Dueling Option: Challenge or Ambush

Do you like the idea of two attack options for dueling?

• No. My reasons are my own

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • No. I hate change, and I hate consequences.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yes. It allows good guys to be good and bad guys to be bad

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Yes!!!

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Well... I... hmmm.... read my post below

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser13020

I actually like this idea. Why did it die? I don't feel like reading 11 pages to find out. It could also be combined with the move duels out of towns concept, with ambushes occurring on the job and duels occurring in town.

I don't feel like reading 11 pages either. I just read the first post and I don't like it.

If we all had to agree to a duel, then dueling will go way down. Nobody will make money off of dueling because people can reject a duel when they have a lot of money on them. One stupid little "pip" to someones declined stats is not worth the hours spent in getting money, or they can wait till after they deposit the money and then accept the duel. You also have to wait till the other person accepts, that may be hours or days depending on the person. People duel because it can provide more xp and cash than any job (in ten minutes). If this system is implimented then you pretty much knock out 2 things that dueling is good for, the money and the quick xp.

I don't like ambush because then we would have to worry about our hiding and tactics being high enough to sneak around and such. Two skills that some already ignore because, hiding does nothing for dueling. And tactics is ignored because some wanna be more aggressive by putting points into appearance or something else even. Then if and when we do fail to sneak by the sheriff wehave to choose either sit in a time out box for hours and leave with 0 energy. Or, get into battle with all the town defenders and risk a KO and loose a skill point in appearance (Im assuming that its just a penalty for me the next time I go to that town and not actually loosing a skill point).

You risk so much in an ambush, but what do you get in return? you can duel someone without them having to accept. Wait a minute....I can do that now, and I don't have to risk a KO before the duel even starts.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

There is an option available already if you want to opt out of duels. Do not belong to a town.

DeletedUser

There is an option available already if you want to opt out of duels. Do not belong to a town.

It is very interesting when someone with the title of "deputy sheriff" says that... If I don't like to be shot in the back and still like to belong to a town, should I just quit the game? Come on, deputy sheriff, tell me to quit the game!

DeletedUser

Lol. You want options to decline duels. The devs put an option into the game for those that hate dueling so much they don't ever want to be dueled.

Dueling is a job, just like construction or trapping. Players specialize in dueling just as in those other jobs. When workers are denied the ability to construct in their town based on the whim of an opposing town then maybe we can talk about a decline option for duels. Until then you can complain all you want but there will never be such a feature.

DeletedUser

the purpose of builders is to build (hence the name). without builders, there would be a limited number of towns or built towns. without adventurers, there would be no funding for such towns. "such towns" are the ones that duelers and soldiers reside in...giving little or no money to the town treasury to build. their main goal is to just fight.
how can gaining 13 experience for a level 62 dueler be equal to any job that they can do? there is hardly any money and very little experience. i would prefer to do something else...like selling guns to indians or evangelizing or w/e else you can do. the whole and sole purpose of a duel is to "piss" people off....plain and simple.
what i am trying to explain at the moment (for those thick in the skull and the concept does not seep through) is that towns are for builders.
you want to duel? then there should be other options..not just towns. not towns at all actually

DeletedUser

lol Jessie Somers is back! Some people will love it, some people have no clue what they are dealing with.
I know I'm done with this forum and will never come back. You deal with her, have fun! ;)

DeletedUser

the purpose of builders is to build (hence the name). without builders, there would be a limited number of towns or built towns. without adventurers, there would be no funding for such towns. "such towns" are the ones that duelers and soldiers reside in...giving little or no money to the town treasury to build. their main goal is to just fight.
how can gaining 13 experience for a level 62 dueler be equal to any job that they can do? there is hardly any money and very little experience. i would prefer to do something else...like selling guns to indians or evangelizing or w/e else you can do. the whole and sole purpose of a duel is to "piss" people off....plain and simple.
what i am trying to explain at the moment (for those thick in the skull and the concept does not seep through) is that towns are for builders.
you want to duel? then there should be other options..not just towns. not towns at all actually!
was that clear enough or would you like me to explain further?

p.s. : to admins...this is same IP...different accounts and different person. i am jessie somers i play in worlds 1, 3, 4, and now 5. pero djetlic (my boyfriend) plays in worlds 2, 7, and 9.
No, the purpose of dueling is not to piss people off. It is another way of playing the game. The game is called The West. It is set in the American old west. To most people this would give a hint that dueling would be involved. The west was unruly and there were bandits and duelers and gunslingers, lawmen and trained soldiers. It is more realistic that arguments were settled with a gun rather than signing a NAP. In any town I have belonged to the duelers and soldiers have contributed nicely to the town.

Now that all that is said and done, thank you for calling anyone that doesn't understand dueling thick in the head. No need to be rude.

It is very simple, if you don't want to be dueled then you don't belong to a town. If you choose to be a worker class then recruit duelers to help protect your town. If you look at the big picture here instead of your own personal selfish desires you will see that you are trying to take away how 1/2 the people in this game play. There are many things you can do to make yourself less of a target of a dueler if you choose to be in a town. They have been discussed over and over again on this forum.

This idea has been around for 9 months and hasn't been moved to Development Discussions because it is a bad idea.

DeletedUser

I think the responses of "pro duelers" bother me more than dueling itself does. I seldom have money to lose in duels, and don't remember ever being knocked out in a duel so it's not a great loss to me if someone challanges me. On the other hand, I lost most interest in playing because it gets old quickly to be challanged almost every time you actually do a job and earn a little money. I know of several people who just watch higher paying jobs and automatically duel anyone who works there.

