The Fall From Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Shyther
"All the murders occurred in the sidestreets around the castle walls, I do not know the details of the guards, but tomorrow I'm sure that I could find out, as for the victim's houses, they all have quarters within the castle, although they each have private estates scattered throughout the kingdom. Is that all?"

DeletedUser31931

Oren walked after Raerrith and was annoyed as Crux went babbling on about random stuff to the High Inquisitor. Crux wasn't a proper inquisitor and he didn't know why Raerrith kept him on board. He hoped that Raerrith would execute Crux when Raerrith threatened to but alas no, he wouldn't. Finally when Raerrith managed to get rid of Crux Oren smiled. He walked forward to Raerrith and checked if Briccone was still there (OOC: I don't know what Braet wants to do with Briccone so if he is there Oren signals him up to listen to the meeting and if not then Oren just carries on anyway.) and then said "I checked with my armourer to see if he knew anything about the dagger." Oren pulled out the dagger as he said this. "And if you look at the blade" and he ran his fingers down the blade "apparently it is made in one of the eastern kingdoms which means that either we have a foreigner, someone who has taken extensive leave from the kingdom recently or that they are being smuggled in by bandits in which case we could see if they remember selling a large order to anyone. Maybe Briccone could check that Sir. What do you think?"

DeletedUser

Raerrith
Raerrith listened intently to Oren's explanation. Their killer might be foreign. "Right, sounds like we have a foreign plot on our hands. as to Briccone, yes he should check out shipments tomorrow." Raerrith turned to Briccone. "Now, how did you get on?"

DeletedUser31931

Oren listened to Raerrith and then replied "Sir, we may have a foreign plot on our hands. We don't know yet it still could be one of the noblemen. Maybe we should check if any of them has family in the East or if they are eastern themselves."

DeletedUser

Crux confused by the conversations of Raerrith and Oren,simply nodded in acceptation. He was simply baffled by the latter's reasoning that a foreign plot may be involved and was even interested in this case even more, since it was connected to the Eastern Kingdoms. Crux kept on staring at the dagger which took twelve lives in a few months. Crux said to Raerrith, "If it was of Eastern origin then we should send our Inquisitors to the Eastern Kingdoms to investigate more about the dagger." Crux went into deep thought and kept on rubbing his chin in search of any answer. After hearing what Oren said, Crux replied, "Oren is right.We should do that since the murders could have happened to inherit the nobility or for land,money,etc."

DeletedUser28032

(OOC: hmm with a Thievery skill of 5 I'd argue that you wouldn't have noticed Zem... oh well I can use this to my advantage;))

As Oren scolded him, removing the poorly hidden dagger from his sleeve Gabriel moved quickly in order to retrieve his real target "Of course I can look after myself but only if I know I have to...you were supposed to be watching my back" Gabriel retorted swopping one small bag of coins from Oren’s belt for another purposefully pitching his voice louder than necessary to keep his attention focused on the irate thief as he hid Oren’s wages in amongst his person.
Hiding the smirk on his face he fell in behind as Raerith and Oren talked; a man unknown to him also joining the small group of people, Gabriel tried to decide what to spend his newly acquired wealth on whilst also deciding not to be around once Oren discovered the small bag full of lead tokens he'd exchanged them for.
"No ones seen the killer but that isn't surprising...however it would appear that our dead armourer was supplying an army so we may have a bigger problem on our hands than we originally thought" Gabriel replied when prompted to speak by the high inquisitor "I can try and track down any weapons shipments and ask some fences if they remember seeing that weapon...shouldn't be too hard seen as it is rather distinctive" it would probably require another chat with Carbos but it was a small price to pay if it meant saving his hide from a potential uprising.

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: Groove the dagger that I have isn't the dagger that was used in the murders. It just happened to be a dagger that was thrown at me.)

Oren listened in to Crux and straight away said something "Crux that is definitely wrong. There has been no unexpected claims of the noble's lands and they have all been received by their respective heirs so you are wrong on that point. Also I doubt this warrants sending an Inquisitor on a journey to the east as that would take about two weeks either way in which point something critical could happen so unless it is one of our best leads I doubt we will. Of course if you want to and Raerrith permits it you are free to but if we go rushing over there with no idea of what we are walking into we could end up dead for all we know. The last thing that puts a flaw in your plan is High Mage Nyburn, he had no suitable lands or anything that someone could inherit and he had no conclusive theories about the murders. I could see if I can accquire some information from a certain black market smuggler I have used in the past when trying to find criminals. He's not the best and it usually takes a little gold to loosen his tongue but he might have some usefull info." At this point Oren reached for his purse and saw Briccone stiffen. He opened, saw the lead coins and grabbed Briccone. "Where is it?" he asked as he held the man up by his throat his other hand grabbing Briccone's two hands. "My money, where did you put it?"

