Legalization of marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Either way, I'm pretty much Panache isn't coming back to this discussion. She got shut down.

DeletedUser

Was a good thread though, either way, off to see what next strikes my fancy

DeletedUser

Maybe she just got sick of your holier then thou attitudes.

If you legalize pot you might as well go right ahead and legalize meth .. regardless of if you want to except it or not one does lead to the other.

And she's right .. you probably have never seen a friend go down the wrong path and not be able to stop them or help them. You probably would love to see it legal so you wouldn't have to hide when smoking it.

DeletedUser

If you legalize pot you might as well go right ahead and legalize meth .. regardless of if you want to except it or not one does lead to the other.

And she's right .. you probably have never seen a friend go down the wrong path and not be able to stop them or help them. You probably would love to see it legal so you wouldn't have to hide when smoking it.

My friends and I smoked a lot of pot when we were in high school. A lot. I never got into any other drugs nor had the inclination to. I think out of the crowd I hung out with a couple did try other drugs but they never did them heavily and they never did them often. I knew a few tried crack and several cocaine. Acid was another big one that people tried. That was when we were young. 20 years ago. In the past 20 years none of my circle of friends became addicted to any drug. Some of them I suspect smoke weed from time to time but we are talking maybe once or twice a year. No other drugs. We own houses, have children, hold down jobs, have long term relationships/marriages, and take part in sports. We were the 'stoner' crowd in school and we've done just fine.

What I have seen is alcohol ruin many lives. I've had several friends die in alcohol related car accidents, get DUI after DUI or become basically hobo's.

The people I am still close friends with from high school basically hold the same opinion as I do. Kids will do drugs whether they are illegal or not. Underage kids don't smoke pot because it is illegal, they smoke it because they want to. If marijuana ever does become legal in this country you know they'd have a minimum age requirement to buy it, most likely 21. We grew up and put away our childish things to include smoking pot.

The thing is, cigarettes are legal. My friends and I smoked when legally we weren't allowed. Alcohol is legal for those over 21 yet my friends and I had no trouble getting it at age 15. Underage sex is illegal yet kids still do it. Kids don't give a rats ass if something is legal or not. They do it because they want to. They are exploring the world around them. Yes the world can be a dangerous place. That is where the parents come in.

Parents should talk to their children about all of these issues. Give the kids a good understanding of pot, alcohol, cigarettes, and sex. The more a kid knows when it is time for them to make a personal decision about doing any of those things they will make the right choice for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Denisero everything you say is true yes. My post was more out of angry for the way those 2 were treating someone else then it was about of the subject.

I guess treating everyone nicely in the forums doesn't hold true to this section nor does the name calling and put downs.

DeletedUser

It can get pretty rough in here. Especially when people have strong opinions about things that matter personally to them.

DeletedUser

Denisero everything you say is true yes. My post was more out of angry for the way those 2 were treating someone else then it was about of the subject.

I guess treating everyone nicely in the forums doesn't hold true to this section nor does the name calling and put downs.

Right, so you admit that that last post you made was absolute crap and you don't know what you're talking about then, right?

DeletedUser

Alcohol does screw up lives. So far not mine....ANYWAY, we kids today do what we want cause we want to explore. Of course, I hate surprises. Me and my friends, we studied everything before we did it. Side effects, what can happen, everything. We got some personal experience along the way. Anyway, yeah, marijuana wont screw you up. It hasn't for me because Im not a stoner. I do agree alcohol does though.

DeletedUser

Alcohol is fine as long as you got good friends to watch your back and make sure you don't do anything too crazy. The only time I drink alone is when I'm planning on kicking ass in COD. I have studied the ways of drunken fragging. Course I have to be careful how much I drink because once you go too far you can't hit anything and no one can understand your trash talk.

Looks like I wandered off topic a bit. What I'm trying to say is, people will always do what they want to do. Laws can only discourage up to a point. Once ones desire exceeds their fear of the cost then they will do it. That is why education is more important than anything else. Teach them the cost of their actions. The risks involved and do it in a way they can take seriously. I remember our dare classes and they were a joke. Everything was to such an extreme there was no way us kids could believe it. Simply tell it like it is without the silly scare tactics and if the kids are still willing to take the risks than let them. And if they come crying because they lost their job and spent all their cash on pot then just tell them. I told you so. I'm a firm believer in survival of the fittest. Let people live and learn.

DeletedUser

Maybe she just got sick of your holier then thou attitudes.

