The Chains of Arunsia

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

DeletedUser13682

"Don't worry Gilandria," Carolyn assured her. "I'll make sure these boys don't bother you. Gale wouldn't like that, I don't think. And if I can't take them on, Varus will help out. You didn't see him as I saw him. That purple gunk isn't him. He once was just like us, but extremely powerful, seemingly second only to the woman he served. I'll ask him about it in the morning."

The group had arrived at the cave, and settled in for the night. Carolyn had found a somewhat comfortable rock to use as a pillow, though lack of blankets or central heating meant that this sleep was not going to be very pleasant. If she wasn't so tired, Carolyn wouldn't have fallen asleep at all. Before she could fall asleep, Gilly asked Carolyn a question about her shop. "On Westgate? Yes, it is. Why are you sorry? You didn't do anything to it."

DeletedUser28032

"I don't trust Varus either, though admittedly for a different reason...besides you didn't see what I saw in my dream" after seeing...no...Feeling his lust for vengeance after emerging from the corruption it was hard to believe that he had simply given up on that desire after all she and Gale had had their fair share of grudges and they had all been settled in the end.
Settling herself down probably just a little bit too close to Carolyn, Gilly tried her best to make herself comfortable by using her arm as a pillow and positioning the knife upon her belt in such a way that it was digging into her sides as she slept.
Looking up at the other woman from where she lay, Gilly grimaced as Carolyn confirmed the location of her store "Actually...I kind of did, me and Galen threw a man through the shop window one night though I could be thinking of the wrong shop...either way I am REALLY sorry, we were drunk and...and...well… you know our reputation" by day the Swann twins had been beloved entertainers and acrobats by night however they were a drunken violent menace that you didn't cross. No doubt with Gilandria's eviction from the city and her brothers incarceration for his part in her escape attempt there would be more than a few people celebrating this night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apelatia

Melk looked over at Gilly from his place on the far side of the cave. That falchion WOULD be his! He would stay awake, and then when Gilly fell asleep, he would take it for his own! Yes, that would be his plan... Nothing would stop him from achieving his goal... He wouldn't care about the others. All that mattered was getting his falchion... Then....then... Melk faltered. What would he do then? Gilly certainly wouldn't be happy with him is he did that. He didn't want a blood feud to ensue... That wouldn't end well for him. The purple man would probably take Gilly's side too. His plan was doomed! With that last despairing thought, Melk fell asleep, haunted by nightmares of monsters, purple gnomes and mad, raving women who stole falchions...

DeletedUser28032

Thick, black tendrils slowly inched their way up her body burning a slow trail of agonising pain as they went, her hysterical cries going unheeded in the darkness "Gale! Where are you Gale? You promised me!" she tries to move her arms, to scrape off the foul corruption only to find herself immobile "Ah now that is fine mess you've gotten yourself into" Gales voice comes from out of the darkness, his body a mere shadow within darkness "Gale? Where are you Gale? Please you've got to help me! It hurts so much!" she screams the corruption now past her chest and fast approaching her shoulders and then her face. Gales shade quietly chuckles from out of the darkness as if his sisters torment was somehow humorous "Oh I can't do that Gilly, they won't let me help you...You're his pet now"
“No, Please Gale, Please you’ve got to help me!”
“Sorry Gilly”
“No, Please no, NO!”

She awakens with a sudden start and with strangled gasp coming out of her throat, sucking in great lungful’s of stale air. Steeling herself she slowly eases a quaking hand over to her arm terrified over what she would find, what she feared she would find lurking within the darkness. Giving a sigh of relief Gilly finds only smooth flesh and the rumpled cotton of her outfit with not a hint of the dark corruption within her dreams. Moving closer to Carolyn’s sleeping form, more for comfort than for warmth Gilandria glances over towards the caves entrance; a sliver of steel grey sky just visible from where she lay. Without either streetlights or a clock with which to gauge the time she had no way of knowing for sure how long it would be until dawn but felt that it wouldn’t be long until Varus roused them from their sleep, not that she would be getting much more this night.

