A case for Scotland Yard

DeletedUser25825

Brynn continued to stay hunkered in the alcove of the building she'd removed herself to after the last gentleman had walked up on her. As she continued to quietly blow her warm breath into her cupped hands her hazel eyes were drawn toward the side of the building she was watching as a door obviously was opened and the light from the interior of the building cascaded outward in an inviting manner.

She watched Filps move out onto the grounds of the station and stop at the gate. She recognized his silhouette and gait more than anything else about the man, though his voice was immediately recognizable as he called out into the street. She frowned. Was she really becoming so predictable? She was going to ignore him and then just tail the group when they adjourned, but her eyes fell toward the same thing the Filps probably had noticed. Small footprints in the snow leading exactly to where she sat shivering.

Brynn sighed, uncurled herself and stepped out of her little hiding spot. She, of course, didn't trust he wanted to just talk, so she remained on her side of the street and rubbed her small dirty hands together. She bowed quite formally toward her antagonist and straightened with a wide playful grin on her face. She said, "Are we truly becoming so acquainted my dear inspector then? It's true. Tis' cold enough to almost make it not worth the time to see why 'alf the yard be showin' up at this time a night. Course, I wouldn't be doin' my part were I to stay all nice and cozy like where I find kip, and then find out you've gone and stolen half my children from the streets in some sting. Why is it that you're lookin' fo' me then?" Her grin widened as she lied, "I 'aven't nipped nothin' in quite some time now. Honest!"

DeletedUser

'My dear girl,' Filps said as Brynn appeared, 'after this long I have quite honestly accepted defeat when it comes to catching you. I may not have been gracious in that defeat but non the less I need your expertise and it would be nice to know where you are for once. Now we could stand here and discuss how I have a small fund to donate to the Holy Trinity orphans or how I have those two Bradley twins in custody and could forget to charge them but let's be honest. You really want to know what's going on and I think that is enough to entice you in.'

Filps turned and walked back inside. 'It's up to you' he shouted over his shoulder 'but it is much warmer in here.'

------------------------

When Filps returned to the room he was dusting snow from his shoulder and warming his hands in his armpits.
He took his seat and beckoned for the others to take there's. 'I appologise for that gentlemen. Shall we begin?'

DeletedUser31931

James watched as Filps returned to the room. He wondered where Filps had been but no doubt they would discover soon enough. "I apologise for that gentlemen. Shall we begin?" Filps said to which Esay replied
"Of course! I want to know why you summoned all of us out here especially when I have never seen or heard of any of these men in my life before!" James wanted to know why he was here and he wanted to know now. No answers would probably be a very bad idea.

DeletedUser28032

(OOC: @ Bill - ah yes I'd forgotten about that, i'll try something else
@ Zem - its a big pocket :p)

Brushing the snow from off of his black Trilby hat he then drops it onto his lap looking about at the others currently in the room as he did so; two of the men were unmistakably upper class reminding him strongly of the officers he'd served under in Africa, mainly the bad ones who had gotten men killed through stupidity, He then recognised the next man dressed in crickets whites as DS O'Shannon having crossed paths with the Irish copper once or twice on a professional basis though never long enough to know the man.
The last man however looked decidedly dodgy and upon hearing James introduce himself as a thief and a conman Jack decided that he was probably right on the mark with his first impression.
Yet despite or maybe even because of his slightly iffy past it was James that decided to speak to him first.
"The Names Jack Hunter" he replied leaning out of his chair in order to shake the mans hand before leaning back once again with tiny puddles of melting snow gathering around his feet "So any idea's why the illustrious Scotland yard has requested my humble presence or are you as much in the dark as I am?" the man he'd assumed to be in charge had left almost as soon as he'd arrived, Jack just hoped he realised that he charged by the hour.

DeletedUser25825

Brynn continued to grin as the detective inspector basically admitted defeat in regards to capturing her, but then raised her eyebrows as Filps admitted he was looking for her expertise. She didn't have any expertise that she was aware of, or at least that he might come looking to her for. She was about to tell him off as such when he mentioned funds and the twins. She had heard the Bradley's got pinched a few days back. She frowned and cupped her hands in front of her lips to blow into as she thought about those two in some holding cell.

