Irulia: The Spirit Changers Quest

• Thread starter DeletedUser31931
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser31931

As the sun rose over the plains it was a clear morning. They could see almost as far as the eye could see to the east and to the south. To the North lay Heldon Forest and to the West the Marshlands and far far away to the south near the southern range of mountain borders the wisps of smoke floated up, clear in the morning Sun but far away in the distance, at least another half a day's travel from their current path.

Sam walked into the camp as Seamus barked orders. The boy stretched his arms over his head and let out a yawn before moving over to where his bag is. "I've got some bread and cheese left over in my bag," he said as he pulled it out, "I'll pass it round." He tore a chunk of bread and handed it to Sera, he smiled but remembered she couldn't see it and said "There's some bread for you, if you eat up I'll put your stuff into a bag and carry it as well so you can go as an animal. It's the least I could do."

He pulled off his shirt, quickly showing off a toned chest from many hours spent training, flashing a quick grin he pulled on a new shirt and stuffed the old one inside his bag. When he was done he pulled the bag across his shoulders and moved over to Sera, awaiting her response.

DeletedUser28032

“We’re not having breakfast? None at all?” Seraphim asked in a small shocked voice; neither her nor her stomach finding the idea of going without all that appealing. Thankfully however it was at this point that Sam reappeared from wherever he’d disappeared to last night; placing a piece of bread into her hands whilst offering to pack and carry her bag for her so that she could travel in animal form. As tempting as that was Seraphim knew that to do so wouldn’t help her in the long term, she needed to learn to cope with….with…this and spending her life as an animal wouldn’t help matters. Besides which she still wasn’t all too comfortable with boys being overly friendly towards her, the uncomfortable memories of being asked out by three boys in the space of three minutes after years of being ignored still just a little too fresh “Thank you Sam but I need to learn how to cope with this on my own…besides which I can still taste the rabbit the wolf caught last night if you know what I mean” she said with a small laugh hoping that he would understand what she was talking about
With Lecta declining to talk about his dream, the way he spoke causing Seraphim to wonder rather guiltily whether her abrupt tone of voice had upset him she decided to start packing up her things if only to prove to herself and Sam that she could do it, that and the fact that Seamus seemed to be in a tearing rush to get moving again.
Transforming into a mouse the tiny creature blinked several times as it adjusted to the sudden introduction of light to its world before darting off to explore Seraphim’s pack and bedding before returning back to her normal form so that she could pack away her things with a few quick and confident motions; even if she did have to rearrange the buttons on her tunic Gods how do the others manage to do it without looking like they were dressed by a five year old!?
It was as she was adjusting the straps of her pack that she sensed Lecta move to stand beside her obviously intending for her to take his hand like yesterday, however unlike yesterday she could tell that something wasn’t quite right with him “Lecta…I…I am sorry if I upset you, I didn’t mean to honest…I can walk with Mandan if you’re mad at me” she said sheepishly hoping that Lecta wouldn’t start shouting at her or worse rescind his offer to take her dancing as she would probably burst into tears and then the others would all laugh at her for being such a silly girl crying over something as silly as a dance that may never happen, not realising how important it was to her. They wouldn’t do that to me…would they? No you’re being silly Lecta’s nice to you remember and Mandan wouldn’t laugh at you even if Lecta did make you cry…at least I don’t think he would.
Fidgeting anxiously with the hem of her tunic as she silently panicked Seraphim waited to see how Lecta would respond.

Apelatia

Lecta's false excitement for the day ahead caused him to completely forget about having something to eat, and so as the others ate, courtesy of Sam, who insisted on showing off his chest afterwards, Lecta fidgeted nervously on the spot, waiting for...something to happen. That 'something' soon came along in the form of Sera apologising for upsetting him. That had been the last thing that he had thought to expect, and so, he stepped backward in alarm, before falling rapidly onto the ground, having tripped over his own foot. "Ouch!" He exclaimed in alarm at the sudden pain that flared up the side of his body. Once it had subsided however, he responded to Sera, though still lay on the floor. With the happiest voice that he could possibly muster he said, "I'm fine Sera. You didn't upset me at all! ...and if you want to walk with Mandan instead, I won't mind! It won't change anything!" Lecta suddenly realised what he'd said, and immediately hastened to correct himself. "I mean... If you want to walk with Mandan, I won't mind. You can walk with me tomorrow, and... No! That's not what I meant..." At this point, Lecta's face turned crimson. He was digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole, and perhaps now was an apt time to stop talking? What on earth would the others think of him?