DeletedUser

Raerrith
Raerrith listened to the others talking, he was particularily interested in Briccone's statement, about Estardor providing arms for a potential uprising.
This was most worrying.
Suddely, Oren attacked Briccone, accusing him of stealing, nobles and servants around them turned their heads to watch as they passed.
Raerrith turned to face them both. "INQUISITOR SMIL!" Raerrith roared, he grabbed ahold of Oren and wrenched him away from Briccone.
"I gather that Briccone has stolen monies from you. Briccone, if this is the case, return them. IMMEDIATELY." Raerrith ordered. He would have no dissent in his ranks.
Meanwhile behind them, Shyther watched from a few feet away, the corner of his mouth curling into a smile.

DeletedUser28032

Gabriel’s single eye blazed as he tried to stare down the man holding his throat, his hand instead going for those gripping his throat instead reaching for the stiletto on his belt "I have taken nothing...it isn't my fault if you were foolish enough to leave your gold where it could be easily picked!" he snarls through gritted teeth his hand finally grasping the ivory handle of his dagger, drawing the long needle like castle forged blade.
The stilettos blade was razor sharp and with beautiful silver and ivory handle and had originally belonged to a wealthy sell sword. He had only ever drawn blood with it a few times and only then in self defence instead preferring to use it to lend weight to threats and intimidation where charm and persuasion failed "Release me before I give you a new button hole" he snarls lightly pressing the blades tip against Oren’s stomach.
However the blade quickly vanished as Rearrith bellowed at the two of them demanding that he returned the stolen money, how dare he, who did he think he was? Gabriel was no lackey blindly following the Kings with suicidal loyalty...No Gabriel was only here to avoid a cell "I have taken nothing...the fools been running around the streets all day...plenty of time for him to have had his pockets picked...now do you want me to track that knife's owner or not?"

DeletedUser13682

Daniel arrived at the base of operations, with Dist following close behind in that strange chair of his. Arriving in the courtyard (I hope I have that right), Daniel saw that a fight was in the process of breaking out between Oren and Briccone. The only thing keeping them from trying to kill each other was High Inquisitor Raerrith, demanding Briccone give back the money he stole. Daniel didn’t know why they kept him around; he was a thief and a liar, and deserved a slow and painful death, not a position as an illustrious Inquisitor. Oren, on the other hand, was a good guy. He had even saved a retired Inquisitor’s life once. Daniel respected that.

“High Inquisitor Raerrith, once you’re done solving this little issue,” Daniel used particular emphasis on the last two words, and stared right at Briccone, “I believe I have some information that might be useful in our investigation.” Daniel cleared his throat, and began again. “There was a hooded figure who started a very large brawl right before the first murder. This was distracting enough to draw everyone’s attention away from the scene of the murder. While nobody I talked to was able to give me a description of the person, except that they wore a black hooded cloak, I was able to find out about a man named Gharon Rusup. He might be able to tell us more about this hooded figure.”

Deleted User - 819397

Dist arrived in the courtyard along with Daniel. Unlike his companion, who's body language clearly showed that he disapproved, Dist felt a sense of glee. "Now now, children, be good or you won't get a treat, hehehehehehehe," he called out as they arrived, his high-pitched, half-insane voice filled with mirth. He let Daniel explain what they had found out, partially since he didn't feel like talking, and partially because as he had been acting as a lookout he didn't have as firm a grasp on it as the other man did. Instead, he looked around, muttering to himself about something or other.

The part of his mind that had returned to sanity realized that a lot of what he did seemed crazy, and that surely some of the other Inquisitors weren't fond of it. He knew if the rest of his mind went again, they wouldn't hesitate to throw him right back in the asylum. He also figured that his mental state had been screwed up because his legs had stopped working. Therefore, he had to get his legs back in functioning order to avoid ever losing his complete sanity again.

At this point, the crazy part of his mind became bored with its random muttering and started messing up his thought processes again. He tried to keep listening, and yet he couldn't help but animate the grass under Briccone's feet to tie itself in knots around his shoes. Ooh, what fun it would be when he tried to leave this impromptu meeting...he couldn't help but giggle a little. He then quickly returned to listening, so that it would appear as though he hadn't done it. What fun!

DeletedUser

Crux was still with Oren,Briconne and Raerrith when Oren and Briconne were fighting and Raerrith was telling Briconne to give back Oren's lunch money. Crux then kept on listening to their theories and also tried to believe what the liar Briconne was telling. When twon unknown personalities joined their conversation, he couldn't help but think why they forgot even he was present there. He listened to the less suspicious man murmuring about some Gharon Rusup and a brawl while he saw the suspicious man trying to do some unusual voodoo thing. Crux was interested in the sources of the tall man's words and approved of him.