As Filps basically flat out invited her into the lion's den; with all its promises of warmth and reward, she thought, "Not bloomin' likely." However, was surprised to find herself hurrying across the street to catch up to the man. She followed several paces back and muttered, "If this is a ruddy trap my dear inspector, I'm goin' ta be right put out wiff you I am."

Brynn climbed the steps of the station, steeled herself, and crossed the threshold. The warmth of the interior immediately washed over her, and she couldn't conceal the content sigh that immediately escaped from her. She looked around at the interior as she followed Filps to the meeting room, more so to find exits and means to escape, rather than appraising anything to filch for the time being. She stopped in the hallway as Filps entered the room and pursed her lips thoughtfully as she heard the man greet others in the room with an apology.

Brynn took a deep breath, let it out slowly, and murmured, "Been in tougher spots you 'ave Brynn. Let's to it then..." and entered the room. Her bright hazel eyes immediately shot around the room, landing on exits before occupants. She recognized Filps, of course, and thought she'd seen a couple of others attached to law enforcement she'd seen in the city. The others she didn't recognize, save the one that tossed her free money. She rarely forgot those blokes. She leaned against the door jamb and studied each individual in turn as she wiped a dirty sleeve under her now runny nose and sniffed. She made quite the sight she was sure. Here were these gentlemen in nice clothing, suits, quality digs; and her, a filthy street urchin in clothing three sizes too big, a grubby hat and rag shoes. She watched for furtive movements, gauging probable stations in life, and other little nothings that mattered to her as she listened to DI Filps.

DeletedUser

'My apologies but as you will soon find out this is not your usual case and I wanted to be certain I had everyone I needed. Now lets get down to business shall we.' DI Filps looked over at the people around him. 'We have been entrusted with a rather sensitive case that is of the utmost importance. It is a missing persons enquiry but the missing person also happens to be a VIP.'

'I don't know if many of you are aware of our current political relations with Italy, I certainly didn't till this morning. Anyway, in order to solidify some trade agreement or another we were receiving a visit from one Armand Costello, a papal prince with many powerful connections.'

DI Filps rumaged through some papers until he found the one he wanted. It bore a sketch of a handsome, dark haired gentleman with a long waxed moustache and a thin scar on his left cheek.

'Details are still rather sketchy at the moment so I am afraid I am leaving you with very little to go on. He was seen at his suite just yesterday morning but has made no contact since. I am lead to believe that this is very out of character. Anyway I suggest starting with Armand's suite and personal staff, however a snitch of ours also claims to have seen Armand in the Docklands yesterday. I doubt the sighting is accurate but it may be worth checking out.'

Filps placed all the papers detailing each lead onto the table and looked up again. This time he looked to each person in turn. 'I am under orders to manage the situation from the station so DI Worthington-Smyth will be heading the investigation in the field. I would also like Mr Easy and Earl Blackfyre to take a role in the investigations around the Princes home and social contacts. Mr Hunter and Sergeant O'Shannon should take the lead in the docks. Please take young Brynn with you. I'm sure she will prove invaluable. Now have I missed anyone?'

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Albert wrinkled his nose in disgust as a sickening urchin entered the room, he took a step back, wanting to stay away from the sheer stench of a member of the Great Unwashed.
Flips began to explain the matter in question, Albert listened closely, seemed simple enough, missing papal prince.
At least he would be in charge. In the field anyway.
"Now, have I missed anyone?" Flips finished.
"I believe sir, that you have not. And if this orientation is concluded, I suggest gentlemen that we get to work." Albert spoke boldly.