Still sat on the floor, Lecta once again picked up his bag, making it clear that he was ready to move on, though with his cheeks burning with a cherry colour, it would only be a matter of time before someone decided to bring what had happened up again... Why was he such an idiot?

Deleted User - 819397

Mandan glared at Seamus as the boy scolded him for not waking him up for the final watch and sleeping. He wasn't going to say anything, but then realized that that was what the old Mandan would do…while Sera had opened his eyes to the possibility that his current self wasn't bad, The Ultimate One's words still haunted him, and so he forced himself to explain. "I couldn't sleep. I figured I'd do something useful instead of lay there awake." Each word was bitten off, making it clear he didn't want to be saying anything. Sighing, he turned to watch the events unfold between Sera and Lecta…the two were bumbling around with apologies and frustrations. He observed the proceedings with detached interest…was this what The Ultimate One was hoping he'd become? If so he was better off stabbing his heart right now, because he couldn't imagine transforming so utterly. He didn't see what the benefit to acting thus was either…he concealed his feelings with his demeanor, so did they…occasionally, like with Lecta currently, those feelings slipped…the dark boy had had that happen the first time Sam had come across him with his emotional mask off. How were the two different, all things considered? Sighing again, he waited for them to actually begin moving, thoughts continuing to swirl as they had all night…

DeletedUser28032

Fearful panic rapidly turned to confusion as from what Seraphim could tell Lecta collapsed in front of her before then gabbling out something about it being alright if she wanted to walk with Mandan instead of him. Seraphim could help but chuckle softly behind her hand before crouching down in order to be on the same level as him as she spoke “Oh Lecta you are silly you know that right?” she said with a smile having completely forgotten her previous worries almost causing her to wonder whether he’d fallen over on purpose in order to distract her “Now come on, get up we need to get moving before Seamus starts shouting Allons-y at us again” the girl rolling her pretty deep blue if sightless eyes on mentioning the strange turn of phrase the boy used as she stood up straight once again “…or are you going to make me walk all by myself?”

Apelatia

Sera's reaction to his blunders was completely unexpected, as usual... Everything that everyone said to him nowadays was not what he had been expecting... His face still wearing a shade of red that would have looked most delicate on a flower, but that gave the opposite effect for him, his incredulity caused him to mouth in the most innocent voice possible, "Silly?" The face expression worn by him would likely have caused Sera to burst out laughing had she been able to see it. As it was, she was already chuckling to herself at his embarrassing behaviour. Shaking his head, he gazed at her pretty eyes stupendously, before smiling happily and sitting up. His aching side stung a little when he pushed himself back to his feet, but the short groan that followed was to be expected...

As he brushed himself off, Lectanus laughed. His laugh was an interesting one, it was a joyful sound, though clearly not one that was heard often. It had that unpractised air to it that came from someone that didn't exactly know how to express laughter in their own voice. The thoughts of his nightmare had passed away for the present, and Sera had found a way to cheer him up. As his laughter faded away, he spoke again, this time in a voice that wasn't 'put-on'. "I wouldn't dream of leaving you to find your way on your own. I guess it is time we started moving again..." Having said that, Lecta took Sera's hand softly, before giving it a tight squeeze... He was about to announce that they were ready to the others, when he realised that he'd left one thing unsaid. With one of his hands to stop his words from carrying, he leaned over and whispered into her ear. "You're the nicest person I've ever met, Sera. I can't imagine why no one has asked you to that dance before, but I'm...glad...glad that we can go together... Thank you."

Straightening himself into an upright position again, Lecta looked towards Seamus, ready to move out whenever everyone else was ready...