Actually Smitten, if had read the friggin thread, rather than jump in with your holier than thou attitude, and start busting chops with your stunning lack of knowledge you'd have seen that I'm a proponent of personal responsibility. Yes, Meth should be legal too, along with cocaine, opium, heroin, MDMA, LSD, and anything else you choose to name. People have been educated to the dangers, and once they're mature enough to accept them if they want to, it's their call.

Yes, people get their whole lives screwed up. It happens NOW when it's illegal, so surely that doesn't work.

The thing you and your friend failed to realize is that THEY DID IT TO THEMSELVES.

Nobody blew coke up her nose.

I've had friends get strung out, and I stayed their friend, I also helped them stay sober when they asked for it, and refused to help them get high.

I've also had friends who burnt themselves out, bright futures, and wonderful people left as a dim reflection of who they could have been. Yes it's sad, but they did it to themselves.

They should all be legal, along with tobacco and alcohol. 21 for civilians, and 18 for our military men and women.

Any person knowingly distributing to a minor serves a mandatory 5 year prison sentence.

DUI should remain a felony.

Any workplace should be able to terminate at will any employee consuming or under the influence of any non-prescribed mind or mood altering substance.

any questions?

DeletedUser

21 for civilians, and 18 for our military men and women.

You honestly believe you should put guns and drugs together? Isn't there enough killing without having to worry about them killing each other while their high?

I honestly would stay home and not drive anywhere for the pure fear of who was on the road driving while high. It's bad enough I have to worry about the drunks on the road. And no honestly I don't drink so making alcohol illegal wouldn't hurt my feelings any at all.

DeletedUser

You honestly believe you should put guns and drugs together? Isn't there enough killing without having to worry about them killing each other while their high?

I honestly would stay home and not drive anywhere for the pure fear of who was on the road driving while high. It's bad enough I have to worry about the drunks on the road. And no honestly I don't drink so making alcohol illegal wouldn't hurt my feelings any at all.

No, What I believe is that by choosing to serve their country our Men and Women in uniform have exhibited Maturity and Responsibility

That same Responsibility is what I think would keep them from violating regulations and showing up for duty impaired.

If you're that scared of the drunks and drug crazed motorists you should probably just stay home and never leave. They're already out there.

I trust that the people who don't do drugs now, most likely wouldn't do them if they were legal. Because they understand the consequences and make the choice not to.

The people who would likely do the drugs, ALREADY do the drugs. All legalization would do is clear out our prisons of non-violent drug offenders. Cut law enforcement costs. Give our police more time to work more serious cases.

Also it would take billions of dollars out of the hands of criminals, keep them in the country, and give the local/state/federal governments increased excise tax revenues.

DeletedUser

As if I wasn't already aware that you were just a crazy paranoid schizo before, this post definitely confirms it. Not only do you not know what you're talking about, but you're clearly not aware of the world around you. Doesn't surprise me that you say you would stay home if marijuana was legalized -- I can tell you already spend 99.99999% of your time there anyways, probably locked in with your blinds shut, petting one of your 37 cats.

And I love how you believe that since you find no pleasure in something that it should be outlawed for everyone. I've never done it so it should be outlawed! I don't see how you can expect anyone to take you seriously with such an incredibly flawed and naive outlook on life and the people around you.

DeletedUser

As if I wasn't already aware that you were just a crazy paranoid schizo before, this post definitely confirms it. Not only do you not know what you're talking about, but you're clearly not aware of the world around you. Doesn't surprise me that you say you would stay home if marijuana was legalized -- I can tell you already spend 99.99999% of your time there anyways, probably locked in with your blinds shut, petting one of your 37 cats.

And I love how you believe that since you find no pleasure in something that it should be outlawed for everyone. I've never done it so it should be outlawed! I don't see how you can expect anyone to take you seriously with such an incredibly flawed and naive outlook on life and the people around you.

So now you resort to out right name calling .. real nice. I'm not saying they should out law alcohol, I said it wouldn't bother me if they did out law it. Knowing full well if I hadn't said that you would have thrown the argument at me about it being legal.

The way I see it if marijuana was legalized it would help the kids that don't use it now to start... the one's who are divided right now because of it being illegal.

And for your information .. I do leave my house as often as my arthritis allows me to. And I don't have 37 cats, I have 1 inside cat and 7 outside cats. I don't have blinds, I have curtains.