DeletedUser35174

Jack sat, his hands wrapped around his legs, his back against the wall. He had without word followed the group back to Varus's cave, once they reached the cave he chose the furthest corner, from there he had a view of the entrance to the cave, and most of the members. The entire night he sat there, the same position, deciding should he follow the group or fend for his own. Only thing that stopped him was his word to Varus that he would help him with the pieces of the sun. Oh, what he would give up to have his old life back, everything he had ever known and loved, taken away from him... by a stupid dream.

Quickley grabbing his axe, he saw a movement in the shadows, but then relaxed his hands as he noticed it was only Gilly. she must have had a bad dream, keeping his gaze fixed on her, he saw as she moved in closed to Carolyn. Just like him, she lost everything. "Close your eyes while thinking of a good thing" he whispered, loud enough for her to hear him. His mom told him that when he was young after he dreamed he was being eaten by a large spider. He smiled at the memory as he rested his head on the cold stone.

DeletedUser31931

Perran did not sleep that night. He lay there, unflinching as the night drove on, his mind a whirlwind, still processing the events of the day. Tomorrow they would set off to get the pieces of sun back. The word still sounded strange, even in his head. As Gilly awoke from her nightmare he stayed unmoving, ignoring jack's words. He lay there and waited. Varus would call them eventually and then he would answer.

DeletedUser13682

So that was what happened to the window. That tossed man had also taken out three instruments, including a custom harpsichord for a noble. It had taken her months to recover the losses, and she still hadn't gotten another contract that large. Carolyn was understandably very angry about this revelation. She was about to yell at Gilly and send her away. But then Carolyn realized something. Who cares? The shop was gone, she was exiled from the city, with no way to return. "It's in the past. Nothing anyone can do about it now." Carolyn let forth a mighty yawn. "Well, g'night Gilandria. See you when it's wake time."

Carolyn had fallen asleep almost immediately and eventually drifted into a dream. There was strange sand everywhere, except where there was was water. Gallons of the stuff. More in one place than Carolyn had seen in her life. And everything was bright. Looking up, Carolyn was nearly blinded by the largest light she had seen. It was like the small lights in the sky you could sometimes see in the sky if a streetlamp were out, but brighter and much hotter. And the sky was different as well. Instead of the gray everyone was used to, it was a bright blue, the most beautiful blue Carolyn had ever seen.

In the distance, a Young Arunsian band was playing a song. The words drifted over to Carolyn. "In the sun it's for everyone. In the sun were gonna have some fun. In the sun were gonna shoot the tube. I'll do it for you. My paka lota burning love." Another oddity was that everyone in the area was wearing swimming clothes, even Carolyn, confirmed with a downward glance. Some people were under umbrellas, though it wasn't raining; some were laying on towels, though they weren't wet, but strangely brown; some were swimming in the water, though the water stretched on farther than Carolyn could see.

Carolyn was awoken by someone snuggling against her. Why was she so sore? Why did her pillow feel like a rock? After a moment, Carolyn remembered where she was and who was next to her. Guess Gilly couldn't sleep well. After an inward shrug, Carolyn drifted back to sleep and the strange land.

Deleted User - 819397

Once it had become apparent there was nothing sinister lurking around, Varus had begun to walk around, picking any berries he found. It would be a good idea to save the meat until last, as that would spoil the slowest, but since he barely had enough supplies for himself, let alone a small company, he had to find more food if the meat was to avoid immediate consumption. Once he'd gathered enough for a small meal for each person, he returned to his spot above the cave, wondering how long they'd all been sleeping. He didn't want to wake them prematurely, but without the sun to guide his knowledge of the time, he couldn't be sure when was long enough. He sighed again. He wished he could still sleep...it'd be a lot easier, and probably safer to use it to recover his energy, rather than allow the corruption to feed him energy. He'd often wondered why it did that...the only possible reason was that it needed him alive to finish the corruption, but surely it'd be better to force him to sleep? After all, his dreams were the same as the Dreamers...albeit from his perspective, all the better to watch his own failures...it had been driving him insane until he'd realized he didn't need to sleep. If the corruption ever caught on that it was what had kept him going as long as he had been, then he was doomed.

