Dueling Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I've been thinking about the possibility of having dueling tournaments for players. Here are some of my ideas. Can't wait to hear some of yours.

Summarized from all ideas/suggestions so far:

1. We want tournaments divided up in a way so that no player is in a match against someone ranked way above them to make the duel fair.
  2. We want the tournament to be system generated
  3. We want the tournaments to be regularly scheduled
  4. Tournaments should be easily accesible through an existing building.
  5. You do not have to be online to duel in the tournament.
  6. Entrance fees should be appropriate based on the tournament level
  7. Players should not be able to enter a much lower ranked tournament in order to keep duels fair.
  8. You do not have to travel to duel
  9. The tournament should not affect ingame health, stats or location
  10. Prize money should be given in the form of a sellable product. Could be retrieved via Quest or some other manner.
  11. Hometowns should benefit in some way if their player wins.
  12. The tournament should have basic rules such as these:

• Each contestant must belong to a town
  • Any character class is free to enroll in the tournament.
  • Each contestant must participate in each matchup they are assigned to or they forfeit.
So why not leave it at that and let the devs figure out the rest. It is their game and they can do some of the work. Plus will save us 40 pages of haggling back and forth about issues we will never agree on.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i like the idea, maybe there should be a certain building on every world where every one taking part in the tournament goes there?

DeletedUser363

I would love to have dueling tournaments, but wouldn't the higher level players always win the tournaments? Would be nice if there were tournaments for level groups, (ex. level 25-30, 31-35, etc.)

DeletedUser1105

I definately like the idea of duelling tournaments. I think a speficic place on the map (or various places) would be a good idea, but it may make it difficult if you are then splitting people into groups due to thier duelling level. Would have to ensure that enough people from each level category were interested.

DeletedUser

@Denisero & Shadow Dragon
great idea!! what about making dueler & soldier in 1 block cant sleep in a day.
the last man standing will be the winner.

DeletedUser

If a building in towns or on the map weren't workable, it could also be done like other dueling BB-games, i.e. those that don't have a map. Like OP says, could just be a plateau for the tournaments so competitors don't have to travel to the same physical place on the world.

Also eventually could have many optional features especially if each tourney was player created, you could have a drop down set-up e.g.

• Level cap >XX but <YY
  • Damage effects char.(win by KO possible) / Damage doesn't effect (only serves as indicator of win/loss but doesn't take from player char. health)
  • Public / Password/invite only
  • Prizes/Bounty
This stuff may seem a bit advanced now, but these could be developed over time, also, many games have had this kind of mechanic in place for years, but ask for much less money for premium ;)

Although I do like the thought of a building like an arena for this stuff, plus that could add more features that would allow non-dueling players to be involved in the Tournaments aspect, say if it was a town building or there was some kinf of participation through watching duels or rooting for your friends/town members or something. Either that or a seperate and equally sweet non-dueling players feature implemented around the same time.

Another benefit of this is that an arena platform could include the previously suggested NPC practice opponents, to counter the common complaint that fighters test their proficiency on non-fighting worker/adventurers early on.

DeletedUser

What you could do is have it so that the higher players are drawn first, therefore they will be more likely to run low on health as the tournament goes on. So kind of upside down mechanism like this might make it feasible.

DeletedUser

I was really hoping we could have a bracketed tournament like this:

home-tournament-32-thumb.jpg

That way everyone can check the standings. Instead of having a cage fight where everything goes. Each matchup to start with players having full health, etc.

DeletedUser

I'm still pretty new to the game so please correct me on anything if i get it wrong.

**First off you could do it 2 ways... Randomly bracket every player who signs up on the thread and just let everyone duel it out, regardless of level. Then you could crown the best dueler in each world without question.

** Or you could break it down into every ten levels or every 5 levels,
10-14, 15-19, 20-24 etc etc. or 10-19, 20-29, 30-39 etc etc. crown a winner from each category. obviously the highest level group's winner is the #1 of the world.

