Do you think teen violence can be blamed on T.V, video games, or music?

DeletedUser5046

well i think not te teen themselves are to blame....

i see it more as an influence...

beside if parents wont buy their teeners or youngsters any video games ...you think there mind will et as ' my mom dun want me to be a bad person' ?

i think its more like they will think ' why dun they buy me tat..?" while they see it played by other kids their age

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Parents would be better teaching their kids instead of overprotecting them and it's one or the other really. Smart kids who can make decisions themselves or children that need constant shielding.

DeletedUser5046

hmmm..i think it also depends on what kind of video games they play..or what kind of show they watch ...(it sounded like some other threads i know o_O)

DeletedUser

personally, I think it is music. The music from the '90s was "grunch" that's music which is about war, bush and other bad things.

DeletedUser

No music, videogame, film, book, or anything can be blamed for the acts of one individual. Saying such is to overstate the importance and effect of the medium, and to underestimate the critical mind of a human being.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled by whatever is poured into it as water into a jug. Had there been any truth to violent videogames making people violent, I'd long ago been a full-fledged killer. I have not numbers for how many pixeled men I have slain through fps, rts, or other games.

Those blaming it on games, or what not, are looking for an escuse, a reason, a simple one at that, whereas the reasons themselves might not even exist, or be far too complex to deserve any kind of simplification.

DeletedUser

Grunge music is evil? I live in (near) Seattle and I can tell you that grunge is about wearing flannel, growing goatees, and not bathing regularly, hence the term grunge. The bands most cosely associated with grunge, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, and Mudhoney were just part of a musical revolution that really just wanted to get away from bubblegum, hair band, trite music. They scoffed at bands like Guns n Roses (Axle is extremely racist) and instead tried to write music that was inspired and different.

DeletedUser

So you're saying that the media has had no part in it whatsoever? Think about that one long and hard my friend. No one is blaming them exclusively, but let's face facts: They're an influence which I've said all along. It glorifies violence. I used to think that suicide by cops was the most glorious way to go out. Then I turned 14 and realized that's silly. If they can influence me, they can influence anyone, especially those who are impressionable, badly parented, or naive.

No, I don't blame the media, friend. I blame the parents and the schools. If we allow our children to be violent and bullies, they will just get worse. Internet has just given kids a popular avenue for them to go about bragging about their exploits and unfortantly, our news programs and movies/sitcoms just give them new ideas to try out. This is why I stay in the room with mine when they are online and I watch all the shows they watch. We talk about why it isn't nice to act like a hoodlum in RL, and that a game/movie is imaginary. And as for music, mine don't like the violent songs...
Man has always been violent, as I said earlier. But now they are finding new ways to hurt and miam. Whether emotionally or physically. Unfortantly, our freedom of speech and press is getting all the blame. Have we become a nation who refuses to take the blame for our own decisions, therefore blaming everything on others? Our media is just reflecting our own warped natures, sadly. It doesn't cause it, therefore should not be the blame.

DeletedUser

Did you read what I wrote? Looks like I'm going to have to type it again. /sigh

No, the media is not directly responsible for violence, that is correct. However it is undeniable that they have been an influence. It's not just about "creative ideas" or whatever you were blabbering about, but it's about influence. There's also a pro to the effects of media: courage and heroism.

DeletedUser

Unfortunately, those things don't sell. Carnage, depravity, crime, all of those things sell. Why? I am not sure. I do know that when I see someone run into a plate glass window I cannot help but laugh. I do not like seeing people get hurt really badly though. There is something inside me where I can actually feel a bit of pain myself. Like in the movie American History X where he curb stomps the guy, it is implied but I still close my eyes and cringe and turn away. I am not sure if everyone else feels that way.
It can be said that anything can influence anyone but isn't there the addage "if your friends jump off a bridge...." you get the picture. Everyone should know that there is behavior that is not to be imitated but at what age do we come to this realization? There are some topics that certain maturity levels should not be witness to.
Poor example for you:When my five year old brother saw the movie Beetlejuice he took a marker and drew a door on the wall. Granted that was not violent behavior but it was behavior influenced by a movie.

DeletedUser

Carnage, depravity, crime...
Hmmmm, sounds like my last date.

You really can't point to just one or 2 things and say this is the culprit. Everything around us influences our decisions and how we think about things. A strong family unit that is not over protective but instead protective with explanations on why certain decisions are made help your children learn about decision making processes. Will you always know what your children are doing, watching or listening to 24/7. No. But you can instill in them the tools to make the right choices when you aren't around.

DeletedUser

No music, videogame, film, book, or anything can be blamed for the acts of one individual. Saying such is to overstate the importance and effect of the medium, and to underestimate the critical mind of a human being.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled by whatever is poured into it as water into a jug. Had there been any truth to violent videogames making people violent, I'd long ago been a full-fledged killer. I have not numbers for how many pixeled men I have slain through fps, rts, or other games.

Those blaming it on games, or what not, are looking for an escuse, a reason, a simple one at that, whereas the reasons themselves might not even exist, or be far too complex to deserve any kind of simplification.
then whats their source/influence to doing crimes? are suggesting that 1 baby may be naturally born to be evil while another may become non evil? everything has source. if the media/music/video games/books can't be blamed/influenced, that what is?

DeletedUser

Parent, society, everything. I think it would be difficult to blame any one thing. It is a combination of things.

DeletedUser

There's a difference between influencing and directly effecting, jesus people can we shut down this thread so everyone will stop talking in circles

DeletedUser

i agree Divest this topic keeps going around in too many circles. we need to close it.

DeletedUser

Thats why we have this discussion. Not like we are swearing, flaming, and then flippin eachother off. THEN we can close it. Now back to the subject.

Im a teenage myself yes. Ive known people who do drugs and seen people who do hard drugs. Yes Ive watched violent shows and movies. Yes I play violent video games like Halo, Oblivion, and Fable 2. And yes, I listen to heavy metal and hardcore. But Im a sweet guy from what people say. I never really payed attention, but I dress like a punk, my hair looks likes I never comb, and I love watching horror movies and listening to metal. But if you put a group of people who I know and arn't stereotypical, Im who I truly am. A goofy kid who loves to make people laugh. I don't like it when people say that Im a negative influence. Im a teenager who loves to make people laugh and make little children happy. Just because I LOOK like a negative influence, Im not. Don't judge people by who they are. Violence is part of life. For the greatest example of this, Hitler, Nero, and Stalin. Electronics won't influence who we are. Our emotions and our friends and the people we hang out with does.

DeletedUser5046

i agree Divest this topic keeps going around in too many circles. we need to close it.

why will we close such a nice topic? scared of admitting mistakes?!

look Jim, we are all here gathered together wit young ones because they are te one involve in tis very topic...we should listen to what they say and their opinions about being influenced, being bullied and being te one who do bad things. we arent perfect and even us can do bad things tat might influence te younger one :D

on te other hand, te 'forum parents' -- RL parents --- are here to make us somehow relate on how they keep track on their children and what we should do if we are in their shoes. . or if we are going to be parents...

DeletedUser

I'm just saying there's nothing left to debate.

* There's established irrefutable proof that the media has an influence on many different parts of society.
* It's up to the parents to raise their kids properly to make sure the influence doesn't come through negatively or overwhelm their children.
* There will be bad seeds no matter what.

There's isn't much else that's going to be said about this topic and there's nothing left to debate.

DeletedUser

good wrap up Devest, i would agree all of it. its pretty much over since thats a good conclusion! :D