Sexual Orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I wonder, what are your views about someone's choice of who they want to spend thier life with? Are you yourself homosexual? Do you approve of it? Etc.

Quite honestly, I think we're all a little gay, just at different levels.
I, for one, really have no clue about myself, but am completely accepting of homosexuals and the like.

DeletedUser

I'm not homosexual myself. I think they can go do whatever they want, but I don't need to know about it. It's cool with me as long as you don't wear it like a badge.

As for marriage, I think same sex couples should be allowed something that gives them the rights of a married couple, but we call it something else. After all, married homosexuals don't always refer to their spouses as husbands or wives. I usually hear them use the word partner. I live in Massachusetts, so I'm no stranger to this issue.

DeletedUser13636

To each their own.....

I believe to each their own my friend. Personally I am heterosexual. This seems an odd topic for discussion here in the west forum, but I am interested to see how this turns out.

DeletedUser

There is no half-dead, half-pregnant or half-gay. You cannot be a little gay, you are either homosexual or heterosexual. Sure we have strong bonds with people from the same gender and we even love people from the same gender, but that's just how friendship works. And I mean love in the sense of the word where you care extremely much for a given person.

I can't judge anyone for his orientation and I don't know any gay people, however, I don't like them that much. Can't make the change and don't want to make them change, but I also don't want to be involved with them. It's a choice someone made and I respect it.

DeletedUser

Based on what the Bible says i don't really approve of it, but i don't have the right to condemn it, that's just my opinion, im not trying to start a word war again, im just doing what the topic said, to state your opinion.

However, if i might say, people call you intolerant if you disapprove of Homosexuals or gay marriage, but really, you can look at it this way, they are intolerant of my views, so either way, someone is called intolerant.

But that's just me talking.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

However, if i might say, people call you intolerant if you disapprove of Homosexuals or gay marriage, but really, you can look at it this way, they are intolerant of my views, so either way, someone is called intolerant.

If a gay couple marries, that goes against your opinion and personal ideas of an ideal world.
If a gay couple is prohibited from marriage, it has an impact on their life, socially and economically.

You say both views are intolerant and there's no difference?

DeletedUser

Not really, im just making ann observation, a gay person views someone who doesn't approve of their lifestyle intolerant, but those who go against straight people, are intolerant of their being straight, it's a double standard on either side.

Like i said, i don't want a word war

DeletedUser

Not really, im just making ann observation, a gay person views someone who doesn't approve of their lifestyle intolerant, but those who go against straight people, are intolerant of their being straight, it's a double standard on either side.

Like i said, i don't want a word war

First off, saying you don't want a word war and starting one anyway, is rather childish in my opinion.

Secondly, I'm really interested in how someone can think it's equally intolerant when someone gets a negative response on their opinion and when someone is not being socially accepted and forced to pay more taxes i.e. (additionally to a negative response on their opinion).

DeletedUser

alright, i get it, this is exactly what i was afraid of, im sorry for offending you.

DeletedUser

I don't really care one way or another. I know I have some friends and relatives who are gay, some who are straight and some I've no idea about.

DeletedUser13020

I don't mind gay people. I just hate it when they feel like they have to remind everyone around em how gay the are. Like the whole world revolves around their level of gayness.

DeletedUser

I don't mind gay people. I just hate it when they feel like they have to remind everyone around em how gay the are. Like the whole world revolves around their level of gayness.

Amen!

In all honesty, being gay is actually a legal crime.

DeletedUser

What an interesting topic.

During the last ten years or so, I have been thinking more and more about why so many people dislike, feel disgust or even outright hostility towards homosexuals. Why?

To start this, I have always defined myself as a heterosexual. But increasingly I have started to think think that sexual labels are quite useless. I have grown to believe that we as humans are all capable of feeling some sort of sexual attraction to persons of different genders, given the right circumstances. Most people might not act on it, but that does not mean that it didn't happen.

The reason that the vast majority of us regard ourself as nothing but heterosexuals must be seen in the context of the societies we live in. For millennia societies dominated by the Abrahamic religions have oppressed, criminalized and murdered homosexuals. This still goes on in parts of the world and it is really only in the last two, maybe three decades that gay people have been able to be relatively open about their way of life in some western countries. That is a blink of an eye from a historical view-point, and in other countries it is still as bad as ever. In that context I find it surprising that anyone dare define themselves as gay, I put it down to human courage. ;)

Let me give you one rather clear example of how utterly disgusting that oppression has been/is. Alan Turing was born in the UK in 1912. During WWII he was instrumental in the breaking of the ENIGMA code. As an individual, Turing probably made as great a contribution to the defeat of nazi-Germany as any statesman or general did. You would suppose he was honoured and cherished until his dying days? No. In 1952 he was convicted of 'gross indecency' and sentenced to chemical castration by a series of injections of female hormones. His crime? It had come to light that he was gay. Two years later he committed suicide.
In 2009, 55 years later, PM Brown issued an apology. Rather late, one might think. Better late than never, of course, but what kind of a society treats its heroes in such a way?

