Rise of the Sentinels

• Thread starter DeletedUser28032
  • Start date

DeletedUser

"Well if we can't pay 200 Gold then we'll have to go by foot. either that or...we could just storm their ship and threaten them with death unless they comply. it's not my style but it's the only way we could get back via boat." Galen suggested. he didn't think they'd be able to pull together 200 Gold, Galen had pinched a good few coins during the journey, but 200 Gold... they could buy a ship with that kind of money...

DeletedUser28032

Kaella
"With only five people? we wouldn't stand a chance there would have to be at least twenty men on that ship...as for walking..." Kaella stopped to consider the eyes she felt on her back as they'd walked through the swamp, the journey itself would treacherous enough in the dark without the threat of an arrow in the back "no...i think the ships our only option we'll just have to think of something when we get there, take us to the docks Galen, Ben hang back a little and make sure no one follows us" with Galen leading the way the small group of Sentinels quickly starts moving down the cobbled streets in search of the awaiting ship.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Galen stepped out into the dank docks, the smell of seawater combined with rotting fish resulting in an unpleasant welcome. nearby a man screamed as he was hurled out of a ship window and into the sea below. he scanned the docks, searching for the ship that he'd helped to steal, it didn't take long for his eyes to settle on the vessel; an old Talamh warship. from it's mast hung black sails and a black flag embroidered with a red skull.
"There she is!" Galen said, pointing to to the ship. "Now, as anyone got any bright ideas as to how we buy our passage?"

DeletedUser31931

Ben hung back on Kaella's orders and followed them. As they walked up Ben heard Galen's question and replied "I have an idea, it involves magic. If I cast a spell making the captain fall ill then we can offer to sail for him, I know how to sail from my time with the pirates. We once had to escape from a group of Law Enforcers by boat and I learnt how to then. If they don't want that then Mark can offer to treat their captain with magic and herbs as long as we are provided safe passage on the boat."

DeletedUser

"Right, so we effectively poison the Alder brothers with magic and then offer to sail for them, well they won't accept that, by now they'll have picked up a more than competent crew, so that leaves us with poisoning them and then giving them the cure for our passage." Galen looked around, hoping that someone would come up with another idea, he was already asking them to sail into Talamh waters, poisoning them would hardly improve his stance.
silence followed.
"okay Ben, so how exactly do we poison the Alder brothers with magic?" Galen asked.

DeletedUser31931

"We need something of theirs, a small lock of hair, or a piece of their clothes or something that they have touched. I'm not very experienced in poisoning with magic. I never needed to however I've healed it a couple of times each attempt with varied success. Then I can cast an enchantment to bring them out it a rash which if left unattended can poison the person. Also we have to make sure that they don't know it's us. Is there anyone with a grudge against them in this port? If so then we could make it look like they had done it."

DeletedUser

"And how exactly are we going to get hold of a piece of their clothing? they won't be coming if they've gone back on their ship they'll be heading straight out, they hardly want to be caught up in any trouble that's going on here, so I don't think we've got time to steal their clothes, find out who has a grudge about them, and then frame said person!" Galen snapped angrily. he breathed deeply. his warm breaths filtering out through the airholes in his mouthguard.

DeletedUser31931

"You're a master thief but clearly not a very good listener. I said anything that they have touched. Slip through the crowd and get something to touch them. We will wander along after the spell is cast and accidently meet them. Mark will notice the rash and offer to heal it for a place on the boat."

DeletedUser

"Ben...they're on a ship. a ship that's about to leave. we haven't got time to implicate a complicated plan!" Galen said frustratedly. suddenly an idea struck him.
"they're pirates, so what if...we make an offer that they can't refuse...I can cough up 50 Gold at best, and I'm sure Ben can cough up a magic item or two, so if we have that as half an offer, and fill the other half of the offer by saying that we with our combined expertise, we can help them steal an extra ship...it's every pirate's dream to have a fleet. what do you say to that?" Galen said proudly.
"or...if you don't like the first idea, we could just steal a fishing boat and row our way to Talamh, but that's our last resort." he added.