** You could have 1 tourney each week, for each level of competition.
First week of the month have 10-19, 2nd have 20-29, 3rd week have 30-39 and 4th week have 40+. 7 days should be enough i think.

**The way it makes sense to me is make a set time of each day that 1 round takes place. And the attacker needs to attack within like 6 hours or so within the designated server time, or he/she forfeits. ( IDK how to determine attacker/defender ) That gives every player 24 hours to rest, set up new inventory etc. for the next round. Also to make it easier to organize you could make a max amount of players joining the tourney.

** Every player joins one of 4 towns right smack dab in the middle of the world, made solely for the tournaments.......... ( THAT WAY THEY DONT NEED TO TRAVEL ALL OVER THE PLACE. THAT WOULD TAKE ALOT OF COORDINATION AND PREPERATION BUT IT WOULD MAKE IT WORK.) These towns should be developed enough to be able to have a decent amount of money deposited in teh bank, high enough hotel to gain HP back... high enough stores to buy things. high enough town hall to accomadate enough players in the tournament.

** I dont know if there is anyway to transfer money from one person to another, so maybe it would be required for every player to take exactly x amount of dollars to each round, so that if they lose, the winner automatically gets 10%. and all get the same amount and everything. It sets up the way to make it fair.

** If you do not take enough money and lose, then you get one strike against you on the dueling ban list, or if u miss one match u get 1 strike too... 3 strikes and u miss a tournament or two.

Those are my brainstorm ideas. Critizise as much as you want or whatever.

I really think that it would take a few very dedicated non partial players on each world to get it going good. but i bet they are there.

Thanks for reading,
Modern

Diggo11

Yeah I like your idea.

Perhaps they should be an official monthly thing across the entire world as you said until it reaches the final two. Anyway rather than one set place I'd like to see home/away duels. Whoever won the previous duel by the greatest margin gets to choose from a home or away duel, and (assuming they chose home) the other has to travel to their town.

And for the rewards. 50% to winner, 30% to second and 20% to third. But you can't give away nuggets - otherwise workers would feel ripped off they don't have a similar system, which is fair enough. Workers would also benefit from cash prizes though as the duellers would be duelling other duellers, not the workers.

Anyway love the idea, it could do with slight refinements to get to the polls though.

DeletedUser

Spartan, having every player join a town in the middle of the map wouldn't work. There are penalties for leaving a town and then trying to rejoin another. Everytime you leave a town you have to wait longer and longer to rejoin another.

Randomly bracketing people regardless of level wouldn't work. You have to pair up players based on levels or it just isn't fair.

I think this system would work better if it were built into the game rather than a player run operation. Less chance for abuse and cheating that way.

One tourny each week per player level is a good idea. That could be expanded upon. You do have some good ideas though.

Diggo, you are right about the nuggets. Was just a thought. I also like the idea of winner choosing whether to be challenger or defender. We'd have to figure out how the initial matchup gets configured tho. Maybe lower leveled player gets to choose? Or maybe the game would randomly assign challenger/defender. Or could be based on a number of other things.

Edit - Now that I've thought about it...after the initial matchup everyone will be a winner moving onto the next round. LOL. So maybe whomever dealt the most damage in the previous matchup gets to pick if they defend or challenge on the next matchup? Ugggh, its late. Don't make me think.

Oh, one more thought. Some basic rules (some should seem pretty obvious) would have to be in place.
1. Each contestant must belong to a town
2. Any character class is free to enroll in the tournament.
3. Each contestant must participate in each matchup they are assigned to or they forfeit.

Also, maybe see sliding scale for entrance fees based on player level. Level 20 duelers pay less than level 40 duelers. Maybe limit the minimum level to enter to level 20. So many ideas and so many ways to go with this stuff.

