The Fall From Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

'Enjoy the feast.' The High Inquisitor had said but Krane knew that wouldn't happen. He thought Raerrith probably knew it too. Krane was on duty and duty always came first. He took a position at the end of the hall, close to one of the side entrances. There he kept a close eye on people entering and leaving. It wouldn't hurt to speak to the nearby guards either. They were young but well turned out and Krane was impressed by their solid stance. 'Tell me,' he said to the closest of them, 'What is the talk in the barraks these days? Please speak frankly.'

DeletedUser25825

The Scourge continued down the corridor and narrowed her eyes as she heard the sounds of revelry coming from the great hall. Within that ruckus, she thought she heard the booming voice of her king, so she altered her original course to head in that direction. As she entered the final corridor that led up to the great hall, her suspicions were confirmed by the sheer number of guards lining the walls. The guards did not appear distracted by what they were not taking part in, so The Scourge summarized Raerrith must also be present.

The Scourge waved her free chalky white hand as she approached the end of the corridor and the guards at the doors pulled them open as she whisked into the main hall. The Scourge paused once she was inside the main hall and frowned at the sheer magnitude of people, and the perceived drunkenness of many. She immediately picked Raerrith out and began to move in his direction. Even in their state, dawning recognition of The Scourge's return was noticed, and people in front of her parted like wheat to the scythe as she cut her way through the revelers.

She sidled up to Raerrith and turned so that she could face the crowd, while keeping the king in sight. She murmured, "I have returned as requested High Inquisitor. Is there any reason to believe the king is in more danger than we always expect he is in?" It was a simple question, which she suspected either two answers for. The usual, or the more coded answer the inquisitors would share when it was time to truly be at their best.

DeletedUser

The Guard
"What is the talk in the barracks these days? Please speak frankly." Asked Sir Krane.
The young guard swallowed, before replying; "Sir, Royal Guardsmen only speak of our duty. Sir." The guard said briskly,

Raerrith
"I have returned as requested High Inquisitor. Is there any reason to believe the king is in more danger than we always expect he is in?"
Raerrith turned to look at the mask that lay underneath the deep black hood of The Scourge.
The High Inquisitor beckoned for her to follow him, not saying a word, he moved out of the throngs of courtiers, and into the shadows of a pillar.
Satisfied that they would not be overheard. Raerrith began to murmur his response; "Over the last month eleven people have been murdered, the first was a weapons merchant, who had just sold a massive amount of arms, over the next few weeks, nine noblemen were murdered in the backstreets just outside of the castle. Then Inquisitor High Mage Nybairn was murdered. Only today I and Inquisitor Cartridge were attacked in Tonll Street, the assassin managed to escape, although Inquisitor Smil got hold of several of the assassin's weapons, a crossbow, and a throwing knife, the crossbow was stolen from the Royal Armoury but a week ago, and the knife is from the Eastern Lands, probably Rhrandur, and as you know, Rhrandur had it's king assassinated not that long ago." Raerrith paused, before continuing; "The theft of the crossbow was reported to Nybairn, and I think that may have something to do with his demise. I have not told the others, but I fear revolution is afoot." Raerrith concluded.
Everyone in the kingdom knew what would come with revolution, first the king would be dethroned, then all those that served the king would be massacred, before a new ruler was crowned. If the king died, then everbody in the castle would die soon after.

DeletedUser

Crux kept on observing every thing that moved, every flicker, every scream for celebration and every glass broken, very closely. He even saw a man fully dressed in the inquisitorial uniform. He though that he was one of the guards who showed no movement but stood still. Those kind of guards made him laugh.
Crux then continued observing Oren and Vorashti. He couldn't help but laugh at Oren's tricks to gain information. He knew that he was getting no where with it. Crux then had an eye on everyone, especially Vorashti and the King. He watched them as if they were his next targets. So keen, that he could even find out when Vorashti was out of juice and needed refill because of his change in throat contractions and expansions. Crux murmured to himself, "All are easy targets. Termination is very easy but escaping is very hard. If an enemy was here, he must find a way to kill the King and be able to escape without being noticed. If I were the assassin, I would first kill the cook in the kitchen who keeps on walking in the balcony because he is smoking and then slowly poison the royal cake. Every Inquisitor including Raerrith will test it and then fall down, knocked unconscious. Then there would be panic and the King's bodyguards will cover him up. Then I would take a crossbow and shoot down the one covering the King from a well enough height and then kill the King. I could do it but something is missing, the equation is still missing a vital variable-- the king's sorceress. I won't be able to poison her because she may be immune to it or caste some unusual spell to protect herself. The enemy probably won't make a move unless she is here." Before he could say another word, he spotted the sorceress, dark as death and terrifying as pain. There was a reason why everyone were afraid of her. It was because of her mystifying looks and demonic aura around her. Although everyone were afraid of her, Crux grew a liking to the sense of enemity and hostility.
Crux then walked towards her, when she was near Raerrith and politely said, "Hey!" with an usual evil grin on his face.