Last edited:

DeletedUser13682

Seamus had returned to the group, expecting everyone to be packed and ready to go. While it was true that they were mostly packed, they were also eating, something Seamus had said they didn’t have time to do. Apparently they did though; everyone was packed up and ready to go. Seamus wanted to scold them or something, but his 20 minute deadline had just passed but a moment ago, and none of them were doing wrong. “Alright, let’s go. Sam, you have that map right?” Seamus picked up his pack, and turned toward the general direction of Enylia (hopefully). “You’ll make sure we don’t get lost. The rest of us will keep a lookout for any enemies. I’d rather we hide then fight; our group is small and everyone’s survival is top priority, in accordance with the Ultimate One. But if we must fight, and that is the option of last resort, we must all be prepared to win. I’d rather not any of us die. Understood?”

DeletedUser28032

Upon receiving the unexpected compliment Seraphim couldn’t stop herself from blushing; her cheeks turning a rather bright shade of pink that was most unbecoming for a girl with pale blonde hair “You’re just saying that to be nice” she mumbled bashfully, her head automatically looking downwards as if to examine her boots “…next you’ll be saying that I am pretty” she said with a nervous laugh as Lecta began moving after the others, with Seamus announcing that they had to keep their eyes peeled for trouble as he didn't want to lose anybody else...not that it was really up to him anyway. Walking along Seraphim assumed Lecta was following the others truting him completely to lead her, he could be leading her in completely the wrong direction and she wouldn’t know for ages…or really care if she was honest as she was quite happy to be just walking beside him holding his hand.
It was after several minutes of this with Seraphim giving her skin chance to return to a more respectable colour that she spoke to Lecta in a low voice so as not to be overheard “Lecta…is…is Mandan alright? I mean…when I spoke to him last night he seemed a little…upset, he said that the Ultimate one had told him he had to change and now he just doesn’t seem himself…I am kind of worried about him”

Apelatia

"You don't believe I'm telling the truth?" Lecta asked teasingly. "...and I would tell you that you're pretty too, but you'd probably decide to hit me or something...and then I'd end up..." he paused, then continued. "Well, you get what I mean..." Silently, Lecta hoped that Sera would understand what he was trying to say. Otherwise, he'd end up getting slapped anyway, and that was something he'd rather avoid... As he walked, his thoughts drifted from what lay before them, to Sera, and back again... It seemed that the direction that his mind took was not entirely under his control... The nightmare had proved that, and it was only being enforced by his current wishy washy behaviour...

After they had walked for some more time, Sera asked about Mandan's current state of mind. She explained that she'd talked to him the night before, and that he'd seemed upset. Lecta lowered his voice, so that neither the other boy, nor the rest of the group would be able to hear him. "I'm worried too. Ever since I ran into him in the forest after I hit you..." Lecta stopped abruptly. He had not intended to bring that particular topic up, nor say it in that way... Hoping that Sera wouldn't notice, he continued, "...and especially since he talked to the Ultimate One, he's been so strange... He's been acting awkwardly, and it's like he's almost scared of something... I don't know really. When I shook his hand to say that we'd be allies, he tensed, like I was some stranger, or something..." Lecta sighed, then carried on, "I'd try to talk to him, but I didn't really get along with him before... When you got kidnapped, I ranted at the whole group, and him especially. I don't think he's looked on me favourably since that... I think you're the best person to talk to him to understand what's going through his head..."

Last edited:

DeletedUser31931

Thankfully Seamus had turned in the correct direction, the group was now heading almost directly south along the path and they made quick progress, soon leaving the camp behind. They had passed around half a day, Sam often checking the map for tick-points and all of the other things they had learnt about navigation, and were now on the road that connected Enylia to Rakasi, one of the few cobblestone roads in the world of Irulia, whilst most paths were clear and defined few had been cobbled due to the great effort involved. Surprisingly the roads were empty, whereas usually one would expect to see a travelling merchant or something of the sort on their travels, they had seen no such thing.

Sam was lagging slightly behind the group as they reached the road, using the sun as a compass and the side from which they had approached the road he determined they were turning left before calling out to Seamus. "It's probably safe enough here for now so I vote that we take a rest break and have what's left of our supplies for lunch. At our current speed we should probably reach Enylia by late afternoon and I have some money so we could certainly find a place to bed for the night as well as restocking on supplies there before we head out into the desert."

