has affirmative action gone too far?

DeletedUser

I don't know why random quotes about gangs where being thrown out. It went from more jobs causing "white trash", to gang history (while still quoting the employment related posts).

I just guessed he watched a documentary and was really proud of it.

now lets got into slavery since it is kind of on the same subject.

should I be blamed for something that happened 100 years ago because of people that were white and owned slaves. and it was black people who first sold the black slaves. Americans was just another customer.

so I ask you should America have taken the full responsability for slavory in America. now im not saying slavory was a good thing. and if I was around in that time I would be against it.

I think Giz just created this thread to air his racist rants and vent his spleen. At least it is kind of on topic, we just need to change the thread title to 'Gizmo hates black people and blames them for all his problems because.....'
And yes Giz the US should take full responsibilty for slavery within the US!
I cannot believe for a second that you would be against slavery if you lived in a time where it was normal and socially acceptable.

DeletedUser

Ok, I'll try to be a little clearer this time. I don't believe that affirmative action has anything to do with slavery. It has to do with the fact that, for most of the history of the US, people who are classified as "minorities" have been treated as second class citizens. There isn't anything that says that affirmative action applies only to one race, it covers all minorities. That includes different races and ethnicities (Jewish people are NOT people of color, but have been discriminated against), and women.

For some reason most complaints about it seem to turn it into a black/white issue, but that is only one part of it. I'd like to think that I've never contributed to the problem, but I have definitely seen the results of discrimination many times; and have been the target of it a few times because I'm not a male. I'm not entirely sure that affirmative action per se is still needed in most places, but laws covering equal employment opportunities, equal housing, equal schooling, etc. definitely are.

DeletedUser

I'm not entirely sure that affirmative action per se is still needed in most places, but laws covering equal employment opportunities, equal housing, equal schooling, etc. definitely are.

that I agree with. equal everything

DeletedUser

Wow, I really have to put Gizmo on Ignore because he really just makes me sick. I don't even want to read any more of the rubbish coming out of that sick little head of his. Seriously Giz, since you are in school take a Black Studies course or at least try to educate yourself about other races, nationalities and religions. Right now you are spewing out your opinions based purely on fears, lies, and stereotypes. You have a right to your opinion but at least let it be based on knowledge and facts. I don't know if you got this attitude from your parents or you ended up like this on your own. I only hope that you take steps to educate yourself. I just refuse to read any more of your crap.

DeletedUser

Is Brad Pitt the exception, the rule, or an individual? Is Bill Cosby the exception, the rule, or an individual? Am I the exception, the rule, or an individual? And you?

Assuming people are generalities is the great flaw in racism. From this great flaw are all the efforts to justify the founding belief.

DeletedUser8950

I think Giz just created this thread to air his racist rants and vent his spleen. At least it is kind of on topic, we just need to change the thread title to 'Gizmo hates black people and blames them for all his problems because.....'
And yes Giz the US should take full responsibilty for slavery within the US!
I cannot believe for a second that you would be against slavery if you lived in a time where it was normal and socially acceptable.
The U.S weren't fully to blame for the slave trade, but I hate the fact none of them want to claim responsibilty. I even remember someone saying the slave trade was a good thing.
America shouldn't have to take full responsibilty, but it should have to take alot of it. Gizmo, you obviously didn't do anything, but all I can remember any of the countries really doing for the slave trade was some crappy little apology, and it took them a few hundred years.
And no Gizmo, iirc, the white's took the black's before they even started selling each other, and if they didn't sell them the white's would just take them anyway. And even if black's did sell first, America weren't just "another customer," they also stole men who's tribes wouldn't sell them off. Stop trying to glorify America as the perfect land who did nothing wrong in the slave trade. There is no land really in the right.
You don't seem to realize the effect the slave trade had on Africa. Nearly all it's strongest young men were taken away. It's workers, laborours and such. That is one of the reasons Africa is so poor. The slave trade has still left marks on Africa to this day.

DeletedUser

i would say the colonization of the european powers has left a larger mark than the slave trade by a large margin . Im not just talking about africa either

DeletedUser

I would say the "continued" economic colonization, by North American and European powers, maintains large marks that are just as scarring as the continued slave trade.

DeletedUser

I think a better question and possibly less rasict would be has political correctness gone to far?

DeletedUser

Morgan Freeman was attempting to illustrate the problem, not attempting to illustrate a solution.

DeletedUser

I think the biggest problems with political correctness occur when people who lack a sense of humour confuse satire of descrimination with actual descrimination. Usually it is actual bigots that seem to do this, thinking "hang on, I'm not allowed to say those things, why are they?" without realising that they are actually the butt of the joke.

DeletedUser

Because political incorrectness has done so well for our country?

It is at least imho quite closely linked to affirmative action. It has in some cases done some good, such as the N word no longer being acceptable.

DeletedUser

such as the N word no longer being acceptable.

for white people to say. if you are black it is ok.

and how is this one there is craker (not a swear) that is used by white people that originated at the same time

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think the biggest problems with political correctness occur when people who lack a sense of humour confuse satire of descrimination with actual descrimination. Usually it is actual bigots that seem to do this, thinking "hang on, I'm not allowed to say those things, why are they?" without realising that they are actually the butt of the joke.

and how is this one there is craker (not a swear) that is used by white people that originated at the same time

I rest my case.

DeletedUser

People generally try to desensitize themselves to a word by using it themselves. There was a Lenny Bruce skit about this...I won't repeat it here, but you can look it up. It starts out with "Are there any N*'s in the house?"

Gays will call each other "fag".

Blacks will call each other "n*".

But, when it is used in the context of one gay calling another gay a "fag" or one black calling another black a "n*", there isn't the inherent racism involved when you have a white guy calling a black guy a "n*"...

On another note, Richard Prior was famous for using the N-word all over the place. He then went to Africa and saw the oppression there, first hand. He never used the word again...