DeletedUser

What if we use an existing building to access tournaments. Maybe the Town Hall or Post Office. You can click on the building and a button for Tournaments can be there. Click on Tournaments and it lists all current tournaments available, possibly in a drop down box, listed by player levels. You can choose the tournament you want to enter. You can not enter a tournament for a player level lower than yours but you can enter one higher than yours. This way if you are on the brink of leveling up you can enter the tourny appropriate for your new level. You pay the entrance fee at that time.

There could be a registration period of say 48 or 72 hours before the tournament begins. After registration you will have to go back to the Post Office to find your first matchup with a scheduled start time. You have 24 hours to participate in that duel from the start time.

There could be a button you can press, lets call it "Challenge". Both parties must hit the challenge button within that time frame. If one player doesn't then they forfeit the match. If both players don't then that matchup is skipped and both players are out. Their entrance fee is forfeited as well. When both players have hit challenge then the duel starts. Players can get a regular duel report when the outcome of the match is determined. The only drawback is you need to keep your dueling gear on until you get that report as the match can take place at any time in 24 hours. Damage would not have to be literally taken on your ingame character. Damage would just be used to determine winner. The duel can even take place while your character is sleeping.

A twist on this would be for there to be a 'challenge' and a 'defend' button. So first one to the Post Office gets to choose whether to defend or challenge. The other player is stuck with what is left. Or the system could randomly choose who is challenging/defending.

If you win then the cycle starts all over again for your next matchup minus registration.

This sort of takes care of traveling to duel and having both players be online and awake at the same time. You would also be able to duel people in your same town. This would eliminate the problem of what would happen if the final 2 belonged to the same town or if more than one person in same town entered the tournament.

Here is a mockup of how it could look:

Choose your tournament:

choosetournamentjbr0.jpg

Matchup Screen:

matchupsjyx3.jpg

Diggo11

Cool mock ups.

But why the Post Office? I think the Saloon in your own town would be better (underneath "Quest Book").

And your entry fees are very high! Perhaps $100 for level 20-25, $200 for 26-30, $300 for 31-35 and $400 for 36-40?

Also what happens when someone wins the tournament? There would be thousands of duels against the winner until hes knocked out and losses all his prize money. Say 100 level 20-25 enter the contest. Using my prices this gives $10,000 worth of prize money. If 50% goes to the winner ($5000) and his bank only holds $1500 then he could lose 70% of it :eek:hmy:

Also I saw a "Duel Tornament" idea on the German server, so if this doesn't make it theres still hope :)

DeletedUser

Denisero you have some great ideas here !

To avoid the money in bank problem perhaps the winner would receive a quest to pick up their winnings, so they could pick up the money when it was safe for them.

I think it would have to be 10 level windows with the top tier 20 levels. Or something like players ranked 1-500 and 501-1000 and etc ... otherwise the top 15 players won't have anyone to duel with so many of those players not in towns and so few people actually in the top 10 levels.

On W-1 The top guy is L 61 and I'm L 51 and I'm ranked #27 ...

DeletedUser

But why the Post Office? I think the Saloon in your own town would be better (underneath "Quest Book").

And your entry fees are very high! Perhaps $100 for level 20-25, $200 for 26-30, $300 for 31-35 and $400 for 36-40?

Also what happens when someone wins the tournament? There would be thousands of duels against the winner until hes knocked out and losses all his prize money. Say 100 level 20-25 enter the contest. Using my prices this gives $10,000 worth of prize money. If 50% goes to the winner ($5000) and his bank only holds $1500 then he could lose 70% of it :eek:hmy:

Also I saw a "Duel Tornament" idea on the German server, so if this doesn't make it theres still hope :)
It doesn't really matter what building is used. I just used Post Office for the mockup. I think the fees should be high enough so that not everyone just jumps in and says 'what the heck, i'll give it a try'. Higher fees could mean only serious contestants will enter. But again, I am not set on a certain entrance fee either. My reasoning behind those fees was $10 per character level based on highest level in that tournament range. Fees can be determined by the devs for all I care.

Excellent point on the cash winnings. Couple of things could be done.

