A case for Scotland Yard

DeletedUser28032

Taking a seat at a corner table facing the door Jack regarded the woman before him ignoring her attempts to flirt with him as he spoke "No you won't have, Just got back from the colonies you see...nothing like home sweet home" he said with a smile spreading his arms out either side of him before letting them drop against his sides once again.
Taking a sip of his whiskey he regarded the woman as if he was trying to decide something though in truth it was all an act for her benefit "Perhaps you could help me...I am looking for an old friend of mine went by the name of Tommy Nine lives last time I was here...you wouldn't know where I could find him would you?" Jack asked quietly hoping that the woman wouldn't pick up on the fact that he didn't have a London accent and tip Tommy off that they were coppers, Jack didn't fancy having to chase him down through the snow nor did he want their only witness to get bumped off before they could speak with him.

DeletedUser

‘Aye dear. I know Tommy,’ the woman replied to Jack with a wide toothless grin. She was actually leaning in a little closer, her back almost pushing Brynn off her seat in her effort to get closer to Jack. ‘Me an Tommy be good friends we do, an any friend a Tommy’s is a friend a mine.’ She ended the sentence with a not so subtle wink. ‘He be upstairs in the first room, right next to mine, if ya know what I be meanin.’

DeletedUser25825

She looked at the haggard woman with a certain amount of distaste, and then around the interior of the bar room. As the bar lady pushed in to get closer to Jack, Brynn slid out of the place they were seated in. This was not a good place to be. She tugged on Jack's sleeve and muttered, "I'll be waitin' for ya outside guv'nuh. This isn't a place fo' me ta be a part of." She backed away, and disappeared out the front door.

Brynn tightened the thread bare coat around her and searched the street quickly as she got outside. When she noted nobody in the immediate area, she shook her left sleeve a bit and caught the silver pocket watch she'd nicked from the drunk gentleman. She examined its exterior, before popping open the cover plate to see if there was anything of note inside. As she did this, she hurried down the street toward a group of dock workers. They were circled in a manner that she guessed would indicate there was a fire barrel in their midst. It was close enough to be able to watch the inn her partners were in and she wouldn't freeze to death while she waited for them.

Brynn tucked the pocket watch away as she neared the men and called out in her most pitiful voice, the one with the perfect catch in her throat, "'Scuse me guv'nuhs. Might I share yer fire a spell? Bit of a chill about the air tonight there is." She sniffed for good measure as she slid closer to the men. She liked dock workers. They were lower class, but honest types who she generally always got along with.

DeletedUser31931

As the young man collapsed Esay hid his body up behind a wall out of sight from the street. Then he ran, as he charged the door he slammed his full body weight into it hoping it would break. He didn't know if Albert was in there but he needed to catch this butler before he made off on his escape.

DeletedUser

Albert's eyes widened as the butler grappled with him. This man was not ordinary.
As he tried to keep the knife away from his body, Albert noticed that they were nearing the lip of the stairs, and as such, an opportunity.
Albert used his cane, which was in his left hand, to poke the butler in the side, at the same time he used his right hand to hit the butler on the side of his head, using his fist sideways-on. Hopefully the combined force of the two blows would be enough to push the butler down the stairs.

DeletedUser

Inside the Princes House

Esay's shoulder connected hard with the heavy door and the wood around the bolt splintered and gave way. At the very same moment Albert lashed out against the butler. His first strike broke the old mans grip and the second sent hin staggering.

For a brief second the butler looked like he was going to catch himself but then his foot slipped and with a scream he toppled over the edge of the stairs.

Outside the Leaky Duck

'Sure lass,' said a burly labourer as Brynn asked for space around the fire.

'Shift over lads.' he ordered the others and they dutifully obeyed. He seemed to have a certain level of authority in the group. Turning back to Brynn he asked, 'Why aren't you at a shelter lass?'

DeletedUser31931

As the door splintered Esay saw Albert fighting with the butler. He saw the butler topple and fall down the stairs and relaxed, that threat was over. Brushing himself off he said "Everything alright?" to Albert. "There's a man unconscious outside, I say we bring him in and wait for him to come round."

DeletedUser

Albert watched, satisfied as the butler fell down the stairs with a scream. He turned his head as Esay bashed through the door and entered the room.
"Everything alright? There's a man unconscious outside, I say we bring him in and wait for him to come round."
Albert dusted off his coat, before turning to the commoner. "Yes, you do that. I shall proceed downstairs." With that, Albert turned on the spot and carefully began to make his way down the stairs.
The smell emanating from below was rather unpleasant, and the stairwell was considerably dark, and reeked with the smell of common folk. But duty called first.
He would investigate, and get results.