Finally he couldn't take it anymore. He entered the cave, intent on waking everyone, only to see that Perran and Jack hadn't slept. Frowning at them, he moved around, gently waking the others. "Ok, I gathered more berries for this morning...remember not to drink too deeply from your flasks at one time...like I said we're a couple days from water. Fortunately, the closest lake is right next to our destination, so that's two...maybe three days of travel. Once your flask has run out, you may ask for some from another's flask, but I don't want any of you stealing water from anyone else. I'm not your father...I don't have many rules about what you can and cannot do, but if you steal someone's water...I'll not be happy...understood?" He looked at Gilly as he said that, knowing from the fact that she'd taken Melk's weapon that she was the one most likely to do something like that.

"Ok, let's get going. We can eat while we walk. Stay close together, and alert the rest of us if you see anything, or even if you THINK you see anything. It's far better to raise a false alarm than be lax because the monster you thought you saw turns out to be real and you decided it wasn't worth bothering the rest of us. When we take our first break from walking, I want to evaluate each of your combat skills...except for you, of course," he nodded at Threut, his voice not holding any ill will towards the pacifist. "Alright, ready? Let's go...follow me."

DeletedUser28032

It appeared that her estimate of how close it was to waking hadn't been too far off the mark for no sooner had she closed her eyes with the sound of Jack's kindly whispered message in her ears that Varus shook her awake "No Johnny! Gilly is still sleepy!" she moaned wrapping her arm across her eyes. However as all of the others started to rise it soon became apparent that she wouldn't be receiving any reprieve and so got up with the rest of them, contenting herself with a sip of water and a few berries .
Silently accepting the handful of berries and adding it to the remains of the last lot, still not convinced about the fruit, she listens as Varus explained what was going on.
When the subject of stealing other peoples water skins arose Gilly couldn't help but check over each of her shoulders in search of the person that Varus was glaring at, a who me? expression appearing on her face upon realising that it was in fact her that he was looking at, the expression replaced with an evil grin the moment that his back was turned, already planning on how to relief water skins from pacifists and young boys "So where are going Johnny? Are we going now? Lets go now! Come on Johnny lets go I want to see the monsters!" she speaks excitably, her voice seeming to get faster and louder as the conversation went on before finally turning to face Carolyn with a broad make up enhanced smile on her face "Come along Carolyn I'll teach you how to juggle knives whilst we're walking if you like"

DeletedUser31931

Perran got up and followed the rest of them. He kept one hand on the pommel of his sabre, ready to fight at any time. "I'm ready to go when everyone else is." He took the berries and ate them to keep his strength up before having a quick sip and seeing that he had about 3/4 of his water skin left.

Apelatia

Melk scowled. How was the purple man going to evaluate HIS combat skills? He didn't even have his falchion anymore, because of that stupid Gilandria woman. Taking the proffered berries from the purple man, he proceeded to munch on them until they were all gone. When that was done, he downed the whole of his water skin, relishing the cool tickle of the water as it flowed down his throat. Not noticing his blantant mistake, he carried on scowling at the world in general around him. "So, where do we go purple man?" Melk asked, eager to be out of the damp, smelly cave.

DeletedUser13682

Carolyn was woken up by Arclight Varus. Internal clock indicated that the time was slightly earlier than Carolyn's normal wake time. The day's work though, would be far different from anything that Carolyn had done before.

After receiving the daily allotment of berries (where was the meat from the lizard thing?) and listening to the Laws of the Group, Carolyn set about preparing for the journey ahead. Shoes were tightly strapped, waterskin secured and mostly full, Messer slung and ready to be drawn at a moment's notice (if Carolyn were that quick) and berries safely secured in a pouch, ready to be slowly eaten throughout the journey. As she prepared, Carolyn whistled, helping take the edge off of the tediousness of the preparations and their implications of what was to come.

