The Chains of Arunsia

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

DeletedUser31931

Perran listened to the way Varrus explained it and apologised "Sorry, it's just... the way you said it, made me think that there were others in here in the cave with us aside from our group, like a resistance or something." He turned back to the group and spoke "As for my Dream, it was a man, Arclight, who was facing against a black mist. The mist became and figure and said it was going to destroy something in the sky, the sun it called it. All the world was light and the Sun glowed radiantly. Then the figure dissipated, and Arclight said he had to go visit a lady and tell her that this threat existed, even though the fool was raving mad to think he could take out 'the sun'." He finished explaining his Dream and waited for another person to put theirs forward.

Apelatia

Melk sat down in a corner of the cave, having been handed a waterskin, which he had only just managed to catch, having never been very good at catching things. He had also been given some berries, which thankfully, he had always liked back when he lived in the city. Munching on the berries, which did taste rather nice, Melk thought about his Dream. Should he share it? If so, why should he? The man said that he could explain the rest. Well, that didn't matter...he could explain everything without knowing the specifics of Melk's Dream. After all it was the only thing he had left to hang onto...Fliana, his best friend, the kind merchant... They were all gone now, and he was no longer in possession of his falchion...He would sort that out soon enough... Why??? Why did it have to be him... That Dream!!! He despised it...but it was the only thing he had left, so he would have to treasure it. Sitting there, he watched the proceedings in silence, while munching his portion of the berries, having heeded the purple man's warnings not to drink too much of his wineskin early enough.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Artemis went with the rest into Varus's cave it was spacious but it was still a cave with the only real evidence that anyone had been here being a pile of berries and another of water skins. Varus threw a waterskin to each of the dreamers and suggested that they talk about their dreams. Perran went first and talked of a man who met a being of mist who said that it would destroy the sun. Could that be what it is called...

Artemis cleared his throat to begin telling his dream. He envied Perran his dream had speech in it and it was easier to relate, all Artemis had was images and he had never felt he was a good storyteller. " My dream is not as simple as yours Perran and yet it might be. I saw a land of wealth and prosperity, the land was green and the sky clear and bright with a great golden orb which illuminated everything. I saw a massive city brimming with life, a great statue of a woman standing at its center. I saw small towns set in the wilderness safe and happy. As my view continues to sweep the land I looked into the distance and saw dark clouds approach from the horizon. A lovely dream, if only I didn't have the feeling that the clouds spelled the end of that peaceful land." Artemis finished sitting down against one of the walls of the cave.

DeletedUser13682

They had finally arrived at the cave, though to Carolyn it appeared to be no more than a hole in the ground. How would they all fit inside the place? But, one by one, the group filed into the cave, until only Carolyn was left. When she entered, it was discovered that the cave was not as small as it appeared. "By Goddess, it's smaller on the outside!" Carolyn exclaimed. By quite a bit, with plenty of room for the occupants, provisions, and stretching out. After receiving her waterskin and berries, Carolyn sat down in a corner, almost laying down. She had walked a long way, and had gone a long time without water. She didn't even know she was as tired as she was until she sat down. It was this tiredness that prevented Carolyn from drinking all her water at once.

Varus had suggested the group share their Dreams. The noble Perran described his first, a confrontation between the Arclight and a madman or madmist who wanted to take out something called the sun. It sounded like a giant lamp, like the one at the top of the Tower of the Four Ladies. The idea of a giant lamp in the sky seemed crazier than someone wanting to put it out. There was a quiet in the conversation, and Carolyn decided to fill it with her Dream.

"My dream was of Varus. He wasn't purple and black, but looked like a typical human in typical clothes, except for the tattoos. The scarf was white, the hair was brown, but both worn the same way. I, she, I don't know who, summoned him into a room like the one we met the King in, but larger and more ornate. My, her voice is, was more beautiful than the best harps in existence. I, she asked Varus if the people are, were happy, something I, she did every year. They are, were, apparently prospering under me, her, as I, she keep, kept the evils of the world away.