DeletedUser13682

Arriving at the dock, Peadar saw that the dock was filled with bustling activity. The docks were the same in Corcaigh, and in Dublin, and everywhere else in the world. The activity of the docks was possibly one of the few constants throughout the world. As they exited the coach, Peadar paid the driver while the others entered the Leaking Duck, a very idiotic name for a pub, although it was named by an Englishman, so it was understandable. He quickly joined the others, and was present when the group was bumped into by the drunken man. Peadar was ready for a fight, but Jack took care of it before Peadar had a say.

Entering the pub, Jack talked to a bartender, while Peadar sat next to him. Best not for him to speak, although the reason was extremely idiotic. Since Peadar was Irish, and at a dock, filled with drunk sailors, they might not take well to having an Irishman in their midst. Though he could be mistaken for Irish due to his red hair, the chances were low, unless he spoke. He quietly drank the whiskey while Jack conversed with the hag of a bartender. After hearing from the hag where Tommy Nine Lives was, Peadar headed up to the indicated room. Knocking on the door, Peadar spoke, “Tommy, I heard you were living up here. Friend of mine recommends you for some services. You willing to help out for a good cause?” Peadar emphasized the last part by jingling a few stray bob in his pocket.

DeletedUser28032

"Well that’s good to hear love, now if you would excuse me Tommy and I have some catching up to do though i'll be sure to come back another time" Jack replied rising from his seat in order to follow the Irishman upstairs though not before downing the contents of his glass.
With the old wooden staircase creaking under his feet he makes his way upstairs and over to Tommy's room was finding it exactly where the land lady had said it would be.
Pausing outside of the door he checks that the coast was clear before slipping his revolver out from his inside pocket and into the right hand pocket of his coat whilst DI O'Shannon spoke through the door.
Stepping to one side so that he wouldn't be seen by Tommy when he opened the door Jack quietly waited to see what would happen next.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser25825

Outside the Leaky Duck

'Sure lass,' said a burly labourer as Brynn asked for space around the fire.

'Shift over lads.' he ordered the others and they dutifully obeyed. He seemed to have a certain level of authority in the group. Turning back to Brynn he asked, 'Why aren't you at a shelter lass?'

Brynn stepped up close to the fire barrel and closed her eyes for a few moments as the heat emanating from the barrel basked over her face. She smiled the smile of unbridled rapture, and raised her hands up to catch some of the warmth. She lifted her eyes toward the lead laborer, offered a Cheshire grin and said, "I'm 'ere on official yard business I am. It's why I'm standin' at this 'ere barrel." She looked around expecting chuckles at her joke about both being as young as she was, but also her jab at the laziness of the officers and inspectors in general.

Her face grew serious and she said, "Nah, I'm not in some shelter because I'm still lookin' for some more of my children that hang out 'round 'bout these here docks I am. There's this bloke I hear told about, Tommy Nine Lives, or... somethin' like that. I 'ere told 'ees been 'elpin them out with findin' shelter and food. Thing is I can't find 'im either. Not supposin' any of you fine gentlemen know 'im?" Brynn rubbed her hands together as she frowned at the fire, as she tried to convey deep thought to the other men.

DeletedUser

Outside the Princes House
The serving boy was exactly where Esay had left him, though a fair bit colder. It took some effort but he was eventually carried into the house and laid out in a chair in the first room after the doorway, the library. Esay looked down at him and noticed that though he was pale, he was still breathing and had no obvious injuries.
Inside the Princes House
Albert descended the stairs carefully. The pool of light grew dimmer the lower he got but it was still enough to see by. At the foot of the stairs, illuminated by the faintest of glows was the body of the butler. His neck was twisted at an odd angle and one arm was clearly broken. Just beside the butler, jutting out from the shadows, was a ladies arm, deathly white and streaked with dry blood.
Albert had to fight back the urge to retch, the stench of decay was so strong.
Inside the Leaking Duck
The bar’maid’ watched the two men leave their table and head up the stairs. She sighed willy. One was handsome enough but the other was the strong silent type and she really liked the silent types. She made a note of his face in case he came back for her and then carried on with her duties.
At the top of the stairs Peader knocked on the door. They got no response but when Peader went to knock again he noticed that the door was loose in its frame, almost as if it had been pulled closed without the latch actually clicking back into place.
Outside the Leaking Duck
‘Tattle Tale Tommy?’ The labourer exclaimed to Brynn. ‘That little worm seems full of surprises recently. Aye lass, everyone knows little Tommy, he thinks he is smart but it’s no secret he is in the Duck. I am surprised he has been helping you kids like. All he ever cared about was himself and then there was that odd drifter and now the kids. The world isn’t alf an odd place.’

