Dueling Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser363

There would be no point in half of the winnings to go to the players hometown if the town maxed out so I don't like that idea. Receiving money in the form of products (like silver for example, which is worth $100), or items is much more appealing to me.

DeletedUser

I don't know Ulthor. I really don't like the having to be online at the same time as my opponent. I think too many people will ***** about it. Unless you have to travel to the exact spot your opponent is at (or their hometown) there really is no need to be online at the same time. I think simpler is better. One match to determine winner. Winner based on most damage done or I suppose until a KO. Theoretically its possible to do more damage to a player than they do to you, but they get knocked out due to low health points.

Some people have a life (not saying I do) and won't want to be online at a specific time tied to their computer waiting for a tournament to end. This is mostly a click and leave game. We can do the tournaments the same way.

Now you may point out the errors in my thinking. :D

DeletedUser

I'm lazy so i couldn't be bothered reading back but on this idea (i don't know if anyone has suggested this) but my idea is that instead of having the dueling tournament or building you could just do it like this.

A dueling tournament is announced on the main page so which world and for how ever many hours/days and then the player to gain the most exp in this period is the winner. this means that different ranks are not discriminated against and every dueler has an equal chance. Furthermore the prize for these tournaments should be cash for say the top 5 with the winning player getting a "winners reward" as well as some cash which could be like a talisman which has no bonus but is just and an object to prove that you are skilled enough to win a dueling competition or the winners reward could have some stats bonuses because you have earned the reward due to your superior dueling skill.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I don't know Ulthor. I really don't like the having to be online at the same time as my opponent. I think too many people will ***** about it. Unless you have to travel to the exact spot your opponent is at (or their hometown) there really is no need to be online at the same time. I think simpler is better. One match to determine winner. Winner based on most damage done or I suppose until a KO. Theoretically its possible to do more damage to a player than they do to you, but they get knocked out due to low health points.

Some people have a life (not saying I do) and won't want to be online at a specific time tied to their computer waiting for a tournament to end. This is mostly a click and leave game. We can do the tournaments the same way.

Now you may point out the errors in my thinking. :D

I dont think he meant online to participate just to change duels stance, aim, and such i could be wrong though.

DeletedUser

as to the chance of changing what your character does. at least thats my understanding of it

DeletedUser

Whistlingleaf, I just had your 'quest' idea explained to me. I change my mind. It is a good idea. Just a little quest where all they have to do is hit Complete Quest in the saloon and the money is delivered to them when they are ready for it. I thought you wanted them to go do an actual quest like collect product or something. So I like that idea very much.

DeletedUser

There would be no point in half of the winnings to go to the players hometown if the town maxed out so I don't like that idea. Receiving money in the form of products (like silver for example, which is worth $100), or items is much more appealing to me.

The cash could be used later on, as the building cap won't always be there, right? Maybe a town could benefit from having extra score added if they've had a fighter win in a tourney, not every time ofc, just right now towns are ranked 1st in order of who can build the fastest, 2nd how many 0's they're prepared to lump infront of heir name, which as most people have realised doesn't say anything for how 'good' the town or its members are.

I'm lazy so i couldn't be bothered reading back but on this idea (i don't know if anyone has suggested this) but my idea is that instead of having the dueling tournament or building you could just do it like this.

That renders your post nothing more than spam. Try reading the ideas already suggested first or just hold out until a revised summary is posted.

If a person was to receive a quest when they win it'd be possible to accept the quest just prior to shopping or at least be able to bank and then donate the rest of the winnings to the town's treasury.

Nice Solution. Just a manual unlock of the winnings at a time of your choosing.

Or a Trophy could be given, equippable in the produce slot. So you can either equip it as bragging rights and keep it as a cheque, or sell it for cash. e.g. Gold, Silver and Bronze trophies with relative values for 1st 2nd and 2x 3rd placers in each tournament.

Any time before the tournament start time you may register and pay the fee. You are then in the competition. Now we have to get the number of players down to some factor of 2 That is to say 4,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512 in order for the tournament to start proper. So what should happen is that the first players get a 'bye' to the second round and those who register later have to play in the first round to get the numbers down to a factor of 2....phew. So let's say 40 people want to play We have to lose 8 to get to 32. Therefore the last 16 players to register go into the first round. The winning 8 then join the remaining 24 [who have not played yet] and the second round commences.

I think at least the majority of that would make a good setup. Perhaps just first-come-first-served though, if theres too many excess players its a sign there needs to be more tournaments :D

Players should start with max health and duel until knockout being able to change their set up any way they wish between duels. There should be a sixty second interval between duels to allow this to happen. If knockout has not happened by the start of the next round then the player with the most health left goes through. After 15 minutes the second round should start and so on a so forth.