Let me give you another example of a very different society. In ancient Sparta (you know, 300) homosexuality was institutionalised. All young Spartan men where brought up to be fearless, perfect warriors. And to be gay. Here we have a society which, quite opposite to ours, expected and demanded their males to have homosexual relationships. All of a sudden, everyone it seems, were gay.
KILLTHEHIPPIE
, Blondie14 and -TP-. Had you been born as ancient Spartan males, would had you been the only straight ones? Peril, would you have?

My point is that different sexual feelings/orientations are quite natural to human beings. Are we as individuals more inclined to one side or the other? Maybe. But I think that the biggest reason for us wanting to put specific labels on ourselves (and everyone around us) is because that is what our society expects us to do. Had this been a 100% percent neutral subject, I would expect you, me, as well as most Spartan warriors, to have had different sexual experiences during our life-times, not thinking too much about what gender our partner(s) might have had.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

D. Saint, I see a great tacticle advantage in being an all-gay army. Not only would soldiers fight stronger and closer (and no, not because of that,) but they would fight for eachother not as friends or allies, but as lovers. Also, it would lower the chance of them to start families, which would be an emotional anchor. Not to mention, they would also be able to resist sexual bribes from enemies, or traps where sex appeal was a large component of.

DeletedUser

Homosexuality is a personal preference, determined either by A. genetic mentality, or B. Chosen mentality. Personally, I am ok with gay people and am around them plenty. We joke alot and have a good time. Sure, gay people have liked me a bit too much and I don't even have to lift a finger to say no because they already know I am heterosexual, but I HATE IT when there is some form of romance media about gay people. Movies and songs involving homosexuality are taboo for me, as I don't need to know the life story of some gay guy whom I do not know and being with a guy sadly isn't my preference so I see no use in watching a gay-romance.

Brokeback-Mountain.jpg

*Throws pie*

DeletedUser

D. Saint I ask you: you really think that each and every one of us at least once in our life time were attracted to a person from the same gender? Well, if you want to know my answer first, that is: I don't think so.
Also: you really think there is no person on earth that can be disgusted by gay people without being influenced by the society? My answer is: there are such people and one of them is me.
I have nothing against them, just don't like to see them. Women dressing and acting like men and men dressing and acting like women is disgusting to me. They look ridiculous, even the ones that do make it believable. I care less about what the society thinks or should think. This is my honest and uninfluenced opinion, whether you like it or not. And don't think for one second that each and every one of those spartans enjoyed the treatment.
Since you brought ancient cultures into discussion I am going to talk the little I know about them, two in particular: roman and greek. I don't need info from wiki for what I would like to say. Sexuality wasn't so taboo, like it was a century ago and like it still is. Orgies were commonly practiced, even by the high society (see Caligula), but this doesn't mean that each and every one of them were embracing these practices. Male homosexuality was more present in Greece than it was in the Roman Empire (or Republic) and what happened? God! Yes. Rules of life. People turned to one God and started following rules. Why? Because they were tired of these sexual practices, they needed a change. What is happening now is the opposite of that. We turn from rules to no rules to do what? Go back to rules again? I don't know, I don't care about them. In the past, present and future there were are and always be people like me, that can't accept homosexuality as a natural thing. I can tolerate it, but not understand or accept it. Don't ask me what I would do if one of my (future) kids will be gay, cause I don't know.

DeletedUser

What an interesting topic.

During the last ten years or so, I have been thinking more and more about why so many people dislike, feel disgust or even outright hostility towards homosexuals. Why?

To start this, I have always defined myself as a heterosexual. But increasingly I have started to think think that sexual labels are quite useless. I have grown to believe that we as humans are all capable of feeling some sort of sexual attraction to persons of different genders, given the right circumstances. Most people might not act on it, but that does not mean that it didn't happen.