DeletedUser

Albert turned up his nose at the two bodies. Disgusting, yet, work was work, and he unfortunately had to do it if he was to be promoted to overall command of Scotland Yard. (OOC: For some reason I was about to type; if he was to be promoted to Supreme Chancellor. I think I need to get my head checked...)
Deciding on a course of action, Albert took out his handkerchief and placed it over his nose and mouth.
He stepped over the body of the butler, and turned his head to see where the dead woman's arm led.

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: Sorry, I've had a lot on my mind recently.)
Although Esay wasn't a doctor the boy looked alright. He decided that Albert might need help and appeared at the top of the stairs, having closed and locked the front door, and saw him moving off into the shadows. "Need any help? I've left the boy upstairs, he looks like he will be out cold for at least five more minutes." The fact that Albert had taken on this butler and won, unarmed, had earned part of Jame's respect however he felt that to earn his full respect Arthur would have to learn to accept him.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

(OOC: Zemmy it's Albert, not Arthur.)

"Need any help? I've left the boy upstairs, he looks like he will be out cold for at least five more minutes." Said Esay's voice from behind him.
Albert turned, lowering his handkerchief, he began to speak, trying not to gag from the smell. "Come down here, you may be of some use." He said briskly before replacing his handkerchief in it's previous position.

DeletedUser31931

"Come down here, you may be of some use." Albert said, James came down the stairs and as the smell hit him he gagged for about half a second as it hit him. Then he just gritted his teeth and carried on down the stairs "Looks like you did some serious damage." James said indicating the butler. "Do you want to go see if there are any candles upstairs? We would be able to see better then."

DeletedUser28032

With no reply coming from inside of the room and noticing that the door appeared to be unlocked Jack cast Peadar a concerned look "Watch the stairs whilst I take a look around inside" Jack whispered removing the revolver from out of his pocket, his thumb poised to pull back the hammer and fire should the need arise.
Wrapping the fingers of his left hand about the doors handle Jack slowly turned it in order to make as little noise as possible as he entered the room, pointing the pistol in his right hand up at the ceiling as he did so.
Once inside of the room he pushes the door to before scanning the room’s interior for any sign of its occupant.

DeletedUser

"Do you want to go see if there are any candles upstairs? We would be able to see better then." Said Esay.
'Yes." Albert replied through his handkerchief. "Go upstairs and get some."
He bent down to have a closer look at the dead butler, neck broken, arm broken. Definitely dead.

DeletedUser

Inside the Princes House

Albert checked the body of the butler while Esay retrieved candles. He was most definatly dead and that wasn't going to change any time soon but when Esay returned with lit candles the Butler was the least of their concerns.
An entire household had been put to the death here. Vicious cuts and slashes marked every body. There were eight in total. All of them servents of one form or another, all of them brutally killed and dumped in a small, otherwise empty, wine cellar.

Inside the Duck

Jack stepped cautiously into the room. It was not a big or well ventilated room and it held only a bed, chest and wash stand. Nothing struck Jack as unusual in the room other than a lump under the bed covers which could very well be a sleeping figure.

DeletedUser

Albert's moved amongst the dead bodies of the servants, examining each one in turn.
Eventually satisfied, he moved back to stand next to Esay.
"Fascinating." Albert muttered. Whoever had kidnapped the Prince had been very thorough, determined not to let witnesses go. Or at least go alive anyway.
Which could mean that maybe the Prince hadn't been kidnapped, perhaps the Prince was already dead.
Albert turned to face Esay. "Esay, you stay here, I shall summon a police cordon, and inform Flips of what has happened here." The DI ordered, with that, he moved back up the stairs, placing his handkerchief in his pocket.
Ignoring the unconcious body of one of the servants, Albert moved to the door.
Once outside, he summoned a hansom cab and gave his destination as Scotland Yard.