I don't think total hp being a factor is fair. This puts for instance melee (or any Strength att. builds)fighters at a massive advantage, and Soldiers. Thats to adress, 'player with most health left goes through', perhaps total damage would be better? Number of hits landed would be imba as a win criteria too, same as hp, some people go for damage in their build rather than accuracy or tanking.

I don't think you meant that hp remaining carries over each duel, but I think that concept should be squashed permanently anyway. Like I say, total hp doesn't mean a whole lot in regards to deciding the best fighter, just the best tanker. This is coming from someone who has a character with upwards of 1500hp at lvl 35, so I'm unbiased ;)

@Diggo nice one for letting us know there aint any content worth translating on the German counterpart, but good job there aint as Google Translate is a little...meh. Try using it to have a conversation with someone in another tongue, works as a great ice-breaker as they'll laugh at you and ask 'ahahah did you try using Google Translate?' in English, thats about all its good for in my exp :p

DeletedUser

Revised Plan

I've picked the options that seemed to work best or gathered the most positive response so far. Now we just need to refine it down some more.

Rules:

1. Each contestant must belong to a town
  2. Any character class is free to enroll in the tournament.
  3. Each contestant must participate in each matchup they are assigned to or they forfeit.
Schedule:

• Each week a different leveled tournament offered
  • Multiple tournaments can be offered at same time, ie lvl 21-25 and lvl 41-45
  • Each tournament level will be repeated montlhy

Access to tournaments:

• A current building in town will list current tournaments where you can register and check the standings (Mockup available on page 2, post 14 of this thread)

• Entrance Fee based on sliding scale for tournament level
  • Player can not enter a tournament level lower than their current character level but may enter a higher tournament level
  • Limit participants on first come/first serve.
Contest:

• Tournament levels divided by character levels, not dueling levels
  • Once tournament begins you have 24 hours on current match to hit Challenge/Defend button or you forfeit
  • If your opponent chose to challenge/defend before you had the chance to then you are stuck with what is left over.
  • You do not have to be online nor awake during the actual duel
  • You do not have to travel to duel. Dueling is as easy as clicking a button signaling you are prepared to duel.

Winner:

• Winner is determined by who gives the most damage to their opponent

Damage:

• Doesn't affect 'real-game' health, position on map, stats. it's just a 'stand-alone' gambling tournament.

Prize:

• 1st place 50% of prize pool - Gold Trophy
  • 2nd place 30% of prize pool - Silver Trophy
  • 3rd place 20% of prize pool - Bronze Trophy
  • Trophy to be given to the winners as a sellable product for cash
Or:

• Prizes can be a set amount and not a percentage of the prize pool.

Questions remaining are:

1. Any more basic rules to be added
  2. Which building to use
  3. Fees for tournaments
  4. How many open spots for each contest
  5. How to divide up the levels for tournament purposes
  6. How should the winner's hometown benefit from the tournament.
  7. Should winning be divided up via prize pool or should there be a set amount for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.
My thoughts on those questions:

1. Can't think of any at the moment
  2. Doesn't really matter to me. Can let devs decide that one.
  3. Must be high enough for only serious players to enter but not ridiculously high. I'd rather let the devs decide than have 2 months of arguing over $50 one way or the other
  4. If we limit to 100 per tournament with 24 hours for each duel to take place then each tournament would last 7 days. I realize some of you may feel this is too small of a number. We could do 200 entrants and then tourny would last 8 days.
  5. I say each tournament broken down by 5 levels. When we reach higher levels, say above 50, we can go with a 10 level spread.
  6. I really would like to see the players hometown benefit from these tournaments. Not sure how to do it though. Lamorra's suggestion of giving the winners hometown extra points in the rankings seems like a good idea.
  7. Depending on the fees and number of entrants allowed in, a set prize amount could be the way to go. Instead of having one person win $40,000 (at the higher levels) the top prize would be $xxx.
Also, any 'byes' that need to be done in the tournament can either be determined at random by the system or possibly the player that has inflicted the total most damage gets the bye for that round.

I was also thinking that maybe the final 2 would have multiple fights until someone was KO'd. After each round they would have 10 minutes to change their stance, gear, etc in preparation for next round. Sort of seems appropriate the final 2 should battle to the death.

So lets see if we can iron the rest of this out in an orderly fashion. I would appreciate it if everyone could address the Questions section first. Then if you have a problem or suggestion regarding anything else I've listed you can address it. Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. This is shaping up nicely.

DeletedUser

Its a good idea for the most part, and i think it would be quite fun but...
it would just extremely enrich the top duelers of each level, for instance if there were 200 people who each payed 50 bucks, than the winner would get 5000 dollars, witch is excessive considering the only thing you stand to lose is your 50 buck entrance fee. At the moment im not really sure what could be done to change this or if anyone else feels the same way, but i do like this idea

DeletedUser

Well I don't think the fees will be as cheap as $50. More something like this (and these figures are not set in stone). Basing these figures on 200 contestants with a payout of 1st place 50%, 2nd place 30%, 3rd place 20%.

lvl 21-25 $100
prize pool is $20,000
First place winner gets $10,000
Second place gets $6,000
Third place gets $4,000

lvl 41-45 $300
prize pool is $60,000
First place $30,000
Seconds place $18,000
Third place $12,000

That is alot of money. Thats why I was suggesting the towns share in the profit.