DeletedUser28032

Moments after making his introduction to James, DI Flips returned to the room with the young urchin he'd seen outside in tow leading Jack to assume that she was some kind of informant and so paid her no mind as the detective started to explain the case.
It wasn't the first time he'd had to track down a missing person, admittedly in his line of work the majority of these missing persons were either unfaithful spouses or debtors trying to escape a loan shark but the principle was the same. However upon being told that he was to take the urchin with him Jack shifted in his seat so as to look straight at the middle aged detective stood in the doorway raising a single eyebrow as he spoke in rather emotionless tone of voice "You do realise that I am not a nanny right? If you want me to take her then I'll take her but she had better be able to keep up and fend for herself because I am not slowly down for her to keep up" also this is going to cost you extra mate he silently added to himself mentally adding the cost of feeding the girl to his bill.
With his opinion on the girl now said and out in the open Jack shifts back to the case at hand seeing no need to labour the point any further "Can you provide us with a name and description of this snitch? Might be easier to get the information straight from the horse’s mouth so to speak" he asked returning to his original position in the chair, it would also give him a chance to judge whether or not the man was pulling a fast one.

DeletedUser

DI Filps allowed himself a moment to enjoy his fellow DI's discomfort. It was almost enough to make the whole situation worthwhile. Unfortunately there was still a case to solve and Jack Hunter's voice quickly brought him back to the matter at hand.

'Indeed Mr Hunter,' Filps replied to Jack's enquiry, ignoring the other comments. He would let the girl defend herself as he knew she was more than capable of doing so. 'He goes by the name of Tommy. Tommy Nine-Lives to be precise. He is well known as a grass and has developed a reputation after surviving a number of failed murder attempts. He is now trying to bargain for protective custody and is apparently contactable through the Leaking Duck pub in the Docklands.'

Filps pushed the documents detailing the lead across the table. 'There is little else to tell I'm afraid. Tommy is not my informant and the officer who normally deals with him is being rather defensive about his source.

DeletedUser

"Hello Albert, nice to make your acquaintance too." Damon said while he looked at all the others. He looked at a street urchin. Damon, even though he was rich and noble, was once a street urchin. He showed a sense of humbleness and asked, "What is your name little one?".
He then asked DI to begin whatever he's proposing. Damon listened to Flips quietly and keenly, trying to deduce the case down and point a few suspects. He kept on listening to him and drank water in between.

DeletedUser13682

After Filps had left the room for whatever business, and had left the others to introduce themselves, Peadar let out a huff and an exclamation. “Jeanie Mac! A posh limey, a thiefing Taffy (Welshman), and hello again Mr. Hunter. Glad to see you’ve come back from the war.” Suddenly, another man walked into the room, dressed in a similar style to the posh limey. “And another posh limey! Can’t get away from them in this bleeding town! For all of you that don’t know me, I’m detective sergeant Peadar O’ Shannon. Guess that means all you posh limeys who probably bought your ranks get to order me around. You’re lucky we’re on the same side, for now, but remember, this current truce is shaky as guff.” Most of this talk was just to try and keep the poshies in line, but knowing them, and their superiourer than thou ways, it wouldn’t work, though it is always better to try.

DI Filps returned a few moments later, and explained the case. Apparently, a papal prince had gone missing while visiting London. Why Britain wanted anything to do with Italy was beyond Peadar’s reasoning. “I say we can solve it right here. Ask your parliament what they did with the Prince. Your country has been punishing us Catholics for hundreds of years, and now you want to be friendly with the heart of Catholicism? And right afterwords, your new buddy, Prince Armand Costello, goes missing while in the heart of anti-Catholic activity, and your parliament suddenly gets antsy, and sends CID to look for him. I think it’s just a sham, a way to exploit and prosecute the Catholics again, just like you’ve always done.”

A few moments later, a young street kid enters the room. Posh 1 turns away in disgust, as DI Filps explained that this young girl was Brynn, and would help out with the investigation. She would be sent with Mr. Hunter and DI O’ Shannon to the docks to investigate a source about this. Jack didn’t really like this idea, but Peadar, knowing of the horrible problem of childhood poverty, and their need to live on the streets, especially in Irish cities like Dublin and Cork, because of government inactivity, accepted Brynn’s presence, but doubted that whatever skills she had would be useful in talking to a source. Either way, he tossed her a couple pence, with the promise, “There’ll be more where that came from, Brynn, if you can prove your worth.” After grabbing the file on the source, a man named Tommy Nine Lives, Peadar announced to the others in his group, “Let’s get down to this source, before the posh club decides they want us to wash their coaches.”