"I, she told Varus about the light in the Far East fading. I, she feared that meant an evil will be, was coming. I, she sent Varus to investigate with orders to fight evil only if he felt confident in defeating his opponents. I believe that as my, her Arclight, that was his job, to investigate and defeat evil. Then from a glove on his left hand, an ornate, old style, stringless bow of gold, silver, and bronze materialized. He departed, saying he was confident he would eliminate the evil. After he left, I, she said 'Good luck Varus, my sweet sweet child.'. I, she then closed my, her eyes. This is my Dream. Forgive me for the pronouns. Though just a Dream, I find it difficult to separate myself from the Lady, for I experienced everything from her view."

DeletedUser35174

Jack was last to enter the cave, as Carolyn said, it was smaller from the outside. He thanked Varus with a polite nod as he gave Jack a skin full of water and some berries. Only now did jack noticed how hungry he felt, quickly he swallowed to of the berries, leaving a few for later. Jack then suggested each one mention their dreams, Perran said his first then Artemis then Carolyn. Jack couldn't help but notice how similar his dream and Artemis was, "Artemis mine was similar to yours, A rich and prosperous land. Then waves of black clouds swept across the city. I remember an orb, a glowing orb. It cast light on the land, it... it exploded and fragments fell to the ground. The only light now was form the stars, but..... the.. the clouds.... the black clouds they blocked the stars from view causing everything to go dark" said Jack mentioning his dream as he remembered it. He noticed his forehead was sweating, taking a deep sigh he leaned against the wall of the cave.

DeletedUser

Threut listened carefully as the others explained their dreams one by one. The completed piece, as he guessed at was of a gloriously happy city bathed in sunlight, which was being approached by a darkness from the far east, which put out the sun.
It fitted with his own dream. After sipping from his waterskin. Threut told his own tale; "My dream was of two people; Varus; but as Carolyn described him. And a tall, beautiful woman in anguish. They were defending a glorious city from giant hordes of dark creatures. They were struggling, but holding. But then a dragon came into view, its rider leapt off and sent Varus flying, and bound the woman, before turning everything black." He explained, looking around at the others to judge their reactions.

DeletedUser28032

Upon entering the cave Gilly found herself feeling slightly disappointed at what lay within the cave he lied to me...he said it was magic this isn't magic its just a cave! she silently complained vowing never to trust the purple mans word again as she settled down against the rough stone wall in order to give her legs a much needed rest.
Gratefully accepting the water skin she takes several sips before replacing the stopper and hanging it over her shoulder for later the berries however were a different matter entirely. Having never seen such a tiny and strange coloured fruit before she found herself quietly speculating that ol' Johnny Blackhand’s was trying to poison them with his strange purple fruit, though upon seeing the others begin eating with apparent relish decided that perhaps that wasn't the case though she still wouldn't eat any of them just yet...or at least until she was sure that none of the others were about to double over in pain as a result of them.
With the food and drink now handed out he urges the others to discuss their dreams and one by one they comply weaving a tale of how a prosperous land had been plunged into darkness despite the efforts of Varus and another mystery woman who had been taken as a prisoner by a dark being.
Suddenly seeing where her dream would fit in and how the others would want her to talk about it Gilly feels her stomach knot in a way that no amount of poisonous berries could replicate "Well its been nice meeting you all but I'd better get going...my brother Gale will be coming to collect me soon" she announces in a quiet voice, rising up off of the cave floor and heading towards the exit as she does so, the make up she wore hiding the ashen shade her skin had suddenly turned but not the look of fear in her eyes.
She didn't want to relive that night, no once was bad enough and she'd be damned if she would tell it in front of all these strangers. There was no bright light in her dream that was for sure.

Deleted User - 819397

Varus had been leaning up against a wall of the cave, his face in shadow as the Dreamers began to tell their Dreams. Once you put them out there, it was fairly obvious which one went where and how they related to each other. Now that he knew what story was being told, he could guess what the remaining two fragments were. However, the crazier girl...he still didn't know half these peoples' names, he realized...flat out refused to share, muttering something about a brother "coming to collect her," and attempting to leave. "If he isn't here, he's not coming." The corrupted man spoke for the first time since the others started compiling their Dreams, his voice rough, as though he was holding back emotion. "If he didn't Dream, he won't be out here. He wasn't a threat to the city. I'm sorry." His head tilted, and he continued, "If she needs a moment to be ready to share her Dream, then why don't you go...Melk, right? The story is only missing a couple pieces, and we need them both, so go ahead and share." The most painful memories had already been spoken. All that remained now was the aftermath. His left hand twitched, corruption glowing purple briefly as he remembered what had happened. Once the final two Dreams were shared, he'd be able to explain everything to them.