Winners hometown can receive a % of the cash prize. Lets just say 25%. Then it would break down like this:

lvl 21-25 $100
prize pool is $20,000
First place winner gets $7,500 town gets $2,500
Second place gets $4,500 town gets $1,500
Third place gets $3,000 town gets $1,000

lvl 41-45 $300
prize pool is $60,000
First place $21,000 town gets $9,000
Seconds place $13,500 town gets $4,500
Third place $10.200 town gets $1,800

Top gear can cost that much to buy. So I don't think its really out of line. Thats with 200 contestants. Those figures would be halved if we only went with 100 contestants.

Another option is to just make the tournaments have a set prize. So 200 people can pay the entrance fee but prize pool is a set limit. Would be something like this.

Lvl 21-25 pay $100 to enter
First place pays $5,000
Second place pays $2,500
Third place pays $1,000

Lvl 41-45 pay $300 to enter
First place pays $10,000
Second place pays $5,000
Third place pays $2,500

The towns could still be compensated monetarily with winning towns getting a set amount instead of percentage of prize pool.

Again, these are just figures off the top of my head. I don't know what the final fees or prizes will be.

I will add this as a question in the revised plan on page 3, post #30.

DeletedUser

Firstly to clarify.
I did NOT intend that you had to be on-line for the duel to take place.
I did NOT intend that health damage carries over either into the next round OR realgame.

However I DO believe that each player should bring the health they bring to the tournament. It is a legitimate advantage that someone may have, the same a s a better weapon of higher aiming skills.

If you don't like the idea of some players sitting out the first round that is fine. So the alternative is that all winners go through along with enough best-scoring losers to make the next round a factor of 2 ie 32,64 etc.

What i am going to strongly disagree with is the idea that there should only be one duel to a round. The reason is that this absolutely negates and skill and judgement on the night. It is only when players repeat duel that true skill, sometimes in tactics, sometimes in intuition or character analysis has any bearing.
The thing is that a one-off

DeletedUser

I'm sorry if you were misunderstood Ulthor.

Health should absolutely be brought into the tournament. If we do one match duels then everyone would have max health based on their base hp and buffs for gear they are currently wearing. It should be possible to KO your opponent in one duel just as it is ingame. A KO would mean automatic win even if your opponent did more damage to you than you did to them.

Multi-round duels are not a bad idea. I just don't want anybody tied to their computer for the duel to take place. Maybe if you came up with a system where they wouldn't have to be we could work that out.

No losers would be advanced. There could be 'bye' rounds. Say if we had 100 contestants.
First round = 50 matches (100 players)
Second round = 25 matches (50 players)
Third round = 12 matches with one player sitting out on a 'bye' (25 players)
Fourth round = 6 matches with one player sitting out on a 'bye' (13 players)
Fifth round =2 matches (4 players)
Final round (2 players)

So on the 'bye' rounds a player would get a free pass to the next round. This player could be determined randomly by the system or based on total highest damage given or any other factor.

I do think the final two should duel until a KO is reached, no matter how many duels that may take. Health points do matter ingame when you are dueling so they should matter in the tournament.

DeletedUser

Denisero, i see what you are saying but. 7500 bucks or even 5000 bucks is a ton of money to be made with only the risk of losing a couple hundred, not even energy or the chance to be passed out. heck you can even work and gain back that money that you paid as an entrance fee while the tournament is taking place. oh and i think it would be a good idea to have multi rounded duels say best 2 out of 3, but restart with max health at the begining of each round. otherwise melee solders would own everyone else.

DeletedUser

I really don't think that is an outrageous sum of money when there is gear out there that costs over $6000, some over $9000. Lottery tickets are $1. You don't see the lottery saying $6,000,000 is too much for one person to win because they only invested $1 into the pot. The tourny is based on skill, not luck. The winners should be compensated accordingly.

DeletedUser

ya but the chances of winning the lottery has the chances of about 1 in 600 million not one in 200. plus this game should be fair, life usualy isn't

DeletedUser

Well what do you think would be fair as prizes then? Say a high level tournament takes place for players above level 50. What is their entrance fee and what would you have the top 3 prizes be? Or for a tournament for players in the lower 20s? I'm open to hear your ideas on the money situation.

DeletedUser

I think the prize should be those rare weapons[which you can't but from shops] instead of cash.There can be different weapon for different level[Huckleberry's Slingshot for lower level,Belle Starr's Deringer for higher etc.].And winner of each level will have two option to choose from[one shooting and one Melee weapon of similar damage and price]

Status
Not open for further replies.