Dueling Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

How about a voucher for the marketplace ;) We know tournaments won't be implemented until after trade, so it could work. Perhaps Winners could get relative value vouchers, when spent on marketplace the seller receives the cash and the voucher is void with no change.

I think is best from now to break down how each individual factor would work like people are now. I also think every single point and method on the summary should be up for debate as there are many ways to achieve this idea and no stone should be left unturned and nothing presumed correct or incorrect without proper discussion. Mainly because me likes the concept of user-created tourneys :D

DeletedUser

There are too many problems with this idea that really need to be solved. lamorra have fun going over every aspect of this idea because you would be here for days, you are never going to get it perfect.

Having said that the idea on the whole is a good one but i think that the suggested prizes are too large and as i said earlier i think the prize would be better if you received and item for winning the tournament instead of getting money as this would be easier to manage as there would be no problem such as making a quest and furthermore could be used to boost duelling and would also separate the men from the boys as the winners would have a status symbol of this object.

I think that if you are going to do hundreds if not thousands of tournaments that are set up by the players then this idea will just fail because i know that if i was a very good dueller then i would just enter all the tournaments i could and win making me incredibly rich because even if i lost a few the cost to enter is so small it would take 2 hours max to make it back whereas if i won the tournament i could use the profits for a long time. Furthermore if this idea is dont like this it should be done on duelling level and not actual level.

I would make more points but there are so many unresolved issues with this idea that i don't have the time. However i also dont think that making various tournaments for various levels is a good idea either because if you have an outstanding person at one particular level as i said earlier they're just going to become majorly rich so i think there should be alternative suggestions on ways to run the tournament becuase i think running it like an actual tournament would be higely difficult to make and would also be boring for people who arent actually that good at duelling. Which raises a further point as to why there should be a duelling tournament as it clearly makes duelling the best character type to make as the benfits far out wiegh the benefits of the other methods.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser363

However i also dont think that making various tournaments for various levels is a good idea either because if you have an outstanding person at one particular level as i said earlier they're just going to become majorly rich so i think there should be alternative suggestions on ways to run the tournament

Thats the thing, there usually isn't just one outstanding person at their level who could beat everyone because there is probably alot of people who are pure duelers. If this tournament wasn't divided into levels, then of course the higher level players would always win, but dividing it by levels makes it even

becuase i think running it like an actual tournament would be higely difficult to make and would also be boring for people who arent actually that good at duelling.Which raises a further point as to why there should be a duelling tournament as it clearly makes duelling the best character type to make as the benfits far out wiegh the benefits of the other methods.
Well, if you are not good at dueling, why would you even expect to win. There are people who set themselves up to be duelers from the beginning, so it should make sense that they win instead of a non-dueler.

DeletedUser

There are too many problems with this idea that really need to be solved. lamorra have fun going over every aspect of this idea because you would be here for days, you are never going to get it perfect.

Agreed it will take forever if we go ever every single aspect and every single possibility. That should not stop anyone from raising other viable options and having them discussed if people show a support for the idea.

Having said that the idea on the whole is a good one but i think that the suggested prizes are too large and as i said earlier i think the prize would be better if you received and item for winning the tournament instead of getting money as this would be easier to manage as there would be no problem such as making a quest and furthermore could be used to boost duelling and would also separate the men from the boys as the winners would have a status symbol of this object.

Receiving an item is a possibility. I had suggested at the beginning of this thread that maybe an armor set could be the prize. No one seemed to jump on the idea or even commented on it. So I threw that idea out the window. In the revised plan for monetary prize I put forth an earlier suggestion of a trophy (as an item) given to the winner that could be sold for cash in the stores. As far as I'm concerned the prize can be determined by the devs if we can't come up with a solution here. Everyone is not going to agree on the same thing and I went into this knowing that.

I think that if you are going to do hundreds if not thousands of tournaments that are set up by the players then this idea will just fail because i know that if i was a very good dueller then i would just enter all the tournaments i could and win making me incredibly rich because even if i lost a few the cost to enter is so small it would take 2 hours max to make it back whereas if i won the tournament i could use the profits for a long time. Furthermore if this idea is dont like this it should be done on duelling level and not actual level.

