Do you think teen violence can be blamed on T.V, video games, or music?

DeletedUser

Do you think teen violence can be blamed on T.V, video games, or music? Why, or why not?

Please debate below :)

And yay for first thread in debate area :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

No. Its stereotypical. Yes some CAN influence, but bull like "Listening to Judas Priest songs backwards and it will tell you to kill yourself" is completely fake. TV, well we are the ones who watch it and we are the ones who buy the violent video games. What we do with what we see and hear from it are our choices. And our mistakes. So forget thinking that it influences us. We make the choice to be violent and TV and video games are the things we steal the ideas for this violent. Its our fault and our choices. And we will live with it because of our choices.

DeletedUser

Yes and no.

I have 3 young children and I try to pay attention to what they are watching. While I think that I am very lenient when it comes to what they watch, play and listen to, at times I will tell them they are not allowed to do certain things because of violence, etc.

I think if you set someone down in front of tv or other form of 'violent entertainment' for hours on end, what at first might seem shocking behavior may eventually become acceptable behavior. That doesn't mean I think everyone is going to run out and commit murder after watching Saw or playing Mortal Kombat, but I do think it numbs a person to seeing those types of images.

I know if I tell my children they can't watch, play or listen to something I explain the reasons why. On the other hand, I have let my children watch all of The Matrix movies, Mission Impossible, LOTR movies, etc. Those have violence in them. I explain to my children that it isn't real. How they are actors in makeup or computer generated characters and that no one is really hurt.

So basically, I think if you take the combination of young children, add violent images, then do not talk to them about what they have seen that it does have an affect on them. I don't blame tv for trying to entertain the masses.

DeletedUser

it because there parents didnt beat the snot out of them when they where younger.spoiled them to much.
they then get a over inflated ego that they deserve something even though they really deserve nothing other then the beatings they missed when younger.

DeletedUser13682

Video games have been proven to be an outlet for violent behavior. Video games are actually a factor in lessening violence than increasing violence. Video games also help with hand eye coordination, making quick decisions, and some of them, remembering and problem solving skills.

DeletedUser

ok here is something that was said about video games which can be said for T.V, video games, and music that was said by Adam Sessler (Xplay, on G4) “...violence was existing even prior to the release of pong (TV, music).”

so would that mean that even if someone does not watch tv (play video games, or listen to music) that they could not be violent? no, they could be just as violent as someone who played video games watch tv or even listen to music.

DeletedUser

this isn't much of a debate with everyone taking the same side

DeletedUser

I don't think that watching an excessive number of violent movies or playing violent video games constantly makes a person more prone to violence; I think it's more likely that people with violent natures are more attracted to those things. Even if studies were to show that violent offenders watched more violent movies or played more violent games than the average person, it wouldn't really show which was the cause and which was the effect.

DeletedUser

it isnt the games themselves thats the prob in my mind, as much as its the parents giving them the games and in turn spoiling the kid.the game just expands on the kids attitude he deserves it,and that in turn makes the kid think he is only one that matters and other peoples feelings dont.
with that attitude they then can bring harm to others with no guilt.

DeletedUser

yes heavy metal and grand theft auto will warp your spine grow hair on your hands and bring a premature end to the universe. In fact even considering listening to Black Sabbath has condemned you to everlasting torment. If you have walked by a store that carries a copy of Halo you are similarly damned.

DeletedUser

I don't think that watching an excessive number of violent movies or playing violent video games constantly makes a person more prone to violence; I think it's more likely that people with violent natures are more attracted to those things. Even if studies were to show that violent offenders watched more violent movies or played more violent games than the average person, it wouldn't really show which was the cause and which was the effect.

one great example of someone that was not infuenced by violent video games is the verginia tech shooter

DeletedUser

one great example of someone that was not infuenced by violent video games is the verginia tech shooter

A counterexample in this debate proves nothing. Hitler wasn't influenced by violent video games either. No one is claiming that all mass murders are influenced by video games or video games always lead to mass murder.

DeletedUser

listing to madona or brittney spears makes me think of killing someone even myself.
ozzy makes me want to twist one up and play GTA all night

DeletedUser

i lisen to death metal, play some GTA games, and alot of bloody first person shooter games. teen violence comes from either a scarred and bad child hood which they learned the wrong thing at the wrong time, bad parents that allow them to think this is ok which from children into tennagers would learn the hard way that this isn't allowed. its all about timing to give your children the music, games or videos. too young and they will grow off of it. best time to give/show them is when they are mature.

i would blame the media (T.v.) for protraing so many steriotypes over the years. one is the teenager who watch alot of bloodly games to kill alot of people.every crime/addiction comes from a bad source.take away that source(bad parents, bad freinds) and they will take violence much less and wont do that kind of stuff since they have a good example of it.

DeletedUser

ok here is something that was said about video games which can be said for T.V, video games, and music that was said by Adam Sessler (Xplay, on G4) “...violence was existing even prior to the release of pong (TV, music).”

so would that mean that even if someone does not watch tv (play video games, or listen to music) that they could not be violent? no, they could be just as violent as someone who played video games watch tv or even listen to music.

It's not that you're wrong, Gizmo, because technically you're not, but your blind acceptance of that statement is a clear indication you don't understand the influence that video games can have on people.

Do I think that the media influences violence? Absolutely. Let's talk about all those amateur children wrestlers who accidentally kill their younger siblings. Let's talk about all those children who were taught that guns are awesome. HOWEVER, the media is an inevitability. It is up to the parent to do their best to raise their children not to embrace violence.

DeletedUser14280

I don't see the problem with violence in video games.
Isn't it displayed as wrong, or justified?

What if prostitution was depicted in video games?
Would someone playing those games a lot eventually go and solicit women?

DeletedUser

Prostitution is VERY widely displayed in video games. That being said, you're naive if you think that media doesn't have an influence on people. Very naive.

DeletedUser14280

Name one game that depicts prostitution.
I know they must exist, but I haven't played any.

DeletedUser

Godfather 1 & 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, and the entire Grand Theft Auto series.

Don't try arguing that those are obscure games either.

I'm not even going to get into the niche video games like Leisure Suit Larry.