The reason that the vast majority of us regard ourself as nothing but heterosexuals must be seen in the context of the societies we live in. For millennia societies dominated by the Abrahamic religions have oppressed, criminalized and murdered homosexuals. This still goes on in parts of the world and it is really only in the last two, maybe three decades that gay people have been able to be relatively open about their way of life in some western countries. That is a blink of an eye from a historical view-point, and in other countries it is still as bad as ever. In that context I find it surprising that anyone dare define themselves as gay, I put it down to human courage. ;)

Let me give you one rather clear example of how utterly disgusting that oppression has been/is. Alan Turing was born in the UK in 1912. During WWII he was instrumental in the breaking of the ENIGMA code. As an individual, Turing probably made as great a contribution to the defeat of nazi-Germany as any statesman or general did. You would suppose he was honoured and cherished until his dying days? No. In 1952 he was convicted of 'gross indecency' and sentenced to chemical castration by a series of injections of female hormones. His crime? It had come to light that he was gay. Two years later he committed suicide.
In 2009, 55 years later, PM Brown issued an apology. Rather late, one might think. Better late than never, of course, but what kind of a society treats its heroes in such a way?

Let me give you another example of a very different society. In ancient Sparta (you know, 300) homosexuality was institutionalised. All young Spartan men where brought up to be fearless, perfect warriors. And to be gay. Here we have a society which, quite opposite to ours, expected and demanded their males to have homosexual relationships. All of a sudden, everyone it seems, were gay.
KILLTHEHIPPIE, Blondie14 and -TP-. Had you been born as ancient Spartan males, would had you been the only straight ones? Peril, would you have?

My point is that different sexual feelings/orientations are quite natural to human beings. Are we as individuals more inclined to one side or the other? Maybe. But I think that the biggest reason for us wanting to put specific labels on ourselves (and everyone around us) is because that is what our society expects us to do. Had this been a 100% percent neutral subject, I would expect you, me, as well as most Spartan warriors, to have had different sexual experiences during our life-times, not thinking too much about what gender our partner(s) might have had.

Kinda strange, finally knowing why they wore those leather-whitey-tideys....thanks for ruining the movie :p

Actually, I probablly would have. Think about human anatomy for a second. A man and a woman fit together, I will refrain from making this any more awkward then it has to be, but do two men fit together? No, we don't.

On a side note, weren't the Spartans conquered later on? I wonder why? Were they to bust critiquing their enemy's choice of armor? "Honey, that chainmail is SO last spring."

Maybe they were all grabbing arse and were to busy to stop an attack? Maybe.......juuuuuuuust maybe!

I think that every human being is heterosexual in nature, why? because it's nature.

Let's say, this is a huge leap so stay with me, that every human being on earth turned homosexual. There would be no more humans!

Can you honestly say that you would find a man getting undressed in the least bit intresting? Intresting, you know what I mean ;)

DeletedUser

Kinda strange, finally knowing why they wore those leather-whitey-tideys....thanks for ruining the movie :p

Actually, I probablly would have. Think about human anatomy for a second. A man and a woman fit together, I will refrain from making this any more awkward then it has to be, but do two men fit together? No, we don't.

On a side note, weren't the Spartans conquered later on? I wonder why? Were they to bust critiquing their enemy's choice of armor? "Honey, that chainmail is SO last spring."

Maybe they were all grabbing arse and were to busy to stop an attack? Maybe.......juuuuuuuust maybe!

I think that every human being is heterosexual in nature, why? because it's nature.

Let's say, this is a huge leap so stay with me, that every human being on earth turned homosexual. There would be no more humans!

Can you honestly say that you would find a man getting undressed in the least bit intresting? Intresting, you know what I mean ;)

A: you would be hetero, if you were allowed to be raised without a homosexual influence. Just like you could be a trader, if you weren't raised to be a soldier.
B: about referencing sparta's defeat (which I assume is the one depicted in the movie; that you are referencing) you are blaming something that has nthing to do with the result! For example, one of the reasons why Nazi Germany lost WWII was not because Hitler had a small moustache, but one reason is that they had a very unorganized system of chain-of-command (we, however, have a simpler "branch" system, where persons B, C, D, and E report to A, and so on.)
and C: you are right in that everyone was meant to be hetero; otherwise we wouldn't have babies.

DeletedUser

You're right about how men do not fit *with* men in such a way. The prostate gland prevents that.

Heterosexual in nature yes, but there are so many natural disorders that we are aware of, some people are just born without the compulsion to mate and produce offspring, or simply mate with the opposite sex. Genetically they are away from the aspect, due to some sort of inheritance or a lack of protein... Most of the gays I know are vegans and vegetarians... I hate them though because they are gay hippies.

DeletedUser

I think gay marriage should not be allowed and I am not sorry for offending you!

Status
Not open for further replies.