DeletedUser28032

Kaella
"I don't think poisoning the brothers would be wise....they'd probably just throw us all overboard except for Mark" Kaella said skeptically as the Ben and Galen proceeded to argue amongst themselves for several moments before finally reaching an alternative although prospect of turning to piracy wasn't exactly a thrilling prospect.
"I think we're over looking one of our biggest bargaining chips here" Dashel said nodding his head at the Princess beside him "How much do you think her father will pay as a ransom?"
The sound of footsteps upon the wooden planking caused Kaella to turn finding herself looking at the younger of the two brothers flanked by a pair of men with crossbows "So you've decided to join us have you Galen? hand over the gold like we agreed and we can be on our way?"

DeletedUser

Galen turned around nervously to see Ellerc flanked by two grunts with crossbows.
"50 now, the rest later." he said.
"You know what we agreed. 200 now or nothing." Ulric said, stepping out of the shadows, flanked by another two grunts.
"It's more complicated than that, you see, this little girlie here," Galen said, pointing to the princess, "Is part of a ransom deal, I'm not gonna tell you who for, because we both know what you'll do. and that person has a lot of cash, and a lot of...influence over legal proceedings."
"And your point is?" Ellerc growled.
"My point is, take 50 now, and I'll make sure you get the rest from our employwer, and...I might just be able to encourage our employer to grant you amnesty, and we both know how profitable that will be for you." Galen laid out the offer. if this didn't work, nothing would. the two brothers looked at each other.
"That's my offer. take it or leave it."

DeletedUser28032

The Alder brothers
Ellerc slowly chewed over the offer, his eyes turning to examine the girl currently stood between them, she certainly looked highborn and despite the mud covering it he reckoned the gown she wore must have cost her father a fare amount of gold "Very well but the girl stays with us I have no desire to see you slip away during the night" he said levelling his eyes at Galen "Come its this way"
Ellerc led the way across the wooden dock past the lines of ships, the crews on board watching the large group of armed men warily as they passed.
The brothers ship was at the very end of the dock its crew already busily making ready to push off into the night. It was a war ship with a pair of fighting platforms built at the prow and stern with a small cabin built beneath the latter, no doubt where the brothers would sleep though the rest of crew would have to make do with either the deck or the cramped cargo hold beneath "Bannick! show this lovely lady to the cabin...oh and she's not to be touched as for the rest of you I’ll need to see some gold" with crossbows once again levelled at their chest the Sentinels were powerless to resist as Bannick, a dark skinned Chasind man took Isolla by the arm and almost delicately led her up the gang plank as the Sentinels pooled together what gold they could find in amongst them before handing it over "Good now go and make yourselves comfy and stay out of the way i have a ship to run"
-----------------------------------
Oberon
Ever since the banishment of his people several centuries before the number of Sidhe upon this plane had dwindled until they only numbered around a dozen, the ways in and out of their homeland were small and treacherous meaning that many had not returned home since the sealing of the gates but that was all about to change.
They stood about the stone circle dressed in a medley of different clothing though none wore armour as the steel used in its creation would burn their skin horrifically.
They stood silently as Oberon stepped into the centre of the circle to approach the weather beaten altar, the once intricate designs now worn smooth by the centuries of wind and rain that had fallen upon it.... and yet the single hole etched into its surface still remained as crisp as the day it had been hewn.
"Tonight my brethren our exile comes to an end....Tonight we throw open the gates and once again claimed our rightful place as overlords!" the ring of Sidhe cheered loudly at the Oberons words, he was a prince and although he was only the male heir he had proven himself this day.
Removing the small golden object from out of its box Oberon held it aloft for all to see, a ripple of shocked gasps moved around the circle as they saw an object thought to be lost long ago held before them.
Grasping the Avalon key tightly in his grasp Oberon pressed it into the stone indentation, the metal suddenly turning liquid in his grasp, Lightning erupting from out of the altar to strike the standing stones illuminating long forgotten runes , the ground shook and the air suddenly smelt of burning metal as a shimmering doorway appeared before them between a pair of stone pillars.
Stepping from between the doorway, a woman accompanied by a pair of bodyguards approached them, all of the assembled Sidhe except for Oberon and his sister Ariel instantly dropping to their knees in reverence "You have done well my son...soon we will show these mortals the true meaning of fear"
"Thank you mother"