Carolyn was interrupted midbar by an ecstatic looking Gilly, who wanted to teach Carolyn how to juggle knives. Carolyn hadn't even juggled rice sacks, let alone knives. And where did Gilly keep those knives? Carolyn hadn't seen any throwing blades. But, if Gilly really could teach Carolyn juggling, why not? It would be something to take her mind off the everything. "Sure, Gilandria. I'd love to learn knife juggling." After a few others in the group affirmed that they were ready to go, Carolyn threw her own voice in. "I'm ready to go. Show us the way (there was a song there) Arclight Varus.

DeletedUser35174

Jack sat as some of the members agreed to walk with Varus taking some berries and a sip of water he got up and leaned his axe on his shoulders. " I'm in". he said after hearing Carolyn mentions something about Knives.

DeletedUser

Name: Amos Brawl
Sex: Male
Appearance: An average built man with short jet black hair. Brawl has piercing eyes which remain cold and lifeless accept on the rare occasion when he is doing what he does best, inflecting pain or collecting money. A large scar runs across his left collar and his tone body is riddled with scares from punctures. He wears a tight shirt allowing his natural body cut to intimidate. A good pair of shoes allows him to make quick escapes with powerful legs.
Personality: Quick to strike and relentless in combat are both skills he picked up training for the Grey Guard from youth. Lucky to have graced the age of 22 Amos has learned a thing or two about picking fights and escaping close calls. He treats each day as though it is his last and constantly pushes the envelope. Schooling on the street taught him the world is a cruel place and he sees little humanity in society which was compounded by his rejection from the Grey Guard. Right and wrong are foreign concepts. Only survival fuels the man, as he fears for his sole and wanders if he’s beyond redemption.
Skills: (Relentless in combat, skilled with knives and unarmed combat specializing in brawling, bound by no morals, cat like reflex’s)
Weakness: (Fearing not death but what awaits him after life, ill fit for proper society, weak intellectually and in the areas of trade, culture, and music, haunted by thoughts of abandonment and failure.)
Weapon: Ka- BAR http://www.kabar.com/images/products/knives/1212_h_lg.png
Bio: Amos was born to a loving family. His father wanted nothing more than for his son to make history by being the first human to be accepted into the Grey Guard. Amos worked with his father from the time he could walk learning to fight. When he failed to be accepted into the Grey Guard at 18 his family abandoned him. He quickly earned his name Brawl by beating up rivals for their wages and food earned through begging. He put his training to use learning how to fight and intimidate but never had enough cunning or intellect to make an honest profession with his skills. Alone on the streets survival is the only thing fueling Amos. Resentment of his father and his own thoughts of failure drive him into fits of rage and haunt him daily.

DeletedUser28032

"Really? Cool! Its great fun especially if you can do it without losing any fingers, though its always nice to see a little blood" Gilandria says excitably digging into one of the leather pouches upon her belt. With a frown upon her face she opens the pouch wide so that she could see the contents and finding only a handful of berries "huh...the meanies took my knives...oh well we'll just have to use sticks I suppose" she was slightly disappointed though not overly surprised to find that they were gone "Come on Johnny lets get going I want to see how long will take Melkie to collapse from exhaustion...dibs on his shoes!"

Deleted User - 819397

The Dreamers roused themselves, preparing to get ready to move out. Gilly continued to call him Johnny, and Melk referred to him as 'purple man'. "Varus...my name is Varus," he reiterated calmly. Carolyn then directly referred to him as the Arclight, and he momentarily tensed, pain flickering across his features. Gilly then once again called him Johnny, causing the corrupted man to sigh. "I'm going to have to just accept that, aren't I?" he muttered. "Anyway, no one's collapsing from exhaustion...if we aren't looking out for each other, we're going to die. Simple as that."

Varus led them out of the cave, a slight increase in visibility signaling their exit. "Ok, I took the opportunity last night to have the fragment remind me of where its brother lies, so I know where it is. Problem is if we want to get to the water source, we have to go a little out of the way. Still, it's worth it. Water first, fragment second. Food will likely come to us, seeing as we'll be seen as food by plenty of creatures."

"Ok, now that we've got that squared away, let's go. Remember, tell us if you think you see ANYTHING. Better safe than sorry, right?" The corrupted man climbed a nearby tree and grabbed a backpack, made from some sort of skin. "Nothing flying in these parts...not many good climbers either...this was the safest place to keep supplies," he explained. Turning to face a specific direction, his nightmarish bow appeared in his left hand. "Follow me...time to restore the light."