DeletedUser28032

Hearing Leo's voice coming from behind him Gabriel offers the thief an evil smile, the scars on his face adding to the effect as he spoke "Dist took something from me so I am going to take something from him...I am going to take his mind" it was a simple enough plan but one that would take several days to take effect, but that was alright Gabriel was used to playing the long game.
Picking up an open book from beside the mages bed Gabriel returns it to the shelf and replaces it with another one of a similar colour binding, leaving it open in roughly the same place so he mage wouldn’t notice at first glance.
He continues to move and replace items seemingly at random for several minutes before walking out of the door and back into the corridor locking the door behind him. It would take a while even for Dist, a man whose sanity was currently teetering on the brink to start noticing that things weren't where he left them and assume that his mind was playing tricks on him and so Gabriel would have to have to repeat the process the following day along with performing a few more elaborate tricks.
"Right lets go, funs over we have work to do" Gabriel said as be began to once again stride down the long stone corridors only to abruptly stop and turn to face Leo "Oh and if you so much as breath a word of this to anyone then I promise you they will never find all of your body parts" his single eye gleamed menacingly in the torchlight as his black gloved hand gently caressed the handle of his knife the look on his face easily portraying the fact that he wasn’t messing around, before continuing to walk on down the corridor in silence.

The cold night air bit deep into his bones causing his body to shiver and his breath to mist as he looked out upon the night time world "Ok you go and speak with Carbos and see if he knows anything about the dagger whilst I try and track down these weapons" he gives the other man a quick description of the dagger currently in the inquisitions possession before agreeing to meet up with the man within the Mended Drum down in the slaughters (OOC: It’s the name of a street where the butchers and abattoirs are) for a drink and exchange of information should things go to plan.

DeletedUser31931

Oren listened to Vorashti and tried to keep the annoyance off his face when Vorashti didn't tell him, he decided to steer the conversation the way of assassins maybe even this man would drop a clue unwittingly. "Talking of assassins I heard there was an attempt on Head Inquisitor Raerrith's life just outside the castle this very morning, Inquisitors Shyther and Cartridge were present when a hooded individual tried to kill Raerrith and then fled on Tonll Street, I'm sure glad I wasn't on Tonll street when that happened, although I later discovered I passed through only several minutes after the incident had happened, if I had been there I could have been on the end of the dagger. To think that they nearly took another man's life, I would not like to be in the path of these murderers." Of course in all reality he would love to be in a fight to the death with them, not running around whilst they hid in the shadows, moving likes ghosts with the Inquisitors unable to predict where they would strike next. Oren decided to steer the conversation towards the east "So tell me, did you ever visit Rhrandur? I heard it was a nice kingdom before the current revolution started. I hear they make the most exquisite weapons there."

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Vorashti
Baron Vorashti nodded in response to Oren's long speech. "So tell me, did you ever visit Rhrandur? I heard it was a nice kingdom before the current revolution started. I hear they make the most exquisite weapons there." Asked Oren.
"Oh yes of course, I actually come from Rhrandur, the weaponry the blacksmiths make is excellenta, the best in the world in my opinion, I have a collection of Rhranduran daggers in fact, beautiful specimens. Like these two." He cheesily grinned, gesturing at the girls on his arm.

Leo

Leo followed Briccone out of the castle and into the town. "Ok you go and speak with Carbos and see if he knows anything about the dagger whilst I try and track down these weapons"
Nodding in agreement, Leo set off down an alleyway in search of Carbos' hideaway.
He moved through the night, beggars, *****s and drunkards accosting him his every waking moment.
The cold air bit through his clothes, making him shiver, his mind played tricks on him, making him see movement in every shadow.