Deleted User - 819397

As the group began walking, Mandan didn't pay attention to where he was, aside from ensuring he was as far from Sam as possible…he regretted telling the other boy he could try to help him…he seriously doubted there'd be something he could do…he couldn't sleep, had lost his appetite, and he couldn't transform. Sera's words had helped bolster him to an extent, but in the face of these issues he wasn't sure how much truth was actually in them anymore. Perhaps parts of him weren't flawed and didn't contribute to him being a failed person, but the whole was not something that could be redeemed. That would make some sense…it would explain how both The Ultimate One and Sera's words rang true in him…he was doomed, but had at least managed to make some small impact in the world.

As Sam suggested they break for lunch, Mandan felt his stomach lurch, not with hunger, but with queasiness. He knew he wouldn't be able to stomach anything, so he simply stopped, facing away from the rest of the group…he couldn't risk going off alone, so he'd have to endure the deliberations. All the dark boy could hope was that they'd decide quickly, so they wouldn't waste more time marching towards whatever fate deemed appropriate for them.

DeletedUser28032

With Lecta first teasing her over her disbelief of his compliment and then insisting that she really was pretty it took a fair while for her cheeks to return to a normal colour; the girl playfully punching him on the top of the arm in retaliation though in truth she rather liked the compliment, after all it wasn’t everyday that she received one.
After recovering from her initial fear of moving in the dark had subsided; the girl gripping Lecta’s hand perhaps just a little too tightly as he led her through the trees. She marvelled at the new experiences brought by her heightened senses; the feel of grass and underbrush turning to hard cobbles beneath her booted feet, the feel of the wind on her cheeks as they emerged from the forest and into the open fields that lined the road and the feel of Lecta’s hand within her own. It was as if she could almost see where she was just by using her other senses with only the occasional trip or stumble when she hit something unexpected bringing the picture in her head crashing down around her.
Yet despite these little mishaps she was rather enjoying herself: chattering away to Lecta about anything that entered her head though she wasn’t sure why as she wasn’t normally like this and normally went to great lengths not to be that girl. It was just that...well...for some reason being around Lecta made her feel really happy and cheerful and she wasn’t even sure why.
With Sam’s announcement that they should stop to rest, which was strange as she thought Seamus was the self proclaimed leader of the group, Seraphim gratefully stepped off of the cobbles and onto the grass verge; dropping her heavy pack by her feet glad for a few moments respite as it took a lot of concentration on her part to move at the pace being set. She half considered moving in animal form for a moment only to discard it knowing that she wouldn’t be able to carry her pack not that the boys would mind carrying the extra weight between them, hell they’d probably fight over who would get to carry it! Boys are strange she thought with a sigh. She’d gone from being at best completely ignored or picked on to receiving multiple declarations of love all in the same morning to now being some kind of little sister figure with them all offering to help her though some of that was down to her losing her eyesight of that much she was sure.
Realising that perhaps she could take advantage of this fact Seraphim turns her head vaguely in the direction that she thought Mandan was and softly calls over to him “Mandan can you help me with my hair please? I’d ask Lecta but he tends to pull it out by the roots...sorry Lecta” she said in way of apology to Lecta hoping that he wouldn’t take it too badly and realise that it was only a way of getting Mandan alone for a few moments so that she could talk to him as it was clear that something was still bothering him despite the talk they’d had last night.

DeletedUser13682

The morning was spent walking in near total silence. Just their boots moving up and down, at least for Seamus. He had gone into near autopilot, letting his feet take him in the right direction. They knew where they needed to go. He spent the morning trying to figure out how to best lead the group. He seemed to be doing alright so far, but the way everybody just stood there and ate, even though he had said they would have to eat on the go worried him. If they didn’t want to follow something like that, what would happen when something extremely serious came up, requiring a level head and an unquestioned obedience? Seamus did not know the answer to that. He was broken out of his thinking by Sam suggesting they rest for lunch; the town of Enylia being only a few more hour’s walk away. Sam said they would make it by late afternoon. Seeing how everyone else had already stopped and began getting out their food, Seamus shrugged. “Sure, that works.”