DeletedUser

Albert stood by as first one of the commoners inquired about the disgusting urchin, and the Irishman rambled on about the prosecution of Catholicism.
“Let’s get down to this source, before the posh club decides they want us to wash their coaches.” The Irishman finished.
"I suggest that you remember your place paddy." Albert said flatly. "Now, to avoid the further waste of time I suggest that work commences. Mr Esay and Earl Blackfyre, follow me." He finished, before opening the door and stepping forth into the corridor.

DeletedUser31931

Esay watched the proceedings unravel with interest. As Albert started ordering Esay around, he rolled his eyes and sighed but stood and began to follow Albert down the hall. He decided that if he was going to get anywhere on this case he would have to do what Albert said for now. Once he was in the field however, it was his game.

DeletedUser

Aware that at least one of the group was following him, Albert let the butler show him out.
He stepped through the doorway onto the cobbled street outside, carriages moved down the road, as ladies and gentlemen walked on the pavements.
Albert stepped onto the kerb and hailed a hansom cab, as it moved over to him, Albert turned to Esay, who was standing behind him.
"Mr Esay, it would be to my preference if you were to take a separate cab." Albert said briskly as he climbed into the carriage.

DeletedUser25825

Brynn stayed in the doorway, looking more ready to bolt at any given moment, rather than actually listening as she probably should have been. She noticed the one gentleman retreat from her presence, and the accompanying look of utter distaste directed at her. She watched the bloke what gave her coppers look toward her and rattle on about her having to tow her own line. To her credit she bit back the retort and didn't even roll her eyes; instead taking that moment to again sniff her running nose and wipe her sleeve under it once again. She didn't even flinch as obvious class and even race clashes occurred around her. Being amongst the undeserving poor, she was used to seeing that, and it was par the course. A more swarthy looking gent tossed her more money, which she caught and immediately pocketed with a nod.

As the meeting broke up, and the men started moving around, she immediately retreated down the hallway, past the butler, and out into the cold again. She shoved her hands into her pockets, and looked up at the hazy outline of the moon through the clouds. She idly wondered when the snowfall would stop as she waited for whomever it was she was supposed to be with emerged. The first group to emerge was that hauty fellow that didn't like her without even knowing her and his group. She smiled at the man, revealing surprisingly bright white teeth for one of her station, and watched him mostly ignore her presence as he snottily informed one of the group that they would be taking their own hansom.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31931

Esay's polite smile dropped as they left the building and the carriage pulled up. "Of course sir, that is if you want to explain to your superiors why the investigation was delayed by several hours that may have ended up being critical to the case because you refused to share a carriage with one of those whom you were working with. Or do you want me to leave now and investigate with my own contacts about the prince's social life and maybe yours whilst I'm at it. I'm sure you have some dirty secrets you don't want to see the light of day." James smiled sweetly and the Detective, if this posh man was going to look down on James then he was going to regret it enormously.

DeletedUser

Albert's face turned into a disapproving frown as Esay attempted to lecture him. Damned commoner.
"I suggest that you remember your place, and that I am your superior, and if you do not obey my orders the consequences will be severe." Albert replied in a stentorian voice.
How could Flips bear to work with such unruly commoners?

DeletedUser

The cab driver watched the two men arguing with a confused interest. He had no idea what was going on and knew he shouldn't get involved but he wasn't getting paid till someone got in.
Giving a nearby urchin girl a wry smile he turned back to the man who had hailed him and asked, 'you wan't a ride or not guv?'

DeletedUser

"you wan't a ride or not guv?"Asked the cab driver from behind him.
Not moving his gaze from Esay, Albert replied; "I shall." DI Worthington-Smythe turned on the spot and climbed up into the hansom cab.
He gave the driver the address of the Prince's house and closed the carriage door behind him, not giving Esay a chance to get in.
Pathetic lowlife commoner scum. Did he think he could talk to DI Albert Worthington-Smythe like that and get away with it? He'd make that rifraff pay.

DeletedUser

The cab driver gave Esay an apologetic shrug of the shoulders before flicking his reigns and pulling away. Thankfully there was no shortage of cabs on the streets. The cold was keeping people inside but drivers still needed to earn a living and they circled, eagerly looking for work.