People keep saying that if you want to concentrate on building only (not interested in the dueling aspects of the game), you should just not belong to a town, which means you can't build either. The same people who say that you should take points from areas that help your main interests and put them into dueling related skills also say that it would be unfair to expect duelers to take points from their dueling skills and put them into other areas if they want to attack someone who doesn't care for dueling.

I never expect anything like this to be implemented because there are a lot more players of non-violent characters who will play in spite of being forced into a role they don't want than there are players of violent characters who will play in spite of there being a possibility of others not being forced to play their way. I know many people have quit because of constant duels, but I think a greater number of duelers would quit if people were given a choice to not particpate in the slaughters.

DeletedUser

http://forum.the-west.net/member.php?u=5173denisero: do you know that in the old american west, it was illegal to shoot a man in the back? do you know that any "duel" was to be scheduled at both parties request?
have you ever read american history? or watched old westerns such as "high noon"?
what do you think billy the kid was accused of? or the gunfight at the ok corral was about?

" It is very simple, if you don't want to be dueled then you don't belong to a town.
so duelers build towns and builders do what? am i in some kind of bizarro world? duelers are fine...soldiers are fine (i am a soldier in world 1). however, duels should be equal...that is the point of the conversation.
do not wait until someone is building windmills to duel..that is not only a "low blow" but for the benefit to "just piss people off" like i said.
dueling should be scheduled..like fort battles.
you want to attack to see who is best at it when fully equipped? then make it a fair fight!

that is all i am saying at the moment:)

artemis gordon: thank you! i appreciate a positive response. i do not speak in the forum a lot...not at all actually, but have been dwelling on this for a long time.

DeletedUser

Did you know this is a game? I don't go onto Sim City and demand I be able to bomb towns. Maybe this is not the game for you if it bothers you that much. There is much more to The West than dueling. My main character is a builder. I've also played adventurers and a soldier. Dueling is a part of the game.

You want to change a fundamental part of the game. It won't even be the same game anymore. Do you really think this idea is going to happen? Reality check...it won't. So you may want to think of other ways to protect yourself. Like having good duelers in your town, not carrying lots of cash around, arming yourself with the best weapon you can afford and switch into defensive dueling gear after queuing up a job, just like everybody else does. Or you can continue to insult players on the forum and accomplish nothing. Although now I see why you may get dueled so often.

DeletedUser

I agree w/ denise , you should not be able to decline a duel, take that part out and I like the idea.

DeletedUser

I completely agree with Deniseros post. I also get to call her a West Fundie :D

Anyways, the idea is utterly Bogus and very appauling. Dueling with concequences that are programmed into the game? Not my cup of tea, I'd much rather have a posse come chase me down, beat me down and leave me on the ground. And removing appearance? Screw that, is there a Hell No option anywhere??? Poll closed so what, I wanna vote Hell No!

DeletedUser

So besides being able to refuse duels, what you guys are asking is for duels to be taken out of the job queue?? Because it would pretty much kill dueling if your character stood around doing nothing while waiting for the victim to accept/refuse

Hey, it's not even IN the job queue for the person getting duelled. Which might be the answer to making this work:

----

CHALLENGE DUEL

1) Player 1 Challenges Player 2. Challenge Note is sent to Player 2.

2) Player 2 accepts challenge. At this time, the duel is added to the job queue of both players. Neither player can cancel the duel.

3) The job comes up in the queue of each player and both players must travel to the defenders town, if they aren't there already (it's quite likely the defender isn't).

4) Once both players are in town, both players are sent a "the duel is about to begin" notice. This is the last oppertunity for either player to prepare for the duel (including the defender switching to dueling clothes if he hasn't already). Also in the notice is a button marked "Ready to duel", which a player can press when... well, ready.

5) Once both players have pressed "ready to duel" or once 10 minutes has passed (whichever comes first), the duel is performed.

----

How's that sound? I realise it doesn't cover declining, but the post is long enough as is.

DeletedUser

They wont do this even if we wanted it. Its useless. Leave it as is and move on to actually good ideas...

DeletedUser

I do believe that some form of this original idea can work.
Where the challenge will allow the defender to kit up for the duel (but not decline the duel), and the ambush will attack the defender as is. The latter could have a slightly decreased xp/gold gain.

If this is implemented with the idea of attack where the defender is on the map and not just in his/her home town, it could work that challenges are only in town and ambush is wherever the defender is.

Various problems could creep in like time to acceptance of the duel (where is the challenger by that time?) etc.

But the idea (if implemented properly) could just enhance the game.

DeletedUser

Duels were illegal*, period. Face to face, or in the back, a duel was considered illegal in almost every State of the Union. The only people who would not get arrested were the local authorities or the ones feared by the local authorities. But, really, this game isn't about legal or illegal, it is about having fun. Turn a fun game into something complicated, and you undermine the reason people play it in the first place. K.I.S.S. has always been a good motto, and it's a good one on this subject.

* to add clarification: dueling was illegal either due to laws pertaining specifically to the act of dueling, or being subject to laws pertaining to assault and/or murder. In other words, even if a particular State did not have a law against dueling, you could still be arrested for assault, manslaughter, or 1st degree murder. And don't forget, when you win a duel you also take a portion of their cash, which means you're robbing them. And last, there were civil laws back then as well, so you could be sued by the person injured, or by relatives of the deceased. So, if you truly want the complexity, and realism, of the Old West, you're going to have to be honest as to how it should be implemented (which is to say, not fun).

DeletedUser16628

Cassius335 you bring up a valid point but would require much work and compromise the integrity of the game in my opinion.Schofield and Sundance,Kingslinger and Hellstromm all agree with Denisero for the most part.If you want to spend time in the forum insulting players and accomplish nothing except increase the reason's why you get dueled so much well your punishment is your own.Hellstromm great background on laws @ the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.