DeletedUser

Krane watched as the Scourge entered the chamber. He had never met the woman but he had heard rumours and tales. She was certainly not what he would consider to be an honourable person but from what he had heard she was dedicated and almost as loyal to her duty as he was himself. For that he couldn't help but respect her. He noticed also that, despite their expert drilling and calm demeanor, the guards couldn't conceal how wary of her they were. That was testiment to her abilities.

All in all Krane would much prefer to work with someone of whom he knew their loyalties and so he moved to meet her. When she was taken aside by the High Inquisitor he stopped and waited at a respectable distance for their conversation to end.

DeletedUser31931

Oren smiled, the daggers he owned were useful when a sword was to bulky or he was in a situation where he needed stealth, though he generally tried to avoid those types of situations. "Do you have any melee daggers at your house that you would consider selling? I am a collector and I would love some melee daggers to help with my set. Maybe.... I don't know two or three?" If Vorashti accepted it would also give Oren a chance to look around Vorashti's home which would be useful.

DeletedUser13682

Daniel stood by while the confrontation of thief and victim took place, knowing that Raerrith would take care of it, making sure nothing bad would happen. After a few rounds of argument, the confrontation grew boring, and Daniel was about to take his leave, when Briccone tripped while trying to leave. Apparently, Dist had trapped him with blades of grass. Oren received his money bag, proved that it was his, and the conflict was resolved. Raerrith commanded the inquisitors to follow him to the state dinner the king was throwing. Tonight, they would be guards.

Daniel took station in a corner of the hall, observing what was going on. He had his beret tucked under his left shoulder strap, and was casually munching on a turkey leg, when he noticed an obvious foreigner enter the room. If Daniel remembered correctly, he was dressed as an Eastern noble. A little while later, Daniel was approached by Raerrith, and asked if he had noticed anything. “Just that eastern noble, two of the inquisitors are drunk, and Gabriel is not here.” After Raerrith left, Daniel spotted Inquisitor Krane, a man of Daniel’s own feather, with a high sense of honour, although he was extremely pompous, coming from a family of minour nobility.

A few minutes later, the king’s personal sorceress, known only to most as the Scourge (a silly name from a child’s story perhaps, but when you have the powers this witch had, you can get away with silly names and not get laughed at for it), entered the hall. Despite his lack of fear, Daniel still felt some whenever she was around. It was hard not to, given the truth of her past, when diffused from the rumour and myth. She walked to Raerrith, and a minute later, they departed the room. As soon as they left, Daniel heard some nearby nobility spread rumours about what they were doing. Sometimes, those you are meant to protect are dimmer than an unlit candle. Daniel continued to stand guard, occasionally munching on his turkey leg, and waiting to observe any more suspicious activity.

DeletedUser

Vorashti
"Do you have any melee daggers at your house that you would consider selling? I am a collector and I would love some melee daggers to help with my set. Maybe.... I don't know two or three?" Asked Oren.
"I am afraid that none of my collection is for sale at the moment Jacob." Vorashti replied, plonking his empty tankard on the table.

Daniel

As the majority of the nobles drink and eat, Daniel spies something not quite right, two noblemen are stood in the shadows of a pillar, one is High Treasurer Rothaw, whilst the other is Lord Uurden, head of the Royal guard.
The pair are talking, although about what Daniel cannot hear, Uurden seems to have a look of concern on his face, whilst that of Rothaw's is concentration.

Leo

Leo knocked on the door that led to Carbos' hideout. He stood for several minutes, but nobody answered, he knocked again, with the same result.
He turned to look behind him, the alley was empty, although if there was someone there, he probably wouldn't have seen them.
Leo turned back to the door and knocked even harder. When nobody answers he knelt down and began to pick the lock.

DeletedUser31931

Oren listened to Vorashti and a sad look crossed his face as Vorashti declined. "That's fine, knowing the class of some of those daggers I can understand why you might not want to sell them. Oh well.... I guess I'll just have to send someone over there to buy some once this revolution is over maybe in about a year's time." Oren glanced round the room and decided to make a progress report and see if the others had spotted anything. Ignoring Kane, who was a bit too pompous for his own good if anyone asked Oren, which of course they almost never did, Oren crossed over and seeing Crux, the Scourge and Raerrith all standing together ignored that since it was probably the Scourge and Raerrith having a conversation and Crux butting in because he felt like it. Instead he crossed over to Daniel and said "See anything strange?"

