Shopping Passes

DeletedUser

And it is a good idea, obviously since approval is almost universal in the thread, but the devs might not like it since it's a fundamental change in the game, basically undoing the limits on stores for nonresidents. Of course, we do that every day anyway, so they might as well make it official.

DeletedUser

It's always a pleasant surprise when the rain stops and the sun comes out.

Edit: What, is this better? Without rain there wouldn't be any rainbows! Ack...now I've gotta go kill a puppy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I like the idea behind this, but it is just an elaborate way of lowering the out-of-town shopper price rather than an idea that makes sense in its own right.

It seems a lot simpler just to drop the OOT price to 20% higher than town price and have half of that profit go to the town treasury. That way the price you see in the shop is the price you pay, with no fumbling around to buy tickets that get the price of other goods to change. It also ensures that the price you pay is reasonable for any level of good. A fixed price ticket is never going to be a "fair" price for both the greenhorn looking to buy a black bandanna or a mule and the high level westie looking for that gatling gun 'o' doom.

DeletedUser

Its not about lowering the out of town shopping price. Everyone gets around that by joining a town to shop. No one is paying the out of town price for anything. This is about:

1. not having to have an open spot available in your town in order to accept someone that wants to shop
2. ensuring you get a donation from the shopper
3. ensuring the shopper doesn't have access to the towns forum, treasury or residents page information.

Even if the prices for OOT were lowered you would still have those 3 problems. Those are the problems that this solves.

DeletedUser

Read my post again. It achieves all that. You get the shopping pass price as the 20% overhead. Job done, and solves your 1, 2, 3 with less effort.

You want a shopping object (new item) tied to the town where you bought it from (new code) that changes the prices of all other objects if owned (new code) that times out after a certain length of time or number of purchases (new code.) That's a lot of work for an idea that can be enabled in a simpler way: global adjustment of the store price to OOT players and adjustment to the formula for determining how much the treasury gets (no new code.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

There may be people I don't want to shop in my town. Say my town is in a war with another town and we have a really excellent gunsmith. I don't want my enemy to be able to buy a new weapon in my town to help KO my town mates. If the passes were counsel issued it would make that impossible. Not saying they couldn't just go to another town to buy that item but at least they wouldn't be getting it from my town.

DeletedUser

But a.f.a.i.k. the idea as it stands is for the shopping pass to be purchased from your shops. You don't get to say who buys one anyway. If you have to send it out like an invite then its going to be harder to charge a price for it and doesn't reduce the administrative overhead for the town controllers as much.

If/when they allow towns to formally declare war on other towns I dare say they will enact a block against shopping/sleeping in enemy towns, but that's not part of this idea. On the whole you want people buying from your town - you get to build with the profits.

DeletedUser

Read my post again. It achieves all that. You get the shopping pass price as the 20% overhead. Job done, and solves your 1, 2, 3 with less effort.
Your suggestion doesn't allow purchase of the top 2 levels of items by visitors, though, so it still fails here (although I support it anyway, for the good it does do).

DeletedUser

You want a shopping object (new item) tied to the town where you bought it from (new code) that changes the prices of all other objects if owned (new code) that times out after a certain length of time or number of purchases (new code.) That's a lot of work for an idea that can be enabled in a simpler way: global adjustment of the store price to OOT players and adjustment to the formula for determining how much the treasury gets (no new code.)

I think your idea Grumbold is a better solution.

DeletedUser

Your suggestion doesn't allow purchase of the top 2 levels of items by visitors, though, so it still fails here (although I support it anyway, for the good it does do).

Thanks Luap. I rather thought that towns would definitely want their best items to be available by invitation only. Keeps control of them firmly in the hands of the town officials :D

... of course if player to player trade or trade-via- auction comes in at some point, they'll just be on the open market if town members want to make a fast buck but we can't control that here :eek:hmy:

Red Falcon

I will vote yes for this idea, but only because The West is not based on any real life events from the actual days of the Wild West.

DeletedUser

I still don't know if the devs will go for it, since it's a fundamental change to one aspect of the game, but I think the idea is ready and everyone seems to like it.

DeletedUser5046

i am all for it..

question:

is it one pass per item?

and if ever implemented will it be available at GS lvl 1?

DeletedUser

I know this thread is kind of old, but I have some Ideas that may prove some worth.

From a developer's perspective I don't think this would be difficult, depending on the way it was implemented. :D

I would recommend implementing them in the following way:

• The shopping pass is for n hours. ( I think 24 hours is enough )
  • You do NOT become a member of the town, you get the pass from, instead your account would be flagged that you have a pass, and only your view inside the shops would be that of a town member.
  • Each Town can issue n Shopping Passes at a time (I would say 1 pass at a time).
I don't think this would be much different then how the premium accounts are handled.

DeletedUser

@valholla: I took the liberty of moving your post to the much more developed shopping pass thread that was linked in the one you originally posted it. I was actually thinking about bumping this today.

DeletedUser14192

6. No gain from actual items purchased.

what does that mean? Like that the Town doesn't receive money for the item which is bought (ie. Town made 15 dollars due to sell of an item) or the attribute points of lets say a purchased 'golden bullet' doesn't give anything gained?