I don't like player created tournaments either. I think it will flood the game with them and that it could possibly be abuseable. I disagree on using dueling level as opposed to character level. Just because you are level 20 with a dueling level of 35 does not make your skills nor your abilities as good as a level 35 dueler with a dueling level of 38. It just means you duel more. So only 3 dueling levels separate you but that level 35 has 15 more attribute points and 45 more skill points into his character development. You almost assuredly guarantee that the lower leveled players (though more active) will lose their matches.

I would make more points but there are so many unresolved issues with this idea that i don't have the time. However i also dont think that making various tournaments for various levels is a good idea either because if you have an outstanding person at one particular level as i said earlier they're just going to become majorly rich so i think there should be alternative suggestions on ways to run the tournament becuase i think running it like an actual tournament would be higely difficult to make and would also be boring for people who arent actually that good at duelling. Which raises a further point as to why there should be a duelling tournament as it clearly makes duelling the best character type to make as the benfits far out wiegh the benefits of the other methods.

If the tournaments are held monthly how is one player going to get outstandlingly rich? They still have to beat everyone else. They still have to enter the tournament and not miss any of their matches. The odds of the same person winning the tournament several times is small. Different players will be in the tournaments, players will have a chance to respec and buy new gear, there are a multitude of factors that can happen in a month.

You ask why make a dueling tournament at all. Because it would be interesting and add something to the game. If you don't want to enter the tournaments you don't have to.

I think you would be surprised about Duelers being the best character type to make for tournaments. Soldiers, especially with premium, have a bonus to tactics and health. I've beaten several duelers when I've been challenged due to my tactics as a soldier. Each fighter class has their benefits in a duel. Saying once class is better than the other in duels is just silly. Look at the duelers benefits: they can travel faster, they get money if they win a duel and their motivation for dueling increases faster. In an actual duel there is no benefit a dueler has tactically. He must rely on his build and intuition, not the advantages the game throws at him.

While I don't expect workers to enter the tournament they are eligible to. I've challenged a few workers and they've beat me. Plus I expect some players may have chosen a worker class and then respecced to be a fighter. Adventurers can also make terrific fighters. Its not necessarily the class you pick, its how you spec your character. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Now if anyone has comments that include suggestions or a viable alternative (with a basic plan of how it could work) then please post here. If you are just going to whine and complain then keep it to a minimum. Again, I know not everyone is going to agree about 100% or heck even 80% of everything, but I think we can get a majority opinion on this and work out any bugs that need be. Those that we can't we can leave up to the devs. The way I see it is if we can get a plan that is agreeable to most of us we can submit it to the devs. Otherwise we can just tell the devs we want tournys and have them figure everything out and who knows if we'll like what they come up with at all.

DeletedUser

Now if anyone has comments that include suggestions or a viable alternative (with a basic plan of how it could work) then please post here. If you are just going to whine and complain then keep it to a minimum. Again, I know not everyone is going to agree about 100% or heck even 80% of everything, but I think we can get a majority opinion on this and work out any bugs that need be. Those that we can't we can leave up to the devs. The way I see it is if we can get a plan that is agreeable to most of us we can submit it to the devs. Otherwise we can just tell the devs we want tournys and have them figure everything out and who knows if we'll like what they come up with at all.

That was my whole point :) Lets stay on track, debating the options and using fact and decisiveness to surpass hickups is how an idea turns into something, something other than a 15-page argument on why $99 is fairer than $101 at least.

What we have here is partly a debate on how a system would work on fairly matching two fighters and deciding a victor. This could form the basis of a much superior alternative to the current duel rankings system, tourneys or no tourneys. The other large part of the debate is how to implement a mechanic that would form a challenging, and exciting feature making this a better game all round.

Yes it favours fighting players and enriches the game for them, but then what is stopping anyone coming up with a feature that non-fighting characters can enjoy? Or even coming up with sub-features of a tournament platform that allow non-combatants to participate in some form?

DeletedUser

Gamecmdr what is the problem with people winning money?
If the game takes a house rake then I'm not entering and anyone of any sense would be well advised to avoid it.
Isn't it up to us what we spend our hard won gambling money on?

DeletedUser

Ok, lets try this again. If anyone wants to read the revised summary then go to page 3, post 30 (bottom of the page). I am listing the lingering questions here on my proposed plan. The plan I proposed has taken into consideration helpful suggestions and concerns that have been posted on this thread and in PMs to me. General whining and complaining has been ignored.