DeletedUser28032

"You shut your lying mouth Johnny!" she screams turning to point accusingly at Varus the hand in question trembling as she continued to speak "...you know nothing, Gales coming ok?, he wouldn't leave me he...he wouldn't, he promised..." she stood for several moments within the gloom of the cave as her vision doubled then trebled as tears filled her eyes before finally storming out.
I don't need them...I don't need any of them especially that lying purple scumbag Johnny! No, Gale will find me he has to find me; he wouldn't leave me out here all alone...would he? For several horrifying moments she tries to imagine life without her brother by her side, looking back over her shoulder towards the caves entrance knowing that it wouldn't be too late to go back and apologise perhaps even she could tell one of them about her dream if not all, after all Carolyn had seemed quite nice.
"No he's coming...to hell with them" she mutters determinedly before heading out into the trees cuffing away the tears in her eyes as she does so and having no plan other than to hope that Gale would find her. The alternate was too unbearable to even to think about.

Apelatia

Melk leaded forward from his resting position against the back of the cave, and thought deep and hard...If he shared his dream, he would have...nothing. Nothing to hold onto. Nothing that could be his own...and if he shared it, then what? He might gain the approval of the group, and they would be better off because of it, but without Gilly's part of the Dream sequence, they wouldn't be able to do much, unless the purple man somehow already knew the specifics of their Dreams, meaning...Why did they even have to share them in the first place? He knew his own life story didn't he? No...Sharing wasn't something he was prepared to do. Much less to a bunch of total strangers! Clasping his hand into a fist, he summoned up his courage. "N...n...no, I won't share my D...D...Dream. It's the only....thing I have left... Everything...it's all gone. Even if...the memory of the Dream was horrible, I will still hold onto it..." Placing his head in his hands, he began to sob quietly. All his hopelessness, fear, rage and insecurity he poured into those tears... Nothing....he had NOTHING!

DeletedUser35174

Jack sat silently in the corner trying to connect all the dreams, Varus then asked Melk and Gilly to share theirs. Gilly refused, believing that someone by the name of Gale would come get her. With that empty hope she stormed out of the cave, taking her Dream with her. Jack pitied her, he though about going after her but decided it was best not to. Turning his eyes towards Melk, he waited for a response. "N...n...no, I won't share my D...D...Dream. It's the only....thing I have left... Everything...it's all gone. Even if...the memory of the Dream was horrible, I will still hold onto it..." was his reply. Jack felt the fear in those words. He felt sorry for the young man, he was too young to be out here. Jack took in a deep breath, "well....you've got us" he said to Melk.

Deleted User - 819397

The crazed girl didn't take well to his attempt at explaining that her brother wouldn't be coming and stormed off. As she left, the corruption covering Varus' right hand glowed bright purple, something dark forming in the middle. He threw it at her, then leaned back against the cave wall. "That'll let me know if she winds up biting off more than she can chew," he explained. "It'll float right behind her...no way to see it without a reflective surface. It's honestly the only thing I don't mind about the corruption...the crystals. Several uses...anyway, Melk?"

However, it seemed that the boy wasn't keen to share, something about having nothing left if he did give the story away. Jack explained that he had the other Dreamers, and Varus smiled for the first time. They were starting to help each other...that was good, vital even, for their survival. "You may not believe it, Melk...but I'm on your side too. I promise."

The corrupted man stood upright and walked into the less-dark portion of the space. "Well, I'll do my best to explain around the missing fragments for now. When the other two share, I'll be able to fill in a couple gaps about myself. However, the most important Dreams for the greater problem have been shown. Our land was cast into darkness by a man whose name I don't know. He tore apart the Sun, the giant orb radiating light that some of you saw, which weakened the power of those who lived in the light. Namely, it weakened the Archbeing I was beholden to, which in turn weakened me. The man took advantage of that and took over, hiding the bound Archbeing away.