DeletedUser13682

Daniel let a yawn escape his mouth, it had be a very long day. But an Inquisitor’s work is not done until his High Inquisitor says it is. Shortly after this yawn, Daniel noticed a strange thing. High Treasurer Rothaw and Lord Uurden were talking in a corner, behind shadows, and whatever was being said was concerning to the good Lord. Daniel knew Lord Uurden; not only was he present at Daniel’s commissioning ceremony, but he had been invited to dine at Lord Uurden’s residence once, after becoming an Inquisitor. This man was made of steel, and nothing made him even passively worried. The fact that concern was playing all over the good Lord’s face meant something was up. Unfortunately, Daniel was too far away to hear what was being said.

Daniel pretended to follow a young woman, who had conveniently gotten up for some need or other. She passed near the conversing officials, and Daniel pretended to accidentally get lost in a gaggle of noblemen talking about the latest style of tea drinking. Although he hadn’t been noticed and was now much closer to the officials, he still was too far away to hear their talk. Just as he was about to try another way to get closer, Oren walked up to him, and asked if he had seen anything suspicious. Damn this man; he might scare the officials away. Daniel quickly pulled Oren to the shadows of a pillar, and spoke very quietly to him. “I have. Lord Uurden and Treasurer Rothaw are talking. Lord Uurden seems concerned. He’s never concerned. Something’s up, and I’m trying to find out what they ‘re saying.”

DeletedUser

Crux then grew bored spying on all the nobles and Vorashti. He then walked out of his hiding place, began walking towards Oren and Vorashti, knowing it would make it more suspicious. But he had a cover story. He walked there and dropped his wine glass on Vorashti. He then quickly apologised and took out his handkerchief to clean it. He then wantedly took one of his asssassin's blades. Overhearing Oren's and Vorashti's conversation, he showed it accidentally to Vorashti. He said that it was from his own village. He said that it was one of the most famous knives of Northern origin. He then asked Vorashti if he knew any blades like he had after looking at Vora's sight fixed there. He then gave it to Vorashti to take a closer look. Crux then sat on the chair and ordered wine.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28032

The streets were dark and icy cold causing most of its denizens to seek the warmth allowing Gabriel to travel unseen and unmolested.
Now...Where would I hide a large shipment of weapons? Gabriel silently asked himself, sidestepping the black tom cat darting out from an alley way Well assuming that they haven't left the city already...I'd hide them in plain sight in amongst other weapons...maybe one of the armouries? Seeing the two shuffling figures stood about the small brazier he carried on towards the gatehouse where the two sentries were stood.
"Good evening gentlemen" he called cheerfully to the two mail clad men as he stepped into the light cast by the brazier "I am doing an audit for the cities armouries have there been any large shipments leaving the city recently?" he listened to whatever the two of them had to say on the matter before producing a pair of gold pieces from out of his pocket letting the men see them gleaming in the light before asking his next question in a much lower tone of voice "...and has anything come through that the crown doesn't know about?"

DeletedUser

(OOC: Crux, I literally have no idea what happened in your post, please use the shift key and proper punctuation, and where does this assassin's blade come from? And what exactly are you saying to Vorashti??????)

Briccone

"I am doing an audit for the cities armouries have there been any large shipments leaving the city recently?"
"No large shipments no sir, there's been a few comin' in, but none goin' out." One of the guards replied.
"...and has anything come through that the crown doesn't know about?" Briccone said as he offered a pair of gold pieces.
The guards looked at each other nervously for a moment, one of them looked around before nodding to the other one, who stepped towards Briccone.
"We're paid to watch out for underhand stuff sir, but a few more coins goin' in the coffers might make us kinda more helpful like." The guard whispered, making his intent clear.

DeletedUser31931

Oren smiled as he heard Daniel say he had. Oren said "Well then, come over here and pretend to be having a discussion with me about business on the opposite side of the pillar from them."

