Dueling Option: Challenge or Ambush

Do you like the idea of two attack options for dueling?

• No. My reasons are my own

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • No. I hate change, and I hate consequences.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yes. It allows good guys to be good and bad guys to be bad

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Yes!!!

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Well... I... hmmm.... read my post below

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

ulthor lets go start our own thread so we can actually discuss the issue and not the flobberbollbLs that get in the way. you can come too monkey

DeletedUser1105

I don't want to go to a thread with you kieghlon. My mum says not to go with strangers....

DeletedUser

thomas, has you ever heard of the logical fallacies? your riddled with them. you answer your own arguements with examples from your own arguements. you build positions on assumed truths that have no backing except your arbitrary agreement with them. when you learn how to form a logical, well thought out discussion based on facts and unbiased observations i will begin to listen to your opinions, but this entire post pretty much sums up what is wrong with discussion forums in the first place.

If you really want to only fight "honorably", send a telegram to the other player asking for a duel or telling them you're challenging them to avenge a fellow town member. There's really no need to change the game mechanics for it.

It was an interesting idea, although not explained in an elegant way. But then Thomas have let his emotions to own him. Typical talented loser...

...some might say. Or all we have here is emotional versus rational intelligence war perhaps. Ratio is winning in this world, but to me it is just boring snag making me yawn all the time it tries to impress me. Except the 1st quoted text - a logic so brilliant that I caught myself to be fascinated.

sigh

DeletedUser2708

Post Modernism

ok thomas. please explain your use of the word pomo?

I believe that he is using it as shorthand slang for "post modern" thinking.

I think you make a lot of good points, Thomas, but we need to stick to how it relates to the game, and not go off onto larger discussions about real life. Besides, the internet is a very, very bad place to try and discuss such a serious topic. Too much potential for mis-communication, too many trolls, etc. :indian:

DeletedUser

Pomo is a tribe of native americans as well. they are world reknowned basketweavers. "pomo shoelaces" is actually a term i know. maybe he just doesnt know that it has other meanings. i was just curious.

DeletedUser1105

To be honest (and to get back to the original idea), I don't see a problem with having two options.

The guys and gals that want to continue duelling as they do can do so with the ambush option, and those that prefer to play with 'honour' or whatever can do so with the challenge option.

You would get the same points/money as you do now for ambushing, so that it does not disadvantage anyone, but you would get a little bit more for winning a challenge duel.

DeletedUser

I like but....

For duelers, this really blows. Dueling will become alot harder as you constantly have a stat debonus and a high chance of a jail/ running gunfight. Even when you challenge, if your a dueler, the opponent probably won't accept.

You got this idea of "Duels" (the game), right?

DeletedUser

thomas, has you ever heard of the logical fallacies? your riddled with them.

Yes. I've heard of the one where you accuse me of a fallacy, assuming that the mere accusation makes it so.

Feel free to be specific.

I realize we're starting from different positions...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If you really want to only fight "honorably", send a telegram to the other player

Some of us already do this.

That is not his point artemis. He also wants the ability for weaker groups to gang together to defeat a stronger dueller. Whilst they can all go and duel him around the same time, one by one they would probably lose.

Thank you sdjx22 for paying attention.

I like the concept of putting a bounty on someones head . I fail to see the long term benefit . Gunslingers track him down , knock him out , two days latter he's back at Your town causing grief .

Our current issue is not a lot of gunslingers waiting around for a good reason to go attack people.

Oakley's previous post about Chess pieces was also good. In chess both players know every piece is fair game. Every piece is a declared combatant. There are no non-combatants.

In this game. Everyone has one piece. And (gasp, i know) sot everyone showed up just to provide us with moving targets.

DeletedUser

Pomo = postmodern

ok thomas. please explain your use of the word pomo?

As in "there is no reality, there is only perception" if you don't think you can know anything for sure.. and you also insist that no one else can know anything for sure then you think you're very sophisticated and nuanced but you're actually a sadly predictable brainchild of English professors desperately trying to keep themselves employed by publishing books. You'll resent being labeled, but the label is "postmodern," known in our "lol" world by its abbreviated nickname "pomo"

What does this have to do with The WEST.

If you insist there are no moral absolutes - that no actions are "wrong" and you are absolutely certain that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. Then you are a postmodernist. Not a great one, but a typical one.

If you insist that actions "in a game" must be seen as morally neutral or above morality, then you've granted yourself the amazing power to parse your life into separate little compartments where one thing cannot touch another because in your Opinion you want it that way, then you're postmodern.

Pomo's have no problem saying, "I don't see myself as the kind of person that would randomly attack those weaker than me IN REAL LIFE, I just find it entertaining here in NOT REAL LIFE.

DeletedUser

I don't recall discussing chess . I fear You're falsely crediting Me for someone else's analogy .

DeletedUser1105

Thomas, I have to disagree with you slightly there.

Doing 'wrong' or 'evil' actions in a game does make you a wrong or evil person.

I play Grand Theft Auto. On that game, I steal cars and money, I punch and shoot people in the face (often for no other reason than I am bored), and generally do a lot of 'wrong' things.