"What happened after I recovered from the fight was a race for the fragments of the Sun. Or rather, I tried to beat his monsters to the fragments. The orb had split into seven pieces, shrinking in size and light until they looked like ordinary gemstones, albeit ones that glowed under their own power and were unusually warm to the touch. I couldn't get to six of them in time, but the seventh I did...and you see it now in my headband. Since no horde of monsters hunted me down, I can only assume he was content to let one lie where it fell, thinking no one would find it, or if they did, recognize it. Its power is just enough to hold my corruption at bay. It also points me toward one of the other fragments...I'm guessing the one it was connected to. Thanks to Artemis, I know Drashk has another. Unfortunately, they're well-guarded...I can't get at the one my fragment is drawn toward alone, and there's absolutely no chance to get to the one Drashk has without help.

"Now, you can probably see where I'm going with this, and you may be thinking that there's no way you want to help me on a possibly suicidal mission. However, let me tell you that being out here is suicide in and of itself. You will die prematurely out here, no matter how careful you are. I may be immortal, but I can still be felled by a weapon, be it sword, tooth, claw, or anything else, so I'm in the same boat. If no one fixes the Sun and kills the man behind all this, when you die, your Dream will be given to someone else. They will be cast out, and the pattern will repeat. There's no way around this. I'm asking you to help me free Arunsia...that was the name for this land, before the fall...from the chains of this man. He became stronger when the Sun went out...if we restore it, it will surely weaken him, giving us the chance to strike. I'll do my best to keep you alive, to train you to fight, or, if you don't want to fight, then to observe the monsters to figure out where they're weak so you can tell us when and where to strike. I swear I won't intentionally let something happen to you, and I promise that I believe that everything I've said is true. Heck, as the former Arclight, personal aid to the Archbeing, I don't have the capacity to lie. I can dodge questions, but if I tell you something, it is what I believe to be the truth. My arrows always find their mark, that hasn't changed."

Throughout his speech, Varus had gotten more and more worked up. He was breathing heavily when he finished. He looked around at all of them. "So. What do you say?"

---------------------------
Gilly

The ever-present dark scenery was somewhat off-putting. Now that she had left the cave, it was dead silent, casing an eery tone over the scene. Aside from her, nothing seemed to be moving. But perhaps that was only how things seemed. Perhaps there was someone...or something...around. She couldn't be sure.

DeletedUser28032

Moving further and further away from the cave she couldn't help but notice how unwelcoming the clusters of trees seemed within the perpetual half light... and the silence! Had it been this quiet before? She wasn't sure... perhaps it had been or maybe the silence was been caused by something else.
Suddenly feeling that something was watching her she spins around with had hand clutching the handle of her knife only to find nothing behind her but the grassy field and the low rocky hill in which the cave had been this was not a very good idea was it? she thinks to herself; biting her bottom lip as she searches the shadows for any sign that she was being followed and finding none.
Deciding that it would be safer to take shelter within one of the trees for a little while she nimbly scales the one nearest to her and perches herself within the crook of one of the higher branches I'll be able to see if anything is following me from here and see Gale when he comes she thinks to herself skilfully juggling a few of the berries before popping one into her mouth and deciding that they weren't that bad if a little sweet though had she realised that she was going to be exiled today she'd have made a better effort to finish her breakfast gods knew where she was going to find any bacon out here

DeletedUser31931

Perran sat there as the Varrus made his speech, filling in the gaps. He knew that he wouldn't survive long out here anyway and therefore he might put his new life towards something productive. Maybe, just maybe if they succeeded, he could show his family he didn't need them. Yeah, that would be good. "I'll go with you, even if the others won't." Perran bravely ventured starting to get some emotion back into his voice, returning to the world from his drone like state. "I'd rather put my life towards something than just sit around here and die."

DeletedUser13682

Gilly had left. She was afraid, Carolyn saw it in her eyes, and that fear had created a false hope of rescue from her brother, Gale Swann. If Gilly didn't want to share her Dream, that was fine with Carolyn. But since they were out in the wild beyond, the group needed to stay together. This was bad. Gilly would die alone. Since nobody else was taking any initiative, Carolyn decided to find Gilly, even though it scared the living candlelight out of her.

