow up slash, the bits of flame pattering about the ground and showering each fighter. Ducking under yet another blow, Argent saw an opportunity and took it.

Without calling upon the power, Argent reached out with his right claw and drug them through the meat of Daniel's right leg as he rolled out of his reach. The monk's breath came slow and steady, his meditative state still guiding his every move, every small motion he made. Though even in this state the code guided Argent, while it would be easy to simply call upon the
Aerandir Linwëlin, that power was sacred and only to be used under the most dire of circumstances. Argent would only use it again if he had no other choice.

Deleted User - 819397

(Ok, so it looks to me like Braet and Johann are controlling their own fight, Tiger and Peril are having me do the other character, and Zem is undecided (as I haven't started him yet). If this is correct, all is good. If not, PM me and I'll edit in/out things as needed!)

Frank

The announcer turned to the other side. "And coming through the Gold Door, we have a man who we know very little about...just that he's arena-worthy...here's Zytack Gonsolnad!" A man walked in, carrying two lances, each one humming with some sort of energy. "Hello, victim," he hissed across to Frank. The announcer got out of the way, and then "3...2...1...FIGHT!"

Aughr

Drake, more by accident than anything else, caught the arrow on his shield. He jumped, scared out of his wits. "I don't want this...I don't want any of this...they won't let me leave unless I kill you...so die!" He clumsily threw the spear at Aughr, hoping to kill him, but the spear fell woefully short. Realizing his error, he cowered behind his shield, trying to inch forward to grab his weapon again.

Argent

Daniel screamed in pain and rage as Argent tore out a sizable portion of his leg. He continued to scream, never forming words, but the malice was clear. He set one of his swords in the ground, then slowly rose, using the sword as support. He was wounded now, so he'd be more careful. He didn't have mobility anymore, but he still had 360 degree rotation, so long as he was holding his planted sword, and he still had his second sword...he'd swing in precise blows, aimed at places designed to inflict maximum damage. He'd kill Argent yet.

Laura

Laura wasn't knowledgable about medicine, so she didn't know how bad the cut on her arm was. All she knew is it hurt terribly, and that kept her fear rooted in place, something she needed in order to keep the staff going. Her opponent (she'd already forgotten his name) was acting nervous, probably deciding whether or not to charge again. Almost without her wishing it, the staff rose and shocked him again, and this time she heard him scream as the lightning coursed through him. This was so sick...having to fight like this...either way a young life would be ended. This was insane.

Not for the first time, she marveled about her power...her fear caused this to happen...it summoned this staff...and once it showed up, she knew instinctively what to do. The stronger the fear, the stronger the blast. The only thing was...it made her lose herself in her fear...the power ran rampant, attacking the source of the fear unreservedly. That hadn't happened yet, but it was only a matter of time...each time it took a little longer to reach it...each gang member she'd tried to save for just a little longer, trying to prevent taking a life even thought that life was threatening her...but eventually...she'd lose control. Realizing that she was already starting to succumb to the fear, she forced her mouth open and yelled, "Please! Surrender now...I won't be able to save you otherwise..." Her opponent looked at her like she was crazy...yelled something she couldn't hear because of the fear rushing through her, but she could tell from his expression he thought she was bluffing...that her power was about to run out...he didn't believe her.

Randall charged...

And Laura lost control.