Crux then told Raerrith that someone should go to the place where the brawl occurred and search for any evidence or witnesses. When he was telling this, he looked upon Oren and Briconne, still looking to murder themselves. Crux then annoyed by this conversation, went over and sat on a chair, munching on his jayberry fruit.

DeletedUser31931

When Raerrith made him let go of Briccone Oren was furious, Briccone said that anyone could have picked his pocket "Yet I knew that the money was in my purse when I entered the castle about five steps before you tripped me up Briccone. So hand it back, now." Oren's voice turned threatening and his hand went to his sword hand. If Briccone said no he would find a sword at his throat. He liked the thief well enough but didn't appreciate it when he stole stuff from him. He smiled for half a second as the grass around Briccone's feet tied itself up. He liked Daniel, a good and honest man and good to have beside you in a fight, and Dist was.... well Dist was a bit strange but he was ok, and if he could be bothered in a fight then he could be very good.

DeletedUser

(OOC: Johann actually they're all in a corridor)

Suddenly, Daniel and Dist entered the corridor and moved towards them, Dist began muttering to Oren and Briccone, whilst Daniel explained that a hooded figure was seen at the murder sight, and that they had a potential lead.
Crux then suggested that someone should go to the place where the brawl occured and look for witnesses. "Er, no, that's what Daniel and Dist have been doing." Raerrith replied. Crux then and sat on a small wooden bench.
Oren snarled at Briccone to give him his money back, Raerrith saw Oren's lhands go towards teh hilt of his sword.
Raerrith acted like clockwork, drawing his broadsword in a quick motion, he pointed it's sharp tip at Oren.
"If you go for that sword then may the gods forgive me for running you through." Raerrith snarled, he moved so that he could point the sword at Briccone. "The same applies to you Briccone, now if you don't hand over Oren's cash, if you have indeed stolen it, then you'll be in the lock-up." Raerrith ordered. Briccone was an excellent theif, too good, this wasn't teh first time his actions had caused dissent.

DeletedUser31931

Oren's hand dropped down as Raerrith's sword went to his throat. Raerrith then told Briccone to hand the money back and Oren smiled as he thought of an idea. "Well then Briccone, if you are so adamant that you haven't stolen it you'll be fine with me searching you for my wallet. Won't you?" He said, this would prove that Briccone had stolen it. He knew that it was Briccone because of the attempt to steal the dagger that had supposedly gone wrong although because why Briccone had tried to steal the dagger had been a mystery to Oren so now he understood. He never wanted the dagger he just wanted Oren's money.

DeletedUser28032

Watching as the large sword swung to point at him, Gabriel hesitated for all of a few seconds knowing that the high inquisitor probably wasn't bluffing yet determined not to lose his ill gotten gains "No you had lead when you entered the castle...its an old trick so you don't spot the weight difference...I have taken nothing" a firm and constant denial...that’s what he needed to do Raerrith had already used the word "if" when mentioning the money all he had to do was convince him and the others could hang for all he cared.
When Oren suggested that he should search his pockets a derisive sneer came to the thief's face "What so that you can claim my money as your own? I think not friend even I've used that con before...Now if you will excuse me I have a weapons shipment and an eastern throwing knife to track down" making to walk off Gabriel staggers his hand flying out to steady himself on the wall as his feet refused to move more than a few inches.
Looking down he spots the grass weaved about his boots coming out from between the flagstones before looking up at the half deranged mage "Oh very amusing...would you be so kind as to release me?" he asked Dist with a perfectly dead pan voice, his dramatic exit now well and truly spoilt.

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: I don't think I'm god-modding/meta-gaming but if I am tell me in flash and I will edit it.)
Oren heard Briccone and said "Well then you will either have two purses or in your purse will be my exact amount of money." Briccone attempted to storm away and Oren laughed as he fell on his face as he silently thanked Dist for that. Then in a flash Oren stooped over Briccone and pulled back his cloak and there was his purse. "If there is two gold, 55 silver and some bronze in this purse then it is mine." He pulled the purse from Briccone's belt as he talked, he opened it up and counted out the exact amount of money he had stated. "The purse is mine, how would I know the amount of money Briccone would carry?" he looked at Raerrith for an answer to his question as he put his purse back in there and this time tucked it back into his belt in a fashion that it would be almost impossible to remove it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Meanwhile, Crux just sat on the wooden chair munching fruits and enjoying a good brawl between Oren and Briconne. When Briconne fell down and smashed his face to the ground, Crux couldn't stop himself from laughing. The thief was indeed an excellent one but he couldn't escape Dist's sorcery and Oren's whatever it was. Crux asked Raerrith, "Do you have anything for me to do? I can't watch these boys fighting over something petty all day long."
Crux then got up from his chair and asked him whether he should go to the victim's houses and ask questions about them with anyone or not. He said, "It will be a good idea since we might get the suspects along with their motives. So, what do you think? Should I go with someone or not?" Crux then sat down on his chair looking very bored.