"I'm going to find Gilly," Carolyn announced, right when Melk decided not to share his dream. Stepping outside into the wood, Carolyn began to head in the direction she thought Gilly went. "Gilandria, where are you?" Carolyn yelled out. "We need you back with the group. You're a good fighter. Besides, you're more likely to die if you're alone, and I think Gale would prefer you to be alive."

DeletedUser

Artemis listened as some of the others told their dreams. The story seemed to be that a man made of mist decided that he would destroy the sun and take over the world. It seemed that Varus used to be a Arclight, some kind of vassal. The story looked like it was nearing an end and judging by how the boy and harlequin were acting it wan't a particularly good end. Melk seemed like he was going to have a nervous breakdown and Gilandria was having one. Driven crazy by the loss of her brother and whatever she saw in that dream, Gilandria ran out of the cave rejecting the idea that her brother wouldn't be coming. Artemis guessed he could relate it was difficult to let go of your old life.

Artemis pushed himself up with his glaive, I can't very well leave her to die alone now can I, He thought as he walked towards the entrance of the cave. Carolyn beat him to the entrance and declared that she would go find her. "I'm going too." He said simply before following Carolyn out into the gloom. Besides Carolyn's calls there was no noise. Artemis felt like he was being watched, it could just be paranoia but supposedly there were monsters everywhere outside Haven. Artemis kept his eyes peeled for any movement occasionally looking up the trees there could be monsters hiding in them as well.

DeletedUser

Gilandria seemed to slip back into her madness, intent on the idea that her brother was coming to get her, she refused to share her Dream and ran out of the cave. Melk also refused to share his Dream, saying it was the only thing he had left. Threut was about to speak when Jack stated that Melk had the group.
Then Varus stepped up and did his best to explain what their Dreams showed. The fall of the glorious city and the splitting of the sun, leading to the current situation. It made sense. Varus then explained that in order to get the sun back they would have to find six gems, and piece them back together.
Perran agreed to help fight, meanwhile Carolyn and Artemis went to find Gilandria.
Threut nodded to Varus. "Although I doubt my usefulness on such... suicide missions I shall pledge my allegiance to help in any way that you deem satisfactory." He stated.
The philospher stood up and stepped forwards. "Would you like me to go and help find Gilandria? If she is found then perhaps I will be able to help her recover a vestige of sanity."

DeletedUser28032

This had been a REALLY bad idea She silently thinks to herself, her eyes fixed upon a nearby copse of trees in which she was certain she had seen movement...or perhaps it was only what her sudden case of paranoia told her she'd seen.
"Come on Gale, please I need you" she quietly begged from her perch within the tree before scanning the horizon again.
Upon hearing her name being called she follows the sound to see Carolyn and Artemis walking through the trees obviously looking for her. As touching as the gesture was Gilly was currently more afraid of whatever she had seen or thought she had seen lurking within the shadows following the sound of Carolyn’s calls and killing them all.
Taking one of the berries from out of the small pouch on her belt she hesitates for a few seconds wondering whether it would be better to simply let them walk past her unseen before quickly deciding against it and throwing the tiny piece of fruit at the other girl.
Upon attracting her attention by bouncing the berry off of her forehead Gilly places a single finger against her painted lips before slowly pointing at the nearby copse hoping that the fearful look on her face would get across what she was trying to tell them.
Carefully climbing down to one of the lower branches she carefully checks that the coast was clear before leaping out of the tree to perform a landing to rival that of Varus'. Casting fearful glances towards the copse as she goes Gilandria makes her way over to where the others were currently stood "I've decided that perhaps it might be a better idea if I wait with you guys until Gale arrives" she says sheepishly before once again looking over her shoulder "...also I don't trust those trees, they look a little...iffy to me"

Deleted User - 819397

Perran and Threut agreed to help Varus fix the world. "It's not a suicide mission, though," the corrupted man corrected Threut. "It's just actively seeking out threats instead of letting them sneak up on you...honestly, the passive way is more dangerous...the hunter is the one that gets the jump on the prey, not the other way around." He then sighed. "I got so worked up, I didn't realize practically half the group left to look for her...I told them I'd know if she was in trouble...the crystal...there's nothing yet...oh, wait..." his right hand started glowing softly. "Ok, now there's something. Let's go."

