Legalization of marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

"When I was a young lad, my father would say,
It's nice outside, won't you go out and play?
But now that I'm older, the ladies all say,
It's nice out, but put it away."

DeletedUser

It's already been decriminalized.

And thanks for giving your reasons as to why you don't think it should be legalized. I can see you're going to be a real asset to this conversation. *eye roll*

DeletedUser

I live in BC. I'm saying decriminalization is acceptable, in my opinion. It's not decriminalized here, but some cops are pretty lax about it and won't necessarily arrest anybody for it...

Okay, you need to have a reason? You desire to hear my opinion? Awwww...

I think that even more people will have it in their homes, giving their children more access to it than they already have. It'll tell their kids 'sure, go ahead and get baked, we do it!' Kids already smoke and drink before it's legal, here's another thing to expose them to at an early age. Yes, I know some kids already do it, but there are some that don't have access to it. So let's say the gov't starts selling packs of marijuana cigarettes, adults may leave them lying around the house like they may do with regular, deadly cigarettes, which is already wrong, if they have kids. Those curious kids will definitely grab them...what happens to kids that go to parties and get stoned? They could get introduced to harder drugs. Peer pressure, kids, and drugs don't mix. This happened to a friend of mine in high school, she started with pot, and started hanging out with the 'stoner' crowd, and cocaine took over for her. Legalizing pot tells kids 'well if I can smoke it when I'm older, I can smoke it now'.

There, happy? I know you just wanted me to post so you can pick it apart...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think that even more people will have it in their homes, giving their children more access to it than they already have. It'll tell their kids 'sure, go ahead and get baked, we do it!' Kids already smoke and drink before it's legal, here's another thing to expose them to at an early age. Yes, I know some kids already do it, but there are some that don't have access to it. So let's say the gov't starts selling packs of marijuana cigarettes, adults may leave them lying around the house like they may do with regular, deadly cigarettes, which is already wrong, if they have kids. Those curious kids will definitely grab them...what happens to kids that go to parties and get stoned? They could get introduced to harder drugs. Peer pressure, kids, and drugs don't mix.

Your post kind of reminds me of those ridiculous anti-marijuana ads from the 50's. Do you want your kid to become a cannibalistic serial killer? That's what smoking pot does to you!

I see where you're coming from though, don't get me wrong. It's just that you're basing your entire argument on the premise that it isn't easy to get pot as it is, and that an assload of people don't smoke pot already.

What I'm trying to say is that it's already really, really, really easy to get pot and most kids aren't naive when it comes to pot either. Education, information, and workshops are the best ways to educate people on the effects of drugs, not prohibition. You're also making it the government's responsibility to clean up where the parents are doing something wrong. The parents are responsible for what they leave around for their kids to see, not the government. Regardlless, keeping marijuana illegal isn't going to solve that problem either.

DeletedUser

It's already been decriminalized.

Where has it been decriminalized? Officially anyways. I think CA and CT have but for medical use only. And of course Nevada it is NOT. Gotta love their big sign!

Canada is out to lunch on the decision, though technically it is still illegal according to the federal Canada Criminal Code, but its use is widely tolerated across the country. Not sure about adults, but kids cought with it, they'll just give 'em a scare and take their stash and paraphernalia. Suppose this could be construed as decriminalization, but it has yet to be officially stated by Federal or Provincial law makers...yet.

DeletedUser

In California (where I live) it is decriminalized for medicinal purposes. Also, the odds of you being arrested unless it's clear that you're dealing is slim to none.

DeletedUser

Your post kind of reminds me of those ridiculous anti-marijuana ads from the 50's. Do you want your kid to become a cannibalistic serial killer? That's what smoking pot does to you!

I see where you're coming from though, don't get me wrong. It's just that you're basing your entire argument on the premise that it isn't easy to get pot as it is, and that an assload of people don't smoke pot already.

What I'm trying to say is that it's already really, really, really easy to get pot and most kids aren't naive when it comes to pot either. Education, information, and workshops are the best ways to educate people on the effects of drugs, not prohibition. You're also making it the government's responsibility to clean up where the parents are doing something wrong. The parents are responsible for what they leave around for their kids to see, not the government. Regardlless, keeping marijuana illegal isn't going to solve that problem either.

I know it's very easy to get, and I didn't say "kids never do it", and I didn't say anything about prohibition.

