The Chains of Arunsia

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

Apelatia

Purple men, fragments, water sources, monsters... Huh? Melk was confused. Gazing forlornly at his empty waterskin, his mistake suddenly dawned on him. "Ooops..." He said out loud. "Purple man, can you make water with your powers?" Melk asked innocently, gazing in admiration at Varus, as he followed him outside the cave. His earlier shock at the man's strange appearance had since subsided, only to be replaced by pure fascination at there being a purple man in their midst. Moving to walk alongside Varus, Melk commented. "I like your bow purple man! It looks really...powerf...prett...big!" Melk's face beamed happily as he walked alongside the strange man.

DeletedUser28032

A gale of laughter issued from the harlequin's throat as she spotted Melk’s plight and his feeble attempt of rectifying it "You're right Johnny he isn't going to die of exhaustion he's going to starve instead!" she said before skipping off to join Carolyn and keeping her eyes peeled for the cuddly monsters they were bound to see on their journey, in fact she already rather fancied that she could hear the faint sound of one shouting in the distance silly monster you're never going to sneak up on us if you make all that noise

Deleted User - 819397

They hadn't gone very far before they encountered their first problem...it appeared that Melk had forgotten the rule about water and consumed all his, much to Gilly's amusement. My Lady, give me strength to deal with this group, he silently groaned, then turned to Melk. "I can't, Melk...but when we stop I'll pour some from my skin into yours...just be more careful from now on, ok?" He thought about talking to Gilly again, but decided that her comment hadn't been worth snapping over. Melk then asked about his bow, though his compliment kept changing, as though he couldn't decide what to focus on. "Thanks Melk...to be honest I liked the old look better though...depending on what you Dreamed, you may have seen it like that. Oh, and please call me Varus, ok?" He continued to guide them, paying close attention to anything that could have possibly been amiss.

------------------------------
Amos

As Amos continued his trek over the land, footprints became clearer and clearer...signs that people had walked there not too long ago. If he was to survive, it would be a good idea to follow them. As if to reinforce this idea, a distant shriek reached his ears...something large was not too far away...something large and, by the sound of it, angry.

DeletedUser13682

Melk had changed. He wasn't reserved today, he was childlike. Carolyn knew a few Young Arunsians that had mood swings like that. Flickers, the quacks at Abraham called them. One minute they were ecstatic, and the next they were more down than the poppy smokers. The change happened as if at the flick of a street lamp. Gilly was laughing back there at Melk's drinking of his water. After Gilly joined Carolyn, she spoke to the performer. "We should help him. Give Melk some of our water so Arclight Varus won't have to give so much of his. We all need to support each other to survive." Before Carolyn could comment on bringing Varus and his bow back to how they were before the corruption hit, she was startled by a giant roar. "By Eris, what is that?" Carolyn managed, while clumsily drawing her Messer, and pointed it in the apparent direction the noise came from.

Deleted User - 819397

The stillness was shattered by an incredible roar. "What...there shouldn't be anything that large this close to the city...it's harder for them to resist its aura!" Varus growled, spinning towards the sound, raising his bow as one of his reddish arrows appeared. "Everyone, behind me...NOW!" he yelled, not waiting for a response, he continued. "I was hoping something small would attack so I could see what you all can do, but whatever made that noise is far too la-"

Varus' sentence was cut off by another bellow. It sounded closer this time. "Light above, what in the world is that?" the corrupted man muttered. "Keep moving in the direction we were before...slowly, quietly...with any luck it won't hear us and move away...something that monstrous we likely can't face..." He was being kind...he knew that at this point he was likely the only one who could have a chance, and judging from the noises it was something he'd have run from if he had been alone. "I'll follow shortly...just get going...I'll try and slow it down if it does show up...blind it or something...go!" he insisted.

DeletedUser31931

Perran almost jumped at the roar, almost. But he remained composed. He followed Varus' instructions and when they got to the final one he spoke. "Come on guys, we have to get going." He said, before beginning to lead the group the way Varus had motioned "We'll wait for you at the lake Varus." He said before beginning to move off again.

Apelatia

Melk looked down at the floor, ashamed that he had been so foolish as to down his entire water skin in one go. At least Varus, that was his name, had been kind enough to say that when they next stopped, he would give Melk some of his water. Varus took his compliment about the bow nicely enough, though he said that he had liked it the old way... "I d...d...don't remember seeing any b...b...bow in my Dream...Mine was horrible. Wait! That was you!" Melk stared in shock at the purple man. "Oh... I'm sorry V...V...Varus... I didn't meant to... I'll just keep to myself now..."