Questions remaining are:

1. Any more basic rules to be added
  2. Which building to use
  3. Fees for tournaments
  4. How many open spots for each contest
  5. How to divide up the levels for tournament purposes
  6. How should the winner's hometown benefit from the tournament.
  7. Should winning be divided up via prize pool or should there be a set amount for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.

As far as I'm concerned all of these remaining questions can be figured out by the devs. I'd rather do that than squabble over details like should the fee be $50 or $100 or something inbetween. No one is going to agree on a set price.

I think generally we are saying that:

1. We want tournaments divided up in a way so that no player is in a match against someone ranked way above them to make the duel fair.
  2. We want the tournament to be system generated
  3. We want the tournaments to be regularly scheduled
  4. Tournaments should be easily accesible through an existing building.
  5. You do not have to be online to duel in the tournament.
  6. Entrance fees should be appropriate based on the tournament level
  7. Players should not be able to enter a much lower ranked tournament in order to keep duels fair.
  8. You do not have to travel to duel
  9. The tournament should not affect ingame health, stats or location
  10. Prize money should be given in the form of a sellable product. Could be retrieved via Quest or some other manner.
  11. Hometowns should benefit in some way if their player wins.
  12. The tournament should have basic rules such as these:

• Each contestant must belong to a town
  • Any character class is free to enroll in the tournament.
  • Each contestant must participate in each matchup they are assigned to or they forfeit.
So why not leave it at that and let the devs figure out the rest. It is their game and they can do some of the work. Plus will save us 40 pages of haggling back and forth about issues we will never agree on.

DeletedUser

I think generally we are saying that:

Hometowns should benefit in some way if their player wins.

IMO it'd be better to leave that part out. Let the players of the game choose their interactions with one another rather than have the system play Papa Karl Marx on their behalf. I'm in favor of cooperation, just on a voluntary basis. Let the market work.

DeletedUser

Can we get this put up for a vote or move it on the dev board or something? Whats the process? Denisero has to integrate a yes/no poll?

DeletedUser1105

The moderators have to look over the idea and they decide if we have discussed it in enough depth for it to go to a vote. A new summary will be needed before they go to vote.

DeletedUser

My point was not that non duellers would not have any chance or want to join the tournaments, my point is that for a new player the clear choice is to become a dueller if this idea is used, as more money and fun can be had as a dueller. Don't get me wrong i like this idea im just saying could we not have different categories for the tournament such as duellers, soldiers, adventurers and builders all have their own tournaments to make it fairer as although some builders may be able to duel the majority can not so the tournament would not be much fun for them.

DeletedUser

I am not a builder/worker. If they want to come up with a plan for tournaments that rely on 'builder' skills then no one is stopping them. The intent is not to exclude anyone but to enhance the game. If workers want their own tournament to see who can build a windmill, cut down trees, or any number of other things then they should do so.

Although if you think about it, racing to get your town finished is sort of a tournament for builders isn't it, with the prize being all that extra xp they gain, access to better gear, and the ability to have all those other town members avenge/protect them.

Interesting note, on world 3 there is an adventurer in the top 10 of the dueling ranks. Adventurers can make outstanding fighters. Once again, its all how you spec.

Diggo11

Yeah I wouldn't hire accept a builder into my town if they just went and did contests 24/7. But for duellers the're more of a intimidation thing and don't need to be at work all the time. Either way for duellers revenge is the name of the game.

And on the adventurer thing if they assign their skill points to duelling the're just as good as duellers themselves. Duellers don't actually get any advantages that affect the outcome of the duel; soldiers receive a tactics bonus but that's all.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Anything to keep the duelers occupied, then when we get gameplay content we can ignore them completely...

Codeguru

DeletedUser

Or instead of dueling tournaments for adventurers and workers, there will be contests for how much wood you can get in one day, or how much construction points you can build in one loo, idk...

DeletedUser

Or instead of dueling tournaments for adventurers and workers, there will be contests for how much wood you can get in one day, or how much construction points you can build in one loo, idk...

What is it with loos today?? :huh:

DeletedUser

Those are different ideas and if someone has a general outline of how it could work they should start a new thread for it. This thread has to do with dueling only.

Status
Not open for further replies.