No, my entire argument isn't based on the fact that pot isn't easy to get...I know it's easy to get, it was all around my high school...however, I never went down that road. My parents didn't smoke pot nor cigarettes, so I guess I didn't have teenage curiosity about what is was that they liked about it. My best friend had parents who had parties and drank, smoked, and got stoned. We pretty much spent those nights in her room sneaking beers from their downstairs fridge...okay, I wasn't a saint. Anyways, maybe she was curious about it because of that scene, I don't know, but she started buying pot from a kid at school, and it led her to harder stuff. I'm not blaming parents, but kids can absorb behaviour from parents. At any rate, I have no idea where she is now, or if she kicked the habit. Nobody I know has seen her or heard from her in many years. So yeah, it scares me for when I have kids. No argument on Earth is gonna make me forget that experience, or think that pot couldn't lead to it in some way or another.

Now I'm not saying I've never smoked pot...I do maybe once every 6 months or so. What my basic point is that it sends the message to kids that: "If it's okay when I'm an adult, how's it gonna hurt me now?" I know kids already smoke it, but not all of them out there. It just adds to the peer pressure that kids like myself had to face, except it'll be "It'll be legal in a few years for you anyway..." They may give in easier. You say that it's the parents job to watch their kids and teach them...so why make alcohol illegal until 21? (19 here in BC) Because that's the gov't trying to keep it out of children's hands. They are partially responsible for it, too.

What I'm against about it, is the message it sends. And, yes, parents are responsible for their kids, but they can be less responsible when they are stoned, especially when the gov't says "Here, have some more! It's legal now!!"

Anyways, I'm sure I'm repeating myself a lot here...

DeletedUser

I know it's very easy to get, and I didn't say "kids never do it", and I didn't say anything about prohibition.

I was using those as reasoning tools and means of explaining my point, and why your point is a bit naive but it appears that even that was information overload so I'll break it down further...

No, my entire argument isn't based on the fact that pot isn't easy to get...I know it's easy to get, it was all around my high school...however, I never went down that road. My parents didn't smoke pot nor cigarettes, so I guess I didn't have teenage curiosity about what is was that they liked about it.
Couple of things.

First of all, you're making several assumptions based on your life and generalizing that information to make it appear as if that's the case for everyone who would have been in a similar situation as you. That's wrong.

Your anecdotes also confuse me in the way that I have no idea what that really has to do with marijuana being legal or illegal. You're using them as an example and generalizing, but I still don't know what your basis is.

My best friend had parents who had parties and drank, smoked, and got stoned. We pretty much spent those nights in her room sneaking beers from their downstairs fridge...okay, I wasn't a saint. Anyways, maybe she was curious about it because of that scene, I don't know, but she started buying pot from a kid at school, and it led her to harder stuff.
And how does this substantiate your point at all? Marijuana was illegal when all this happened, so doesn't it drive home the point that instead of there being laws against this stuff for the children to work around, the tax dollars would have been better spent educating them on the effects of marijuana on other street drugs? It's also funny to me how to mention that you guys used to steal beers from your parents fridge, but that was okay, right?

I'm not blaming parents, but kids can absorb behaviour from parents.
Contradiction.

At any rate, I have no idea where she is now, or if she kicked the habit. Nobody I know has seen her or heard from her in many years. So yeah, it scares me for when I have kids.
Meaningless anecdotes once again.

No argument on Earth is gonna make me forget that experience, or think that pot couldn't lead to it in some way or another.

The funny thing is, you're blaming that entire episode on pot and pot alone, not her parents, not her friends, not her environment, not her lack of drug education, not the school, nothing. You're blaming pot. Do you see how silly that is now? Pot isn't the only reason that your friend may have disappeared into a drug frenzy, it probably isn't even close to the top of the list.

Now I'm not saying I've never smoked pot...I do maybe once every 6 months or so. What my basic point is that it sends the message to kids that: "If it's okay when I'm an adult, how's it gonna hurt me now?" I know kids already smoke it, but not all of them out there. It just adds to the peer pressure that kids like myself had to face, except it'll be "It'll be legal in a few years for you anyway..." They may give in easier. You say that it's the parents job to watch their kids and teach them...so why make alcohol illegal until 21? (19 here in BC) Because that's the gov't trying to keep it out of children's hands. They are partially responsible for it, too.

What I'm against about it, is the message it sends. And, yes, parents are responsible for their kids, but they can be less responsible when they are stoned, especially when the gov't says "Here, have some more! It's legal now!!"

Anyways, I'm sure I'm repeating myself a lot here...

Thanks for substantiating my point that I was about to make, drawing a parallel with alcohol and stating that they would probably put age restrictions on the purchase in an effort to reduce underage pot smoking.

:)

DeletedUser

First of all, you're making several assumptions based on your life and generalizing that information to make it appear as if that's the case for everyone who would have been in a similar situation as you. That's wrong.

I don't assume anything. I say 'could' or 'may'. I only have my experiences to draw on, and that a valid basis for MY opinion.