A roar thundered through the air, causing Melk to jump out of his skin. He instinctively reached toward where his falchion should have been, but upon reaching down, nothing was there. It was then that he remembered that he didn't HAVE a weapon. Stupid Gilly... MY falchion! Varus was shouting for everyone to get behind him. Melk obeyed immediately, his face contorted in a grimace as he resisted the urge to claw Gilly's hair out. After a short while, Varus commanded them all to keep moving, though he was going to stay behind for a bit. Melk made for the direction which they were travelling in, after whispering to Varus, "Be careful, purple ma....I mean...V...Varus..."

Last edited:

DeletedUser35174

The roar made Jack jump with surprise, it sounded so.... big. Varus ordered them to follow the road they had been going on and he would go see what made the roar, "no way, i'm coming with you" objected Jack, his grip tightening on his axe.

DeletedUser

Amos began to notice foot prints, growing in distinction and different sizes. He knew it was a fairly large group by the variety. He paused and though for a minute, this could be a pack of humanoid monsters, then again it could just as likely be the group. His thoughts were suddenly erupted by what sounded like a ferocious animal roaring before a swift kill. His knees shook as he felt fear for the first time in awhile. He quickly set after the foot prints with all do hast. Cursing softly under his breath for being so boisterous, he worked his dehydrated body twice as fast as before.

DeletedUser

Artemis jerked his head as some creature let out a monstrous roar behind him. "Well that's one way to wake up." he said to himself as Varus ordered them to go on quietly while he delayed it. Judging by Varus's reaction Artemis wasn't sure if even Varus would be able to stop whatever made that sound. With a grimace Artemis turned back towards their destination. "Good luck Varus." He said as he began following Perran.

DeletedUser28032

Giving her new friend an incredulous look over the suggestion that she should share her water with Melk, Gilandria considered it for all of a few seconds before coldly replying "No...It’s his own stupid fault, why should the rest of us suffer for it? Let him go thirsty it'll teach him a valuable lesson" it was clear that she had never had to live hand to mouth like she had done back in Human Sanctuary. Charity was for the rich and from where she came from you held on tightly to what little you had.
Upon hearing the monstrous roar she ignores the pair of swords across her back instead pulling the knife from her belt and dropping into a fighter’s stance, her terrified eyes searching the undergrowth for any sign of the beast.
Upon hearing the command for them to carry on their destination whilst the purple skinned warrior did his best to slow down whatever it was that was on their trail, Gilly wastes little time. Taking hold of Carolyn’s wrist with her free hand she begins pulling her away "Come on lets get going whilst we still can" as soon as she'd gotten the girls attention she headed off after Perran and Artemis deciding that perhaps the monsters weren't quite as cuddly as she'd thought they'd be.

Deleted User - 819397

Everyone started to move off except Jack, who said he was going to stay with Varus. "Jack, go...from the sound of it that's something I would run from if I were alone...I'm going to be retreating with you, albeit slowly, letting you all go first. We can't hope to fight something of that size right now...so get moving so I can follow you all quicker...the longer we stand here debating this the greater the odds it'll catch one of our scents and be on us." He filed away the information that Jack was eager to fight something for later...he needed to learn the tendencies of each person before he could turn them into an effective team. "I'll be right behind you, just go."

Carolyn nodded as Gilly told her to run. "I'm coming, don't worry...I don't want to meet whatever made that noise," she assured the other girl, hurrying after the others, looking back to see Varus arguing with Jack about if he should stay or go. Wanting to help, but realizing that she'd be useless, she turned and continued moving away from the potential fight.

DeletedUser

Amos was sure he had to be coming close to finding the group. He was hearing voices up ahead which encouraged him to push his weary body forward in a desperate attempt to reach safety and rest. The only question that remained was if he would reach the group before his body gave out or the creature would devour him.

DeletedUser35174

"Jack, go...from the sound of it that's something I would run from if I were alone...I'm going to be retreating with you, albeit slowly, letting you all go first. We can't hope to fight something of that size right now...so get moving so I can follow you all quicker...the longer we stand here debating this the greater the odds it'll catch one of our scents and be on us. I'll be right behind you, just go." Varus insisted. Reluctantly Jack nodded and followed the others.

DeletedUser28032

Wasting little time Gilandria made her way as quickly and as quietly as she could away from the approaching beast and in what she hoped was the way to the lake. With her heart hammering in her chest and finding herself barely capable of breathing as her eyes scanned every rock and bush for any sign danger Varus' previous warning causing her paranoia to go into overtime.
Suddenly grabbing hold of Carolyn's wrist she quickly pulls the pair of them into a small clump of bushes and clamps her hand over the other girls mouth as a creature about the size of an alley cat crosses just a few feet in front of their path; its reddish brown shaggy fur momentarily causing the Harlequin to think of a cat she'd briefly owned back home, though any thought of taking the rapidly disappearing creature for a pet was quickly dismissed at the sight of the large barbed sting on its tail "Well...it was kind of cute" she suggested quietly to Carolyn as she pulled the pair of them from their hiding place "Carolyn...where are the others?"