He sat down underneath the shade of a tree, and pulled out his food. His lunch consisted of strips of salted beef, flatbread, and water. As the others enjoyed themselves, Seamus thought about what he was doing. He didn’t really know why the Ultimate One had chosen him to be leader of the group. The others probably thought he was just using the Ultimate One as an excuse to get control of the group. He would have to do something to prove that he was the right person to lead the group. The question was how. After about 10 minutes of eating, Seamus felt that it was time to go. He walked back to the group and made his announcement. “It’s time to start moving again. I’ll give you five minutes to pack up. Whatever food you didn’t eat can be finished on the move. Let’s go.”

Deleted User - 819397

Mandan's musing was broken by Sera asking him to come help her with her hair, claiming Lecta had been a bit rough with it. Deciding that he couldn't mess this up too badly, the dark boy murmured agreement before moving to stand behind her, touching her shoulder slightly to inform her of her presence. Drawing on his memory of what Lecta had done the day before, he began to replicate it, being sure to be gentle. "Let me know if I'm doing something wrong, ok?" he murmured, focusing his entire mind on the task at hand…anything that could distract him from his thoughts was something he would grasp at…

DeletedUser28032

Seraphim waited until Mandan had begun the task of straightening her hair before asking in a gentle voice "Mandan, what’s the matter? and don't say nothing because I know something is bothering you, Hell Lecta knows something is bothering you and you know how unobservant boys are" she said with a small laugh before resuming her soothing tone of voice "...is it what you told me about last night because I can't help you if you won't tell me and I don't like see...it...when you're upset, so what’s the matter?" she hoped he wouldn't lie to her or brush it off entirely as she knew from bitter experience that these things often got worse and she didn't want him to go through whatever it was that was bothering him alone.

Apelatia

Having spent much of the day talking to Sera, Lectanus felt strangely calm as Sam voted to take a rest. Lecta released Sera's hand cautiously when she asked Mandan to do her hair, stating that he (Lecta) pulled the hairs out by the roots. Realising immediately what Sera was intending to do, Lecta gave her hand a gentle squeeze before moving to stand away from the pair. As he waited, he looked onward up the road that lay before them. Before them was Enylia, the place they'd been trying to get to for so long now...and beyond that, either the Ultimate One or some false pretender that had set a trap for them all... At the start of the journey, when he'd first met the other members of the group, depleted as it now was, he would have probably not cared if he had died at the end. After all, he had been willing to sacrifice himself to save the forest from burning, surely now would be a good time to die? Those would have been his thoughts but a few weeks earlier... Now though, a desire to...'do' things overwhelmed those depressing thoughts... A desire to attend the Winter Ball with Sera; to discover the ability to heal people, and...perhaps...perhaps...learn how to be confident. Even if the Ultimate One turned out to be a farce, he would fight for his life for everything that he had yet to do, and to keep Sera alive. Those would be his goals...

As Seamus once again assumed command and gave them five minutes to get ready (Not that he needed anywhere near five minutes to simply start walking again), Lecta gazed around at the group for possibly the millionth time. Sera, Mandan, Seamus and Sam. That was all the people left, besides him. Maybe all his quarrels with them up until this point had been perhaps a little...silly... Not yet though... He wasn't ready to completely place his trust in all of them and count them as friends. Right now, only Sera, and to a certain extent, Seamus deserved that place in his mind...

Deleted User - 819397

Mandan inwardly cursed as Sera brought the conversation to his state of mind yet again. She correctly guessed that it was centered around their conversation the night before. "While I won't argue your point last night, as it rings true, The Ultimate One still worries me. He said very firmly that I will die if I don't change. With that kind of pressure…" he trailed off, not sure how to continue that line of thought. After a moment he started from a different angle. "I'm…conflicted. Part of me knows there's nothing inherently wrong with me now, the other part is telling me that I have to change, and NOW…the two parts are tearing me apart at the seams, and honestly I don't foresee it getting better…" He left off that he couldn't eat or sleep, and especially that he couldn't transform…he didn't think he'd be able to live with the shame if that came out…no, he had to fix that before anyone noticed…