Those 'anecdotes' are not meaningless to me. I guess you don't know what it's like to watch someone go down that road and not be able to help them. Or maybe you haven't cared enough to want to help them. As I said before, I am allowed to draw my opinions from life experiences.

Thanks for substantiating my point that I was about to make, drawing a parallel with alcohol and stating that they would probably put age restrictions on the purchase in an effort to reduce underage pot smoking.

I know they would put age restrictions on it, and you're naive if you think it will do anything to reduce underage pot smoking. It can only increase the amount of kids that would partake if they think it'll be okay when they're 'a few years older'.

I know you goaded me into this so you could tear it apart. Go nuts. You're for it, and I'm against it. You have a super fantastic day.

Oh, and nice work on the double post.

DeletedUser

I don't assume anything. I say 'could' or 'may'. I only have my experiences to draw on, and that a valid basis for MY opinion.

That in and of itself makes your opinion completely useless, because while you draw from your narrow view of life, there's smarter people out there who realize that it isn't about you have seen in your life, but rather what you can draw on from as many sources as possible. If we allowed people to rule and trusted them based on their life's experencies alone, don't you see what kind of a mess that would be?

Try doing a bit of research and reading a book or two before you actually try to formulate an opinion that you expect other people to take seriously.

Those 'anecdotes' are not meaningless to me. I guess you don't know what it's like to watch someone go down that road and not be able to help them. Or maybe you haven't cared enough to want to help them. As I said before, I am allowed to draw my opinions from life experiences.

This is hilarious on so many levels that it's not even funny. Not only are you saying that your life's experiences make you some kind of an expert on this (otherwise you would be more open minded to what I'm trying to say and not arguing with me like you are now) but you're saying that since I disagree with you I must not know what it's like to watch friends go down a bad path.

That would be hilarious if it weren't for the fact that you've picked out the wrong person to make that assumption with. I grew up in Southern California, which is pretty much the drug capital of the US. I have lived anywhere from Riverside County, Los Angeles County, San Bernardino County, and Henderson County (Las Vegas). I grew up a lower-class white boy in a black neighborhood with very few friends. The only friends that I really kept throughout the years I eventually lost when I got older because of drugs. Most of the people I knew in High School, Middle School, and Grade School are all either recovering drug addicts, drug addicts, or parents with minimum wage jobs living a miserable life. Now, from this experience do I blame drugs? Not solely. Am I naive enough to believe that if marijuana wasn't legal that it would have changed anything or any of the decision that they made? Oh, that's right, it was illegal, so no that wouldn't have changed anything.

Do you see where I can draw on my life experience (which I can guarantee you FAR exceeds yours as far as this particular topic is concerned) and completely negate everything your saying? Just because I'm not agreeing with your completely naive views of the world, doesn't mean that I don't have any experience in this area. That's just a completely stupid assumption, usually made by an over-sheltered floozy who thinks they have some sort of authority because their friend went through some issues.

I know they would put age restrictions on it, and you're naive if you think it will do anything to reduce underage pot smoking. It can only increase the amount of kids that would partake if they think it'll be okay when they're 'a few years older'.

Oh right. A couple of things, you were the one who brought it up, saying that age restrictions were the government's way of helping keep it out of kids hands. Now you're saying that I'm the one being naive? That's weird. Then again, you are just drawing from your life experience, so I'll excuse you for this one.

I know you goaded me into this so you could tear it apart. Go nuts. You're for it, and I'm against it. You have a super fantastic day.

Oh, and nice work on the double post.
Just the kind of attitude I would expect from someone like you.

DeletedUser

Am I naive enough to believe that if marijuana wasn't legal that it would have changed anything or any of the decision that they made? Oh, that's right, it was illegal, so no that wouldn't have changed anything.

I'm not saying it's gonna reverse anything, I'm just saying it could make things worse than they are for kids who are impressionable. Is that such an out of line thought? Apparently.

That's just a completely stupid assumption, usually made by an over-sheltered floozy who thinks they have some sort of authority because their friend went through some issues.

I'm not claiming to be an 'expert' or having 'authority' I'm merely stating why I don't like the idea. So can you tell me what the benefits are to it being legalized? I have yet to read anything from you in this thread with any kind of actual debates or points. Seems to me the majority of your posting is ridiculing people who are willing to state their opinions and thoughts.

You goaded, I told. We obviously disagree. I've only stated my opinions, experiences and thoughts, and all you've done is tear them down and ridicule me. Nothing has been said to actually discuss any of my posts with your points of view until you talked briefly about your experiences in high school.

Okay, so legalize it, choose a high price, and tax the crap out of it so no kids will be able to afford it.