DeletedUser13682

Daniel gave Oren a smile, as his suggestion was processed within Daniel’s head, or heart, or whatever is the centre of thought. Best to let the philosophers and doctors figure that one out, until it was required to solve crimes. “That is a very cunning plan, Oren. Come, let’s go now.” Daniel went toward the pillar, talking to Oren. “Now, I think that we should shift more focus to crossbows. See, the longbow is very good, very accurate, but the crossbow is becoming cheaper to make, what with iron becoming cheaper to produce. Soon, every common man will be able to buy a crossbow for home defense. It won’t be a good one, but it will be better than nothing. And I think we can make more money in that. What do you think?”

DeletedUser31931

Oren smiled and followed Daniel and heard him and said "I agree with you, however, many these days prefer longbows due to their much quicker reloading time than a crossbow, sure and expert can do it incredibly quickly but most people aren't experts so although I agree with you I believe that we should still stock some longbows incase we get some people who aren't interested in crossbows. What do you say?" he replied as he began to strain to catch the conversation being held by the head of the Royal guard and the Treasurer.

DeletedUser

Leo
With the lock picked, Leo pushed the door open, no torchlight came from within, standing back up, Leo stepped over the threshold into the darkness.
Moonlight steaming through small slits in the walls and ceiling illuminated the crime den.
Or rather, the now empty crime den.
Leo moved into the room, it was abandoned, tables, some upturned, still stood on the floor. The odd pair of bone dice still resting on the wooden surface.
Leo looked down, and noticed a dark stain on the floor, it was only then that he realized what had happened here.
A massacre. Bodies of felons lay scattered across the floor, blades still embedded in their bodies.
Leo moved through them, he opened the door that led into Carbos’ study, it was completely empty, save for an overturned table, along with some pages of ledgers and a quill and inkpot that now resided on the floor.
Turning back to look back around the main room, Leo realized.
Carbos was one of the most powerful crimelords in the city, a massacre like this could have only happened because of one thing;
Carbos’ demise.
Leo turned tail and ran out of the building and down the alleyways, his boots pounding through the dirt backstreets.
He had to find Briccone, where had the other Inquisitor said to meet him? Oh yes, the Slaughters.
Leo ran through the alleys, left, right, right, straight ahead, left then right again, eventually he arrived in the Slaughters, a wide street full of butcher’s stalls.
The empty tables still lined the streets, during the daytime the street would echo with the sound of butchers promoting the carcasses of fresh meat, bought in the cattle market only a few streets away, before being killed in the houses lining the street, before being dragged out onto the tables from which they were sold.
The sounds of merrymaking emanated from a tavern, the Hog In Armour.
Leo moved down the street, looking around. Where was Briccone? He needed to find him. And quickly.
Hoping to find the other thief, he walked down the street towards the tavern.
Leo quickened his pace, and soon reached the building, he looked up at the crude, chipped painting of a hog in a breastplate and hauberk that hang above the open doorway, which Leo stepped through.
Inside, the butchers congratulated themselves on a good days trade, or at least, those who had had a good days trade did.
The bar was crowded with the butchers, still wearing their blood-stained clothes. Mainly as they were the only clothes they had.
Other butchers, those who had not had such a good day, sat at the tables in silence.
Leo made his way to the bar, where he signalled to the barmaid to bring him a beer.
He flicked a few copper pieces onto the bartop as he took the tankard and sat at an empty table, watching the door.
His fingers drummed on the table as he sipped his tankard, waiting for Briccone.

Daniel and Oren
Daniel and Oren moved towards Uurden and Rothaw, hoping to overhear snippets of conversation.
As they grew nearer, the could make out what the two were saying.
“We can’t do it, we have to end it now. They’re causing too much trouble.” Uurden whispered.
“We have to!” Rothaw insisted. “We can’t afford to stop now! We have to keep going!”
“No, I don’t like it Rothaw.” Uurden replied.
“You know what is at stake! We have to-“ Rothaw’s eyes drifted onto Oren and Daniel, whilst he ignored Oren, his eyes moved to see the Inquisitorial badge that Daniel wore.
“What is it?” Uurden asked, before turning to see the pair.
Rothaw turned back to Uurden, before walking away towards the exit, he made a beckoning gesture behind him and Uurden followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.