Dueling Option: Challenge or Ambush

Do you like the idea of two attack options for dueling?

• No. My reasons are my own

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • No. I hate change, and I hate consequences.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yes. It allows good guys to be good and bad guys to be bad

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Yes!!!

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Well... I... hmmm.... read my post below

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I didnt "aim" anything at anyone...I simply made a request. The tone of your response, however, speaks volumes. You give the sense of being extremely frustrated with contrasting viewpoints, if so, fine. If someone doesnt see your point, even after a clarification, let it go. Theres always another thread to join in on.

DeletedUser

If Prudhomme was addressing You or not , Your second statement was far more civil and concise than Your first . You're quite right the "Ambush" is the default setting in the game . Telegrams do offer a way to "call out" some one .
The only way I see to make a posse fair would be to balance levels . That is to say two tenth levels could combine to challenge a eighteenth level . I just don't see the need for it . I would like to see someway for noncombatants to be shielded .

DeletedUser

oakley. go read my poll about an end to the duel arguement. it offers that way.

DeletedUser

If Prudhomme was addressing You or not , Your second statement was far more civil and concise than Your first . You're quite right the "Ambush" is the default setting in the game . Telegrams do offer a way to "call out" some one .
The only way I see to make a posse fair would be to balance levels . That is to say two tenth levels could combine to challenge a eighteenth level . I just don't see the need for it . I would like to see someway for noncombatants to be shielded .

no i disagree if 2 are to form they will challenge 2 that is simple as that you cannot form together to do otherwise that is my entire point. You cannot have the entire town at your disposal in a duel just simply because u hate being dueled.

This is why we are able to go and avenger our fallen by spilling the blood of our trespassers!

This is not a game of the christian faith or even righteous but simply those who wish to avenge their brethren. If your town is strong enought they will knock out and thust protect their builders from any such affliction.

It is that simple.. I see no reason for game mechanics to be changed they are just fine as they are.

Duels will happen but never should it be an entire town "chasing off the bandit trying to ambush but happens to be seen" cuz that would be more than down right unfair and then you go as far as to add the -1 to appearance !!!! COME ON i dont think so not unless your willing to lose your best skills if they do succeed!

If any plan is to be made i want to hear a FAIR one voiced and yes i may be calling out thomas here because his "plan" is a bit extreme in the favor of the non-violents because well c'mon what do they have to lose other than some hit points seriously!

This isnt tribal wars you dont lose your character because you lose the battle get over it, move on. Be done with this conversation just because you get attacked doesnt mean anything.

There are dishonorable people out ther who avoild duelers and only attack builders. that is kinda the idea. Get duelers to help ko them every chance they get thus "protecting" your builders no you cannot essentially take the bullet for them but you can aveng them and continue to as i have done in towns and currenlty do!

There is absolutely and i mean ABSOLUTELY no reason this "plan" should ever be in effect . it does not preach equality but rather preaches favoring those who do not wish to duel might as well re inact the greenhorn for them all!

DeletedUser

and thomas, your arguements are full of logical fallacies because you are taking the arguement that you created in your own post about being no good or evil and projecting that thought process on our discussion as though it were truth. furthermore you are anthropomorphizing(or some such big word) our game play styles into a greater sense of morality, again, sigh, based on your own perceptions of truth. not factual truth, but opinionated truths. and your description of postmodernism is wrong. post modernism doesnt equal nihilism, which is a much more accurate term for what you describe, and seek to label us with simply because *cough cough hypocritical cough cough* we dont agree with you. go get em, kettle.

DeletedUser

your wrong prud. very wrong. thomas put forth ideas with flawed design and vehemently stressed how moral and right they were. when you heat a debate you get hot replies. this isnt an attack on him, its an attack on his ideas, his arguement, and the way he chooses to portray it.

DeletedUser

From where Im sitting I think Thomas was simply presenting one side of the question sub judice. The question being, is a person marked or characterized by the nature of their deeds? The point of what influence a violent movie or video game could have on minor children in the area was a valid one, I believe, to which the response, equally valid, was that the game was played only when the daughter was asleep, and that the Dad spent time with her when she was awake. Im sorry, I dont see the vehemence there.

DeletedUser

i wasnt responding to that post. sorry about the confusion. thats a side post as far as i am concerned. i was discussing his main post with all of the quotes.

DeletedUser

Yes, I agree with two types of fighting

BUT, all duels should come with a warning telegram to the challenged.

It is NOT a duel if you don't know it's coming. It's an ambush.

AND all true ambushes should be limited to so many (say no more than 5) per week.

:cool:

DeletedUser

I actually like this idea. Why did it die? I don't feel like reading 11 pages to find out. It could also be combined with the move duels out of towns concept, with ambushes occurring on the job and duels occurring in town.

Note: closed the poll.

DeletedUser

Lol at all of this. I wish I could find the west-hugs link...

New job should be wiping the noses of kids who really have no business playing a pvp game if they don't want to pvp, or playing the smallest violin in the world for those who lost a duel.