And just what's your problem anyway? You have a hard time using the edit button or something. Figures a 22 year old kid can't figure out how to use a edit button ... and going through the I'm better then you and smarter then you stage.

DeletedUser

Kitten, do you recall what happened when alcohol was made illegal?

it didn't do a gosh darn thing except

1.Make otherwise ordinary people into criminals,

2. Cost an AWFUL lot of money

3. Lead to the rise of gang warfare and gang violence

4. Make alot of criminals VERY wealthy.

5. INCREASE the CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL, because it's illegal it gains instant *cool points*

DeletedUser

Well, as far as that goes, I've never murdered anyone and wouldn't if it were legal, but a lot of other people do. As long as they do it anyway, why not just make it legal?

No, I don't really believe that, but it makes as much sense as using that as an argument for legalizing illegal drugs. There may be reasons that it would make sense to do it, but I don't think that the fact that people do it even when it's illegal is a good one. I know you're smart enough to come up with better arguments than that.

Thanks, Divest. I can make myself look nuts by myself, don't help me out by making it look like I'm responding to invisible posts!

DeletedUser

Well, as far as that goes, I've never murdered anyone and wouldn't if it were legal, but a lot of other people do. As long as they do it anyway, why not just make it legal?

No, I don't really believe that, but it makes as much sense as using that as an argument for legalizing illegal drugs. There may be reasons that it would make sense to do it, but I don't think that the fact that people do it even when it's illegal is a good one. I know you're smart enough to come up with better arguments than that.

Well, of course you know that you're comparing apples and bananas

Murder actually deprives another person of their right to life.

How could someone interfere with the rights of another person by consuming a mind/mood altering substance?

I believe that each person should have an inviolate right to choose what substances they will ingest into their body.

I don't believe anyone should have the right to stop Divests poo eating contests (sorry man, had to pick on you)

If I want to eat a 48oz steak, medium rare, I should be able to, provided I can afford it.

If I wanted to smoke a pound of marijuana, eat a crate of twinkies, and go to sleep, Who would be affected?

DeletedUser

So now you resort to out right name calling .. real nice. I'm not saying they should out law alcohol, I said it wouldn't bother me if they did out law it. Knowing full well if I hadn't said that you would have thrown the argument at me about it being legal.

You see, but the fact that you're selfish and don't mind outlawing the pleasures of other people just because you don't partake doesn't phase out the example it presents. The fact still remains that marijuana is ten times safer than alcohol, especially when you're considering the fact that you're going to have to interact with people who are under the influence. Someone who is under the influence of marijuana is, generally, at least ten times more pleasant than someone who is drunk. That makes your argument entirely void.

The way I see it if marijuana was legalized it would help the kids that don't use it now to start... the one's who are divided right now because of it being illegal.

Since you've been locked away in your house for the past 75 years I'll give you some leeway here, but you must understand that marijuana being "illegal" is and hardly has been a deterrent for some time. To drive the point home, it is illegal to consume alcohol if you're under the age of 21, but nowadays kids have these things called "parties" in which they get together, socialize, and consume alcohol. As you can see, something being illegal is hardly a deterrent in this particular instance and probably will never be a deterrent.

And for your information .. I do leave my house as often as my arthritis allows me to. And I don't have 37 cats, I have 1 inside cat and 7 outside cats. I don't have blinds, I have curtains.
I apologize. I didn't realize that you had curtains and not blinds. I should have realized that curtains were a more popular choice back in the 1800's.

And just what's your problem anyway? You have a hard time using the edit button or something. Figures a 22 year old kid can't figure out how to use a edit button ... and going through the I'm better then you and smarter then you stage.
I don't even know what that means. What does my usage of the edit button have to do with any of this? Furthermore, if everything I stated about you is roughly true (I got the number of cats wrong, and you have curtains) then how do you find it insulting? I'm not offended when you call me a 22 year old kid because simply put, that's what I am. Just because I'm apparently "going through a stage" doesn't immediately make everything I say wrong and everything you say right. You are doing nothing but bury your case and I, for one, find it particularly hilarious.

Also, sorry about that, Artemis. I immediately retracted my statement and thought I could come at a better angle. :p

DeletedUser

Yes actually Morph96070 I do recall all of that. But he isn't talking about something that was legal and then was made illegal. Drugs have never been legal.

Regardless of if it is ever made legal or not still doesn't give him the right to call people names and put them down because they don't believe in his view point of things. I have just as much right to my opinions as him or anyone else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.