DeletedUser31931

Having given most of his gold to pay for the trip along with the others Ben boarded the ship. He found a cabin with Mark and Galen and said that Kaella should take the cabin next to theirs. "If we stick together then they can't try to cheat us easily. We should also find Isolla shortly and make sure she doesn't try to escape. Galen why don't you do that?" he figured someone better take charge of things. "So Mark, what have you been up to since you were captured?"

Deleted User - 819397

Mark had remained quiet throughout the process of getting the ship, as he had no knowledge of the Sentinels' affairs any longer. When he, Galen, and Ben got into what would be their cabin, though, he found his story bursting from him. "When I tried to help Kaella when the cavalry charged, a horse slammed into me and I was thrown a good distance away, my arm breaking. I was taken then by someone loyal to Khal Ryder to a prison where we were to be gifts for Ryder. Busana and Matheld had been caught there as well. I met a man named Oberon, who asked for help that night when Busana and Matheld made their escape, causing general bedlam in the process. I aided him, and he revealed himself to be an angel. He gave me the ability to use rudimentary Nature magic, and then asked me to retrieve a symbol precious to his people in a castle that they couldn't enter. I did so, over the process of the next couple weeks, during which I ran into Matheld again. I retrieved the symbol and gave it to Oberon, then made my way to you guys here." He waited a moment for it to sink in, then asked, "What about you guys? Sounds like I missed a lot."

Without warning, a sharp pain struck through his head and he gripped it, groaning in agony. His eyes automatically switched to the energy view Oberon had given him access to, and he could see pulses of magic shooting through the air, incredibly strong. Next to him, he could see Ben similarly affected. It subsided soon enough, but was still present...whatever had happened was still emanating power. "What was that??" he gasped. "Every magic user across the continent would have felt that!"

DeletedUser31931

Ben looked at him and said "You say his name was Oberon, and they needed an artifact? From a castle they couldn't reach?" "This isn't good!" Then the pain happened. This had just confirmed Ben's worst fears. As soon as it subsided he spoke quickly. "Ok, ok. I'll explain quickly. We may now be in very big trouble. When I was in the pirates we used to swap folklore that we knew. Everyone knew some good scary stories and so we always tried to tell new ones when we were travelling from village to village. I once heard one from the guys about a race, I can't remember their name. But the church banished them from our world as demons for demons they were as they wanted the destruction of all humans and to reign over planet earth forever. The churches leading priests joined together and cast a spell which sealed away their homeland. They transferred the power of their spell into a key. I don't know what it looks like and they hid it in a castle where they brought together magic casters and cast many spells of protection and one that meant that their race couldn't enter the castle, they had to get a mortal to do it. When they have the key they will open the portal to their world and they will re-invade and wreak havoc on this land. But I do remember one thing. Oberon was their prince." Ben finished there and began to let the realisation sink into the others.

DeletedUser

"Guys, whatever you do, do not say the girl's name, or the name of our...employer, if any of the crew find out who she is, we'll be murdered in our beds and they'll hold her to ransom. as to finding Isolla, I don't think that'll be wise, they'll be guarding her cabin, so there won't be any way to get to her, we'll just have to hope that she's smart enough not to reveal her identity, or try to escape." Galen explained in a hushed voice.

after Ben finished his explanation, Galen took off his mouthguard and stroked his chin, this was serious. "So Mark has just unwittingly let loose a horde of all-powerful demons who want to destroy everyone and everything? just when I thought that our troubles were over. what are we going to do?"