DeletedUser

I live in BC. I'm saying decriminalization is acceptable, in my opinion. It's not decriminalized here, but some cops are pretty lax about it and won't necessarily arrest anybody for it...

Okay, you need to have a reason? You desire to hear my opinion? Awwww...

I think that even more people will have it in their homes, giving their children more access to it than they already have. It'll tell their kids 'sure, go ahead and get baked, we do it!' Kids already smoke and drink before it's legal, here's another thing to expose them to at an early age. Yes, I know some kids already do it, but there are some that don't have access to it. So let's say the gov't starts selling packs of marijuana cigarettes, adults may leave them lying around the house like they may do with regular, deadly cigarettes, which is already wrong, if they have kids. Those curious kids will definitely grab them...what happens to kids that go to parties and get stoned? They could get introduced to harder drugs. Peer pressure, kids, and drugs don't mix. This happened to a friend of mine in high school, she started with pot, and started hanging out with the 'stoner' crowd, and cocaine took over for her. Legalizing pot tells kids 'well if I can smoke it when I'm older, I can smoke it now'.

There, happy? I know you just wanted me to post so you can pick it apart...

See, you can't legislate morality or intelligence. It's the parents responsibility to teach their kids what is, and isn't acceptable. Also the parents should monitor who their child is "Hanging out with".

Also, cigarettes and alchohol are already illegal for minors, Just look how well that's worked.

All prohibition has ever done is made prices higher, and empowered/enrichened organized crime.

The most direct cause for the power and growth of "The Mafia" in the USA was the prohibition on alcohol. Before that time there were still the Italian Families, but they were local groups, engaged in extortion, gambling, and prostitution.

The Prohibition of Alcohol gave them a HUGE, ready made, market for illegal booze.

With the Huge influx of money they became more competitive with each other, which led to more violence.

There was more money, so it was easier to buy off cops, judges, and politicos.

Look at the history books, prohibition has never worked.

DeletedUser

I'm not saying it's gonna reverse anything, I'm just saying it could make things worse than they are for kids who are impressionable. Is that such an out of line thought? Apparently.

So just because you've got his silly assumption based off of no evidence that more kids are going to start smoking pot once it's legalized, it should stay illegal? All this, coming from someone who has done zero research and is basing their opinions off of self-righteous anecdotes? I'm supposed to take what you're saying seriously? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

I'm not claiming to be an 'expert' or having 'authority' I'm merely stating why I don't like the idea.
You sure did make a lot of declarations about the sociological effects of legalizing marijuana, so for someone to backtrack and say that they're just expressing their opinion is a bit laughable at this point.

So can you tell me what the benefits are to it being legalized?
1. Tax money.
2. The tax money could be used to fun drug-awareness programs which educate people (both kids and adults) about street drugs and their effects as well as rehabilitation clinics and programs.
3. Jobs would open up in this particular sector.
4. The drug cartels would lose a significant source of their trade, thus weakening their deadly grasp on society.
5. Hemp is a very good alternative to a lot of the chemicals and materials we use today, such as cotton.

There's more, but I'll let you deal with those first seeing as you've got a good amount of homework to be done if you want to argue that your anecdotal experience is actually a decent reason to stop the legalization of marijuana versus all the benefits I just listed.

You goaded, I told. We obviously disagree. I've only stated my opinions, experiences and thoughts, and all you've done is tear them down and ridicule me. Nothing has been said to actually discuss any of my posts with your points of view until you talked briefly about your experiences in high school.

You haven't said anything of substance whatsoever. All you've done is cite anecdotal experience and rant like you know what's going to happen and you've got a firm grasp on how society is going to react to the full legalization of marijuana as if anyone really thinks of it being worse than alcohol nowadays. Everyone knows it's safer, less addicting, and less intrusive than, say, alcohol, so to say that alcohol should stay legal and marijuana shouldn't be is just bad logic.

Okay, so legalize it, choose a high price, and tax the crap out of it so no kids will be able to afford it.
You've got the wrong idea about kids. Kids will get it. By making it expensive you're not keeping it away from kids, you're making so there's still going to be illegal trade because everyone wants cheap marijuana. You want to balance it somewhere between taxed to hell and affordable, that way we cut out the cartels completely. Kids are kids and they will get it no matter what cost. As you said, if their parents can afford it, then affording it isn't even an obstacle.

DeletedUser

Panache, this is one of the very few times that Divest and I agree on a subject, Maybe you should rethink, research, and reconsider your opinion. I'm not saying you don't have a right to them, but you might find out things you didn't know before.

DeletedUser

Actually, it seems you and I agree more than disagree. Maybe the disagreement was a fluke more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.