--------------------------------

Amos

"Well, you have your weapon...get going, accursed Dreamer!" one of the Grey Guards hissed at the large man. "It's a good thing we wouldn't let you join us...last thing we needed was one of YOUR kind among our ranks." It wasn't certain whether or not the guard was talking about Dreamers, or the human race in general. Another guard piped up. "The rest of you darkspawn walked off that way yesterday," he pointed. "Not that your odds of survival will be much better in a group, but might as well give you some sort of security." It was unheard of for Dreamers to be exiled two days in a row, but it had happened. Human's Sanctuary was closed to the man known as Amos Brawl...the outside world was to be his life now, however long that life was...

DeletedUser

The desolate land lay in front, and the thick walls surrounding the sanctuary to his back. The last several hours seemed as if a daze. He forced his foot to take the first step in the direction the Grey Guard had pointed him. His head hung as he began his walk contemplating what had gone wrong? Failing his trial into the Grey Guard, being disowned, or worse finding himself labeled a dreamer the very thing he wanted to protect his beloved family from. He felt a shiver of fear and humiliation run down his spine. He shook his head and arms loosely much as a boxer does before a prize fight. “I’ll survive this he spoke aloud,” after all he thought isn’t that what I’ve been doing since I was abandoned, surviving day in and day out? The thought did as they had done many times before urging him forward. “I’m a survivor!” he yelled at the top of his lungs as he began jogging forward through the gloom unaware of what laid ahead hoping to find this group if they were even alive still.

DeletedUser

Artemis followed the rest back to the cave focusing all of his emotions into carving the branch. He carved a point into the end of the branch, using the knife he had hidden in his sleeve, and hardened the point of the impromptu spear with the fire that was burning in the cave. Having done as best as he could with what he had Artemis went to sleep wedging himself into a somewhat comfortable position.

When Artemis went to sleep he dreamed about wandering that land that he had from his Dream, always looking into the distance and wondering what could be beyond the horizon.

Artemis woke, when Varus gently shook his shoulder, to the noise of those still wishing to sleep. He stood up groggily and began stretching out the kink in his neck as he listened to Varus's lecture on how to survive and received his supply of berries and water flask. The flask vaguely rung a bell but he felt to groggy to try and figure out what it was so he put the flask in one of his inner coat pockets grabbed his Glaive and spear and followed Varus out the cave and popped a few berries into his mouth.
"Mornings..."

DeletedUser13682

As the group made final preparations, Varus explained the travel plan. They would head to the fragment, taking a detour through a water source to refill their water skins. Then it was off to retrieve the first fragment and begin the restoration of the sun. Carolyn didn't know what they would have to do to retrieve the fragment, and that was worrisome. But whatever the future held, as long as Arclight Varus was around, they would all be safe.

As they exited the cave, Varus climbed up a tree and retrieved a bag of unknown items, hopefully nothing too nasty, or nasty at all. He then summoned his bow and led the way. Carolyn was understandably worried about Varus's statement about finding food. To give herself a bit of reassurance, Carolyn began whistling while keeping a nervous lookout and a tight grip on her Messer.

DeletedUser

The looming darkness had soon put an end to the brisk pace Amos had been striving to maintain. His face was flushed as he stopped for a minute his hands resting on his knees as he inhaled a mouth full of dust suddenly kicked up by the wind. His eyes watered as he grasped his throat which felt blocked by the grit. He coughed harshly as he fell onto his face. His tight white shirt was now an off brown color as he thrashed around on the ground trying to clear his throat and inhale oxygen his body was now pleading for. A minute passed before he was able to control his cough and clear his airway. He sighed deeply in anger, “I hope the others are having just as hard of a go at this as I am,” he grumbled and spit a mouth full of saliva and grit. His strong legs pushed him back up and he continued on in the direction his foot prints had been leading. Yawning he began to wander what he would do for shelter, food, and more importantly water as his mouth was now more parched than ever.