It appeared she hadn't gone far, as the others had easily found her. However, there was something...unnatural about the way the air felt. Varus looked around, trying to spot something out of the ordinary. Without warning, he lowered into a crouch, a bow sprouting to life from his left hand. Assuming that it was the same bow some had seen in their Dreams, it had undergone a process similar to its wielder. Gone was the elegant gold, silver, and bronze design. It looked like something straight out of a nightmare. Black, inlaid with lines of pulsing purple light, its edges split off, forming harsh, thorny points. Worse, it seemed to be alive, the points expanding and contracting ever so slightly as if it were breathing.

Varus pulled back on the air with his right hand, and a reddish-purple arrow appeared. It seemed that, even corrupted, the man still had some light left in him, as the red glowed similarly to that of the sun fragments the group had seen. He growled as he continued to pull back, and the bow underwent a startling transformation. First it expanded to twice its normal width, then the ends split in two, forming an odd shape that ultimately looked like two bows, each held diagonally. The corrupted man let the arrow fly, the bolt shooting into the gloom. The bow quickly contracted back to its original state, no longer being called upon to fire. A second passed, then a shriek could be heard. Motioning for the others to wait, he ran forward, following the same path the arrow had taken as his bow collapsed upon itself, losing functionality but allowing for faster movement.

A moment later he returned, carrying a large reptilian corpse. He set it down, saying "We're ok...this was only a scout for a larger beast. Its scales don't function as armor, unlike most things like it. My arrow cut through it, though it took another to finish it off when I found it. I brought it back so you could take a look. This is one of the lesser creatures out there. Size doesn't matter out here...it's not the size of the claws, but the power and cunning behind them." He rolled it over so the Dreamers could see it clearly. It was roughly half the size of a human, with a lizardesque head and body, though it was clear it walked on two legs. Its teeth were made for tearing flesh, and its claws for rending the same. It looked vicious, and yet, according to the corrupted man, it was a lesser creature out here.

Varus' bow, which he'd still been holding on to, vanished as the man stretched. "This thing makes for good food, so I'll clean it up and smoke the meat...might as well ensure a good meal or two, eh? In the meantime, I'll catch those of you that left up on what the others know about. Melk, Jack, I could use your answers to my proposal...and Gilly and Melk, if you want to share your Dreams, go right ahead." As he set to work, he began to repeat his speech about what he wanted them to help him with, hoping they'd agree like Perran and Threut had.

(I'm not typing all of his arguments up again...just read my previous post for that)

DeletedUser13682

"Gilandria, please come out. We really need you. Please Gila..." An object hit Carolyn on the forehead, interrupting her search. When she took her finger away from the spot, it was blue. Looking at where the blueberry came from, Carolyn saw Gilly sitting in a tree, holding a finger to her mouth and pointing at a rotting corpse. After Carolyn nodded understanding, Gilly came down and announced her return to the group and her distrust of the trees.

Just then, Varus arrived with the rest of the group, though Artemis had somehow gotten to them a lot quicker. Suddenly, Varus crouched and summoned his bow, not the beautiful and ornate masterpiece in Carolyn's dream, but a diseased, corrupted version of the bow. As he prepared an arrow for launch, the bow grew and morphed into two bows held diagonally. After the red arrow was loosed, the bow returned to its previous state. Varus then left to claim his prize.

When he returned, Varus wasn't alone. With him was the corpse of a small, predatory, bipedal lizard thing. It looked nasty enough dead, Carolyn was glad she hadn't seen it alive. Carolyn hoped that it tasted better than it looked. As Varus was cleaning the creature, he repeated his speech, about the sun being destroyed, broken up into 7 crystals, how one crystal was keeping Varus from being totally corrupted. Varus wanted help retrieving the other six crystals to restore the sun to its former place in the sky and free the world from the evil man who destroyed the sun. "Fighting alongside the Arclight sounds much better than fighting against the Arclight. And since the only other option is to die alone, so I'll fight with you."