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28032

Kaella
Kaella gave a snort of derision when the subject turned to that of demons "Oh please...I heard the same stories when I was growing up in the convent...only it wasn't a prince it was a princess called Ariel and she was tricked by an old lady....they're just stories" although she had to admit Marks and Bens sudden reaction to...whatever it had been was strange.
"But anyway Galen's right best we leave her where she is the brothers won't touch her they're too afraid it'll lower her value if they do" the floor beneath them suddenly shifted as the ship was cast off, the shouting of men suddenly growing louder as ropes and sails were pulled into position....Kaella had never been on a ship so it was all a mystery to her. Huddled in the small low ceilinged room which was more of a store room than a cabin, crates and barrels filling all the space that they weren't Kaella began to recount their adventures since separating from Mark. She told him everything; from the their pursuit across the plains, the ambush in which both Tristan and Ragnar fell in battle before finishing with the battle in the Jazdec camp and the death of Khal Rhayder.
With the ship now safely out to sea and her story finished Kaella looked about at the small huddle of people before asking the question that had been nagging at her mind "So what are we going to do once we've returned her to her father?"
------------------------------------------------
Princess Isolla
The cabin was small and cramped with the furniture crammed into it making it even smaller though in comparison to what the Sentinels were currently sat in the room was a palace. Two large men stood just outside her door with instructions not to speak to her. The brothers had been courteous enough towards her, giving her a pale pink cotton dress to replace the soiled gown she wore though she fully realised that the moment they thought her to be worthless they wouldn't think twice about raping and murdering her leaving her in a very tenuous position.
Wearing the dress given to her Isolla perched on the edge of one of the beds, its straw mattress feeling extremely uncomfortable as she tried think of a way to escape...she was more than capable of setting the ship ablaze with her sorceries however there was one rather major flaw in that....she couldn't swim.
Suddenly and agonising pain filled her head causing her to drop to her knees with her hands clamped to the sides of her head which felt as if it was about to explode, a single strangled cry coming from her lips before blacking out "They're coming!"

DeletedUser

"Well if the girl wasn't lying, and there is some kind of super-army preparing to destroy the world, then we need to inform our employer, and from there...I say we set out on a scouting raid, and another thing, we should probably find out what happened to Busana and Matheld, and see if there are any Sentinels out there that survived the Red Rose Assassins but didn't receive the call back to Talamh Bui." said Galen. once more growing accustomed to being at sea, this was the second time he'd been on this boat, the first time he'd been on it he'd been stealing it from the Talamh navy. that had been an interesting night...

DeletedUser31931

Ben processed everything that was going on and took a deep breath. "Kaella, only a huge rift in the fabric of magic could cause something like that to be felt by all magicians. I'd guess the more powerful the magician the more powerful the feeling would be because they would be woven more into the fabric of magic. In that case that pulse of magic could have seriously hurt" at this point he paused and maid sure he avoided Isolla's name "the girl." he said, copying Galen. "I think we should at least get someone to check on her."

DeletedUser28032

"It wouldn't hurt" Kaella said with a shrug "Do you want the honour of checking up on our little princess Mark? seen as Ben here shot her" she also hoped that Isolla would be more open to talking to Mark seen as he hadn't been involved in either her kidnap or the death of her half brother like the rest of them were.
Turning the subject back to her original question, idly plucking the strings of her harp as she spoke "From what i could gather from Ragnar there aren't anymore Sentinels and those that do remain are seriously old....I think we'll have to rebuild the order from scratch" it was a daunting task but with rumours of some kind of unstoppable force on the way having some new members wouldn't hurt "Do you guys believe whats shes saying about this army just that it seems a little....far fetched"