• The winner gets his money and its their problem on how to protect it. (Not the best option).
  • Half the winnings could go to the players hometown. This will encourage towns to promote the tournaments. Also, might cut down on builders and other classes that may not be able to participate in the tourny from whining because the entire town benefits from a win.
  • Instead of winner taking 50% cash prize they can receive a lump sum of cash and an armor set. There could be 2 or 3 armor sets they can choose from. One geared towards offensive dueling, one for defensive dueling, and one for jobs, etc. or whatever.
  • Prize money could be rewarded entirely as gear equivalent to the cash value of the prize pool. Their winnings would then be protected and they can either use the gear or sell it for cash in order to buy other gear.
  • Or other options I haven't thought of.
If anybody can read German would be cool to see what sorts of ideas they have on their server.

Denisero you have some great ideas here !

To avoid the money in bank problem perhaps the winner would receive a quest to pick up their winnings, so they could pick up the money when it was safe for them.

I think it would have to be 10 level windows with the top tier 20 levels. Or something like players ranked 1-500 and 501-1000 and etc ... otherwise the top 15 players won't have anyone to duel with so many of those players not in towns and so few people actually in the top 10 levels.

On W-1 The top guy is L 61 and I'm L 51 and I'm ranked #27 ...

I don't think making them win a tourny and then having to complete a quest is really feasible as you've stated. Maybe if you expand on that idea. I just don't see how it still solves the issue of getting more money than they can hold.

Good point on the character levels. I just don't know how good of a chance a level 20 would have against a level 30 player. I think 10 levels may be too much. Unless a handicap system was built into the system for tournaments. Of course, the prospect of being able to win thousands of dollars in a tournament might encourage some of those top leveled characters to join a town.

DeletedUser1105

Excellent ideas Denisero.

I think the money has to be a cash prize to the winner. If your bank can't hold the winnings, then that's your problem I think. You better spend it quick!

Anyway, if you have just won the duelling tournament, I'd expect you'd be well equipped to deal with any birds of prey that come scavaging anyway.

DeletedUser

If a person was to receive a quest when they win it'd be possible to accept the quest just prior to shopping or at least be able to bank and then donate the rest of the winnings to the town's treasury.

DeletedUser

Half the winnings could go to the players hometown. This will encourage towns to promote the tournaments. Also, might cut down on builders and other classes that may not be able to participate in the tourny from whining because the entire town benefits from a win.

This would be my favoured option. It's like putting a champion forward in a joust. It also allows duellers to give something back to the town.

WL's idea for a quest 'Collect your winnings' seems like an excellent idea because then you can decide how and where you want to spend the money.

I also like the once a week sign up option and having it in classes rather like in boxing. personally I'd do it per ten duelling levels because then it is like moving up a weight category and you will find it tough at first.

This is how I would see it working;

Any time before the tournament start time you may register and pay the fee. You are then in the competition. Now we have to get the number of players down to some factor of 2 That is to say 4,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512 in order for the tournament to start proper. So what should happen is that the first players get a 'bye' to the second round and those who register later have to play in the first round to get the numbers down to a factor of 2....phew. So let's say 40 people want to play We have to lose 8 to get to 32. Therefore the last 16 players to register go into the first round. The winning 8 then join the remaining 24 [who have not played yet] and the second round commences.

Players should start with max health and duel until knockout being able to change their set up any way they wish between duels. There should be a sixty second interval between duels to allow this to happen. If knockout has not happened by the start of the next round then the player with the most health left goes through. After 15 minutes the second round should start and so on a so forth.

The more contestants [and others]can see of the action the better. This should take place at 9pm server time friday evening.
So if there are 2-3 entrant the whole business takes 15 mins
4-7=30mins
8-15=45mins
16-31=1 hour
32-63=1 hour 15 mins
64-127=1hour 30 mins
128-255=1 hour 45 mins
256-511 2 hours

I don't think there would be more than that.

If you aren't online it's your tough luck

This doesn't affect 'real-game' health, position on map, stats. it's just a 'stand-alone' gambling tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.