In real life, I do none of these things. I work (kind of ;)) monday to friday and I am a loving and devoted father.

I see no harm in me getting enjoyment out of that game. It does not influence my actions in real life in anyway.

DeletedUser

I read "strategy" and thought "chess"

I don't recall discussing chess. I fear You're falsely crediting Me for someone else's analogy.

I was recalling your strategy game vs RP comment on the other thread.

The heart of the matter , as I see it , is the degree that players see this as a Role Playing game. There are a few who see it as nothing but a RPG , there are many who see it as a strategy game ...

and in chess, and most other strategy games all the pieces are combatants

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Oh now you've done it!
If Nietzsche[thank goodness for spell check] can be blamed for pol pot then the credit crunch and knife crime is certainly your fault. You cheeky monkey! It's like were all having to apologise for enjoying a game because it makes us [in a way we cannot understand] responsible for all the evil in the world.
Brace yourselves for a big cut and paste session folks it's gonna be a tough one!
By the way tomas that isn't what post-modernism is. Oh goodness here it comes, it's gonna be a BIG one. A level 9 philosophy lecture is predicted to hit the coast imminently.
Take cover!!!!!

DeletedUser

We've disagreed slightly about several things ;)

Doing 'wrong' or 'evil' actions in a game does make you a wrong or evil person.

Can the actions themselves be called good and evil?

Can I ask for the option of choosing good actions without being told there is no difference?

I steal cars and money, I punch and shoot people in the face (often for no other reason than I am bored), and generally do a lot of 'wrong' things... and I am a loving and devoted father. I see no harm... It does not influence my actions in real life in anyway.

Do your kids watch their loving dad steal punch and shoot people in the face for the entertainment value?

If no... Why not?

If yes... Do you think it is possible that this may actually count as affecting real life in some way?

DeletedUser

If Nietzsche[thank goodness for spell check]

You spelled it correctly the first time when you said how much fun he was.

It's like were all having to apologise for enjoying a game because it makes us responsible for all the evil in the world.

Is there evil in the world? Well I'm sure no one is responsible.

It does not matter anyway. I'm almost level 21, just one more fat merchant and i get to pick a skill point. Let's play!

DeletedUser1105

Can the actions themselves be called good and evil?
Yes they can. I'm not debating that. I debating the fact that they don't have an affect on my life.

Can I ask for the option of choosing good actions without being told there is no difference?
Yeah, why not?

Do your kids watch their loving dad steal punch and shoot people in the face for the entertainment value?
If no... Why not?
If yes... Do you think it is possible that this may actually count as affecting real life in some way?

She doesn't, because she is 7 month old and is more interested in seeing how many toys she can chew in one sitting ;)

I see the point you are trying to make, but I only play on the playstation when she is asleep, as when she is awake I'm generally spending time with her.

DeletedUser

I think this whole idea of yours is a joke thomas. The game has lvl 15 gunsmith for a reason, everyone has the OPTION to duel for a reason. A dueler who specifies for dueling cannot go out and work the same jobs as a worker or adventurer its silly to think they would anyway. If a posse can save a town (in your scenerio a good posse) why couldnt an evil posse come and destory that town... your thoughts lack a major function "anything you can do i can do better" sorta thought its motivation. if u were to have these posse's implemented then i would like to see the ability to band together with townmembers and seek to destroy this posse and if this good posse loses say they lose 1 off their highest skill? does that then sound fair as they were beaten down and knocked senseless they forgot their most recently learned skill?

DeletedUser

Okay

Is there a way to debate like gentlemen without ad hominem attacks on the person rather than constructive discussion of the idea? During my time on the sideline I have seen meritorious ideas presented on both sides of this issue, with the result that the game will likely be improved for the expression of same.
I believe that all ideas presented in this forum are presented in a serious frame of mind, with the goal of advancing this pastime that we all enjoy.
My request is that we employ a more gentlemanly demeanor in our discussions. All ideas have merit in one form or another. Rather like a raw diamond. Sometimes polishing and cutting is required to uncover the Star of India. But the uncut stone must not be discarded simply because it doesnt fit a preconceived idea of what a diamond should be.

DeletedUser

if that was aimed toward me i dont see me not being anything but blunt and forward and confronting all the arguments i have read and simply argue back i didnt sling any names around to point out that his idea would present an unfair advantage to "call upon town members" to fight 6v1 in one fight rather than say 6v6 in one fight or 1v1 in 6 fights that is simply the argument at hand that i find mind boggling simple that no one seems to see, well not one but the fact people can choose to duel at any stage in the game. I have a builder who can defend himself quite nicely and even seek retribution and is still a great builder just has to put on the right gear i dont think the mechanics of dueling needs to be changed in the least they are fine the way they are with out making things unfair. It is balanced enough people get knocked out and cant be dueled for 48 hours as well as cant be dueled after 1 hour but to say that 50 people can gang up on 1 person if they are caught trying to ambush is simply absurd.

As i see it ambushing already happens and it is just fine. If people want to be honorable they can choose to do so by only dueling duelers and even by mailing i dont think it needs to be changed beyond what people are already capable of doin

Status
Not open for further replies.