DeletedUser28032

"ooh just you wait until I get my hands on her again" Seraphim threatened angrily upon learning that poor Mandan was torturing himself over what she had said to him, sight or no sight she'd teach the Ultimate One a thing or two "ok just forget about what she said, she's just a bossy, manipulative cow! Now ask yourself are you happy being the person you are? forget what other people say what do you want?" she asked hoping that he'd understand what he'd have to do once he'd answered her question "You've already changed so much since I first met you I mean you're actually talking to me whilst doing my hair the old Mandan would have run a mile if I’d suggested that...and doing a pretty good job may I add" she said with a small laugh as she'd been fully expecting to suffer in order to pull off this particular ruse "Also...there’s something else I'd like to ask you...I..." Sera stopped as she steeled herself to ask her favour "...I...need you to teach me how to fight again...I'd ask Lecta but he's afraid of hurting me, I need someone who won't hold back or just let me win...can...can you teach me?"

Deleted User - 819397

Sera reinforced that he should ignore The Ultimate One and instead be the person he wanted to be. "I would prefer that, definitely…but the death threat over my head indicates it might not be a valid option…" the dark boy to explain, but was cut off by Sera pointing out that what he was doing right now was something that he would never have done before, and that gave him pause. She was right…if he'd been asked to help her with her hair before they'd set out he'd have simply subjected her with a glare to show he had no intention of complying…and to talk while doing it? Unthinkable. This whole scenario wasn't something that would have been possible before…and yet, here they were. He was straightening her hair…with his gloves off as well, able to feel the strands on his bare skin which was an unusual sensation in and of itself…and holding a conversation, even if it wasn't anything pleasant.

This revelation was fairly startling to Mandan, and he realized that he had in fact changed from the outset of the journey…for a brief moment he dared to hope that this was enough to change his fate that The Ultimate One foretold, but the more pragmatic side of the dark boy told him this wasn't enough. "You…you're right…I have changed, I can't deny that…but I don't know how much I need to change to avoid the death that I was informed of. Because of that, I feel pressured to continue to do so, and that's wrecking me…I wasn't told how much I had to change…'You must re-join the world, or prepare to meet your doom', he said. What does that constitute? When have I done that? I don't know…and because I don't…here I am, like this."

At this point Sera asked if he could teach her how to fight again, seeing as a lot of what she'd learned up to this point relied on her eyes. Mandan felt a brief surge of some positive emotion that she recognized she needed someone who wouldn't hold back in order to improve…she had indeed learned. "I'll do what I can…I'll have to think on how to best force you to overcome your lack of sight…give me a while to think on that, and I'll help…deal?"

Once she'd replied, the dark boy stepped away from Sera slightly, hands dropping to his sides. "I think that about does it, unless you can feel something still off?" He hesitated, then steeled himself and stepped close again, dropping his voice until it was almost imperceptible. "My…I…I can't…I haven't…ever since…nevermind…thanks for listening…I do appreciate it…" He moved back to a respectable distance between them, his task that required him to be close to her complete, though remained at a distance that two people would be at when talking. He cursed inwardly…for a moment he thought he'd be able to confide his lack of ability to transform, but again the shame of this problem prevented him…out of everything, his inability to sleep or eat…his mental state…the disappearance of such a key part of him was what worried him most…was he truly a Spirit Changer anymore if he couldn't manage it?

DeletedUser28032

Hearing Mandan agree to help her Seraphim couldn’t help the surge of joy and excitement that coursed through her; the girl turning on the spot and throwing her arms about Mandan in an over enthusiastic hug or rather she fell into him as she misjudged the distance between the two of them, but that didn’t matter because he’d said yes and he was going to teach her to fight so she could remain a Spirit Changer “Thank you Mandan, thank you, thank you thank you! I’ll make it up to you I promise!” she babbled excitedly hardly believing her luck.
So excited in fact that she almost missed the change in Mandan’s mood as he started to speak only cut himself off and brush it all aside saying it was nothing “No, go on please whatever it is Mandan I promise I won’t laugh or tell the others” she said softly keeping her voice low so as to avoid the others overhearing or at least minimise how much they heard “...I can’t help you if you won’t tell me”

Status
Not open for further replies.