DeletedUser

Raerrith
Raerrith stood by as Dist secured Briccone with his magic, before Oren took Briccone's purse and predicted the exact number of coins that would be inside, before proving his case.
"It seems that Oren is right." Said Raerrith slowly. "Take your money Oren. now Dist, release Briccone."
Crux asked him if he could go and search the victim's houses.
Raerrith turned to reply. "Might I remind you all that it is nighttime, tomorrow we must pursue the investigation, but now we must guard the king. Come!" Raerrith ordered, making his statement clear, he turned and began to stride down the long corridors, heading for the throne room, hoping that the others were behind him, he continued his walk.
Eventually he arrived at the giant wooden doors that lead into the room, they were open, guards stood at either side whilst noblemen moved into the room.
Raerrith barged through the crowd and stepped into the room.
The feasting hall was large, royal banners and tapestries lined the walls, great oak feasting tables were situated around the room, with masses of food laid upon them.
At one end of the room sat the king on his throne in front of one such table, talking with some of his aides.
Raerrith turned around to face the other Inquisitors. "Right, you know what to do, mingle about with the crowds, eat and drink what you must, but do not succumb to drunkedness. We are on duty, watch out for threats, if you see a threat or something suspicious, notify me immediately." Raerrith ordered. He turned back and began to move through the crowds, music filled the air as the royal bards played their tunes.
Laughter and chatter also filled Raerrith's ears, coming from all directions. This was an Inquisitor's worst nightmare, it would be easy for an assassin to mingle with the crowd before drawing his weapon and making his attack, and all without anyone spotting him.
Keeping his eyes peeled, Raerrith moved through the room, heading for the King.
Eventually he reached the King's table and Raerrith bowed down before him.
"Sire, I and the other Inquisitors have arrived."
The King turned to face him. "Good, good! How progresses the case?"
"Well, my lord, we have a lead and are pursuing it to the best of our abilities." Raerrith replied as he stood back up.
"Excellent! Now, come feast with me Raerrith." The King laughed.
"I am honoured sire." Raerrith signalled a servant to bring him a chair. The chair was duly brought forth and Raerrith sat upon it.
He took hold of a leg of meat and began to chew slowly, half listening to the chatter of the King and his aides next to him, whilst his eyes moved around the room, searching for threats.

DeletedUser31931

Oren smiled and followed Raerrith down the hallway leaving Dist to untie his charge as Dist saw fit. He listened to the orders and nearly groaned, almost nothing had happened so far apart from when the Duke of some town or other had got drunk and violent near the king yet still Raerrith insisted that all of them were there. If at least one person was off looking for stuff some of the best clues could be found at night because that is when a thief or whoever is less cautious. Still Oren mingled into the crowd and sat down to eat some roast chicken whilst casually eavesdropping on the local conversation catching snatches of different conversations "so of course everyone knew that she was cheating on him but Samuel still refused to believe it...." whilst at the same time "So the price of arrows have risen so much recently we barely get anyone on the hunts with bows these days. I'm considering starting an arrow crafting thing with my expertise, at least that might bring in some money." and back to the cheating scandal conversation as it got more heated "but in the end he found out when he walked in on her kissing one of the customers. He kicked her out and that was the end of it." Beginning to get a headache from the conversations Oren stood up and crossed the room. Leaning back into the shadows of a balcony, he kept an eye out for Briccone who would almost undoubtedly be looking for revenge what with Oren and Dist having humiliated him publicly. With the other part of his brain he scanned for suspicious activity after about five minutes he got a break. A noble in a leather hunting jacket and riding uniform walked in with several pretty ladies dripping on his arm. Oren wasn't interested in that though, he was interested in the five daggers the man had concealed in his jacket, the slight bulge was the first clue the second was a tell-tale glint from the jacket for a second or so, a blink or you'll miss it opportunity. Leaving his spot he worked his way through the crowd whilst keeping an eye on the noble as the noble moved towards the King. He slipped up next to Raerrith and said "The man in the leather hunting jacket and green riding gear with the ladies on his arm, he has about five daggers concealed on his body Sir. I'd recommend keeping an eye on him." with that said into Raerrith's ear Oren slipped back away before Raerrith could reply standing about five metres behind him watching the noble and keeping an eye roaming just in case he was a distraction with part of him listening out in case Raerrith should decide to call Oren back again as was the agreed method. If Raerrith didn't call him back in two minutes Oren would slip off into the crowds checking for other threats again. Maybe stumble into the noble in question but he wouldn't be able to steal all five daggers at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.