DeletedUser

Artemis followed Perran as they made their way in the direction Varus had indicated. Turning around and looking into the darkness for the umpteenth time upon hearing that beasts roar something finally clicked and Artemis grabbed Perran's shoulder. "Weren't Carolyn and Gilandria following us when we left Varus? I wonder what they could have gotten into? Do you think we should look for them Perran or continue to that pond or whatever it was we were trying to find?" Artemis asked decided he didn't want to be the one to say they should look for the two.

Deleted User - 819397

As Jack moved off, Varus began to follow him, backing away, alert for anything that would help him determine the movements of whatever was doing the roaring. He didn't think that the monster knew what had infringed upon its territory, as it'd have come to eliminate the perceived threat. So long as no one in the area made any loud noises, he figured they'd be ok. The fact he couldn't see the creature, which from the sound of its noises was massive, supported his theory. As the group continued to retreat, the corrupted man slowly brought up the rear, continuously looking for danger.

---------------------

Gilly grabbed Carolyn and pulled her off the pat as a smaller creature slunk by them. The vaguely feline creature moved slowly, taking its sweet time before vanishing. The street performer mentioned that it had been kinda cute, then came to the sudden realization that in avoiding the creature, they'd moved away from the others. "Gilly...where did they go? Surely we should at least see Arclight Varus, right? We didn't go far at all...didn't we?" A note of panic crept into the instrument seller's voice. "What way did we come from? How do we get back?" She felt safe when the Arclight was around...without him, the prospect of endless monsters was downright terrifying, and she was having a hard time keeping quiet, knowing that unnecessary noise would only attract attention.

DeletedUser28032

Gilandria hadn't realised that they had gone that far off course in order to avoid the strange looking creature or had they already gone of course and hadn't realised it until the creature had arrived?
Searching the surrounding countryside for any sign of the others she half considers shouting to draw their attention before remembering the beast they were in fact running from "I think it was this way we came from" she says without any real conviction leading the other girl out of the undergrowth and back onto the track they had been following; squeezing Carolyn's hand perhaps a little too tightly in her own fear of becoming lost.
Slowly walking down the track hanh in hand like an extremely well armed Hansel and Gretel lost in the deep dark wood, Gilandria tries to work out where exactly they had lost the others or even if they were on the right track, after all she had been more intent on not being eaten by whatever had been making that noise than where she had been going.
Raising the hand in which she was carrying the knife she bites the back of her knuckles before speaking to Carolyn in a small and forlorn voice "Carolyn I am scared. I want Gale, where’s Gale?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 819397

Carolyn was making extreme efforts to remain calm...they'd gotten separated from the others, but they'd gotten away from the monster that had been making the noise. Gilly then lapsed back into wanting Gale. Remembering that Arclight Varus' attempts to tell her that Gale wasn't coming had only resulted in making her mad, she tried a different tack. "He hasn't found us yet, remember? He wouldn't have let you run off if he was with us...let's just try to get back to the others, ok? Gale will find us eventually."

After walking for a couple of minutes, the pair came across a cave. "That...doesn't look like the place we stayed in last night, does it?" the musical crafter asked her harlequin company. "No...the mouth of the cave is much larger. Still, do you think the others might have gone to hide in there?"
-------------

Varus finally started to relax. "I think we got away successfully," he sighed in relief. "Something of that size would take multiple people to kill, and as you all have next to no training, that wasn't going to work." He looked around at the Dreamers, then frowned. "Where are Carolyn and Gilly?" he asked, concerned. "Did they...darkness take me..." He couldn't believe it...so many problems, and so early into the journey. How could he expect to guide these people...expect them to fight for him? "Did anyone see them run off? Anyone know the general area they were heading to?" His questions seemed almost pleading, as though he was losing his grip on his calmness.

DeletedUser28032

Upon hearing her brother’s name and the assurance that he'd just hadn't found them yet Gilandria nods her head mutely before carrying on in the direction they were heading. After several minutes of nerve wracking but thankfully uneventful walking the pair of them come across a cave though like Carolyn she quickly realises that it wasn't the same cave that they'd stayed in "I don't know...but...do you think its a good idea for us to walk into a cave by ourselves?" the idea of wandering into something’s lair at the fore front of her mind.
Edging quietly towards the mouth of the cave she tries her best to peer inside before quietly and tentatively calling "Hello?"