Why not just remove the dueler class and add cry-baby to the selection list.

DeletedUser

Another vote for the town Sheriff idea.
I have never seen this but from what I have read it seems a good idea. Although I would have a limit on the amount of duels you can decline, after all, dueling is a big part of The West and we can't have folks walking about waving, 'YOU CAN'T DUEL ME' flags.

Anything that adds more skill and thinking to the game cannot be bad.
It's not all about logging on, queuing up and logging off.

DeletedUser

I registered for the forum because I wanted to say my opinion on "dueling" and then found this thread.

I think this idea is well worth thinking about and working on it!

"Dueling" as it is now is just shooting people in the back while working. It is not even an ambush. No, I will not talk about how non-realistic it is, because, yes, this is a game and not reality. People play games to have fun, sometimes to escape from reality for a few minutes or hours a day. I will not talk about "poor duelers" who are so handicapped class, or "poor workers" who are being attacked by "evil duelers".

Lets talk about the subject that is of the biggest importance for the game owners and developers. So, people play games for fun. Some people like duels, some don't. How many people have you heard complaining about being dueled? Why did they complain? Because it was obviously not fun for them, but just caused stress and frustration. The West is trying to balance on the thin line between peaceful and constructive game and just another shooting game. That is not easy, I can't remember any online game that succeeded and I honestly don't believe The West is doing very well on that field. I'm sure developers conducted thorough research on that matter, but I will be only guessing.

What do people do when a game is not fun, or it is even becoming stressful? They quit. What is the average age group of "duel loving players" and "duel hating players"? I'd say "duel hating players" are older and employed. "Duel loving players" are teenagers. (Please don't post: I'm 14 and I don't like duels or I'm 35 and I love them! I'm just guessing an average age and I'm pretty sure I'm close to the real facts). Furthermore, who is more likely to pay for premium? Employed person or a teenager?

Even if my estimation is completely wrong, just take a look how many people are playing without towns. They decided to deny themselves a very interesting segment of the game just to avoid being dueled. Playing without town means you are missing fun of accomplishment when a new building is done or fun of socializing and meeting new people in the town forum, so I guess the game is a little bit more boring for them but still fun enough to keep playing.

Yes, sorry, I'm writing a novel here, but trying to prove my point and the point is: Duelers deny fun from people who don't like duels by dueling them. People that don't like duels DO NOT deny fun from duelers by building towns or trying to find a walking stick.

So, if the developers want to keep both types of players happy, something should be done about dueling. Suggestion in this thread seems a bit complicated, but would certainly make things better. I believe the will to do something about duels should be expressed by the game developers (or they should state they don't want to change anything). That would result in more brainstorming and more possible solutions. I know I am not going to waste my time on trying to find a solution if those in charge don't think they have a problem. Been there, done that.

DeletedUser

...Yes, sorry, I'm writing a novel here, but trying to prove my point and the point is: Duelers deny fun from people who don't like duels by dueling them. People that don't like duels DO NOT deny fun from duelers by building towns or trying to find a walking stick.

Yes, but that's not the point. Duellers already have a very small range of people they can duel; add the fact that sleeping gives you protection and at most each person can only duel about 1/4 of other players. Introducing a PvP flag system would weaken duelling even more. Point is that even though the game appeals to a wider range of players than most games it still doesn't please everyone, and that's fine. That's how everything is. Non-duelling players will find duelling slightly annoying, but that adds challenge to the game. If they don't accept that they should find a more peaceful constructive game which they will probably enjoy more. Duellers don't get the best jobs and what they are good at- duelling- doesn't give them a guaranteed reward like jobs, thus giving them a challenge. This aspect of duelling doesn't need to change since it's already serving it's purpose.

DeletedUser

This is just time wasting if you don't believe me play wild west online gunfighter, sorry to disagree. Nice try! it's been done.

DeletedUser

Don't like the idea, it just protects people even more, if they gonna decline everytime and you got a super sheriff then they are just never gonna get duelled? where's the sense in that........ and no I didn't read the whole thread, just going off the first and last few posts.

I'm an adventurer and I been knocked out more times than Frank Bruno, they duel because they picked dueler simple as that.

Ok let's say the adventurer HAS to ask for permission to sleep in a hotel upto 2 star for free? is that a good idea?

DeletedUser

Non-duelling players will find duelling slightly annoying, but that adds challenge to the game. If they don't accept that they should find a more peaceful constructive game which they will probably enjoy more.

Well, I could also say: "Duels should be removed completely. If dueling players don't like it, they should find another shooting game which they will probably enjoy more. At least there is plenty of them!" But I won't. Why? Because I have no right to do so. There are people who make a living out of this game, so it would be very unfair of me to tell their customers or potential customers to go elsewhere.

Only the fact that is mentioned so many times, how limited number of targets duelers have, tells us something about the opinion of majority of The West players.

Status
Not open for further replies.